Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:09 PM
Near Generational

Tampa better show up tonight in Wash.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 7:27 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
You are so predictable! Why were you not posting about the score or the crowd noise on Saturday night?
Probably because he wants Vegas to win.

(I hope no one was harmed when your head exploded)

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The only way QC gets a franchise is through a relocation. It is possible. It just depends on whether the Board of Governors are willing to give up on a US city and region (and the potential revenue stream from that region).

When the Thrashers relocated from Atlanta to Winnipeg (as the Jets), the NHL basically abandoned a large swath of the southeastern US. In part this was realism. Of all the regions of the US, this region is likely the one most opaque to hockey. The southeast is football country. All other sports are communist.

I think the NHL wants to keep a team in Phoenix (and likely establish a new one in Houston) because this is a fast growing (and wealthy) area of the country, and they want to maintain a critical mass of teams in the area to ignite rivalries.

Bettman isn't going to give up on Phoenix until the bitter end. Phoenix may in fact become the petard upon which Bettman finally gets hoisted......
And yet...

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/rsl/20...ndance-record/

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
You are so predictable! Why were you not posting about the score or the crowd noise on Saturday night?
Because crowd noise is all that I've been hearing about Winnipeg. But after only one goal against the crowd was nearly silent. Then silenced after two despite there being so much time left.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Because crowd noise is all that I've been hearing about Winnipeg. But after only one goal against the crowd was nearly silent. Then silenced after two despite there being so much time left.
Were you there? What did you think about the crowd noise on Saturday?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The Winnipeg Jets are Canada's team to many people across the country because they are the only Canadian city left in the NHL playoffs#
Please stop saying this. We are NOT Canada's team by any means. We are Winnipeg's team only. It's embarrasing as a Jets to read this as it does reek of arrogance. I hate it when Jets fans proclaim it equally as much as when Leafs fans do.

Please stop.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Can you blame him? He's a Canucks fan who is still salty after his team's performance this year. I can understand why he's not singing praises for us.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Please stop saying this. We are NOT Canada's team by any means. We are Winnipeg's team only. It's embarrasing as a Jets to read this as it does reek of arrogance. I hate it when Jets fans proclaim it equally as much as when Leafs fans do.

Please stop.
You *can* be Canada's team for the next week or two. Just don't let it go to your heads!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:41 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Please stop.
That's ironic considering Jets fans were proclaiming themselves Canada's team when the Leafs were still in the playoffs. Perception more than reality?
Jays marketing does it. The Raptors marketing does it. So the Leafs do it too?

P.S. The marketing for the Jays and Raptors is pretty successful and it's not targeting Torontonians. Of course, ignorance is always present. Some locals including forumers will take it to heart. In Winnipeg's case, it's more the fans of the city wanting to be in the national spotlight than some national marketing campaign to sell merchandise and up TV viewership.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:22 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't want to be known as Canada's team. The Jets are for Winnipeg and Manitoba. I am not one who prescribes to the notion that a Canadian team remaining in the playoffs is Canada's team. I don't cheer for other Canadian teams when the Jets are not in the playoffs. I like stories...such as Las Vegas amazing first year story (although as a Jets fan it must come to an end). They are someone I would cheer for....if not for the Jets.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 7:02 AM

Winnipeg loses again.
Vegas up 2 games to 1.
Does Vegas have more Canadian players than Winnipeg??

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:31 PM

Yes, Vegas is the most Canadian team left.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That's ironic considering Jets fans were proclaiming themselves Canada's team when the Leafs were still in the playoffs. Perception more than reality?
Jays marketing does it. The Raptors marketing does it. So the Leafs do it too?

P.S. The marketing for the Jays and Raptors is pretty successful and it's not targeting Torontonians. Of course, ignorance is always present. Some locals including forumers will take it to heart. In Winnipeg's case, it's more the fans of the city wanting to be in the national spotlight than some national marketing campaign to sell merchandise and up TV viewership.
As a non Torontonian I don't give two rats asses about the Jays or the Raptors. I'll choose my own teams to cheer for if I'm so inclined.

As for the Jets being Canada's team? I don't really see it here in Ottawa. I wear my Jets jersey when I go to my local pub to watch the game and everyone is polite but that is about it.

The Jets drawing area would be Eastern Saskatchewan (east of Regina, Regina itself is more of an Oilers town, although that is waning a bit) , Manitoba, NW Ontario (as far as Thunder Bay?) and the northern edge of North Dakota

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:08 PM
I am the law!

You are inclined to do whatever you please as with everyone else.Your inclination doesn't mean the whole Canada's team campaign hasn't been successful for the Jays and Raptors.

It won't be good should a first year expansion club win the Stanley Cup. Not for Vegas. Not for the league. Although, a small market team winning isn't much better.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Yes, Vegas is the most Canadian team left.

Vegas: Canada's team

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:52 PM

The Raptors are not popular in BC. Maybe because we had our own team? Or maybe because Toronto is just so far away.

#theytheeast

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
You are inclined to do whatever you please as with everyone else.Your inclination doesn't mean the whole Canada's team campaign hasn't been successful for the Jays and Raptors.

It won't be good should a first year expansion club win the Stanley Cup. Not for Vegas. Not for the league. Although, a small market team winning isn't much better.
I'm not discounting the success of the Blue Jays campaign across Canada. The Raptors are trying but they are nowhere near Jays level outside of the GTA.
I'm a contrarian by nature so pushing back against the fake rah rah for Toronto teams is just what I do.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:54 PM

^ No question that the Jays resonate across Canada but I think some people here are wildly overestimating how much interest there is in the Raptors outside the GTA and maybe Ontario in general. It's pretty minimal in Manitoba and virtually nonexistent once you get outside the demographic of high school or college-age males.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:59 PM
I am the law!

Of course. It shouldn't come at any surprise. The "we the north" is still their most successful campaign outside of Toronto. I'm with you. I don't fault the fake nationalistic campaigns. I'm just sadden by their success with bandwagon types.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:11 PM

All this Canada's team talk is pointless now that Vegas in gonna win the series.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada