HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pop-up forest in Times Square hits first funding goal

Quote:
New York City is no slouch when it comes to green space, but a temporary installation is now in the works to bring nature right into the heart of New York's urban jungle.

Ecologist Marielle Anzelone is behind "PopUP Forest: Times Square," a project to create an "urban oasis" that's just surpassed its inital $25,000 funding goal on Kickstarter.

The plan: In the middle of the night, Anzelone and her team will install towering trees, native wildflowers, shrubs, mosses and ferns in a public plaza in Times Square, providing an immersive natural experience in what the campaign page calls "the most unnatural place on the planet."

Guided woodland walks, interpretive signs and hands-on activities for kids would help visitors navigate the new natural setting, while nature sounds would be streamed live from Manhattan's Inwood Hill Park.

After three weeks, the pop-up would be dismantled and the greenery used in small parks and schoolyards around the city.

The first $25,000 has been earmarked for the installation's design, as well the creation of a protoype "PopUP" in Gowanus, Brooklyn in summer 2015.
==========================
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...cle-1.2168448#

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:01 PM

I walked through the southern part of Times Sq last week and I gotta say, the new pedestrianized area is amazing. It was really a great sensation leisurely walking through in the actual MIDDLE of Times Sq rather than before when you'd walk on the sidewalks on the sides and you were mainly looking at one side of the square. It's truly a plaza now (way more so than its previous state when they closed it to car traffic and simply plopped down some tables and chairs). And it really feels modern and definitely more pleasant experience with a bit more breathing room even though it was rush hour when I went through. Can't wait until it's seamless with the northern parts.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A fantasy vision, not a real proposal:

= = = = = = = = = =

Times Square will be giant skyscraper with homes, shops, beaches in 3015: contest entry

Quote:
In 3015, Times Square may be a giant skyscraper capable of sustaining a whole city.

That's the idea behind Times Squared, a concept entered in the eVolo Skyscraper Competition.

It redesigns Times Square as a giant skyscraper that contains homes, shops, offices, vertical farms, a beach, a miniature mountain range and a redwood forest. Basically, everything a human ever needs.

"Peaking over a mile above the city, the tower pushes the boundaries of how vertical a skyscraper can be," the team behind the concept said in a statement. "When fully taken advantage of, Times Squared 3015 proves the skyscraper typology capable of fitting an entire city within itself."

The idea is for humans to live in the giant tower and never have a reason to leave. This concept is not the first of its kind. Many architects and concept designers have illustrated similar cities of the future, ranging from Manhattan being covered by a glass dome to a city built completely underwater.

Times Squared did not win eVolo Magazine's Skyscraper Competition, but it was one of the honorable mentions. The first place was given to the Essence Skyscraper, which introduces the idea of a building's different floors having different habitats like a jungle, a mountain and a fish tank.
================================
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...cle-1.2174171#

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:38 AM
Houston:Considered Good

I'm thinking that "beach" is a little bit more like a "pool with sand".

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:54 AM

Why don't they dome it over like Fremont Street in Las Vegas?

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:10 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Does New York still have laws requiring the lit up ads? If so, I could see them expanding the area that the ordinance is in place, expanding the Times Square environment for a few blocks. They could spread the crowds out that way. I stayed in Times Square in 2004 and could see expanding it outward a few blocks working. The McDonalds and Madame Tussauds already do a bit.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The zoning ordinance apply towards developments in T. Square and its a requirement for the bright and lit up LED's and so on.

The Square is expanding. 42nd street heading West feels like a new Times Square for a while walking towards the Hudson. The new developments have really added some spice to the area. Also, 7th and 34th is like a mini T. Square.

Its slowly expanding in all directions.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 1:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Was in the city today, and checked out the square. There is still tons of construction with a portion of 7th Avenue being closed. This is causing chaos though as pedestrians are forced onto the street. Plaza is looking nice though. Thing is that its so busy, thats its already easy to tell some wear and tare in it. Streets definitely need to be repaved near it.

Other then that, it is f**ckin crowded. Probably busiest I've seen it in a while.

Some cool parades though. Big food festival near Herald Square along 6th Avenue, and there was a Scottish parade. Lots of bag pipes and skirts.

One thing though that can't be stressed enough is Penn Stations overcrowding. While the Square is always busy, it does a good job of handling the crowds, but Penn is falling apart. Delays as usual today. While we've noticed that its overcrowded, its only getting worse at Penn. City needs to get on that expansion pronto.

I'll upload some pics once they go to my dropbox.

Last edited by chris08876; Apr 12, 2015 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Current Status:

Guy holding a Jesus sign:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 7:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The band "coldplay" is playing live in the square today.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:09 AM

Tourist density is much worse the local density. Nothing wrong with lots of people in cohesive movement, its when people just idle and linger and then movements just creeps or does not happen at all.

Times Square is just people looking around, people trying to move, people trying to sell you crap, and then a few lurkers looking to steal stuff very discretely. I went there once in 2013 and never have been back since in any returns to NYC. Yuk.

Nothing wrong with tourist density but you need a system in place for the mass of locals that work in that area. A underground system of walkways and shops to cater to teh working population would work here. Tourists would not have a use for it unless it was to escape the heat one hot summer day. The Toronto undergound PATH is a quiet wasteland outside of work hours, they attempt to make it a tourist draw but its confusion to non-locals and they don't want to be trapped undergound on vacation. Montreal has the same issues with its undergound city. Locals can use that as refuge from the mess outside and you can just keep it as what its for the people that want to go enjoy it.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 12:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Plaza/Street Fix Update: (Taken Via Earthcam: 5/11/15)

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Plaza Construction Update:

1) Was checking the cameras, and they are finishing up the sections in between the shops (Forever 21, Times Square, TGI Fridays ,etc. Once they finishes these small portions, they will reroute pedestrian traffic in a zigzag formation to finish the rest of the side walk.

2) Central Times Square (crossroads), is starting to show signs of the excavation being complete, and they are installing the subterranean features of the plaza on the Eastern side while the Western side is getting a pavement treatment (from which the plaza stones will be set on top).

3) Extrances to the shops expanded, so this will help alleviate some pedestrian jams.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:47 PM

I don't understand the obsession with times square, it's an ugly streetscape, a huge mess of seizure inducing bright lights. Whenever I visit NY I'll gladly avoid it.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:10 PM

Agreed. It's like a really really crowded suburban shopping mall, with bright lights. It may have been kinda cool 10-20 years ago when it was on the upswing but not yet completely taken over by chains. But now, meh.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its because we are use to it. We all tend to avoid the area, but for 1st timers or those that come for a 2nd or 3rd visit, and make NYC their vacation for the year, for which the planned and planned for months, it means a lot. Really nothing compares around the world. Its typical for noob visitors to visit the cliche sights, while seasoned explorers will venture into the outer boroughs. But in the end, who cares if people love the place. Let them have fun.

Although one thing is annoying, and thats when they stop suddenly to take pictures in the middle of a busy sidewalk.

But people really do love this city. I remember seeing peoples eyes glow with new life looking out the window when landing at JFK. For some, this city is a dream come true to visit. Often, they leave in sadness. Not because they didn't enjoy themselves, but because they want the lifestyle.

And this is why NYC tourism is flourishing and why there has been such an effort to improve it. Because this city is addictive and if you increase the high, they keep coming back and they do.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:34 PM

Maybe it's because I'm American but I always hear complaints about NY rather than it being a "dream" to visit, unless you're a billionaire with a penthouse view, New York city lifestyle isn't envied in the way that a European lifestyle is like when we think of Rome or Paris.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 8:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Depends who you ask. There's no definite answer its all based on personality and preference. Some love it, some hate it. Could be love at first sight or not. There is no superior way to live. Some prefer a house in the mountains with nothing around them or a noisy, crowded place.

In terms of NYC living, its not all about materialism and fancy views. Many are happy with a small studio and want or live there for the lifestyle. Same way some like Rome or Madrid for a laid-back lifestyle. But I don't want to entertain this because this is a good thread and comparing cities would mean the dancing lock.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 9:06 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Maybe it's because I'm American but I always hear complaints about NY rather than it being a "dream" to visit, unless you're a billionaire with a penthouse view, New York city lifestyle isn't envied in the way that a European lifestyle is like when we think of Rome or Paris.
It is because you live in USA, if you lived in France, you would hear a lot of complaints about Paris.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions