HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 12:08 PM
Closed account

Gage Park

Public to get a look at redesign plan of Gage Park's north side

Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
(Feb 4, 2008)

The city will present its plan to redesign to the north side of Gage Park to the public this week.

An open meeting on Wednesday will also include information about the Lower East End Storm Drainage Study, which is examining how to deal with storm water in that end of the city.

The park area slated for development runs from Gage Avenue South, along Main Street East, to near the Hamilton Children's Museum. The section is not a block area and only a tail of land along Main Street comes down near the museum.

Four options were developed after a workshop with stakeholders. They were presented to the public in June 2006.

The Main Street component was consistent among all the options, said Steve Barnhart, a supervisor with the city's the open space development and park planning department.

The city is hoping to establish a main central hub for the park, revamp the pergola at the end of the formal garden and build a brick gateway at the corner of Gage and Main, among other things.

"That style of the brick gateway will set the tone for what we do at the south end of the park off Lawrence," Barnhart said.

"So we'll repeat that theme at the other end, which is also a main entry into the park."

The plan is not to affect the perennial gardens or the fountain.

Barnhart said he hopes the tender for the project will be done in the summer and that the entire development will be done by the time the 2009 winter season hits.

The rest of the plan for the park won't be finalized until a study regarding the central works yard in the park is completed, likely in April. The drainage study will also impact the overall plan.

Similar to the proposed park redevelopment, the drainage study also had the common theme of some sort of wet meadow in all of its options.

The idea is to provide long grass with cut paths that can act as water collector during major storms.

The meeting will be held Wednesday at Adelaide Hoodless Elementary School, 71 Maplewood Ave., from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 12:13 PM
Closed account

This is the section of Gage Park the article is referring to:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 3:39 PM

Yay! Finally some new from this project. I've been eagerly waiting for a decision for this park. I'm there walking my dog almost every night and I think its a fantastic public place.

I missed the first public meetings back in 06, ( I had just moved to the area in May 06) so I will definitley be going to this meeting.

Does anybody know if the idea of a Dog park was pitched at the june '06 meeting? I think it would be an amazing place for another Dog park like up at the SPCA.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:40 PM
Closed account

I don't think I have ever seen South Asians in Gage Park ever!? Maybe for a picnic, but that's about it.

I worked in the Delta for (almost) 4 years and spent almost every lunch hour in the park (whether it be the afternoon lunch or nightime lunch... depending on my schedule). I have never once been accosted, approached or harassed here.

I also have a female friend who lives right down the street from it, and her and I walk thru the park on nice evenings. Never had any problems.

I'm sick of people thinking this park is dangerous or ghetto b/c they heard someone was jumped once a couple years ago, or b/c of it's neighbourhood. Spend as much time in the park as possible... then you'll be comfortable enough to manoever it's wonderful trails without worrying about that group of teens at the tree who are probably just smoking pot anyway.

This isn't East LA, this is Hamilton. Crime here is surprisingly low. So don't listen to CHCH/The Spec's neo-con propoganda! Don't fear Gage Park... it's not a scary place AT ALL: Night or Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Lookin' good!!! I wish the entry-way was a little more eye-catching tho! Maybe a Washington Square'esq type of monument:

from wallyg @ Flickr, http://flickr.com/photos/wallyg/372294608/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 11:46 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
I don't think I have ever seen South Asians in Gage Park ever!? Maybe for a picnic, but that's about it.

I worked in the Delta for (almost) 4 years and spent almost every lunch hour in the park (whether it be the afternoon lunch or nightime lunch... depending on my schedule). I have never once been accosted, approached or harassed here.

I also have a female friend who lives right down the street from it, and her and I walk thru the park on nice evenings. Never had any problems
I'm sick of people thinking this park is dangerous or ghetto b/c they heard someone was jumped once a couple years ago, or b/c of it's neighbourhood. Spend as much time in the park as possible... then you'll be comfortable enough to manoever it's wonderful trails without worrying about that group of teens at the tree who are probably just smoking pot anyway.

This isn't East LA, this is Hamilton. Crime here is surprisingly low. So don't listen to CHCH/The Spec's neo-con propoganda! Don't fear Gage Park... it's not a scary place AT ALL: Night or Day!!

Lookin' good!!! I wish the entry-way was a little more eye-catching tho! Maybe a Washington Square'esq type of monument:
Hmmm ... I wonder where you've been hiding. East Hamilton has a sizeable and growing South Asian population, and (to generalize) they do tend to spend a lot of time in public parks, particularly Montgomery and to a slightly lesser extent Gage. Not that this is a relevant consideration at all - the only reason I can think that you would have mentioned your observation at all was to undermine the credibility of my post ... in which case I will say: Good day to you, sir.

No Hamilton is not overly crime-ridden, but it certainly is not crime free either. Gage isn't like Central Park in the 1970s, and I wasn't trying to give that impression at all. Nor was I trying to give cautionary tales of "roving bands of dangerous youth" or anything like that. I had a negative experience in the park. It wasn't anything epic or traumatizing. My sister had an unpleasant experience which was borderline traumatizing. It happens and could have happened anywhere. However, I do believe it was more likely to happen in Gage Park than, say, the park around my parents' house in Dundas.

Without meaning to give offence, I presume part of the fact that you are never accosted or approached in Hamilton has something to do with your age and/or appearance. I am hassled on an almost daily basis by people around my work downtown and so are my colleagues (to such an extent that we now know some of these people who harrass respectable-looking types almost by name). That being said, I am one of the depressingly small number of people in this city who actually has to wear a suit to work on most days, and that clearly is part of the problem. It certainly is more of a problem here in Hamilton, where the proportion of respectable-looking people to hobos (yes, I did just call them hobos) is much more out of whack than in a city like Toronto. Again, location is indeed a relevant consideration.

I like Hamilton because in general there isn't a lot of violent crime. There is quite a lot of theft, vandalism and petty stuff, however, which can be very annoying. Over the years I and members of my immediate family have been victims of a number of small crimes. Aside from the two acts which I mentioned above, I would catalogue them as follows:
- I was violently pushed off my bike in Parkdale Park when I was 11 years old by a bum (yes I did just call him a bum) who then proceeded to pull my hair. This WAS harrowing, particularly since it was completely unprovoked and I didn't see it coming.
- A different bike was stolen outside of the library entrance to Jackson Square, where it had been locked up.
- My father had two cars stolen out of our driveway in Dundas in the same year.
- My father had a lawn mower and some tools stolen out of our garage.
- My mother's car was broken into (windows smashed) in the parking lot of Chedoke Golf Course.
- My parents' front garden was trampled.
- My grandfather's car was broken into on a semi-regular basis parked outside of his house in the Durand.
- My grandfather's house was also broken into once that I know of (a laptop, some cash and jewellery were stolen).

That's all that I can think of that's happened in my lifetime. Not too bad, but not too great either. Hamilton does have crime, but it isn't really in-your-face like crime in Detroit or Baltimore (is reputed to be). Generally speaking, I would say that I felt safer walking alone at night on an empty street in Toronto when I lived there than in I do in Hamilton now, but that when I lived in London I felt more threatened (for whatever that's worth).

Again, part of the problem with Gage park is the proportional demographics. There are tonnes of scruffy people who hang out in London's Hyde Park or New York's Central, but even more respectable-looking people with their kids, jogging, cycling, (and in Hyde Park even riding horses) or just hanging out on benches or the lawn. It makes the place feel safer and more inviting to other respectable-looking people. For a long time Gage Park got a fair amount of bad press in the Hamilton media and I suppose it's never recovered in the eyes of the middle classes. The neighbourhood around it has gone downhill economically and there is little incentive for people to travel from other parts of town to use it.

Hmmm ... what else? Oh yes, the new gates look like shit.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:43 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
This sucks.

What's there now is better. I like the brick/gazebo thing. Does the city want to tear it down and build this cruddy little brick wall fence so they don't have to repair a few of the beams???

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
This sucks.

What's there now is better. I like the brick/gazebo thing. Does the city want to tear it down and build this cruddy little brick wall fence so they don't have to repair a few of the beams???
No, they're planning on restoring the wooden/brick gazebo structure. This is just for tne entry way. Currently there are a couple huge, cement planters and occasionally an event's sign. So imo, this design is better than what's currently there (mud & cement planters). But ya, the design is lame and needs a LOT more work!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ Likely to do with this.....

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:51 AM
Bobo in Purgatory

I love Gage Park as a park but I tend to avoid it nowadays. It has a seedy reputation for good reason.

My sister was aggressively accosted there a few years ago by a couple of older men to such an extent that we had to get police involved.

I was also attacked two summers ago by a group of South Asian youth who tried to knock me off my bike in the south west end of the park (presumably with the intention of stealing my beautiful Lemond ... like I was going to let that happen!).

I only go there now with my mom and grandmother for the Mum show in the fall.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:32 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
I...(presumably with the intention of stealing my beautiful Lemond ... like I was going to let that happen!).
Off-topic: Whoa...Lemond? As in, a road bike? If so, how about starting a new topic somewhere about rides in and around Hamilton?

How much do you ride? What kind of componentry do you have on your Lemond?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 4:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
I was also attacked two summers ago by a group of South Asian youth who tried to knock me off my bike in the south west end of the park (presumably with the intention of stealing my beautiful Lemond ... like I was going to let that happen!).
was it really necessary to mention their ethnicity? i guess it makes the incident seem more harrowing.

glad the city has decided to invest a little $ in the park. last time i was there it really needed a good scrubbing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:10 AM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
was it really necessary to mention their ethnicity? i guess it makes the incident seem more harrowing.

glad the city has decided to invest a little $ in the park. last time i was there it really needed a good scrubbing.
I just like to be descriptive, a slight literary streak I guess. I don't consider myself to be xenophobic or ethnically averse. My partner of 6 years is Jamaican of Sri Lankan and African descent. The people whom I'm used to seeing in my day-to-day life are certainly not all white ... if that was meant to be the implication (?).

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 5:43 AM
On Guard For Thee

It was once, and should be, one of the city's jewels. My most recent impressions of it were that it had been neglected, disrespected by some of the people who use it, and sadly, a potential haven for criminal activity. Investing some money and care into the park would work wonders for the area--it's a beautiful park and a great set of lungs for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:47 PM
Closed account

yea, this is pretty lame. I hate those digital screens too. back to the drawing board with this.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:09 PM

Seriously guys when's the last time you spent any amount of time in Gage Park?

I visit there all the time with my children. We ride around the park, visit the two playgrounds, climb on the bandshell, feed the squirells. I never see any vagrants. I see weddings, picnics and people walking dogs. Gage Park is a gem. It should be surrounded with a wall of high rises like Central Park. The flower beds a kept well. The fountain is in rough shape tho, and the washrooms are actually open (sometimes). The entrance gazebo thing has a couple broken benches and broken beer bottles but overall it's in good shape. The rose garden came back last year. I can't believe the negative comments about the park. It's the same incorrect perceived reality that plagues Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:17 PM

the city better put some 'bumps' on the paved circle area... god forbid a skateboarder might use it.

I'm glad to hear the City is keeping the gazebo. but this is so forgetable and unnoticable. It lacks any kind of imagination.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

The entrance at Gage and Main isn't too bad, the old wooden street post kinda ruins it for me.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:37 PM
Closed account

The Park could also benefit from improved lighting, especially at the Main/Gage entrance!

It's no wonder ppl think the park is dangerous... the lighting is so poor except around the fountain. I believe this is all part of the revamp plan tho:

- new/better lighting
- reno'd gazebo
- replazing rot iron fencing
- Main/Gage entryway
- possibility of a dog park on the N/E part of the park

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

LED lights for the fountain would be kick ass, especially with a mixture of colour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues