HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 7:14 PM

I did a bit of sloppy photoshoping to see how the dark windows will look. I still think the light windows are better but it still looks pretty darn cool!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 7:31 PM

That's cool. I still like but I agree. The tranparents glass is better.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 8:51 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Ohhh... I actually like the dark. That'll standout more. Look different. Either way, the building is amazing. Can't wait to see it finish day and night look.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 12:31 PM

A view of the site from one of The Windsor's penthouses:

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:16 PM

That's great shot!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 12:43 AM

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 10:56 AM

Well this definitely did not go up as fast they expected but even if it tops out in 6 months instead of 4, for a 24-story building that is a super fast construction. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:55 PM

I drove by yesterday and noticed that the finish on the white portions of the building façade are stucco/ uneven. Hopefully that's not the final finish because it made the building look like a Spanish style home from South Florida.

I was thinking it'd be smooth and pure white. Surely they will finish that more smoothly?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:37 AM

I was really wanting to like this building. Thought it had potential. But... I work right across the street and have seen it go up. Someone mentioned the stucco, it does look cheap, and the windows do as well. it manages to feel a bit like a high-rise suburban office park. The footprint for the building is actually a very straight forward box, the "design" aspect of the building comes from just mixing up the balcony and window spacing to break it up. The overall feeling though feels a little like a stage fascade. I prefer building interest that rises from the actual structural systems, not just playing with the arrangement of the fake styrofoam stucco. One thing that puts me off as well is the way it's so forward coming right to the sidewalk, when everything for blocks either way has a definite slight setback. It just makes if feel a little rude and pushy. Though I'm sure it's great for the people who live in those front corners and look right down the street from the side windows. I'm hoping it's better as it completes. I'm hoping they at least paint the thing a bit to match surrounding materials a bit more. Still hard to tell what the street level will feel like. I applaud their trying something different, but just hope it's visually successful.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:14 AM

I wanna be optimistic because JPX Works' founder and head is Jarel Portman of the Atlanta Portmans.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I wanna be optimistic because JPX Works' founder and head is Jarel Portman of the Atlanta Portmans.
Same. I'm withholding judgement until we see more progress on this one. The project itself has already done a lot that most/all other developments in Atlanta have not with a modern facade, shared parking with an adjacent building, and heavy engagements with the community during initial announcements.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:45 PM

I strongly suspect that this project will end up looking much better than it does right now when it's complete.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:41 PM

To be honest I don't love the aesthetic of the tower at this point. I'm wondering if the white stucco with the dark glass and mullions may be too strong of a contrast. But it is still early so I am in a wait and see mode as well.

Here's another view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT2fu5MjHf5/

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 3:27 PM

Thought they'd at least use those panels or whatever material they use these days. Stucco is kind of cheap and awful especially if it's the uneven type.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:01 PM

Who is the architect?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Who is the architect?
ODA. They generally do nice work, but this one seems to have been value-engineered to hell. ODA even took it down from their website.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:22 PM

Y'all are judging a building before it is even finished. Exterior claddings have multiple layers, it is still possible that different cladding will sit on top of what is currently there.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Y'all are judging a building before it is even finished. Exterior claddings have multiple layers, it is still possible that different cladding will sit on top of what is currently there.
That's what I'm hoping for, but it is a little suspicious that the project is nowhere to be found on the firm's website. And I've seen far too many luxury towers covered in EIFS get built this cycle to be 100% optimistic.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
ODA. They generally do nice work, but this one seems to have been value-engineered to hell. ODA even took it down from their website.
It was never on their website

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 1:09 AM

When I drove by today the "stucco" on the outside looked like a plaster of some sort. I could still see tape and spray paint underneath it. I think they're definitely going to cover that up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta