HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 1:58 AM

Unfortunately, I agree with the judge. It's like asking a driver to replace an '74 Volvo with a '05 BMW after running a red light and totaling both cars. Of course that is a huge simplification, but still.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:07 AM

I don't quite follow. How is thwe judge's verdict, itself fairly clear cut in the article, an oversimplification?
How is this analagous to replacing one thing with another?
Is there a source you can ppoint me to that might have a fuller version of the judge's opinion?
Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:28 AM

I too agree with the judge's decision, as much as I want 2WTC built, it wouldn't be fair for the airlines to pay for the attacks especially when Silverstein already got 4 Billion in insurance money, that'll be like getting paid twice for the same thing; plus there's plenty of blame to go around when it comes to the attack. Not to mention that if they had to pay, the cost would probably have to trickle down to the consumer, I love the tower but I'm not sure if I wanna bankroll it. Let's build this tower like the other ones, the right way!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:37 AM

TY for the clarification. 4 billion should sound more than adequate fundingwise to complete 200G *with* an anchor tenant; so I'm somewhat beginning to wonder why this crusade should take any precedence over landing one to begin with.
Let's not get distracted if that's the case.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:57 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I doubt this will be as expensive as the first tower.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Photo from www.wtc.com
(Joe Woolhead)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:51 PM

So this is an entirely temporary mechanical floor that would need to be remove when construction resumes?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 1:27 PM

Not entirely, Everything within those silver corrugated shelters are actually core support columns / structures which were built above ground. Those walls with the black caps are also part of the tower. The rest was built on top / around it to provide HVAC / mechanical services to the many sub-levels.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Not entirely, Everything within those silver corrugated shelters are actually core support columns / structures which were built above ground. Those walls with the black caps are also part of the tower. The rest was built on top / around it to provide HVAC / mechanical services to the many sub-levels.
Still, it will be interesting (when the time comes) to see how they build upward around all this existing mechanical. I would think, all this mechanical will need to stay in place, at least until they build up to the actual mechanical floors and connect those systems to the existing below ground duct work. Tenants established in the below ground retail spaces will not want to abandon their businesses, just because construction restarts above. I would imagine all that was factored in to the plan when they decided to cap the foundation.

Last edited by soulcapn; Jul 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:33 PM

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how that plays out. I'm not familiar with the plans, but I would have to imagine the mechanical space which would provide these services would be located somewhere above the lobby (see Tower 3 for the best reference).

I wonder if they might transfer things to temporary external systems (think those trailer generators) until they are ready to move things back to the building. They're going to need to have the iron workers, the concrete crews, etc. all back working right in that space.

EDIT:
Also, I think it's interesting how they chose to fence in the building. They've built the cap with such a "permanently temporary" setup. Say it takes 3 more years before they're ready to restart construction (July 2016). By then the Transit Hub will be open, as will 1 and 4 WTC, and 3 should be either open or at the final stages of construction. You'd assume by then that the rest of the plaza will be opened up. The Memorial plaza will be open to the public, and the streets should be opened as well.

In that case, this building will sit as it is now, quietly waiting to be built. But notice how they left the exterior columns on the west side outside the fence. I guess the thinking is that wrapping a super thick I-beam in a chain link fence doesn't serve much purpose, but it's interesting that they'd leave part of the superstructure exposed like that.

Obviously, we're all hoping (and I'm betting) that this tower will rise before they open up everything, and this corner of the site will remain fenced off similarly to how it is now.

It'll also be very interesting to see how they'll open the Transit Hub before 2 WTC is complete. Being so tightly squeezed (and being such a massive building) into the corner of this lot will be interesting. People will be able to get very close to it as it is built.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:17 PM

also this year 9-11-2013 is coming up
the site looks good in the pictures
any pics from the basement levels
and train hall ??

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcapn View Post
Tenants established in the below ground retail spaces will not want to abandon their businesses, just because construction restarts above. I would imagine all that was factored in to the plan when they decided to cap the foundation.
This is the only section of the below ground retail that won't open when the rest of it will.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 8:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Another overview from www.wtc.com (August 11, 2013) by Joel Woolhead

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Actually that's a fascinating story. You'll notice two pediments in elevation, One that is taller and closer to the building, and the completed one resting on the columns. This is because the original columns were too tall to fit around the curves of the Tiber during shipping.
some rare Egyptian granite monolithic columns were broken during the trip., so they cut.
That kind of granite has now disappeared with that grain, and that color.
One or two columns were replaced by some pope in renaissance

Last edited by Kurtz; Sep 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM. Reason: error

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:38 AM

Where is the construction crew? Why they hasn't build a new WTC2? Where the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
also this year 9-11-2013 is coming up
the site looks good in the pictures
any pics from the basement levels
and train hall ??

Yes, the 9/11 anniversary is coming up on next Wednesday. This will be 12th years anniversary of 9/11 attacks.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Where is the construction crew? Why they hasn't build a new WTC2? Where the pictures?
2 WTC is currently on hold until an anchor tenant can be found. Hopefully one will be found soon.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 7:14 AM

If the foundations are in place it can be build at anytime. Could there be any chance that the design of the building could change?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonhp View Post
If the foundations are in place it can be build at anytime. Could there be any chance that the design of the building could change?
Silverstein says no, so no.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 9:35 PM

This image appears to match up pretty well.

I found it here:
http://www.designscene.net/2009/06/w...oster-and.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

From www.wtc.com (Joel Woolhead)

Sept 1, 2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction