HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:20 PM

If you're speaking of the Walmart in Historic Westside Village, it's not really convenient to downtown. Target is dead with no future, they don't know how to market. Walmart has a far greater draw with more selection - perfect for downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:40 PM

don't think we don't see the coded language here. "broad spectrum of customers" = "not so many poor/black people". i'm really having a hard time getting excited about seeing underground being turned into another urban playground for the elite rather than do something for the community that never gave up downtown even when it was too scary for y'all.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
don't think we don't see the coded language here. "broad spectrum of customers" = "not so many poor/black people". i'm really having a hard time getting excited about seeing underground being turned into another urban playground for the elite rather than do something for the community that never gave up downtown even when it was too scary for y'all.
If you choose to see race in my statement that is your problem and not mine. I feel ZERO need to justify myself as it relates to race relations and I will leave it at that. It is news to me that poor and black people do not shop at Target, but the idea that Target is for the elite is just plain silly. I was referring to the appeal Target across the economic spectrum and yes I absolutely believe that it is in downtown's best interest to have a residential population that is not predominantly poor.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:51 PM

Yeah Martin didn't mean any malicious intent in his statement. He's right. Target does target(no pun intended) a broad range of customers and socioeconomic classes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
don't think we don't see the coded language here. "broad spectrum of customers" = "not so many poor/black people". I'm really having a hard time getting excited about seeing underground being turned into another urban playground for the elite rather than do something for the community that never gave up downtown even when it was too scary for y'all.
lol

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:26 PM

As a 15 year resident a mile away Target would be welcome in my opinion but then again maybe I'm not one of those long term residents you speak about?!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
If you're speaking of the Walmart in Historic Westside Village, it's not really convenient to downtown. Target is dead with no future, they don't know how to market. Walmart has a far greater draw with more selection - perfect for downtown.
you are a funny guy, you know

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
yes I absolutely believe that it is in downtown's best interest to have a residential population that is not predominantly poor.
gentrifying isn't going to make anyone not poor; it's just going to move them somewhere else. so "downtown's best interests" in this instance is not in the interests of the people who already live there. it's in the best interests of people that are not from downtown and don't live downtown. ergo, it's in everybody else's best interest that the people who currently live and shop downtown can no longer afford to do so.

my point is not to catch you and label you a racist, and it's not about target in particular. my point is to get people who come from a more suburban/white background to think more critically about how these issues affect actual people of lower socioeconomic standing and stop prioritizing manmade constructions over the actual people who use them. if we destroy the community in the process, we aren't improving it. we're basically saying "these inanimate buildings are more important to me than the community of people that live there" and honestly that's really problematic.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
you are a funny guy, you know
I agree.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
gentrifying isn't going to make anyone not poor; it's just going to move them somewhere else. so "downtown's best interests" in this instance is not in the interests of the people who already live there. it's in the best interests of people that are not from downtown and don't live downtown. ergo, it's in everybody else's best interest that the people who currently live and shop downtown can no longer afford to do so.

my point is not to catch you and label you a racist, and it's not about target in particular. my point is to get people who come from a more suburban/white background to think more critically about how these issues affect actual people of lower socioeconomic standing and stop prioritizing manmade constructions over the actual people who use them. if we destroy the community in the process, we aren't improving it. we're basically saying "these inanimate buildings are more important to me than the community of people that live there" and honestly that's really problematic.
First of all, you don't know me so don't assume you know where I come from or anything about me.

I completely agree that gentrification is an important issue but when you suggest that a Target is being built for the elite, you just sound crazy. Your comment may not be specifically about Target but Target was specifically the topic of discussion. So have you polled any of the poor in the area to find out whether or not they would want a Target nearby or if they feel that redeveloping Underground will "destroy their community"?

There is a lot more that the city can do to prevent the negative impact of gentrification but the fact of the matter is that NOT rebuilding Underground and investing in this area (or any other area of the city) is NOT the answer and helps exactly NOONE. There would be less jobs, less revenue for the city, less amenities even for the poor.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:32 AM

i apologize; i have seen so much pro-gentrification rhetoric online recently with a distinct anti-black, anti-poor mentality that i melded together your posts with several other people's posts and made a broad-sweeping statement. however, i don't think the current plans for underground will serve as an improvement for the community, i think it's just going to result in the community being swept away to somewhere else. that doesn't seem like a "win" to me.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:09 PM

Understood. And I agree completely with you that way we treating people as if they are disposable is a big problem but its also not new. The more I learn about local history the more I realize that its a lot uglier than most of us are willing to admit. Your awareness of the plight of those that too often don't have a voice and being willing to speak out on it is admirable.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 4:36 PM

Underground Atlanta starts ‘complete transformation’

I'm liking the sound of this.

http://saportareport.com/underground...ransformation/

Quote:
WRS Inc., the new owner of Underground, held its first community meeting Thursday morning to introduce its development team and share with the public its first steps in redeveloping the languishing property in south downtown.

“What we are working on here is a complete transformation,” said Steve Howe, chief operating officer of WRS. He said the focus will be to remake Underground Atlanta into four city blocks with a variety of uses.
That will include a mix of housing options, along with new retail and office space. A grocery store is likely to be part of the project.

Howe emphasized WRS has no plans to include a Walmart at Underground, a retailer the company has partnered with at some of its other projects.

The plan is to keep historic buildings such as 86 Pryor Street, a brick office building. Other new structures will be built to increase the project’s density. WRS is currently in talks with residential developers.

“My job is to create a really great environment that brings lots of people to the building,” Banks said. “It’s incumbent for me to make it so great that people are living, working and visiting at all times. If you do that, even in 2017, you will have tenants that make a business.”

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 6:58 PM

I wonder why Walmart wouldn't at least want to be in that location. I guess WRS would have to consider letting them in if Walmart really wanted it. I just don't understand the negative view of Walmart.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I wonder why Walmart wouldn't at least want to be in that location. I guess WRS would have to consider letting them in if Walmart really wanted it. I just don't understand the negative view of Walmart.
The only thing worse than a big-box Walmart in that location would be a landfill. Something on the level of Walmart is completely inappropriate there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:52 PM

You think the Avalon crowd is going to go shop there? Let's make it for the other 99%.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 7:56 PM

Let's not. Why do you want to see some Lawrenceville style development in the heart of downtown?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 8:02 PM

Is any of this underground ? why is it called The Underground ?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Is any of this underground ? why is it called The Underground ?
It's not technically underground, but a large portion of the complex lies at the historic ground level beneath streets that have been elevated to cross the railroads more easily.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
It's not technically underground, but a large portion of the complex lies at the historic ground level beneath streets that have been elevated to cross the railroads more easily.
Cool - way cool

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta