HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:24 AM
Dustin William

This project needs to happen, at proposed height. Landmark Place should not exist as the tallest tower in town - it's a disgrace - it's a big concrete crap-chute. Sorry! TV City and others with better architectural presence should dominate the skyline. This whole BS with the limit on height to match the escarpment height is absolute insanity. Hamilton is a changing city for the better - it's time the idiots in charge of the city wake up.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:04 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the905sDW View Post
This project needs to happen, at proposed height. Landmark Place should not exist as the tallest tower in town - it's a disgrace - it's a big concrete crap-chute. Sorry! TV City and others with better architectural presence should dominate the skyline. This whole BS with the limit on height to match the escarpment height is absolute insanity. Hamilton is a changing city for the better - it's time the idiots in charge of the city wake up.
Hear, bloody hear. OMB hearing coming up in a couple months... I became a participant, and I'll be speaking in heavy favour of it. Hopefully the OMB recognizes the silliness of these NIMBY height rules and allows it to go ahead at height or near it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:23 AM

Yeah it is nuts. Look at all the supply Television City would have produced if the city had approved it. I worry that the next recession is going to come soon and all these projects will end up kiboshed and it will be early 90s all over again.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 3:19 AM

It's March, do we have a date for the hearing yet?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 6:15 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
It's March, do we have a date for the hearing yet?
5 days beginning March 25th.

I'm working on my participant statement.

Friday was the final day for parties to submit evidence so I need to review the evidence (which was emailed to me). I am not sure if I'm able to share the files so I won't at this time.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
5 days beginning March 25th.

I'm working on my participant statement.

Friday was the final day for parties to submit evidence so I need to review the evidence (which was emailed to me). I am not sure if I'm able to share the files so I won't at this time.
Where can we submit statements, and where do we view evidence of other information?' Could you send us/me your statements so I don't repeat/contradict your statement? I'd like to start making statements as much as possible.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 7:45 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Where can we submit statements, and where do we view evidence of other information?' Could you send us/me your statements so I don't repeat/contradict your statement? I'd like to start making statements as much as possible.
To give a statement at the OMB hearing you have to be a registered participant. I registered at the Prehearing on October 26th. I don't know if you can still become a participant, but I will send you a private message with contact info to the Case Coordinator who can give you info regarding whether or not you are still able to become a participant.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
To give a statement at the OMB hearing you have to be a registered participant. I registered at the Prehearing on October 26th. I don't know if you can still become a participant, but I will send you a private message with contact info to the Case Coordinator who can give you info regarding whether or not you are still able to become a participant.
I wouldn't be able to attend as I work, but if I can submit statements I will.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:37 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
.@JasonFarrHamOnt just walked onto the Special Council meeting a motion related to LPAT (former OMB) appeal by Television City. It's entitled Settlement Offer. This is a major procedural exception. Council approves, this is now on the agenda. #yhmcc
https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...73400232681473

I have a big update on Television City coming up tomorrow at noon. I will link it once finished.

Last edited by lachlanholmes; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:51 AM

I hope they haven't shrunk it down too much. The city needs the supply.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:06 PM

Hope Hamilton hasn't botched this one up too much
...too bad it even had to become an issue

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:05 PM
Forever forward.

Television City revised to two 32 storey towers:

Read our article here.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Television City revised to two 32 storey towers:

Read our article here.
I think this proves Hamilton is dumb as fuck. They got him to reduce the height by a few floors, lost half the cycling spots, nearly 100 parking spots, barely lost any units and significantly reduced 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units. All while the hulking double 32 storey condo is still there. Outside the view from a few wealthy escarpment houses, there is barely any change, save for terrible affects on unit sizes and bdrm counts.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:26 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I think this proves Hamilton is dumb as fuck. They got him to reduce the height by a few floors, lost half the cycling spots, nearly 100 parking spots, barely lost any units and significantly reduced 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom units. All while the hulking double 32 storey condo is still there. Outside the view from a few wealthy escarpment houses, there is barely any change, save for terrible affects on unit sizes and bdrm counts.
Totally agree. Very disappointed with the changes to 2 and 3 bedroom unit counts. Oh well, we'll see what happens next week.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:41 PM

New podium is design is awful too

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:41 PM

Would become the twin second tallest slightly taller than 20/22 george.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:02 PM

Winning Hamilton style.... #unstoppable lolololol

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 11:14 PM

So basically Hamilton city council took something from interesting and potentially landmark status to uninteresting and squat .... Good job ! They deserve a raise and maybe a plaque in the city somewhere.... As long as it doesn't interfere with the view of the escarpment!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:18 AM

The architecture leaves something to be desired. It's too easy to design a glass box but that's how the market works. I am hoping it's constructed using curtain wall and not window wall at least.

Overall, I'm OK with the decision. The height is reasonable. The bedroom-unit share is unfortunate, but happy with the increase in retail units and more attention being paid to the public realm as well as the use of materials that better represent the neighbourhood character.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:46 AM

Well... I think were all dissapointed here. IMO going 30 and 33 would just make it look nicer, or 30 and 34 to keep the number of floors. Nonetheless, at least something is being built. They could have just entirely rejected the building based on its location, as I know there was some local pushback I believe a while back. Another missed shot for the city, but not a complete loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton