HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
All of these different list/articles are somewhat absurd period. It’s almost as if writers just make something interesting or entertaining to read. The validity of these rankings are simply far fetched at best. Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the country. But we rarely ever have great surveys about customer experience.
LOL, not "one of", but the busiest in the world...much less the country............

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:11 AM
Closed account

Hasn't ATL been consistently named the most efficient airport in the country? They must be doing something right to earn that distinction.

The people who complain about ATL simply have unrealistic expectations. You're not going to get an upscale or personalized experience from a place that has to service 100+ million passengers, it's not possible

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Hasn't ATL been consistently named the most efficient airport in the country? They must be doing something right to earn that distinction.

The people who complain about ATL simply have unrealistic expectations. You're not going to get an upscale or personalized experience from a place that has to service 100+ million passengers, it's not possible

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
With respect to Detroit, it's very easy to offer Ritz-Carlton type of service when the airport isn't all that busy.

DTW, relative to its size, is severely underutilized (and/or overbuilt). It has 136 gates and 6 runways, but only 35 million passengers, whereas Atlanta in comparison has 207 gates, 5 runways and 106 milllion passengers.

EDIT: An average score is still pretty good for an airport as busy as Atlanta's.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post

I personally feel the same about Hartsfield-Jackson being the busiest. I’ve done a lot a traveling, and yes Atlanta has the busiest airport. BUT...it’s not looking at the big picture. We only have one airport. It’s like a county bragging about we have have the largest enrollment for the high school, when the city of Atlantahas 10 high schools compared to just one.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:07 PM
Back on the road again

That's not really true. Even if if you combine operations of multi-airport cities, of which there are many, the only U.S. system that tops Atlanta is greater NYC. In fact if I'm not mistaken, Atlanta is the only top ten U.S. metro with only one airport, but it's still busier than every other U.S. metro except NYC, which has multiple airports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

Last edited by SteveD; Oct 15, 2017 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:18 PM
BANNED

NJ Now Offering $7 Billion to Hook Amazon - This is just f'en OFFENSIVE

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...C%20Disengaged

Quote:
The plan would expand a subsidy program, Grow NJ, and provide extensive economic incentives for companies (like Amazon) that launch "transformative projects." It would raise the cap on subsidies to $10,000 from $5,000 for every job Amazon creates.

The incentives could reach $5 billion over the next decade, according to the Observer. The remaining tax breaks would come from a $1 billion city property-tax subsidy and a wage-tax waiver of $1 billion for Amazon employees over the next 20 years — an offer announced this week.
How is it legal for a city to reduce taxes for employees of one company and keep them the same or raise for their other citizens? I'm sorry, but this Governor, City and State are disgusting for lack of any fiscal discipline. Is this what it means to be a Conservative now?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
NJ Now Offering $7 Billion to Hook Amazon - This is just f'en OFFENSIVE

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...C%20Disengaged

How is it legal for a city to reduce taxes for employees of one company and keep them the same or raise for their other citizens? I'm sorry, but this Governor, City and State are disgusting for lack of any fiscal discipline. Is this what it means to be a Conservative now?
It'll be interesting to see if any other city/state submits a bid with even more incentives.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:01 AM

Selig Pitches Midtown Atlanta Properties For Amazon HQ2

I hadn't thought about all of the property Selig owns in Midtown that could be at least part of the HQ2 site. The RFP states that the sites do not have to be contiguous but nearby.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...400_atlanta-re
Quote:
Selig officials compiled a list of potential Midtown sites owned by Selig Enterprises, MARTA and MetLife that could accommodate Amazon's 8M SF second headquarters campus. The list was given to Midtown Alliance, which submitted information on available properties to Invest Atlanta, the economic development arm for the city, officials said. Atlanta is working with the state government on the offer that is expected to be made this week to Seattle-based Amazon in its pitch for the holy grail of economic development projects that promises up to 50,000 high-paying new jobs.

The nexus of available sites is centered on a cluster between 17th Street and 14th Street along the Downtown Connector and West Peachtree Street. The area has several parcels owned by Selig and others that can accommodate more than 15M SF of new construction under current zoning, Baile said.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I hadn't thought about all of the property Selig owns in Midtown that could be at least part of the HQ2 site. The RFP states that the sites do not have to be contiguous but nearby.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...400_atlanta-re
That's interesting.

I have been of the opinion that it would be better in a less developed part of the city but this does check a lot of boxes for Amazon. Can you imagine Midtown's the skyline and street level activity as a result of this?

On the New Jersey incentives : I have said from the beginning that this was going to be all out war for state incentives and is also why I could see this going somewhere that no one is really talking about.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:23 AM
Closed account

This certainly can't hurt things:

Study: Atlanta notched second-highest boom rate among big-city economies

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/10/1...economies-2016

Quote:
According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis—the official source of macroeconomic tabulation across the country—Atlanta notched the second-fastest growing economy among the top 10 U.S. metro areas last year.

What’s more, the IT sector in the Atlanta region was particularly red-hot (unlike, say, natural resources), the bureau found.

Of the country’s 10 largest metro economies, only San Francisco had a leg up on the ATL in 2016 in terms of growth, according to the study.

Atlanta’s information technology sector led the way by contributing almost a full percentage point to total GDP growth. Other hotspots included the insurance, finance, real estate (of course) sectors, in addition to the region’s growing utilities, transportation, professional and business services fields.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:27 PM

If Amazon does choose Atlanta, what are the chances of them building in Midtown instead of deciding on a more suburban area with more open space?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:54 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
If Amazon does choose Atlanta, what are the chances of them building in Midtown instead of deciding on a more suburban area with more open space?
According to their RFP they want an urban environment. Not sure if they picked Atlanta if they would join the Midtown/Tech Square hub or take the lead in revitalizing South Downtown/Gulch. But I'd bet its either one of those if they choose Atlanta. I don't see them choosing anything suburban. Something like Doraville may be an option because of availability or ready to build land and transportation access. I would put that site as a distant 3rd to Midtown and South Downtown on likelihood of attracting Amazon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
According to their RFP they want an urban environment. Not sure if they picked Atlanta if they would join the Midtown/Tech Square hub or take the lead in revitalizing South Downtown/Gulch. But I'd bet its either one of those if they choose Atlanta. I don't see them choosing anything suburban. Something like Doraville may be an option because of availability or ready to build land and transportation access. I would put that site as a distant 3rd to Midtown and South Downtown on likelihood of attracting Amazon.
I would rank the Turner Field site ahead of Doraville, IMO. That area doesn't have much transit connectivity right now, but it also wouldn't take much to establish some.

Even then, that site would also be a distant third.

Aerotropolis would then be another option behind Doraville / Turner Field.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:58 PM

A "Blue Chip" In the Amazon Game

I do not know if anyone has mentioned this, but one MAJOR thing that Atlanta has going for it that these other candidate cities do not have ( other than L.A. & New York ) is the phenomenal growth in the Georgia Film Industry. This boom has necessitated a massive build-out of film and television facility infrastructure that few can match & Amazon is moving into the Content Market full-speed with its multiple Amazon Studios and Film/Video business.

So, when you have headlines like these coming from Business Journals and Film Industry publications regarding your city & state…

“Georgia is now the No. 1 filming location in the world, according to FilmL.A., and the industry has a giant impact on the state's economy”

“Georgia's film industry generates $9.5 billion economic impact in fiscal 2017”

“Pinewood Atlanta Studios to become largest studio complex in U.S. outside of L.A.”

…its’ hard to see any other City shining like Atlanta. So after Amazon "checks all of the boxes" in the end, I believe that the established Film & Television Industry will be our "Blue Chip" and may well be the one thing that pushes Atlanta to the top – In fact, I do not think any other city makes as much sense as Atlanta when you add all of Atlanta’s benefits. I would actually go as far as to say that if Amazon made any other choice other than Atlanta – they would be “shooting themselves in the foot”!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I do not know if anyone has mentioned this, but one MAJOR thing that Atlanta has going for it that these other candidate cities do not have ( other than L.A. & New York ) is the phenomenal growth in the Georgia Film Industry. This boom has necessitated a massive build-out of film and television facility infrastructure that few can match & Amazon is moving into the Content Market full-speed with its multiple Amazon Studios and Film/Video business.

So, when you have headlines like these coming from Business Journals and Film Industry publications regarding your city & state…

“Georgia is now the No. 1 filming location in the world, according to FilmL.A., and the industry has a giant impact on the state's economy”

“Georgia's film industry generates $9.5 billion economic impact in fiscal 2017”

“Pinewood Atlanta Studios to become largest studio complex in U.S. outside of L.A.”

…its’ hard to see any other City shining like Atlanta. So after Amazon "checks all of the boxes" in the end, I believe that the established Film & Television Industry will be our "Blue Chip" and may well be the one thing that pushes Atlanta to the top – In fact, I do not think any other city makes as much sense as Atlanta when you add all of Atlanta’s benefits. I would actually go as far as to say that if Amazon made any other choice other than Atlanta – they would be “shooting themselves in the foot”!
The growing film industry wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't say it's an advantage over any other city.

You can say Detroit (Amazon's desire to integrate Alexa technology into cars) or Austin (Amazon's desire to expand its grocery business) have their own blue chips, for example.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:09 PM

Seems Atlanta's only real competition is Denver, Dallas, maybe Boston, DC. Bezos doesn't want the high cost of operating in mobbed-up NYC, Chicago, or Philly

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:10 PM

Even after analyzing Moody's as well as other well known financial/investment companies in regards to where the best fit would be, I fail to see what Austin could offer that Atlanta couldn't?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Even after analyzing Moody's as well as other well known financial/investment companies in regards to where the best fit would be, I fail to see what Austin could offer that Atlanta couldn't?
I guess better traffic, but even then I heard Austin's traffic is pretty bad. It does also have a very established Tech scene that makes up a larger portion of it's economy.

I guess with Austin, because it's still a fairly small region, Amazon can sort of become the "big dog" of the city in the same way it did for Seattle whereas with Atlanta, we already have a lot of large, major companies like Delta, CNN, Coca Cola, etc.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I guess better traffic, but even then I heard Austin's traffic is pretty bad. It does also have a very established Tech scene that makes up a larger portion of it's economy.

I guess with Austin, because it's still a fairly small region, Amazon can sort of become the "big dog" of the city in the same way it did for Seattle whereas with Atlanta, we already have a lot of large, major companies like Delta, CNN, Coca Cola, etc.
The main issue with Austin is that it simply doesn't have the big city infrastructure to absorb such a large infusion of growth / investment. A decade from now, it'll have the same problems as Seattle.

Atlanta, despite its flaws, has no shortage of land for developers to build on (which will help to keep COL in check) and it does at least have good bones in place to build a more extensive transit system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta