HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:47 AM

And so it begins...

Tamarind Seed to temporarily close for two years while Colony Square goes through renovations.

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.ajc.c...for-two-years/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:43 AM

Haha, two years plus delays is not temporary. It will be a different restaurant if they ever come back.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:43 PM

Food hall ‘Main & Main’ to anchor Colony Square

Quote:
The planned redevelopment of Midtown’s Colony Square will include a new food hall called “Main & Main.”

North American Properties, which acquired the property at 14th and Peachtree streets in Midtown in late 2015, announced the addition Tuesday evening.

Steve Palmer of Charleston-based hospitality group The Indigo Road, which is behind restaurants such as sushi spot O-Ku and Oak Steakhouse, will serve as “chef curator” for Main & Main.

Architect David Thompson will lead the design.

There will be a dozen or more culinary concepts in the food hall. No tenants have been announced yet. North American plans to break ground this fall.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:42 PM

Colony Square groundbreaking Oct 10

Quote:
The first phase, opening July 4, 2018, the 50th anniversary of Colony Square’s original groundbreaking, will include street-level restaurants and retail wrapping the 100 building.

The second phase, opening March 14, 2019, will feature street-level restaurants wrapping the 400 building.

The third phase, opening Nov. 21, 2019, will include a "luxury" movie theater, Main & Main, modern office space and a curated collection of fitness concepts
https://whatnowatlanta.com/colony-sq...ground-oct-10/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:55 PM

I'm pumped about the luxury movie theater!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 12:33 AM

A part of me wonders if this project is going to look very silly... whatever- at least they’re bringing retail by 14th street (100 building) first. A shame we are waiting two years for a movie theatre. Could really use more entertainment options in midtown!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
A part of me wonders if this project is going to look very silly... whatever- at least they’re bringing retail by 14th street (100 building) first. A shame we are waiting two years for a movie theatre. Could really use more entertainment options in midtown!
OMG!!! I had some friends that came up from Miami during the hurricane evacuations and ALL of them were like if Midtown is the spot, it’s boring as hell. Back when Atlanta was Hotlanta...one thing that was evedent was nightlife. Some of us hate on Buckhead, but the pedestrian activity in the Buckhead Village was incredible!!! We haven’t seen anything comparable like that since. Some people on here talk about how there people walking all around Midtown...that’s a joke and clearly these people haven’t been to other cities. Sorry for the rant, but goshawk as much as I love Atlanta, these pretty buildings that have these large sidewalks honestly have done nothing for the energy at night. And trust me...there are a lot of people not only in the socialite scene that feels this way.

With that being said, I’m not sure what could be done.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
OMG!!! I had some friends that came up from Miami during the hurricane evacuations and ALL of them were like if Midtown is the spot, it’s boring as hell. Back when Atlanta was Hotlanta...one thing that was evedent was nightlife. Some of us hate on Buckhead, but the pedestrian activity in the Buckhead Village was incredible!!! We haven’t seen anything comparable like that since. Some people on here talk about how there people walking all around Midtown...that’s a joke and clearly these people haven’t been to other cities. Sorry for the rant, but goshawk as much as I love Atlanta, these pretty buildings that have these large sidewalks honestly have done nothing for the energy at night. And trust me...there are a lot of people not only in the socialite scene that feels this way.

I don't feel like many people try to claim that Midtown is the ultra nightlife district of Atlanta, it is just a nice place to live and work. If your friends wanted to see packed bars and sidewalks, there is plenty of that in Virginia Highland or the Buckhead bar scene on weekend nights.

I agree with you though that people over-hype the density of Midtown. It definitely doesn't have the type of pedestrian traffic that you see in other large cities. Hopefully, it gets better with some of this new development.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:41 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllen View Post
I don't feel like many people try to claim that Midtown is the ultra nightlife district of Atlanta, it is just a nice place to live and work. If your friends wanted to see packed bars and sidewalks, there is plenty of that in Virginia Highland or the Buckhead bar scene on weekend nights.

I agree with you though that people over-hype the density of Midtown. It definitely doesn't have the type of pedestrian traffic that you see in other large cities. Hopefully, it gets better with some of this new development.
While not the size or extent of Midtown or Buckhead, the bars and restaurants of EAV are crowded just about every night.

Last edited by SteveD; Sep 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah you have to go to Edgewood, Virginia Highland, or EAV these days for a decent bar scene. L5P is also pretty decent.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:27 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Back when Atlanta was Hotlanta...one thing that was evident was nightlife. Some people on here talk about how there people walking all around Midtown...that’s a joke and clearly these people haven’t been to other cities. Sorry for the rant, but goshawk as much as I love Atlanta, these pretty buildings that have these large sidewalks honestly have done nothing for the energy at night. And trust me...there are a lot of people not only in the socialite scene that feels this way.
But there ARE people walking all over Midtown, Blanche, there ARE!

I would much rather have the Atlanta of today over the Hotlanta of the past. As someone who walks all over Midtown and can see a boatload of the neighborhood from my balcony, I can attest to the remarkable uptick in pedestrian activity.
Is it still the drunken idiots (of which I was one) stumbling out of Backstreet and Weekends at 4am? Thank God no although the crowd from Bulldogs doesn't seem to have gotten the message. Do other cities have larger crowds on the streets? No doubt (I've even been to some!) but I'm not really sure what that has to do with the change in Atlanta pedestrian activity.
Anyone who doesn't believe there are crowds need only grab a beer at Fado and sit for a while on their patio (OK, 'smoking porch' ) and watch the people stream by. Try and get a seat at the bar at Babalu or the bartender's attention at Establishment. Count how many people are waiting with you to cross the street at 10th and Monroe. Is it Times Square or Bourbon Street out there? No, it's Atlanta and I'm VERY grateful for that.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
What do you mean look silly?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
But there ARE people walking all over Midtown, Blanche, there ARE!

I would much rather have the Atlanta of today over the Hotlanta of the past. As someone who walks all over Midtown and can see a boatload of the neighborhood from my balcony, I can attest to the remarkable uptick in pedestrian activity.
Is it still the drunken idiots (of which I was one) stumbling out of Backstreet and Weekends at 4am? Thank God no although the crowd from Bulldogs doesn't seem to have gotten the message. Do other cities have larger crowds on the streets? No doubt (I've even been to some!) but I'm not really sure what that has to do with the change in Atlanta pedestrian activity.
Anyone who doesn't believe there are crowds need only grab a beer at Fado and sit for a while on their patio (OK, 'smoking porch' ) and watch the people stream by. Try and get a seat at the bar at Babalu or the bartender's attention at Establishment. Count how many people are waiting with you to cross the street at 10th and Monroe. Is it Times Square or Bourbon Street out there? No, it's Atlanta and I'm VERY grateful for that.
I don’t follow your “Blanche”...maybe it’s best that I don’t. But I understand your excitement for Atlanta. I will guess that the more pedestrian activity you see or not see, your opinion will stay the same. My thoughts were specifically about nightlife, be it clubs, lounges, restaurants, etc. The entire vibe and energy. Years ago on this forum, a popular statement people said all the time was that tall buildings aren’t city make...though this was a reference for BUCKHEAD, because at that time, Buckhead was getting a lot of the tall buildings. IMO, this is now happening with Midtown. So yes I love the development going on in Midtown and the city at large, but just as other cities have proven, there’s no reason that the nightlife has to diminish. Let’s think big picture that’s all.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:53 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
I don’t follow your “Blanche”...maybe it’s best that I don’t. But I understand your excitement for Atlanta. I will guess that the more pedestrian activity you see or not see, your opinion will stay the same. My thoughts were specifically about nightlife, be it clubs, lounges, restaurants, etc. The entire vibe and energy. Years ago on this forum, a popular statement people said all the time was that tall buildings aren’t city make...though this was a reference for BUCKHEAD, because at that time, Buckhead was getting a lot of the tall buildings. IMO, this is now happening with Midtown. So yes I love the development going on in Midtown and the city at large, but just as other cities have proven, there’s no reason that the nightlife has to diminish. Let’s think big picture that’s all.
Blanche = random (and quite possibly, stupid) reference to Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

I understand your point...there used to be an amazing amount of nightlife activity in the neighborhood. I would guess that the thousands of new residents are much happier with the current street activity rather than bar crowd.
As exciting as it may be to visit a dense concentration of bars and clubs, do you really want to live in that neighborhood? I don't expect dead silence in the middle of a city but wish that people would respected the neighborhood. When the horn blowing, shouting, stereo blasting, puking, singing and several other "ings" I won't go into, start happening at 3am, followed by police sirens and orders to disperse blasted over a megaphone, there's a problem.
I think Midtown is much better off as the type of neighbor it has become rather than the nightlife center is used to be. For better or worse, the number of corporate and residential developments doomed the nightlife.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
What do you mean look silly?
Everything. They’re building out essentially a two story addition to a building of a different style. On top of it, the retail still does not engage the sidewalk or street in most instances:

It’s like they’re adding retail because they are a dead space. I get pedestrian plazas being inviting... I just don’t think that’s what we’ll receive with this project. I feel like the pedestrian plaza will feel secluded like so many other Atlanta projects going on. I don’t want seclusion. I want to see people out and about.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Everything. They’re building out essentially a two story addition to a building of a different style. On top of it, the retail still does not engage the sidewalk or street in most instances:

It’s like they’re adding retail because they are a dead space. I get pedestrian plazas being inviting... I just don’t think that’s what we’ll receive with this project. I feel like the pedestrian plaza will feel secluded like so many other Atlanta projects going on. I don’t want seclusion. I want to see people out and about.

Still don't quite get it but thanks for the reply.
I do think the designers are taking into account the architectural style of the existing buildings but of course personal tastes will come into play.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:05 PM

I guess Eataly is not coming?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I guess Eataly is not coming?
No. NAP had said that they would bring in Eataly or have their own food hall so the Main & Main announcement means no Eataly.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
No. NAP had said that they would bring in Eataly or have their own food hall so the Main & Main announcement means no Eataly.
would have been nicer to have a grocer for all the residents, IMO

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 9:23 PM

More renderings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta