HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:17 PM

ArtHaus Residences at Arts Court | 73.8m| 22fl | Completed

Some time ago I wrote about the possibility of the City and uOttawa combining resources to build one major library downtown.That looks like it is not in the works any time soon, as last month Ontario gave uOttawa another 30 million bucks to add to its present main library.

However, the Arts Court redevelopement is another example of how the CIty and uOttawa can combine resources to build things of interest to both downtown. Mind you this is on a much samller scale. I have bolded the part that mentions the city-university partnership.

Interesting that there would also be a residential component to help pay the bills---as per what is proposed at Lansdowne.

Quote:
OTTAWA — With plans to move the Ottawa Art Gallery to Lansdowne Park seeming to have definitively fallen through, city council’s finance committee is to decide Thursday whether to press on with building new space for it at Arts Court near the Rideau Centre, in a project that would include a private residential tower.

It’s part of a major, $36.1-million expansion of the repurposed old courthouse, of which the city’s share would be about $12 million. The city would also ask the Department of Canadian Heritage for $9 million, include a small “black box” theatre and other facilities for the nearby University of Ottawa in exchange for $6 million, and ask Arts Court users to raise about $3.2 million themselves. Another $2.3 million would come from savings on maintenance at the existing building.
The city would also hope to make $3.5 million for the rest of the project by including the tower, estimated to be 18 storeys tall. The plans are still sketchy, but it would likely be built at the corner of Waller Street and Daly Avenue, across from the Les Suites hotel.

The result would be a dramatic expansion of room for arts in the complex. The Ottawa Art Gallery would go from net space of about 10,000 square feet to 31,000 square feet. The space used by four artists’ groups — the SAW Gallery and video collective, Art Engine and the Independent Filmmakers Cooperative of Ottawa — would go from about 8,000 square feet to more than 19,000. And besides the U of O theatre, the building would have a 350-seat presentation space and a screening room with between 120 and 150 seats.
A city report says that in all, the renovation and expansion would cost about $460 a square foot, compared with $420 a square foot for the new archives building in Nepean and $422 for the expansion of Centrepointe Theatre.

The finance committee will be voting to move ahead with the project as long as a final plan that meets everyone’s needs can be agreed on, and subject to all the funding coming through. Immediately, though, the city would spend $1.5 million to hire architects and designers to turn rough concept plans into specifics. Sharing the high-end work would be the local firm of Barry Padolsky (which has overseen the renovation of the Museum of Nature), and Toronto-based Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects, which has a strong track record on major arts-oriented project such as the Bell Lightbox in Toronto, and whose partner Marianne McKenna is on the design-review panel for Lansdowne

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Jul 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:46 PM

While i am not a big arts person i think this project is a good idea it would benifit uottawa and the city.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 11:28 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:57 PM

The proposal was carried unanimously at today's Finance and Economic Development Committee. It will rise to Council on Wednesday.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 2:36 AM

This link has a sketch of the expansion by one of the architects.

http://artengine.ca/blog/?p=2420

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 11:37 AM

coulda, woulda, shoulda

you won't hear me say this very often, but this tower is too short; it's a special site surrounded by tall buildings that obscure the views in the three best directions, if we want to sell some flash apartments to subsidize the art spaces and recoup redevelopment costs, we should be going for a much more ambitious point tower, units on floors 22-27 could have been worth a lot!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
you won't hear me say this very often, but this tower is too short; it's a special site surrounded by tall buildings that obscure the views in the three best directions, if we want to sell some flash apartments to subsidize the art spaces and recoup redevelopment costs, we should be going for a much more ambitious point tower, units on floors 22-27 could have been worth a lot!
I was thinking the same thing about the height. 18 storeys doesn't seem small until you look at the sketch. It's gonna be dwarfed by other buildings. With some more height they could attract more attention to the site which is really important for the city. Yesterday at the committee meeting one of the people from the Arts Court, I think her name was Maria DeFalco, said even with the expansion space will be tight for tenants. It would make sense to add some more floors and put some office/work space on the lower levels and residences above that. I don't think I've ever seen an office and residence development in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:54 PM

I didn't think of it before, but I agree about the tower being too short for that location.
There are many reasons why it could, and should be higher - the main being the height of surrounding buildings, the lack of significant residential encroachment in the area, the fact that the closest towers are non-residential, etc, etc.
Maybe a Attika-type development could pop up here.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 2:32 PM
R2-D2's army of death

It should be higher given the surrounding buildings. It should also be larger so as to make for a proper Ottawa Art Gallery to display our vast collection that simply does not have enough space to showcase the collection.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:49 AM

I wonder if the whole complex will be known as Arts Court. If so, with this expansion I question whether the name "Arts Court" will continue to communicate how significant this facility will be to the city. That name sounds somewhat abstract and incomplete. This won't be just another arts centre, it'll be the premier local arts facility in the city. If I'm a visitor to the city and I'm looking through a tourist guide and I see "Arts Court" it doesn't sound like a must-see destination, or the city's main local arts facility. It sounds like some kind of small community theatre. Something like the Ottawa Arts Centre tells people how important the facility is to the city. Also, I don't know if "Arts Court" will appeal to a national or international audience; it's so local that unless you're from Ottawa you won't know what it is. If I was a visitor to Ottawa I'd rather visit the National Gallery of Canada or the Museum of Civilization than the "Arts Court" just because of the name. Just some thoughts on communications/marketing after the expansion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 11:51 AM
Busy Beaver

It's called Arts Court because it is housed in the former Carleton County Court House. Would you like to change the name of the Ottawa Jail Hostel, too?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 7:19 PM

Wow! A vacant lot that will be redeveloped only seventeen years after the old Cop Shop was torn down! That must be a new record for Ottawa!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
It's called Arts Court because it is housed in the former Carleton County Court House. Would you like to change the name of the Ottawa Jail Hostel, too?
I realized that. It just doesn't sound very marketable or very serious as an arts facility?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 3:22 PM

From DCN's Friday top 10 for Ontario:

Quote:
ART GALLERY REDEVELOPMENT Proj: 9146151-1
Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
Ottawa Arts Court, site to be determined
$30,000,000 est
Start: July, 2013 Complete: October, 2014
Note: Project is very preliminary. The owner is seeking site. Scope of work will be finalized based on project site. Feasibility and pre-design study is underway at the consultants. Design, tender for general contractor and construction timelines are undetermined at this time. Further update spring, 2012.
Project: proposed redevelopment of the existing facility to house an art gallery.
Scope: 80,000 square feet
Development: Alterations
Category: Public bldgs
source

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:49 AM

As far as the residential tower goes, uOttawa should take a hard look at this.Their five year capital plan mentions that they will explore the need for new student resdences. Why not here , on the edge of the campus? uOttawa is already involved in this project in the form of a uOttawa theatre that will be part of Arts Court.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 4:20 PM

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ar...666/story.html

Well, that was fast! A year in and it's already shelved.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 11:55 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Latest Arts Court Redevelopment plans

The latest Arts Court Redevelopment plans have been posted:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9OUFB0

The development concept includes a podium housing the Ottawa Art Gallery on 6 levels; a University of Ottawa facility on 3 levels, and private sector uses on 6 levels under the full 17 storey tower footprint. The total height of the proposed development is approximately 75.2 metres.

The development concept includes new museum-quality space for the OAG, an OAG multi-purpose space designed to serve as a 120-seat screening room, and a black box theatre and studio classrooms for the U of O. The development concept also includes a twenty-three (23) storey private sector tower that would be occupied by residential, hotel or office uses. The development concept includes a multi-level underground private sector parking garage. The tower and parking garage will be owned and operated separately from the cultural uses listed above.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 12:25 PM

rocketphish wrote

Quote:
The development concept also includes a twenty-three (23) storey private sector tower that would be occupied by residential, hotel or office uses.
The university should take a hard look at the possibility of this tower being a student residence. UO has stated in their documents that they need more residence space for the coming years. Land for them to build on at the downtown campus is scarce. They should not miss an opportunity if it is there.
If UO can not come up with all the money right now to grab this opportunity, perhaps they could swing some kind of public(university)/private partnership deal.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
rocketphish wrote

The university should take a hard look at the possibility of this tower being a student residence. UO has stated in their documents that they need more residence space for the coming years. Land for them to build on at the downtown campus is scarce. They should not miss an opportunity if it is there.
If UO can not come up with all the money right now to grab this opportunity, perhaps they could swing some kind of public(university)/private partnership deal.
Especially if they hired the same architect as the Desmarais Building and kept the same style, it would provide a type of symmetry. It could be really nice.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 2:25 PM

that was Jason Moriyama, son of Raymond, partner in Moriyama & Teshima, who have a pretty impressive track record in Canada and beyond.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa