HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 5:31 PM

Chattahoochee River multi-use path in planning stages jointly by Cobb and Atlanta

Title: Cobb County Will Apply For ARC Grant To Develop Chattahoochee River Mixed-Use Trail
Author: Larry Felton Johnson
Publication: River Edges
Date: May 11, 2017
URL: http://riveredges.com/2017/05/cobb-c...xed-use-trail/

First few sentences:

"The Cobb County Department of Transportation is taking the lead in a joint project to build a multi-use path along the Chattahoochee River. It would begin at Mableton Parkway, extend northward, cross the river near I-285, and continue northward in the City of Atlanta to a point near Peachtree Creek. It would also connect to another trail on Mableton Parkway which is planned to ultimately connect with the Silver Comet Trail at Floyd Road. The Cobb County board of commissioners voted unanimously to authorize a grant to the Atlanta Regional Commission to fund the initial study and reports necessary to begin planning. Cobb’s partners in the initiative are the City of Atlanta and the Trust for Public Land."

Here's a little background, since I wrote the article. Cobb County's DOT has been aggressively planning multi-use trails. Since most of my readership is in south Cobb there has been a lot of interest in pedestrian and cycling improvements in that part of the county. This is a dream project in a number of ways because it would ultimately connect the proposed park at the mouth of Nickajack Creek, with Smyrna and Peachtree Creek to the north, and Floyd Road and the Silver Comet trail to the west and north.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFeltonJ View Post
Title: Cobb County Will Apply For ARC Grant To Develop Chattahoochee River Mixed-Use Trail
You have a map of this path to better visualize? Does this tie-in with the Proctor Creek Greenway?

http://emeraldcorridor.org/23-sackett-way-bryant/
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...tor-creek.html

Last edited by Street Advocate; May 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
You have a map of this path to better visualize? Does this tie-in with the Proctor Creek Greenway?

http://emeraldcorridor.org/23-sackett-way-bryant/
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...tor-creek.html
It does tie in with the Proctor Creek Greenway, from the City of Atlanta's point-of-view, but since I only talked to the Cobb County DOT manager (we're essentially a Cobb publication) I'm not certain what they plan as the connecting point once the trail crosses the river.

I made a rapid attempt to put a map of the Cobb County portion together but failed (I normally just use google maps, but the portions along the river don't follow the existing road perfectly. When I do a followup I'll hire someone to do a professionally produced map.) The route of the river path can be tracked by drawing a line between Mableton Parkway, along the river, to where I-285 passes over Riverview Road. The Mableton Parkway path, which is being developed with SPLOST money, will start at Discovery Boulevard and run straight to the Silver Comet Trail.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:59 PM

The number of trails in the Atlanta metro is exploding.

Off the top of my head, here are the ones I can remember:

Beltline
Silver Comet
Arabia Mountain
PATH 400
North Fork Peachtree Creek
Proctor Creek Greenway
This Cobb County River trail
Carroll County is developing a trail system
Coweta County is developing a trail system
Columbus is looking into one

If all of these can get built and connected, we will have an amazing network.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnan_Eric View Post
The number of trails in the Atlanta metro is exploding.

If all of these can get built and connected, we will have an amazing network.
Cheshire Farm, Blue Heron, and Peachtree Creek Greenway up by Buford highway/brookhaven are others I am aware of. I'd love to see the abandoned railroad by the northwest corner of GWCC developed back to Bankhead Station and Reservoir Park, too. Would be a pretty unique development that it essentially gets users to the core of the city on unobstructed ROW, assuming they fund construction of a few bridges

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Cheshire Farm, Blue Heron, and Peachtree Creek Greenway up by Buford highway/brookhaven are others I am aware of. I'd love to see the abandoned railroad by the northwest corner of GWCC developed back to Bankhead Station and Reservoir Park, too. Would be a pretty unique development that it essentially gets users to the core of the city on unobstructed ROW, assuming they fund construction of a few bridges
I covered a meeting at the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta offices on Tully Circle about their annexation request into Brookhaven for the property the new hospital and medical office will be on. One of the things they're negotiating with the DOT is a path starting at the roadway into the complex and running between the north and south 85 access roads to connect with a planned trail. I'm not sure which trail it is, since I was mostly there to cover annexation and variance requests, but the ability to cycle under 85 at that location could be signifcant if the path it connects with is decent.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:40 PM

How timely! Dead center of the image shows the connection to CHOA

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...enway-funding/

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:

I updated the article with a map showing the path of the Cobb County portion of the Chattahoochee River Trail. It isn't interactive, but since Hwy 78 intersects the river near the center of the map, it's pretty easy to tell where it is.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
How timely! Dead center of the image shows the connection to CHOA

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...enway-funding/
Oh wow. I freelance some for the Brookhaven Post, so I run into the reporter who wrote this article from time to time when we're sent by our respective editors to the same story, and she was at the meeting a few weeks ago I was referring to. She does a good job covering that area. I don't read things other reporters write about the same event until I've filed my own story, but I always keep up with her stuff about the cities in north Dekalb.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:06 AM

Glad you decided to include a visual! Really helps me out. Do you work with the connect the comet campaign?

http://www.connectthecomet.org

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:49 AM

I was the original coordinator of Connect the Comet when it was mostly River Line Historic Area working on it. The organization is much more developed than it was when I was working on it. When I started shifting toward full-time reporting I dropped off most of the boards I'd been on. These days I usually have a freelancer for Smyrna cover things directly related to the Silver Comet Trail.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 1:44 PM

The Carrollton Beltway opened on April 14th with a 5K and bike ride event. I would say it was a nice event with over 1000 people in attendance. It is over 18 miles and circles Carrollton and has several bike rental stations. VERY NICE! It branches into several existing and new parks with various activities including a frisbee golf course which seemed really interesting. Carrollton did a great job and I hope they work on connecting to the Carroll county park trail system at Little Tallapoosa and Tanner as well as into the metro network with additional links.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFeltonJ View Post
I was the original coordinator of Connect the Comet when it was mostly River Line Historic Area working on it. The organization is much more developed than it was when I was working on it. When I started shifting toward full-time reporting I dropped off most of the boards I'd been on. These days I usually have a freelancer for Smyrna cover things directly related to the Silver Comet Trail.
Oh, wow! Well I am glad you're visiting these boards and commenting. It's great to hear about path/multi-use trail developments around the metro area. I encourage more voices to publicly address developments in a positive manner, like you are.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta