HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 1:33 AM

Sport Chek is expanding at Intercity Mall. I don't know the details of which way or how yet, but there is a tender out for the work. I didn't think they had any room to move outwards into the mall since the food court is there. I will Chek into it and see exactly what they are doing there.

A new hair dresser is also moving into the new building across from Superstore as well. A tender has also been issued for the interior fit-up for that business. I believe it is a chain. Again, I will get details later.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 12:57 AM

The Sport Chek expansion is a new addition to Intercity Mall. The approximately 8000 sq. ft. addition will take up several parking spots in the existing lot. The addition will stretch out towards Memorial Ave., and leave only enough room for two driving lanes and maybe some parking stalls right along the Memorial sidewalk.

The chain moving into the Harbour Carrick Centre out front of the new Marriott is First Choice Haircutters. I would estimate they have around 100 Canadian and American locations, so they are a decent sized chain. Another space has also been leased. I believe it will be for Subway. There is still one unit available for lease. This winter's cold weather has drastically slowed work on getting the strip mall completed.

Another big Canadian company is making a move into an available space in Thunder Bay. The former Medi-Plus at Brentwood Park Place will be undergoing some pretty significant interior reno's first though. This will supposedly be for Shaw... I think for some kind of new retail/sales space.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:35 PM

In response to the lack of hospital beds available in TBay was there not a provincial report a few years back recommending the construction of a purpose-built children's hospital in Thunder Bay and/or Sudbury? I know that such a venture would cost multi-millions of dollars and take time (but not much more than building new long term care beds it seems) but would pretty much free up at least a ward's worth of beds.
I would think it would be pretty safe politically because, let's face it, who would argue against better care for sick children.

It would be a great addition to the changing and improving medical landscape in the city as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
In response to the lack of hospital beds available in TBay was there not a provincial report a few years back recommending the construction of a purpose-built children's hospital in Thunder Bay and/or Sudbury? I know that such a venture would cost multi-millions of dollars and take time (but not much more than building new long term care beds it seems) but would pretty much free up at least a ward's worth of beds.
I would think it would be pretty safe politically because, let's face it, who would argue against better care for sick children.

It would be a great addition to the changing and improving medical landscape in the city as well.
Never heard about that. I'll see if I can find a link to the recommendation you mentioned.

I just couldn't see a children's hospital in Northern Ontario with its small population.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:50 PM

I agree, we won't see a children's hospital here in our lifetimes. We would require a significantly higher population to make such a venture feasible. We probably could use a behavioral program and/or wing in the hospital or at St. Joe's for children though. When you think of the number of kids with FASD, having difficulty adjusting to life in the city from northern reserves and the number of kids with ADD-type disorders, this may make sense. What we definitely need is more acute care beds and more long term care beds for people in the lower income bracket, and those that lack social, financial and family support.

While on the topic, local media is reporting the health minister is supposed to take some kind of action on the grid lock in Thunder Bay, stating herself that the situation is not acceptable. There wasn't really any more detail given, or how they plan to create an 'acceptable' environment at the TBRHSC. We are supposed to know within the next few months what this action will be though.

Subway is definitely going in the Harbour-Carrick Centre. Preliminary work has already begun on the new location.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 7:56 PM

I have been informed that the field across from the T-Bay Centre of Change has been sold. I don't know if it was bought up on speculation, or if there are already plans in place for the land. The Centre of Change is also for sale, but I don't believe it has sold yet. It was going for $900 000. I think most of the building's tenants have remained there thus far.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:17 PM

Cool

A gym by the name of Crossfit 807 is going to be renovating their space at 340 N. Waterloo (Mahon Electric Building). I am not sure when they moved into the space, but I think they are newer to the building.

Reid's has transformed the warehouse at the end of Field St. (directly across from the back of the Dollarama at the Riocan Centre into their regional distribution centre. One of the van lines had this building before. A little bit of work has been done to the exterior of the building. It would be nice if they cleaned the yard and building up just a little bit more, but I will give them time.

Apparently Thunder Bay Fasteners is moving, but not very far. They have supposedly purchased the Norcan Tours building directly across the street from their current (and much smaller) location. I don't know what the status of Norcan is.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 1:40 PM

general

Few things ive been wondering about .
What is happening or not happening with the Condos on Golf Links ? Have they still not found an investor to take over ?
Did city council approve a new 6 storey condo on Cumberland ? If so will that project launch this year ?
Whatever happen to the night club moving in on Red River ?
Is the city starting this spring with the expansion on Golf Links Rd from John to Oliver ?
Finally any other projects coming down the pipeline for 2014 ?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 8:04 PM
ARTchitecture

Very excited to hear more about the Civic Centre development, glad to hear there is still movement on this project.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 1:01 AM
I am a typical

I overheard at work the other day that in addition to the Harbour-Carrick location, A&W will be opening a second location in the city. I didn't find out where, though. The location on Memorial might be closing once one of the other two locations opens up.

Taco Time on Cumberland has closed, the owners are planning on relocating to Red River Road. Perhaps A&W will be joining them? Not sure if "Red River Road" includes "Dawson Road" but with County Fair coming back to life, it might make sense for some fast food options to open up in the area.

Council discussed two large residential developments on Monday night; an expansion of Mapleward Estates which will more than triple the size of the development, and the condo on Cumberland Street. As far as I know, neither one was disapproved. Council has to confirm all of its votes two or three weeks after they vote on them the first time, so in a couple weeks we'll know for sure if both projects are going forward. I would assume they are.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Few things ive been wondering about .
What is happening or not happening with the Condos on Golf Links ? Have they still not found an investor to take over ?
This project is still at a standstill, or very close to. No one really has any idea what is going on other than those really close to the project. Bills still haven't been paid from last year, so it isn't looking good. They financers have got to get Zanette out of there before there is a chance for this project. He has some issues right now that stretch beyond T-Bay. I have stated it before and I still believe the project will not go until bankruptcy is declared, and a new project manager steps in. The location is great with the things happening next door at the hospital, but the job has been poorly managed from the get-go. Definitely makes the city look good as far as the waterfront condos go. TBCC will be in huge trouble if this project completely fails, they have already lost members over this development. TBCC has no choice now but to make this happen, or they will probably go under. I remain optimistic this will be sorted out by the end of summer.

Quote:
Did city council approve a new 6 storey condo on Cumberland ? If so will that project launch this year ?
Council and city admin. will go through the motions and due diligence, but this one is a foregone conclusion (sparing any ridiculous OMB hearing requests by some neighbour). This is a pro-development council, they won't say no to much, and this is definitely a project that is very desirable for them to help the north core.

Quote:
It'll happen. Give it time.

Quote:
Is the city starting this spring with the expansion on Golf Links Rd from John to Oliver ?
Yes its a go, even without funding from higher level government. Unfortunately without the funding, it will be a bit of a drain on the city in terms of cash they had put aside for other projects, but its the way things go sometimes. I think the city would be happy to lose the funding here, but gain on the event centre.

Quote:
Finally any other projects coming down the pipeline for 2014 ?
Architects and engineers say they are busy, and there is stuff to come. No specifics other than that. Scotiabank by The Keg will be undergoing reno's this summer. Sportchek Expansion at Intercity. Rumours have at least a couple more hoteliers looking at the city. Not sure when the LCBO is gearing up for their new store at Arthur St. Place. Habib is trying to make his FWCI project go. He and/or Peterson (whoever ended up with that building) are also trying to get the Plymouth Landing thing going too on Montreal St. We should see a good mix of public and private projects this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I overheard at work the other day that in addition to the Harbour-Carrick location, A&W will be opening a second location in the city. I didn't find out where, though. The location on Memorial might be closing once one of the other two locations opens up.
Subway is definitely opening two locations at the moment, one at Harbour-Carrick and one on Waterloo. Haven't heard that A&W has a second location. I think the closure of the A&W on Memorial is mere speculation right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it does close though... odd location to enter, and it never seems that busy.

Quote:
Council discussed two large residential developments on Monday night; an expansion of Mapleward Estates which will more than triple the size of the development, and the condo on Cumberland Street. As far as I know, neither one was disapproved. Council has to confirm all of its votes two or three weeks after they vote on them the first time, so in a couple weeks we'll know for sure if both projects are going forward. I would assume they are.
Council seemed a bit cool towards the expansion of Mapleward Estates. There was definitely division amongst council members, and I believe city admin. is not recommending it (the expansion) be approved. I think the new Mount Forest lots are in play here... but I won't say any more than that. I think the city was surprised how fast Mapleward Part I took off, as was the developer.

===========

I have heard a rumour that Jansens Pharmacy is looking at another new Thunder Bay location. North end of town this time. Potentially Red River Rd. My first thought was in the former Lowery's, along with the Northern C.U. that is currently being worked on.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:20 PM

St. Joseph's stated in the media today that their new mental health wing, which is to be attached to the existing main hospital site on Algoma, should be going to tender soon. This will likely be a multi-million dollar job.

Another tender that should be coming out soon as well too is that of the cyclotron at the TBRHSC, attached to the new Pro Building currently under construction along Oliver. Also a multi-million dollar job when one considers the equipment involved.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 11:28 PM
I am a typical

I had thought that construction started on the new wing of St. Joseph's some time ago.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I had thought that construction started on the new wing of St. Joseph's some time ago.
Not at the main hospital site where the Sister Margaret Smith Centre used to be. CEISS phase II is in full swing, but that is over by Hogarth and Grandview Lodge.

Sister Margaret Smith was torn down a couple years or so ago, and the land has been sitting in waiting since. Perhaps the utility companies put in some new services, but nothing more than that that I am aware of. There was never any tender issued, which is a requirement when public buildings go up.

======

I am still hearing rumblings of a new McDonalds location at the corner of Oliver and Golf Links somewhere. Perhaps the franchisee is waiting for the upgrades to the Golf Links corridor to be complete, and for a little more action in that area to occur.

I am also hearing that a few other small, local businesses are looking at putting some money into their digs this summer, but I will wait to say too much until those projects get closer.

There was also a post on Opportunity T-Bay that one of the members there spoke with several representatives of the Radisson hotel chain, who were supposedly in town scoping out locations for a new hotel. It was purely to check things out right now, not a guarantee that a hotel will be coming soon.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
While on the topic, local media is reporting the health minister is supposed to take some kind of action on the grid lock in Thunder Bay, stating herself that the situation is not acceptable. There wasn't really any more detail given, or how they plan to create an 'acceptable' environment at the TBRHSC. We are supposed to know within the next few months what this action will be though.
from http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/3279...dlock-solution

* adding 10 full-time emergency room doctors
* adding 14 temporary emergency room doctors
* staffing 10 acute-care beds to treat up to 600 more patients a year
* creating 26 new hospital beds at the Lakehead Psychiatric Hospital to treat people with long-term illnesses
* expanding a nursing outreach program to provide home care to 500 additional seniors and people with complex care needs
* provide 17 additional spaces in supportive housing

Quote:
Another big Canadian company is making a move into an available space in Thunder Bay. The former Medi-Plus at Brentwood Park Place will be undergoing some pretty significant interior reno's first though. This will supposedly be for Shaw... I think for some kind of new retail/sales space.
I believe they already have some space in that building for equipment.

Quote:
I have been informed that the field across from the T-Bay Centre of Change has been sold. I don't know if it was bought up on speculation, or if there are already plans in place for the land. The Centre of Change is also for sale, but I don't believe it has sold yet. It was going for $900 000. I think most of the building's tenants have remained there thus far.
I expect condos being built there, but can't remember where I heard that.

Quote:
I have heard that this one has stalled out again due to water/mold issues. There's at least one other restaurant/bar project in the works for that block, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up again eventually.

St. Paul St is picking up as well. On one side of the new record shop, a hair salon has opened. On the other, a coffeeshop/roastery is in the works.

World Dance Centre has moved from the Centre of Change to the former Colosimos building. The remainder of the space is to become a yoga studio.

The federal program the City is looking at for the Multiplex caps out at $100 million, so they are looking at ways to bring costs down. The Concerned Taxpayers had their second public meeting last night. There was a lot of shouting.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:13 AM
I am a typical

Why don't they just build it two storeys tall and out of wood?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
I expect condos being built there, but can't remember where I heard that.
I can't see this happening in the near future though. The condo market has got to be satisfied locally now with three larger projects on-going (Waterfront, Terra-Vista and The Club). The Club, by the way, in is receivership from what I hear, but there appears to be a lot of confidence in the community that the job will get done at some point. I am assuming the 6 storey proposed on top of the former Cumberland Cinema will also be condos. The T-Bay market can't support condos on a per capita basis like T.O. or Vancouver. The local population won't pay the fees on top of the cost of a new unit. We have seen some demographic change in T-Bay that better supports condos, but not enough yet to get us to the next level. This, and single detached homes are still quite affordable, despite recent upswings in property values.

Quote:
World Dance Centre has moved from the Centre of Change to the former Colosimos building. The remainder of the space is to become a yoga studio.
There was to be a third unit on the main floor... is that no longer the plan? Work is still underway on the second floor, I suppose for residential rental units. Lakehead Public School's maintenance and wood-working shop also moved out of the Centre of Change (due to the nature of the work they do and probably issues with zoning) to a vacant location on Shipyard Rd.

Quote:
The federal program the City is looking at for the Multiplex caps out at $100 million, so they are looking at ways to bring costs down. The Concerned Taxpayers had their second public meeting last night. There was a lot of shouting.
The city won't be happy if they cheap out on this. By city, I mean residents and the municipal gov't. Perhaps a way around it would be two phase construction, or to break the project in two and apply twice. I can't see two funding grants being approved for a project on the same piece of land, but I suppose there is always an outside chance. Better than nothing. Vid has a point with wood construction too, it could potentially save millions over steel and concrete. I just worry contractors inexperienced in a project of this scale using mainly wood would bid the project higher because of uncertainty and the cost of taking the learning curve. The Concerned Taxpayers seem to have maxed out at 100 members now. The city clerk has stated getting a plebiscite on the next ballot will be difficult given the amount of time remaining before the next municipal election. We will know Monday evening if one will happen, regardless of whether a decision is made or if council defers the matter. I think council will be easy to read on this one.

========

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but media reports have been suggesting a major infrastructure announcement related to the Ring of Fire will be made Apr. 17, in advance of the upcoming provincial budget. An engineering firm with a local office has been working on preliminary design work for a while now. While Cliffs has stopped work, Nor-Ont Resources and KWG remain committed, as well as other mining firms who are not as close to development as the above two firms.

While on mining, major work has commenced on the New Gold property in Rainy River. Development of this mine has meant realignment of Hwy 71 away from the mine site. This deposit will be developed, and a mine will be operating in the near future on the site. Several hundred jobs will result for the Rainy River/Front Frances area.

Another mining company is also moving into a recently vacated building on Russell St. Renovations are happening first though, inside and out.

MGM Electric was acquired by Sonepar Canada, out of southern Ontario. Sounds like they may keep the MGM brand. Sonepar also owns Gescan, who has a local location. Not sure if they will try to combine operations for efficiency yet or not.

Nadin's expansion of the wildly popular Maplewood subdivision has been approved. I think there will be fourty-some new lots. City admin. recommended it not be approved, but council still voted to allow it to move forwards.

Last edited by TbayON; Apr 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:39 AM

Eco-Superior is looking at putting up a new building in Thunder Bay. It will be known as their 'resource centre'. Form Architecture has already done some design work. To see a rendering, have a look at their flyer sent out in the last couple days.

Phase II of the Golf Links/Junot corridor re-build has gone to tender. The work will begin at Oliver, and head north. Valley St. is also going to be rebuilt this year to four lanes. The Harbour Expressway will also be seeing some pavement replacement.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 10:05 PM

KBM Forestry will be going ahead with construction of a hangar for its aircraft thanks to funding announced today from the NOHF Corporation. Funding was also announced for 3 other local businesses (nothing construction related, but job creators nonetheless). If interested in details, follow the link...
http://news.ontario.ca/mndmf/en/2014...der-bay-1.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:09 PM

I was in TBay over the weekend and noted a few things:

1: with very few exceptions the roads in TBay are in great shape. Sure there are some potholes but they are nothing like the roads in Winnipeg. There are main thoroughfares here that are so bad it's like driving on washboard dirt roads.
2: Intercity Mall is in need of an update of some kind: new lights, natural light, a second level... It only had one vacancy that I saw but as a whole it felt quite dark and enclosed.
3: I am glad that expanding Valley is on the city's agenda this year. That street is dangerous. I am surprised there aren't more accidents along there.
4: They expansion of Golf Links was wonderful to drive. I can hardly wait for the rest to be done.
5: The construction of hotels in the Intercity area is awesome. The changing views are wonderful. Same with the new skyline of downtown FW with the courthouse. Now add in some multistory residential in the empty lots along May and some mixed use residential into the empty lots around Intercity and things will really start rolling.
6: The marina was busy each day I was there, a definite change from the quiet park it was when I was growing up. When is the Delta hotel supposed to start construction? And when is the city going to start work on the parking lot by the TaiChi gardens?

Lots is happening, for sure! I'm looking forward to moving back!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario