HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:20 PM
-

As for the food options in the new terminal the Airport has said the major concessions wont be open for a lil while longer so it will be kiosks for some time.

BTW reading the article on the airport it sounds to me like they have made a decision to build a whole new airport on the northside of the runways. This is great but seems silly to have that in the plan but to start building the rental car facility on the southside.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
As for the food options in the new terminal the Airport has said the major concessions wont be open for a lil while longer so it will be kiosks for some time.

BTW reading the article on the airport it sounds to me like they have made a decision to build a whole new airport on the northside of the runways. This is great but seems silly to have that in the plan but to start building the rental car facility on the southside.
The date given in the article is "by 2018". I'd assume it would take something like 3-4 years to basically build a new airport, so I think that was ambition speaking.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 8:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
The date given in the article is "by 2018". I'd assume it would take something like 3-4 years to basically build a new airport, so I think that was ambition speaking.
Yeah but three 3-4 years is like tomorrow when you think about it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah but three 3-4 years is like tomorrow when you think about it.
I actually spent some time thinking about the time frame after I made the post, and the best thing I can come up with is this:

It's almost 2012. So let's say that by the end of 2012, we have secured the funding, which is likely at least a billion dollars, to revamp the entire airport. Then you take '13 and '14 for design and whatever other prep needs to be done. That leaves '15-'17 for it to be built. Just judging by the time it generally takes to get a large project done around here, I don't think we'll be seeing a new airport by 2018, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:14 PM
-

Quote:
I actually spent some time thinking about the time frame after I made the post, and the best thing I can come up with is this:

It's almost 2012. So let's say that by the end of 2012, we have secured the funding, which is likely at least a billion dollars, to revamp the entire airport. Then you take '13 and '14 for design and whatever other prep needs to be done. That leaves '15-'17 for it to be built. Just judging by the time it generally takes to get a large project done around here, I don't think we'll be seeing a new airport by 2018, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
That was my point. They must have already decided to build there and are already going through schematics. Because otherwise that timeframe is unrealistic!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 9:36 PM

Audubon Hotel

Hi, this was an earlier topic--didn't hear an answer on. Anybody out there know why the Audubon Hotel fell through? Anything else planned for that site? I was very excited about getting some new activity along this stretch of St. Charles Ave. through the LGD. A new pub (Irish House) opened a couple months ago at the corner of St. Charles and Melpomene, so I was hoping that the momentum would continue.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 9:17 AM

I really hope they do not go forward with the new terminal on the northside of the runway complex. The more logical choice would be to expand on the western side of the terminal complex and then renovate the ticketing lobby and baggage claim areas.

My main concern is with the landing fees at the airport. They are already above the national average, and any increase in fees would reduce service and increase ticket costs. Good examples of building beautiful new (but empty) terminals would be in Indianapolis and Sacramento. The terminals are empty because the cost to build the airport has been passed onto the airlines via landing fees. Airlines do not want to pay high fees, so they drastically reduced service to these communities.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I really hope they do not go forward with the new terminal on the northside of the runway complex. The more logical choice would be to expand on the western side of the terminal complex and then renovate the ticketing lobby and baggage claim areas.

My main concern is with the landing fees at the airport. They are already above the national average, and any increase in fees would reduce service and increase ticket costs. Good examples of building beautiful new (but empty) terminals would be in Indianapolis and Sacramento. The terminals are empty because the cost to build the airport has been passed onto the airlines via landing fees. Airlines do not want to pay high fees, so they drastically reduced service to these communities.
I completely agree. Besides the increase in landing fees that would come from building a new terminal to the north, doesn't make much sense to me to spend $300 million now if you are planning on a new terminal in under 10 years. Also, would the airport have to build new parking garages as well to the north? Seems that renovating and expanding the current terminal is the way to go at this point.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 4:13 PM

The airport article has more info now than the last time I looked at it. Did anybody else notice that it says we have added charter flights to Cuba? Not sure how reliable that is, haven't seen an official announcement and may just be blowing smoke.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 5:37 PM
-

Quote:
The airport article has more info now than the last time I looked at it. Did anybody else notice that it says we have added charter flights to Cuba? Not sure how reliable that is, haven't seen an official announcement and may just be blowing smoke.
Yes Cuba approved accepting Chartered flights from New Orleans. You wont really know about these flights as to travel to Cuba you are supposed to have family, government, or educational reasons.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 8:14 AM

The article also stated that another new international desitantion will be announced soon. There is a large Central American population here, so I'm wondering if it will finally be the return of TACA. That airline flew here for decades...until Katrina. I think it was 4x weekly service to San Pedro Sula, Honduras in 2005.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 2:45 PM
-

I was hopeful it would be London... I think Virgin was the one rumored to expand here

Also why does that article keep growing? so weird!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 3:56 PM

Magazine and Jackson Ave

What is the building going up on the corner of Magazine and Jackson Ave across from Stein's Deli? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 6:54 PM
-

Its an upscale burger joint called Charcoal.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
The article also stated that another new international desitantion will be announced soon. There is a large Central American population here, so I'm wondering if it will finally be the return of TACA. That airline flew here for decades...until Katrina. I think it was 4x weekly service to San Pedro Sula, Honduras in 2005.
On 107.5 (the spanish language radio station) they advertise already for flights to San Pedro Sula. Its been a pretty popular service before. I wouldn't be surprised if they started flights to El Salvador (TACA's hub) or Costa Rica as well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 5:36 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Tennis. Don't know why I misread that.

As far as San Pedro Sula, i'm guessing that the flights advertised on the Spanish-language station are the ones that go through Houston on Continental/United. That became the go-to route to Central America once we lost Taca. I actually doubt that it's Taca returning, but who knows?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
I was hopeful it would be London... I think Virgin was the one rumored to expand here

Also why does that article keep growing? so weird!!!
That would be great if we could get London, Amsterdam, or Frankfurt, which are basically the big three of European hubs (of course Paris is in this group too). I know I sound like a nut every time I talk about air travel, but it's something I have an intense interest in.

The problem I would see with that (from an airline's point of view) would be that the routing would be inconvenient for one of the two groups- i.e., if you're coming from London, it would be easier to fly London-Atlanta-New Orleans than London-Frankfurt-(once-daily)New Orleans, and similarly for people coming from New Orleans and going to Europe.

I love air travel, and I'm still hoping that sometime in the near future we'll have enough business or tourism, or a wealthy enough demographic, that we could again see flights to Europe. Memphis has an Amsterdam flight, and they're really not much of a hub at this point; their total passenger numbers are barely above ours.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
That would be great if we could get London, Amsterdam, or Frankfurt, which are basically the big three of European hubs (of course Paris is in this group too).
The city should definitely advertise itself better internationally. If Houston's downtown can attract large numbers of European tourists there is no reason that we can't. The Euro cruises show that there is a potential.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
I love air travel, and I'm still hoping that sometime in the near future we'll have enough business or tourism, or a wealthy enough demographic, that we could again see flights to Europe. Memphis has an Amsterdam flight, and they're really not much of a hub at this point; their total passenger numbers are barely above ours.
It's interesting looking at this article on the Memphis-Amsterdam route that their biggest through-routing on the flight is actually New Orleans - Amsterdam. http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1060 Perhaps your idea isn't so nutty after all?

Of course it's a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be great to get a foreign carrier that is not already servicing the South? None of the regional hubs (DFW, IAH, ATL or MIA) offer direct flights to quite a few major Asian airports (no direct flights into Beijing, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, or Kuala Lumpur). Maybe a good airline to target would be Cathay Pacific. They currently do cargo-only runs to Miami, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, but don't do passenger service to any of them (they do passenger service to Chicago, LA, NY, and SF). On the Asian side, they have hubs in Hong Kong, Taipei, and Bangkok. It's great to imagine the idea of Cathay making New Orleans a hub for Asian air-cargo and passengers into the South (I'm sure their airline alliance partners would never allow this, though).

On the European side, it might make sense to target Madrid (since IAH does not have non-stop service to the markets) or Rome (since IAH, DFW, and MIA don't have service - so you could target southern Continental and AA fliers).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Of course it's a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be great to get a foreign carrier that is not already servicing the South? None of the regional hubs (DFW, IAH, ATL or MIA) offer direct flights to quite a few major Asian airports (no direct flights into Beijing, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, or Kuala Lumpur). Maybe a good airline to target would be Cathay Pacific. They currently do cargo-only runs to Miami, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, but don't do passenger service to any of them (they do passenger service to Chicago, LA, NY, and SF). On the Asian side, they have hubs in Hong Kong, Taipei, and Bangkok. It's great to imagine the idea of Cathay making New Orleans a hub for Asian air-cargo and passengers into the South (I'm sure their airline alliance partners would never allow this, though).

On the European side, it might make sense to target Madrid (since IAH does not have non-stop service to the markets) or Rome (since IAH, DFW, and MIA don't have service - so you could target southern Continental and AA fliers).
Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, but New Orleans lacks the runway length for the types of heavy aircraft needed to make the trans-ocean distance. The current airport is basically landlocked, especially after the COA is done constructing the new floodwall along the west side. We'd basically need a new airport, or to wait until the technology exists for airplanes to need shorter runways.

Edit:
With enough money, I could see Kenner building an underpass for Airline Drive and Airport Access Road and maybe Veterans near the airport's runways, allowing for another 1500' in each direction. That is if Homeland Security will allow for a public road underneath a runway - something I haven't seen post 9/11.

Last edited by Blitzen; Oct 31, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations