HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 9:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your input we really appreciate it.

The first phase will be the 5 storey on the Cambridge side, offering a much quieter location.

The second phase is a proposed 12 storey building off Bronson and the idea is to have some ground floor retail.

Between both buildings there would be a pool.

I agree that some larger 2 bedroom units would be good. I hope it will be possible.

As for investors, surprisingly when we were open, we rarely got interest from investors. They were mostly downsizers and older couples. I think investors will be more attracted to the 12 storey building. But we will have small 1 bedroom units available in the first phase which would be ideal for students, staff members, etc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:11 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Summerhill at Dow's Lake - Redesign Coming
November 18, 2014

Samcon, was originally building a six storey, 39 unit concrete building, named Summerhill at Dow's Lake, but has recently decided to redesign the project due to low demand. The project was to be located at 557 Cambridge Street South, and was expected to be completed in 2016.

Today Samcon has announced that: "With a low demand for the product we were offering. Samcon has decided to redesign the project with something that would attract more people. So far the direction we are leading towards is a 5 storey wood construction with approximately 60 units. We will offer beautiful finishing on the interior and exterior and a very affordable price. The units will mainly be 2 bedrooms in the 635sqft to 850sqft range with a some 1 bedrooms as well. The presentation center will be closed temporarily until we complete the redesign process."

Samcon is an established condominium builder in Montreal. With nearly 25 years of experience, 13 active projects in Montreal, over 75 projects complete and over 4000 condos sold. A 97% customer satisfaction rating has earned them 10 Domus awards including 4 time Builder of the year Award.

Looking for a pre-construction condo in Ottawa? Have some questions? I would love to help!

http://www.mattrichling.com/blog/sum...edesign-coming

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

... and I heard a rumour that we may see a new proposal coming soon for the construction of a student-oriented off-campus residence building on this site.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 1:43 AM

Somewhat surprised at the low demand as I thought this is a pretty good location with proximity to Dow's Lake, Glebe and Carleton U is just a short walk/bus/bike ride away.

Perhaps the hustle and bustle (traffic and noise) of Bronson Ave. has something to do with this? Or maybe the prices?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Or maybe the prices?
I'm thinking it's this.

Dropping a floor and adding 21 units (6 floors/39 units to 5 floors/60 units) says they're going for quantity over quality and the prices will reflect that

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:35 PM

From what I recall; pricing was very high. And to me, this project didn't have enough "differentiation" to demand those prices, hence why it didn't sell.

I think lower priced units are the way to go in today's market... If they can design nice, good units with efficient layouts for the low to mid 200's, I think they could sell this redesigned project pretty fast.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:25 PM

Wood construction is a big mistake.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

I think lower priced units are the way to go in today's market... If they can design nice, good units with efficient layouts for the low to mid 200's, I think they could sell this redesigned project pretty fast.
I'm not sure thats 100% correct. The fastest selling project of the last few months was Domicile's Main Street project which sold about 60% of the building in 2 weeks. The units that sold were predominantly 800+ square feet and over $400,000. Maybe that's a completely different market over there.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:34 PM

Wood construction is considerably cheaper than concrete so that'll help cut costs and pad their bottom line. With laxer rules for wood frame construction (Quebec now allows up to 12 storeys), expect to see more of this sort of thing on both sides of the Ottawa River.

To that I would say, buyer beware: you get what you pay for. A wood sub-floor, even when covered with a concrete layer, means you'll need to have a higher tolerance for foot stompers living above you. Not to mention the fact that these buildings will never have the longevity, sturdiness, or fire resistance of a steel and concrete building. No thanks.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:39 PM
Living With My Mother

I concur. Concrete is the long-term choice.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Due to the slowdown in condo sales in Ottawa, a Montreal developer has sold their property near Bronson and Carling. It may now be redeveloped into student housing.
- as reported this morning on CBC Radio.

@Samcon (if you're still with us), would you like to comment on this?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Due to the slowdown in condo sales in Ottawa, a Montreal developer has sold their property near Bronson and Carling. It may now be redeveloped into student housing.

@Samcon (if you're still with us), would you like to comment on this?
Considering his last post was almost a year ago (and he was posting exclusively in this thread), I say the chance of him responding is slim. On to greener pastures.

I thought for a moment Marnie Bennett Realty Shop was supposed to be the promoter for this project?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 5:27 PM

[QUOTE=rocketphish;7152342]Due to the slowdown in condo sales in Ottawa, a Montreal developer has sold their property near Bronson and Carling. It may now be redeveloped into student housing.
/QUOTE]

With the recent closing down of Emilio's garage at the corner of Carling and Bronson after a nearly 50 year run (sadly, as this was my favorite place to bring in my vehicles for great personalize service), I was told this lot was sold to a "numbered company". No doubt a developer who now has the potential to combine the old garage lot with Samcon's adjacent vacant lot.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 6:38 PM
Living With My Mother

Yeah, I just noticed yesterday that Emilio Lyndia had shut down.

Many fine memories of Mr. Lyndia, Bruno and Norm dating back 25 years and more.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 7:10 PM

Since it was a garage, would it need to go thru environmental assessment first before something can be built?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:34 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here we go again!

Mods, can you please rename this thread? Thx.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

774 Bronson Ave & 557 Cambridge St South | 43.6 m | 12 fl | Proposed

Textbook Suites is proposing a 12-storey mixed-use building at 774 Bronson Avenue & 557 Cambridge Street containing residential units designed for university students and a retail unit at grade. A total of 181 residential units designed for university students are proposed in the development. The building will include a range of residential units, including bachelor, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom units.
The retail space is proposed to measure 154.38 m2 (1,661.75 sq. ft.) and is located on the ground floor at the north side of the building.

The front of the building will be oriented along Bronson Avenue, with the main entrances to both the residential units and the retail use located at grade.

A pedestrian walkway is proposed along the south side of the building to connect the sidewalks on Bronson Avenue and Cambridge Street South, providing access for foot traffic between the streets. The proposal total amenity area is 1,286.89 m² (686.97 m² interior, 599.92 m² exterior).

Vehicular access will be provided from Bronson Avenue, with a driveway proposed along the northern lot line. Ten (10) surface parking spaces are proposed along the north side of the building, along with servicing access. At the west side of the building, the driveway connects to a two-way access ramp to the underground parking garage. The underground parking garage is proposed to contain 21 parking spaces and 78 bicycle parking spaces. Additionally, 17 bicycle parking spaces are proposed at grade adjacent to the pedestrian walkway.

The new building will be clad in precast concrete and glass spandrel panels. New landscaping is proposed around the building (total area of 1,088 m²) including six new street trees (three along both streets).

Development application:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__01QAKV
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__01Q03N

Renderings:

Siteplan:

Typical floor plan:

Last edited by rocketphish; Aug 28, 2021 at 6:47 PM. Reason: Added building height to post title.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 8:50 PM

I really like the design and renders!! Especially for a student residence, this is nice, nicer than some of the pricey condos going up lately...

My two concerns are;

1) How many student residences can Ottawa really absorb? We must have at least 5 or 6 new (or newly converted) towers that have or will open up soon for students. How long until the market is saturated with those?

2) The location is now that good for a student residence. I mean from here to OttawaU would probably be an awful commute, I'm guessing it's mostly geared towards Carleton students who would presumably walk to the OTrain station? Location is about 1km from Carling station or about 2.Xkm walk from the University itself, but walking down windswept Carling or Bronson on a cold windy -35 winter day... no thank you

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I really like the design and renders!! Especially for a student residence, this is nice, nicer than some of the pricey condos going up lately...

My two concerns are;

1) How many student residences can Ottawa really absorb? We must have at least 5 or 6 new (or newly converted) towers that have or will open up soon for students. How long until the market is saturated with those?
That's a problem for the proponents.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:

2) The location is now that good for a student residence. I mean from here to OttawaU would probably be an awful commute, I'm guessing it's mostly geared towards Carleton students who would presumably walk to the OTrain station? Location is about 1km from Carling station or about 2.Xkm walk from the University itself, but walking down windswept Carling or Bronson on a cold windy -35 winter day... no thank you
1) I feel that there is a huge demand on campuses for more student housing near the schools. Lots of students like living closer to downtown and transit, and with a short walk to Bank street, this seems like a good location. Envie has been promoting all week at Carleton.

2) It's a straight shot down Bronson to Carleton on the #4 bus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa