HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Seems Atlanta's only real competition is Denver, Dallas, maybe Boston, DC. Bezos doesn't want the high cost of operating in mobbed-up NYC, Chicago, or Philly
Since when did Boston stop being associated with the mob? And DC's got the biggest criminal organization of them all...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Since when did Boston stop being associated with the mob? And DC's got the biggest criminal organization of them all...
Yeah, but we are sweet innocent pandas in the zoo.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Whitey Bulger. Boston is entrenched in O.C.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:04 PM

That's your daddy's Boston. It got cleaned up at least on the surface. Whitey is 85 years old and in an undisclosed facility.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:09 PM

Plus they got Harvard and MIT. Boston is perfect for Amazon. But ain't gonna happen.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 2:11 PM

I read that Bezos already owns the most expensive house in DC - and I don't mean the White House. Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
I read that Bezos already owns the most expensive house in DC - and I don't mean the White House. Thank you.
He owns Amazon Post, the former Washington Post, so...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:30 PM

I mean, Atlanta just seems like the clear, best option overall weighing both pros and cons. I just don't see how Austin, the only city more favored could be a better choice. And when I say more favored, I mean by these investment firms chatting, merely making guesses on why Amazon would possibly prefer Austin.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:40 PM

The Business Chronicle has an article stating that the state will include nearly 10 potential sites in its response to Amazon's RFP.

They also have an article on this site on the future Beltline may be included in the state's bid.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...azons-hq2.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 4:53 PM

^selling the westside+beltline like that is actually just the kind of thing that i think might pique their interest.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:29 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere, but proposals for preliminary engineering of The Stitch were due this week. It has a very fast timetable...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:28 AM

As somebody not from Atlanta with next to no ties to the city, I think this contest is Atlanta's to lose.

It comes down to the bid:
First, the incentives. They have to be good enough. Sounds like the state is pretty serious on that front, and the city is in good financial shape right now. So I don't see why this should be a problem.

But secondly, and most importantly, the location. Doraville, McPherson, Perimeter/High Street, Turner Field - all of these are ambitious and important projects and I do hope they all succeed, but there's no magic there.

That leaves The Gulch. This is the only one that would really turn Amazon's head. This is a giant dead zone right at what should be the beating heart of the entire six-plus million person metro area. CIM group (which has ties to the owner of the Hawks) has been talking about doing something there recently, and even acquired the Norfolk Southern building which would make a fantastic "Phase One" for HQ2. With the nearby south downtown redevelopment by Newport and the Underground redevelopment by WRS the potential for synergy and just massively improving this whole part of town is palpable.

Transportation access is second to none with Five Points MARTA, and there's of course the long-proposed MMPT which could finally get some traction with this proposal combined with recent movement in Cobb and Clayton towards actually getting commuter rail rolling.

Anyway, Go Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
As somebody not from Atlanta with next to no ties to the city, I think this contest is Atlanta's to lose.

It comes down to the bid:
First, the incentives. They have to be good enough. Sounds like the state is pretty serious on that front, and the city is in good financial shape right now. So I don't see why this should be a problem.

But secondly, and most importantly, the location. Doraville, McPherson, Perimeter/High Street, Turner Field - all of these are ambitious and important projects and I do hope they all succeed, but there's no magic there.

That leaves The Gulch. This is the only one that would really turn Amazon's head. This is a giant dead zone right at what should be the beating heart of the entire six-plus million person metro area. CIM group (which has ties to the owner of the Hawks) has been talking about doing something there recently, and even acquired the Norfolk Southern building which would make a fantastic "Phase One" for HQ2. With the nearby south downtown redevelopment by Newport and the Underground redevelopment by WRS the potential for synergy and just massively improving this whole part of town is palpable.

Transportation access is second to none with Five Points MARTA, and there's of course the long-proposed MMPT which could finally get some traction with this proposal combined with recent movement in Cobb and Clayton towards actually getting commuter rail rolling.

Anyway, Go Atlanta.
For someone not from Atlanta, it seems you know quite a bit about development in this city, impressive.. There also a few other attractive potential sites for Amazon in Atlanta as well though, just to name a few, Midtown still has sufficient enough space, the Beltline as well, and the potential future Stitch project. I think those would be great options as much as the Gulch is.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:38 AM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
The biggest metric all of these studies fail to capture is population growth. Any city Amazon selects has to demonstrate it has a strong propensity to attract out to of state immigration. The diagram below is data from the 2015 Census Bureau. If you go back the previous 10 years, the data looks similar.

So when I hear people say Amazon is going to Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Boston I can't wrap my head around their logic. Or when someone says Amazon is going to Philly because the Schuylkill Yards development is the best site - Or Amazon is coming to Chicago because the Post Office redevelopment is the best site...etc.

Folks - Amazon is not coming to your city because you have a nice building or site. They are going to select a city that meets their short term infrastructure and business criteria, but most importantly is a city that embraces growth and is a place where people want to move to.

There are only 2 cities that I feel meet this measure - Atlanta and Dallas. However, I think Atlanta has demonstrated it attracts more Millennials and has a better higher education system that can produce more STEM talent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:37 AM

^^^^ I would vote Dallas and especially Houston out....Eastern time zone location, winner= ATL....

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
^^^^ I would vote Dallas and especially Houston out....Eastern time zone location, winner= ATL....
This may seem like a silly thing to consider to some, but I also think a location in the Eastern or Central time zones would be at least somewhat of a important thing to consider with Amazon.

Having a headquarters on the Western and Eastern time zones would just make more sense, and would be easier to coordinate things with international colleagues.

Well, that takes out Austin, so I guess Atlanta is the winner by default!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
This may seem like a silly thing to consider to some, but I also think a location in the Eastern or Central time zones would be at least somewhat of a important thing to consider with Amazon.

Having a headquarters on the Western and Eastern time zones would just make more sense, and would be easier to coordinate things with international colleagues.

Well, that takes out Austin, so I guess Atlanta is the winner by default!
Time Zones to my knowledge is only taken into consideration when choosing a location for a call center or technical support center.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Time Zones to my knowledge is only taken into consideration when choosing a location for a call center or technical support center.
Boeing stated this as a major factor when it moved its HQ to Chicago from Seattle. Just a couple of hours can make doing business with Europe much easier.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:30 PM

I've seen a handful of these purported Amazon criteria surveys. It's true the rankings are somewhat different on each. I did see one that didn't even have ATL in top 10, but generally we do look competitive. However, there may be a couple of unstated/unknown criteria. 1) The personal preference of J. Bezos... in this case I would say Austin and DC. 2) The incentives... but I guess they would make the first cut of candidate cities before considering the likes and incentives. In other words, economics and logistics followed by personal preferences and tax savings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta