HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 8:49 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It's insane, really. Theft over 5000? That's nowhere near as serious of a crime than he should have been charged with.
I think it is relating to the fact that he got into a police car and started reading biblical scripture over the loudspeaker, saying he was the second coming of Jesus. There have been a lot of second comings of Jesus lately.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 9:04 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
London has "tenements"? Really?
Yes, without question it does. Not many but they are around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Murders are basically impossible to predict, or prevent. And they almost always happen between people who know each other. Do you think any would be murderer or victim is wondering at the point the violence occurs that "hey, what will the good citizens of the community think!".

Good grief. Murders suck. But don't judge a community based on the fact some douchebag decides to stab his buddy to death in a drunken stupor (this isn't based on any specific crime, just an example of a common murder scenario in Winnipeg).
The term "Civic Pride" includes many things, one of which is the treatment of your fellow citizen (and all humans, for that matter). Sure, creating a good image for your community through positive action is one aspect of it, but that is not necessarily what I had in mind. Anyways, if enough people are murdering each other, it makes a very clear statement about either the social makeup and/or the economic circumstances of the community.

London and Windsor really are not so different. They're both stagnant industrial cities, they've both been hit by the collapse of the auto sector, and they both have high unemployment. There is no excuse for one city to have a dozen murder in the same period a very similar city has none.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Youth charged in fatal house fire makes court appearance

A 16-year-old male charged in relation to a fire on Springdale Street in St. John’s Sunday in which a 54-year-old man died, appeared in court today.
The youth is facing four arson-related charges — three causing bodily harm and one of damage to property.

The court was told today that further charges may be laid.

The youth will be back in court again on Tuesday for a status update on the case.

Meantime, RNC Const. Suzanne FitzGerald said its investigation into the incident is continuing and that more charges relating to culpable homicide may be laid against the accused.

However, she cautioned it is too early to speculate on where the investigation may proceed.

FitzGerald said there remains information to analyze, including physical evidence and forensic interviews, and the RNC also awaits the findings of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner on the cause of death.

RNC fire investigators and members of its forensic unit remained at the scene of the blaze on Monday.

Firefighters were called to the scene just before 4 a.m. Sunday with fire and heavy smoke visible in the home.

There were five people in the house at the time of the fire — four got out and were taken to hospital.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...t-appearance/1

Maybe justice will be served after all.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
I am a typical

I wonder what their relationship was. One of Thunder Bay's homicides a few years ago was a teenage boy who was "renting" a room from an older man, killing him then driving his body out to the bush in his car and lighting in on fire. Strange coincidence how similar events happen over such a large area without any interaction of the participants.

No idea how that court case turned out now that I think of it. Probably the same ol' "traumatic childhood" slap-on-the-wrist (not that I advocate hard prison time for the mentally distressed).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I wonder what their relationship was. One of Thunder Bay's homicides a few years ago was a teenage boy who was "renting" a room from an older man, killing him then driving his body out to the bush in his car and lighting in on fire. Strange coincidence how similar events happen over such a large area without any interaction of the participants.

No idea how that court case turned out now that I think of it. Probably the same ol' "traumatic childhood" slap-on-the-wrist (not that I advocate hard prison time for the mentally distressed).
I think the same thing is going to play out here. CBC news reported that the house was a boarding home which all of the occupants were renting rooms out of. The 16-year-old was supposedly a troubled teen who for some reason was living away from his parents at this boarding house. He's been in trouble with the law before: apparently he was one of the three teens who stole a car a few months ago, got in a high-speed chase with the police, and crashed the car through a fence onto a busy parkway just two minutes away from my house. I don't believe he was ever caught, as the boys fled the scene.

Whether such an arson was pre-meditated or not I'm not sure, but his neighbor who would make occasional small-talk with the young boy, who supposedly 4-5 days ago told the man that he had to "get out of that house, because shit was about to hit the fan."

Troubled teen, troubled past, troubled future. It's been seen before.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Body found in St. John's park

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary reports that human remains have been found in Bowring Park.

The St. John’s park is a popular area for runners and walkers but on Saturday the area around the swan pens was taken over by RNC officers. Police have closed a section of the park for the investigation.

Police got the call that a body had been found in a waterway running along the park’s greenhouse at 9:10 a.m. Saturday.

The deceased is a 28-years-old adult male. His family has been notified of his death.

The investigation into this case will be ongoing and the RNC will be trying to determine the cause of death.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...t-Johns-park/1

Maybe number 5 now for St. John's

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I think you'll see murder rates rise significantly in St. John's It's been one of the few cities in Canada to have major crime increases (especially violence based) over the past 5 years. I know the St. John's that I grew up for years is not the same place it was when moved back and lived there for three years up until last year. Hard drug use is rampant, with a growing divide between the rice and poor that is not helping any.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
I think you'll see murder rates rise significantly in St. John's It's been one of the few cities in Canada to have major crime increases (especially violence based) over the past 5 years. I know the St. John's that I grew up for years is not the same place it was when moved back and lived there for three years up until last year. Hard drug use is rampant, with a growing divide between the rice and poor that is not helping any.
The city has even changed in the past five years I've been here, especially in the past two years. When I first moved here severe crime was rarely an issue. Now there are places I'd never walk through after dark (not saying that I'd be murdered just for being in the wrong place, more like I fear there's a higher probability of being mugged). Big city crime has appeared to have caught up with this little city.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:06 AM

Winnipeg recorded it's 36th homicide this weekend. A male body was removed from an abandoned apt. block on Sat. No details have been released yet.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 1:28 AM

Winnipeg is at 37 a female in the North End was murdered today.

5.3/100 000

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Dec 6, 2011 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:31 AM

attempt of murder on me yesterday in Montreal but I'm still alive just came out the hospital

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:39 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
attempt of murder on me yesterday in Montreal but I'm still alive just came out the hospital
Could use a bit more of an explanation on this...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2011, 11:19 PM

A 38th homicide will be announced tomorrow. A man sits in the hospital brain dead after being shot in the back of the head in the city's the West End Yesterday Morning. The mother of the man will take him off of life support later tonight resulting in his death.

Neighbourhood Perspective:

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/homicides/

North End:
Lord Selkirk Park (Pop. 1 365) = 4
William Whyte (Pop. 6 220) = 2
Dufferin (Pop. 2 090) = 1
St. Johns (Pop. 7 725) = 2
Robertson (Pop. 4 205) = 1
Total (Pop. 21 605) = 10

Downtown:
Portage-Ellice (Pop 1 105) = 3
Central Park (Pop 3 555) = 3
Exchange Dist. (Pop 420) = 3
Total (Pop. 5080) = 9

North Central Winnipeg:
North Point Douglas (Pop. 2 225) = 7
Centennial (Pop. 2 225) = 1
Total (Pop. 4 450) = 8

South Winnipeg:
River-Osbourne (Pop. 4 880) = 2
Fort Richmond (Pop. 11 610) = 1
Munroe East (Pop 8 460) = 1
Niakwa Place (Pop. 2 385) = 1
Riverview (Pop. 4 350) = 1
Total (Pop. 31 685) = 6

West End:
Daniel Mcintyre (Pop. 9 750) = 3
St. Mathews (Pop. 5 575) = 1
Total (Pop. 15 325) = 4

North East Winnipeg:
Beaumont (Pop. 2 360) = 1
Total (Pop. 2 360) = 1

This date:
Winnipeg (Pop. 693 200) = 38
Winnipeg (2010) = 22
Winnipeg (2009) = 25

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Could use a bit more of an explanation on this...
some guy tried to rub me with a knife.. then i kicked his asshole then i was cut on my right arm then i called 911

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
some guy tried to rub me with a knife.. then i kicked his asshole then i was cut on my right arm then i called 911
thats nuts dude! Glad your ok!

Was this random attack on you?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 1:41 AM

Looks like Winipeg will hit the 40 mark of homicides for the year,
after the suspicious death of a woman in the north end this morning
will most likely bring the current total to 39 with 3 weeks to go.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
thats nuts dude! Glad your ok!

Was this random attack on you?
yes it was near by McGill university but I'm fine but not the guy! He is still at hospital hahahaha

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:09 PM
Change is good

45 now in Edmonton. What are the totals in other cities so far?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:23 PM

A stat update according to the Vancouver Sun, Vancouver is now at 14.

Quote:
Woman shot dead in Vancouver while child watched from BMW's back seat

VANCOUVER -- A 38-year-old woman driving a newer model BMW died in a spray of gunfire Wednesday afternoon as her toddler son looked on from the back seat.

Thursday morning Vancouver police have released the name of the woman. She was Thuy Yen "Jenny" Vu of Vancouver. She is not known to police.

The incident happened near 49th Avenue and Bruce Street in southeast Vancouver shortly after 3 p.m.

The homicide is Vancouver’s 14th of the year and second shooting in 24 hours.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
45 now in Edmonton. What are the totals in other cities so far?
I think Winnipeg is at about 350,000. The murderers are starting to murder other murderers... a murder half-life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada