HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:55 PM

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 9:34 PM

With regard to the big hole that is the CODA foundation - they now appear to be putting in some type of raft foundation to support a corner area of the future building. They have removed an enormous amount of dirt so far.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Here's the rejected design for the Coda project.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Here's the rejected design for the Coda project.

Are you fucking serious...

What?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post

What?
Agreed. How did we get stuck with a giant box when this is on offer?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post

What?
I know that Cousins was the other finalist so I'm assuming this is what they came up with.

Is Portman a GT alum? That's the only reason I can think of why the current building was chosen over this.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:54 PM

This was designed by Pickard Chilton. Cousins has used them for several of their office project such as Terminus in Buckhead. I think this design obviously handles the various components of the site much more artfully.

http://kylebeneventi.com/pickard-chilton

more renderings

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:07 PM

Atlanta, where we take the worst, cheapest build and plop it up without community input. The majority of our proposals would be laughed out of larger cities neighborhood groups and certainly by the planning board. I have learned to love Atlanta but too often it seems we take anything for the sake of "progress" even if it's a crap choice. Hopefully Portland had a schedule and all the financing lined up over cousins, otherwise GT made a horrendous decision.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This was designed by Pickard Chilton. Cousins has used them for several of their office project such as Terminus in Buckhead. I think this design obviously handles the various components of the site much more artfully.
FYI - Terminus was designed by Duda Paine. Pickard Chilton was the architect for 1180 Peachtree Street.

http://www.dudapaine.com/portfolio_page/terminus/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1180_Peachtree

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Atlanta, where we take the worst, cheapest build and plop it up without community input. The majority of our proposals would be laughed out of larger cities neighborhood groups and certainly by the planning board. I have learned to love Atlanta but too often it seems we take anything for the sake of "progress" even if it's a crap choice. Hopefully Portland had a schedule and all the financing lined up over cousins, otherwise GT made a horrendous decision.
I would think Portman is the most famous living GT Alum architect and certainly most famous Atlanta architect, so I can see why they favored him over the cousins' proposal. Schools take pride in their alum and use them as a recruiting tool.

I don't see anything 'cheap' about CODA- it has underground parking unlike the cousin's proposal, and there are some quite expensive curved features and expansive atriums throughout. If you look at the diagrams, you will see that, like CODA, this proposal had no street activation on the north side of the building, as that is where the data center is. Also, in my opinion CODA has a much more impressive outdoor space. This proposal has street activation on the west and south sides of the building (as CODA does) but without any sizable public plaza, which campuses favor. As others pointed out, this proposal does not have the floor areas that tech companies favor. The only thing this proposal has that is positive is height- and that is why I think people really like this, not for any other reason.

Last edited by montydawg; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
FYI - Terminus was designed by Duda Paine. Pickard Chilton was the architect for 1180 Peachtree Street.

http://www.dudapaine.com/portfolio_page/terminus/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1180_Peachtree
Yep. Good catch. Duda Paine is the firm I was thinking of.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:12 PM

That is utterly disgusting that that was rejected...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I would think Portman is the most famous living GT Alum architect and certainly most famous Atlanta architect, so I can see why they favored him over the cousins' proposal. Schools take pride in their alum and use them as a recruiting tool.

I don't see anything 'cheap' about CODA- it has underground parking unlike the cousin's proposal, and there are some quite expensive curved features and expansive atriums throughout. If you look at the diagrams, you will see that, like CODA, this proposal had no street activation on the north side of the building, as that is where the data center is. Also, in my opinion CODA has a much more impressive outdoor space. This proposal has street activation on the west and south sides of the building (as CODA does) but without any sizable public plaza, which campuses favor. As others pointed out, this proposal does not have the floor areas that tech companies favor. The only thing this proposal has that is positive is height- and that is why I think people really like this, not for any other reason.
Actually with the space that Tech will be occupying, there are only three floors that have what might be considered large floor plates (counting both wings of the building). So I genuinely doubt that floor area played any part in this decision. The floor plates of the wider section of the Cousins proposal are easily as large as the typical floor plate in the Portman building.

http://codatechsquare.com/building/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Actually with the space that Tech will be occupying, there are only three floors that have what might be considered large floor plates (counting both wings of the building). So I genuinely doubt that floor area played any part in this decision. The floor plates of the wider section of the Cousins proposal are easily as large as the typical floor plate in the Portman building.

http://codatechsquare.com/building/
CODA is a L shaped building occupying the whole block. The proposal's tower portion appears to only occupy the south east quarter of the whole block. I don't see how the floor plates are even comparable. CODA appears to have at least double if not triple the amount of space per floor.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gorgeous! That bar looks very inviting.
I'm kinda disappointed that they're going with a food court concept, when there are already two failed food courts only blocks away. The two-story AT&T food court (where you have the North end of the N Ave. MARTA), that's a ghost town, and the AT&T food court on Cypress that's down to just a Willie's and a Chik-fila that's only open at lunch. The open to street restaurants on 5th fare much better and have a pretty lively street feel. Hopefully CODA is still close enough to the GA tech traffic to pull that in.

They have that entrance with the walk up from 4th street, up to the food court, wish they had that open more with some street view dining.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:29 PM

Looks like a second tower crane will be going up soon. The base is in.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post

those are definitely some worthy positives, and i think it will turn out better than expected. still the other proposal's design was more interesting IMO - the facade, the trees on what looks like an elevated park of sorts, and of course the height.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:04 PM

Second tower crane is being installed this morning (Saturday)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:19 PM

At one point, someone I know at Tech, said their would be 4 cranes???

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:49 PM

That seems unlikely, I think those two are enough to cover the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta