HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:28 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Your City's Most Influential/Infamous Decades or Eras

Every city has had a time that was historically significant in national and/or global history. Whether it was a good time or a bad time, these eras add to the cultural fabric of each city.

For instance, NYC in the 70s was a time of rising crime, grittiness, unique pop art by Andy Warhol and others, and population decline due to the deindustrialization, white flight, and other issues affecting other American cities at the time. Though it was the city's lowest point, it was when Hip Hop was born, the World Trade Center built, and John Lennon was still alive.

1970s New York Sixth Ave traffic by Brian smith, on Flickr

Welcome to the good old days. Daily life in a post industrial world toward the Lower Manhattan skyline which included the World Trade Center. Jersey City. April 1975 by Andy Blair, on Flickr

BUILDINGS IN THE BRONX by Manel Armengol / Archivo, on Flickr

Can You Dig It? by darklorddisco, on Flickr

Bergdorf Goodman... April 1979 by Shilpot, on Flickr

Central Park Water Fountain, By the Boat House, New York, NY by M. Chaussettes, on Flickr

Times Square 1970s - 42nd Street by Christian Montone, on Flickr

dondi_002 by Zomboider, on Flickr

Anyone is free to mention anything more about 70s NYC or present another city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:42 AM
if I sang out of tune

For London most influential and most infamous was the late 19th Century. A city of 6.6 million wreathed in fog propelled by industry and distant colonial
workforces (read India: the former world's largest GDP and industrial giant, transformed into a massive raw commodities mine).

https://s3.favim.com,www.culture24.org.uk

https://upload.wikimedia.org

Traffic jams, huge immigrant districts:

https://utopiography.files.wordpress.com, http://i.dailymail.co.uk

Actors on stage

www.vam.ac.uk

https://heritagecalling.files.wordpress.com

http://arthistoryunstuffed.com

http://gb.fotolibra.com, http://media.immediate.co.uk

http://www.edp24.co.uk

Last edited by muppet; Feb 27, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:08 PM

Chicago's was definitely Prohibition in the 1920s. The city is still associated in the popular imagination with gangsters and bootlegging.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:16 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Beijing in the early 19th Century, the world's largest pre-industrial city, and capital to 37% of the global population. It was a segregated city ruled by class and ethnicity,
with the Han Chinese as subjugated underclasses.
Yellow roofs indicate the smaller palaces of princes, using the banned colour reserved only for royalty.

www.traveltrilogy.com

From medieval times it remained more or less in this form right until the 1600s, when the city was divided between the Imperial City and Inner City/ Tatar City in the north made up
of thousands of villas and 3,000 temples and palaces reserved for the peoples of the Steppe. These were the ruling Manchurians (who invaded China and founded the Qing Dynasty),
and the Tibetan, Mongol and Xinjianger elite. 28 large temple complexes sat inside the Imperial City, making Beijing a major pilgrimage site for a panoply of religions.

The Chinese lived south of the wall in the Outer City - a vast Chinatown-in-China where all the shopping, theatre,
entertainment and sex districts lay, and where the elite, bored of their grace, would visit en masse, and in disguise.

http://arthistorypi.org

/www.wurlington-bros.com

Manchurian gentry. Men and women shaved their heads, stained their teeth black and had facial tattoos, remnant from their tribal days, though that
later fell away after sinicisation. They smoked from the age of 5. Clothing retained the form of the padded hunting cape and gown:

https://theheartthrills.files.wordpress.com, http://i.dailymail.co.uk

Manchu royalty- under new laws the women held the power, and the Emperor became a ceremonial position. Three women successively ruled the empire - note the hunting capes.

https://i.pinimg.com

The Steppe peoples also fashioned their tribal clothing into more urbane forms, though keeping their furs and totems through the centuries. Long sleeves hid spiked nail jewellery
indicating elite women never used their hands.

Tibetan upper class

Mongol upper classes

Last edited by muppet; Feb 3, 2018 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:21 PM
if I sang out of tune

The Winter Palace lay at the centre (aka the Forbidden City, made up of 980 buildings - the world's largest palace).

The Summer Palace, even larger at 820 acres (600 football fields), lay to the north in the world's largest gardens and over 1,000 buildings, but was sacked in 1860 by
Western troops. It was so large it took three days for two armies with 3,500 men to loot and burn.

SCROOOOOLLLL>>>>>>>>>

www.wikimedia.org

The New Summer Palace at a new site, was also heavily damaged by Western troops again in 1900. 'Only' 160 buildings remain.

www.wikimedia.org

The city was bounded by the world's largest ever city walls, 50-60ft tall, and 66ft thick, once considered the 8th wonder of the world, with its castle sized gates and
watchtowers. The outer walls alone (there were concentric rings inside between the Tatar, Chinese, Imperial and Forbidden Cities) measured over 60km.

www.oldbookillustrations.com

Only a few gates and corner watchtowers survive.

www.wikimedia.org

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:34 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

probably the period between 1890 and 1910, st. louis was at its most influential, with the worlds fair, olympics, etc. this was the period where the city was pulling ahead of boston and before the eastern great lakes cities caught up. the 1930s dealt a hard blow to the city, that was built on 19th century industry and commercial connections. smog became extraordinarily bad, not unlike london, and the newer flashy cities like detroit appeared to be rendering the old line of interior cities obsolete.

https://mogreenstats.files.wordpress.com

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:43 PM
Paradise Island

For Minneapolis it was the '80s - Prince and punk rock. Hennepin Avenue downtown was an open air carnival of sin. The cities I had grown up around were NYC, Chicago, Boston and Washington. I was actually kind of shocked when I visited Minneapolis for the first time in 1985. It was the weirdest place per capita that I had ever been to. It was the cities' Portland moment.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

for chicago, it was 1985 because Ditka.

source: http://www.laughroulette.com/4663/mi...ping-the-bird/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
For Minneapolis it was the '80s - Prince and punk rock. Hennepin Avenue downtown was an open air carnival of sin. The cities I had grown up around were NYC, Chicago, Boston and Washington. I was actually kind of shocked when I visited Minneapolis for the first time in 1985. It was the weirdest place per capita that I had ever been to. It was the cities' Portland moment.
that's really interesting. i'm trying to square that with minneapolis national reputation, etc, and it just seems like the city has been perennially underrated/under appreciated on the national stage. minneapolis started the decade appreciably larger than seattle.

portland was kind of slumped over on a bench at that time, from people that i know who grew up in seattle in the 70s/80s.

it was also probably a time before smaller cities began really having their moment (in the national spotlight), after the largest cities started really gentrifying in the classic bohème spots.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
for chicago, it was 1985 because Ditka.
For Chicago I was thinking 1943.

A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Asheville had an era of grace that began when the railroad arrived in the 1880's. As soon as people could easily get here we exploded into prominence as a tourist destination, then as a health resort for tuberculosis patients, and once that medical infrastructure was in place, we then became a prime location for insane asylums. Lots of people with lots of money were passing through and spending their summers with us, and those insane asylums were a preferred place for those wealthy families to dispose of troublesome relatives.

Fun fact: Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of F. Scott, ended up incarcerated in one of those mental facilities, burned to death there in 1948, and today the Asheville Art Museum owns a collection of paintings she completed during her time there.

By 1889, prominent people were summering in Asheville, some as prominent as George Vanderbilt whose mansion, still the biggest in America, was completed in 1895. After that, all the artists and architects who worked on that mansion were set loose on the city. Meanwhile, Vanderbilt's prominent friends came for interminable visits and they told their friends who told their friends who told their friends... By the 1920's we were a resort city where everyone who was anyone was coming to spend their time. In that decade alone, 65 new buildings, most of them Art Deco, went up and there were plans for new parks, new neighborhoods, new boulevards and parkways, and a subway system. A lot of it got built and a lot of it didn't.

One of the luminaries who came here to party amid all that construction was F. Scott Fitzgerald, who noted in The Great Gatsby that narrator Nick Carraway recognized Jordan Baker from "pictures of the sporting life at Asheville and Hot Springs and Palm Beach."

The Fitzgeralds were friends of Asheville's homegrown author Thomas Wolfe, who had a lot to say about Asheville in its heyday. In 1921 he wrote:

Quote:
There’s a good play in Asheville, a play of a town which never had the ordinary, healthy, industrial life a town ought to have but instead dressed itself up in fine streets and stuck hotels in its hair in order to vamp the tourist populace. There’s a good play in the boy who lets the town vamp him, who sees the rich tourists and their mode of life and thinks he must live that way …
In 1924 he wrote:

Quote:
Look around you in Asheville. Are the most prominent there the finest — by education, personality, culture, and general character? By no means. After all, haven’t you all worshipped the long bankroll too much? Grove is a great man because he sells more pills than anyone else …
In 1934, looking back on the 20's, Wolfe wrote of Asheville:

Quote:
The streets were foaming with a mad exuberant life, crowded with strange expensive traffic, with a thousand points of glittering machinery, winking and blazing imperially in the hot bright air, filled with new faces. … Their feet swarmed and scampered on the pavements, their bodies darted, dodged, thrust, and twisted as if the leaping energy of some powerful drug was driving them on … the incredible spectacle of an entire population which was drunk — drunk on the same powerful liquors, drunk with an intoxication which never wore off and which never made them weary, dead, or sodden, but which drove them on constantly to new heights of leaping and scampering exuberance. … The conversation was terrific and incessant — a tumult of voices united in variations of a single chorus: speculation and real estate.
And of Asheville's nadir in 1938, he wrote:

Quote:
The ruined town! The new and splendid buildings, emptied even of the personnel they were to house …
With the onset of the Depression, Asheville incurred the highest per capita debt of any city in the country, and that debt was not paid off until 1976. That's part of why our central city remained so well-preserved, as there simply was no money to engage in urban renewal on the same scale as so many other places. Part of Asheville's mystique is the way in which its fall from grace mirrored that of the power couple of the Jazz Age, the Fitzgeralds. F. Scott felt his genius falling away and came here to try to write and save himself. An article about Fitzgerald notes instead...

Quote:
Swathed in an alcoholic haze, Fitzgerald turned 40 at Grove Park, broke his shoulder in a bad dive, slipped in the bathroom and was found on the floor the next morning. Hoping to elevate his reputation, he let a New York Post reporter pay a visit.

The newspaperman portrayed him as a lost soul of the Jazz Age, Railsback says. He was depicted as a "very broken man, who's physically feeble and mentally very pathetic and reaching to the highboy to have a drink — with a nurse on hand to watch him constantly because he had fired off a gun here in the hotel that same summer in '36."
While Zelda, glamorous flapper and "it" girl of the 20's is remembered thusly:

Quote:
In Nancy Milford’s exhaustive biography, Zelda, Landon Ray, once Highland Hospital’s athletic director, recounts one of his last memories of Zelda. As they hiked together across Sunset Mountain near the Grove Park Inn in a light spring rain, “She had no complaints about her own discomfort. Once we made camp, the first thing we did was to build a fire. Zelda went for wood and I remember stopping … and just watching her going through the deep laurel and wet briar selecting the best pieces for kindling.” As Milford put it, “That vignette formed his final memory of Zelda — a disheveled and middle-aged woman bending in the dim light and rain, alone and searching for wood.”
With the onset of World War II, things in Asheville got especially grim. Most of the grand hotels were confiscated by the federal government and were turned into prisons. One, the Kenilworth Inn, was turned into a prison, became a mental hospital after the war, and was converted into luxury apartments about a decade ago.

Here's another fun fact. Most of the hospitals, sanitariums and asylums are still standing, and have been turned into apartment buildings.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Feb 2, 2018 at 4:26 PM.

Pittsburgh 1890-1910 -- arguably the wealthiest city in the world

Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
that's really interesting. i'm trying to square that with minneapolis national reputation, etc, and it just seems like the city has been perennially underrated/under appreciated on the national stage. minneapolis started the decade appreciably larger than seattle.

portland was kind of slumped over on a bench at that time, from people that i know who grew up in seattle in the 70s/80s.

it was also probably a time before smaller cities began really having their moment (in the national spotlight), after the largest cities started really gentrifying in the classic bohème spots.
Part of it was that Minneapolis was weird during the Reagan years back when the rest of America wanted to be super normal. The internet didn't exist yet and mass media was on the coasts so most of the country didn't know what was going on here, and even if they did, it wasn't something they wanted. It was a magnet for punk rock kids nationwide but other than that it didn't really register on anyone else's radar.

Last edited by Chef; Feb 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Pittsburgh 1890-1910 -- arguably the wealthiest city in the world
top 10 metro areas in US in 1890

1. New York
2. Philadelphia
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. St. Louis
6. Baltimore
7. Pittsburgh
8. Cincinnati
9. Minneapolis
10. San Francisco

a takeaway is that the river cities ruled the interior...and i mean almost the entire settled interior, with the sole exception of chicago of course. it's when all the largest of the giant mansions really started going up, at least in (and around) st. louis (i have seen neighborhoods in cincinnati with mansions that look identical and i imagine pittsburgh is the same). the 1880s should be looped into that period of extreme wealth as well.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:14 PM

In many ways Phoenix ain't got no history. But I would argue the most consequential decade was probably the 1950s. A lot of this information comes from this article from John Talton's series on Phoenix, so if you want to read about it from the horse's mouth you can skip to the article.

In 1950, Phoenix had just cracked the top 100 cities in the US, with a population of 106,000, and total area of just 17 square miles. By 1960, Phoenix had grown an insane 311% to 439,000, over 187 square miles. Even crazier to note is that most of that growth took place in just the 5 years from 1955 to 1960.

For better or for worse, the city set its suburban course in the decade, spreading over all those newly incorporated square miles with single family homes.

But the 1950s are interesting to look back to because Phoenix still had a lot of the small town, agricultural aspects of its previous decades. In 1956, for instance, Camelback mountain was still surrounded by farm land:

The 1950s also saw the rise of Barry Goldwater in Arizona, who is probably up there with Sandra Day O'Connor and John McCain for our most enduring political figures. Arizona was a Democrat-dominated state prior to the 1950s--Goldwater was only the second Republican senator ever from Arizona.

Other notable events: ASU became a four year university; the Cubs came to Mesa and the Cactus League blossomed. By the end of the decade, Phoenix was the leading city in the Southwest.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal owned the 60s. The last decade when Montreal was indisputably the biggest, most important city in Canada. The decade of Expo '67, when Montreal welcomed the world. The decade when the Montreal Metro opened, when the Ville Marie Expressway was tunneled under the city, when the Pont Champlain and Tunnel Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine were built. The decade of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's bed-in at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel (Give Peace a Chance). The first ML baseball team outside the United States (Montreal Expos). Vive Le Quebec Libre (Charles de Gaulle), the terrorism of the Front de libération du Québec (FLQ), and the rise of the Quebec Independence Movement. The decade that Montreal became a global city.

1960:

1969:

c/o Ville de Montreal Archives

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ fun fact: in the early 60s, montreal had 3 of the 5 tallest buildings (by roof height) in the entire freaking world, outside of NYC!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
For Chicago I was thinking 1943.
I was thinking the 90s with Michael Jordan, and all of Dennis Rodman's party antics

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal owned the 60s. The last decade when Montreal was indisputably the biggest, most important city in Canada. The decade of Expo '67. Habitat. The decade that MLB expanded outside of the United States (Montreal Expos). The decade of the Montreal Metro, The tunnelling of the Ville Marie Expressway. The rise of Quebec independence movement. The opening of what was then the world's largest building (Place Bonaventure). The decade that Montreal became a global city.

1960:

1970:

c/o Ville de Montreal Archives

Greater Montreal Population
1956 1,745,001 +13.4%
1961 2,110,679 +21.0%
1966 2,570,985 +21.8%
1971 2,743,208 +6.7%

(2016 4,098,927)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I was thinking the 90s with Michael Jordan, and all of Dennis Rodman's party antics
Yes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions