HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
...Back to Plaza Saltillo....what is the timeline for the construction of actual buildings? I may have missed that.
The Statesman article I linked to a few posts up has the most useful project info that I know of. But there is apparently no grocery store. I think if one was included it would have been mentioned.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:10 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Statesman article I linked to a few posts up has the most useful project info that I know of. But there is apparently no grocery store. I think if one was included it would have been mentioned.
Bummer! Hopefully that area will get a decent urban grocery store soon.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:19 AM

Quote:
I may be off base in stating this. But I think the City Council helped kill off the grocery store component because of their dislike for an 8-story office building fronting I-35. IIRC the grocery store was the ground floor retail of the office building. Since the height was limited by the city, and they required a big contribution (bribe?) to the affordable housing fund to allow 125', Endeavor went with all office space.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
There isn't the necessary space thru many sections for an entire line with double track. It'd require eminent domain that would destroy hundreds of homes between 183 and Manor Rd, which won't ever happen.

There are potential places in that stretch where you COULD double track without much problem (alongside Burnet MS & from Crestview St. to I-35), which would for all intents and purposes put the line in a position to operate as if it were entirely double tracked.
I don't believe this is an accurate statement.

1. CapMetro has future plans (or at least planning to plan) for double-tracking. It's included in the list of potential Project Connect 2.0 projects. Granted, that doesn't absolutely guarantee that they don't mean quote unquote "double-tracking" in a manner that you describe. But any concerns about sufficient Right of Way haven't surfaced in any of those discussions.

2. CapMetro's connections 2025 document called for eventually running the red line all-day/every-day. My interpretation is that this would then require (in the off peak) to be running passenger service and freight at the same time. A fully double-track would allow one track to be used for the lower frequency off-peak passenger service, and the other to be used for freight.

3. From the original planning document for the potential red-line bike/pedestrian trail, it seems like the width needed for double-tracking is only 35 feet.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...l%20report.pdf

I don't believe there's anywhere along the line where the RoW is less than this. Even between 183 and Manor road. Through Wooten/Crestview, it seems to be consistently 50 feet of RoW (via google satellite). The document also seems to imply this is the minimum

" This is especially challenging in areas where Capital Metro’s right-ofway
is only 50 feet wide and the required trail setbacks preclude trail development in the right-of-way "

The map later in that document also has 50' and 100' markings for RoW, but nothing smaller.

It also mentions future double-tracking.
" While several corridor segments presently have a single track, Capital Metro intends to
double-track the corridor in conjunction with the future commuter rail line. Future railroad sidings are also
planned in several locations (e.g., near the M.L. King, Jr., Burnet, Lakeline and Leander stations, and in the
area north of Howard Lane). Triple tracks are also planned in the area north of Howard Lane. "

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Come thru mama.

No seriously though. I was google earth-ing it, whereas you just straight up brought out the supporting documents. Thank you, as always, for elevating the convo.

P.S. I'm glad I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Come thru mama.

No seriously though. I was google earth-ing it, whereas you just straight up brought out the supporting documents. Thank you, as always, for elevating the convo.

P.S. I'm glad I'm wrong.
No problem.

Now, it may be a moot issue, as it may not happen (with the potential cost they're listing) but I don't think it's physically precluded. It just may be that there's always something more important to spend money on.

From another perspective (that of the bike/pedestrian) it's unfortunate that those sections of constrained RoW may prevent trail development in areas that (potentially) never see double tracking. Though overall it seems to be the right call.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I may be off base in stating this. But I think the City Council helped kill off the grocery store component because of their dislike for an 8-story office building fronting I-35. IIRC the grocery store was the ground floor retail of the office building. Since the height was limited by the city, and they required a big contribution (bribe?) to the affordable housing fund to allow 125', Endeavor went with all office space.
Can we get a SSP fund going to vote one of us onto city council?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:29 AM
World Traveler

^^ I'd give to that. Not much because I've been broke since we had our first kid, but I'll give my pennies where I can.

Thanks Novacek & wwmiv. I can always count on asking a question in this forum and getting an answer. Appreciate it!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Sucks that a grocery didn't happen here nor 1-2 East. Maybe at the archives next to ARCH?

I figure the HEB on 7th will remodel/redevelop at some point.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 12:51 PM

This is a major construction site now. Story and video from KXAN:

http://kxan.com/2017/06/28/10-acre-d...breaks-ground/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Minor changes to the facade.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:00 PM
Meh

Unfortunately, even with the site plan being approved and released now it doesn't include the elevations that show the heights. The height they had requested was 125 feet, but I'm not sure it's even that tall judging from the renderings.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:28 PM

I wonder what about the original design made the facade have those diagonal lines? Whatever the change the new rendering looks boring as f.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I wonder what about the original design made the facade have those diagonal lines? Whatever the change the new rendering looks boring as f.

If you look closely, the diagonal lines are still somewhat present. The mullions on the glass appear to have 3 different levels of depth coming off the glass that give just a slight hint of the diagonal motion from the initial renders.

My guess is that first render just conceptualized the idea of having that feature while now the second rendering shows that the architects actually figured out how to actually physically produce that concept.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:32 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Restaurants and a Name Change

http://www.statesman.com/business/fi...E04ERDbpJNjWO/

Quote:
Downtown Austin bar Ginger Man is relocating to Plaza Saltillo.

Austin developer Endeavor Real Estate Group has released the first batch of food-and-drink tenants for its 10-acre East Austin redevelopment project, including the popular watering hole.

Other new additions include Dolce Neve gelato shop, Tarka Indian Kitchen, Epoch Coffee, Stout Burgers & Beers and Barcelona, a wine and tapas bar.
Quote:
In addition, the project, which is being rebranded as simply Saltillo, will feature a public market where vendors will sell a variety of food, goods and services.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:03 PM

When zoomed in the Marriott webcam has a decent view of the Plaza Saltillo progress.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/tournee/AustinMarriott

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I found the same rendering from the same angle, but the office building looks slightly different:

I like the Community Impact rendering better.

Also, another rendering from a different angle:

Source
Is this the final design for Plaza Saltillo? Also are there any plans with how the rail will be incorporated into this?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Also are there any plans with how the rail will be incorporated into this?
Are you asking how the tracks will look inside the development? You won't really see the trains much. The actual rails will cut through a park area close to the station at the edge of the development and then run along the southern edge (4th St) so they'll be out of the way from pedestrians visiting the retail portion. You'll only really see them from the apartments aside from some flashes in the far background of the development. It's funny that the trains will pass right next to the apartment's pool.

The actual train station is operational and is on the eastern edge of the development.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:00 AM

The office building will be 135' tall per this FAA permit:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...3808057&row=14

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin