HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The problem with interlining the 93 & 96 is that due to the terrible pedestrian facilities at the Eagleson overpass, the 93 only services Eagleson station eastbound.

Some sort of pedestrian bridge is required across the highway to allow for a connection to Eagleson from north of the highway. Hopefully one will get built as part of the future transitway corridor that will run north of the 417. This would allow the 93 to serve Eagleson in both directions.
I remember the councilor for Kanata telling me pedestrian improvements were on the way for Eagleson.

That was in 2007.

The end.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:44 PM
National Capital Region

New Minto plaza at Campeau/Palladium/Huntmar near Tanger http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-12-14-0014

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
New Minto plaza at Campeau/Palladium/Huntmar near Tanger http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-12-14-0014
Elevated Transitway, hmm?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:34 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Elevated Transitway, hmm?
Oh ya, because nothing says good transport planning better than an elevated transitway needing deep pilings through leda clay.

This is all being done supposedly for eventual conversion to light rail - you know, light rail, not light metro - the rapid transit technology we picked because it would allow for less expensive extensions in suburban areas due to its lack of need for super pricey grade separations.

Ya, I don't get it either.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 10:47 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:18 AM
National Capital Region

As an act of civil mindedness, I read the report and have elected to share my findings for all.

Here's all you really need to know, from p.4:

"Given that this proposal is for two, one-storey buildings, it is one that fits well into the vernacular of the already-existing lower profile built form. At the same time, the AM zoning associated with the Arterial Mainstreet designation will allow for further intensification of land uses at these two locations over time, in keeping with the Official Plan’s Mainstreets policies."

So, two more single-storey retail pads... because it fits in with all the other retail pads at Fairlawn Plaza. Oh, and hopefully it'll be re-intensified at some point in the future when the plan reviewer is in retirement.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:39 AM
National Capital Region

The report talks about two single storey buildings, but the planning docs talk about a two storey building... first version a restaurant with a rooftop patio, second version a restaurant with office space on top.

here's the rationale for the change from the report

This theme was echoed in the public meetings, although it is worth noting that the first
public meeting was held on a slightly different proposal where it was only 2148 Carling
Avenue that was to be developed, as opposed to the current iteration. The proponent
has stated that the proposal was changed to the current two building iteration as a result
of the comments received at that public meeting. The proponent’s logic is that the two
building version spreads the density across both lots and allows parking to be directly
provided on each lot.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Minto proposes another large retail complex for Kanata

OBJ Staff, Published on March 25, 2014

Minto Properties is asking the city for permission to add another large-format retail centre to the area around the Canadian Tire Centre.

The development plan calls for nine multi-tenant buildings, ranging in floor area from approximately 4,000 to 50,000 square feet. In total they would have a combined floor area of 114,000 square feet.

The property, which has the street address of 370 Huntmar Dr., was farmland at one point but is currently unused.

If built, the Minto project would join two other large-scale retail projects that are in the works for the area.

Montreal-based construction company Broccolini is currently developing a 120,000-square foot facility with U.S. outdoor retailer Bass Pro Shops on the other side of the highway, while American outlet retailer Tanger is going to be opening up about 350,000 square feet on adjacent space.

The buildings planned as part of Minto’s development would be “flexible to accommodate a variety of retail tenants,” according to the developer’s planning rationale filed with the city.

The development would have a central parking lot with 525 spaces.

However, before the development can go ahead, it requires a zoning change from city council.

The site is currently zoned as a development reserve, a designation the city uses for land that earmarked for future development and limits the range of uses on that land to keep future options open. Minto is asking the city to change the zoning to mixed-use centre.

http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/2014-0...x-for-Kanata/1

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:28 AM
Awesome!

Geez, isn't enough for that area. City of Ottawa should then consider speeding up rapid transit to Kanata, otherwise slow down the explosion of retail planned or it will be traffic nightmare even with the additionnal road capacity.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:46 AM

Here's what I think should be done transit-wise--separate the Stittsville portions of route 96 (everything beyond Terry Fox) into a new bidirectional loop route, called it the 165 or whatever. Then extend all 96 trips westwards down the Campeau extension and down Huntmar to CTC.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:58 PM

^ Nice! Thanks for the update. I don't go there or drive by there much often (except when I go to a SENS game) so it's nice to have an update, especially with pictures

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:46 PM

I just passed by Industrial ave this morning and there were crews on site looking like they are building a new addition at the Ottawa Trainyards (in front of Marshalls and Sail). Anyone heard anything about it? What new retail/store is coming?

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 2:02 PM

Thank you for that! What I like about this development is that the shops are in the middle and parking is around. Therefore you park your car and then walk around from shop to shop. More of "pedestrian-friendly" outlet village feel
Whereas at Trainyards, the shops are around and the parking is in the middle, meaning you can't easily walk from 1 store to the next without walking forever and crossing the swazi-land of parking... Therefore you just end up driving store to store..

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Whereas at Trainyards, the shops are around and the parking is in the middle, meaning you can't easily walk from 1 store to the next without walking forever and crossing the swazi-land of parking... Therefore you just end up driving store to store..
I agree with you. Trainyards has a terrible design.
Specially inconvenient if you don't have a car.
Try the bus to go to Walmart and Farm Boy.
You'll walk a lot to go to Walmart, then walk even more to reach Farm Boy,
then walk even more to take the bus.

Think you can use the OC Transpo "Train" Transitway station to go there?
Think again. There's no way to walk from "Train" to Trainyards.

Who design these things? Urban planning?

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
I've always wondered about that since the mall opened. I thought there must be a tunnel or overpass built or in the works from the Transitway, especially with the new commercial developments going in. Does anyone know if they plan to connect to the Train station?

As a driver and a cyclist, I love the Trainyards. The store selection is amazing and it's very close to my house.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:

The sad thing about train yards is that is is also inconvenient with a car. Unless you need just one store, it's really unclear what you are supposed to do. Keep moving the car? Could try to park in the middle, but it's not friendly for walking around either so even that doesn't work real well.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Thank you for that! What I like about this development is that the shops are in the middle and parking is around. Therefore you park your car and then walk around from shop to shop. More of "pedestrian-friendly" outlet village feel
If you have to drive there in the first place, it's not "pedestrian friendly", but a very pale imitation thereof.

I don't know why Ottawa keeps approving crap like this when it violates all the pretty-sounding, meaningless, utterly unenforcable happytalk in the official plans going back almost 30 years.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:

The pre-amalgamation City of Ottawa & the RMOC.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the trainyards because of the selection (everything from Wal-Mart to LCBO to Tommy Hilfiger etc..) but I just don't like the layout of the place. When I drive to stop at one store it's fine but when I have to do 2 or 3 stores, I have to go back to my car and drive between stores.

One can only hope that in the far future (maybe lik 2030) that Ottawa will have a lot of densification and they could fill out the entire parking lots of Trainyards with more retail, restaurants, a public park/plaza, midrise apartments/condos, maybe a couple of underground parkings or parkades and a good transit connection, then it could really become a great area.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Metro proposes Riverside South supermarket

OBJ Staff
Published on May 29, 2014

Grocery chain Metro Ontario inc. is asking the city for permission to build a retail centre in Riverside South.

The proposed development, at the corner of Earl Armstrong Road and Limebank Road, would be anchored by a 36,500-square-foot grocery store. It would also have an additional 48,000 square feet of leasable retail space in six single-storey buildings.

Along with the grocery store, there would be one additional large-format unit and 20 smaller units.

The plan also calls for 349 surface parking spaces.

The site is currently in a development reserve zone. Metro is asking for that to be changed to general mixed use.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2014-...-supermarket/1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs