HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Some photos:

That's a nice wide sidewalk. Much better than before.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=SaskScraper;8313790]From Donuts to Gyms...

"Me and my husband have been looking for a gym and I was wondering what's SSPers favourite gyms in the Country. What do you feel is the best deal, taking into consideration, cost per month, membership fees, not having to pay for womens'-only-area gyms, location/locations else where to use when on vacation or traveling between residences etc."

I travel alot and am amazed at how many Anytime Fitness Centers I see. They seem to have over 4000 locations world wide.

https://www.anytimefitness.com/find-gym/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's a nice wide sidewalk. Much better than before.
The streetscaping for this area has been delayed for years. I think the current estimate is for work to begin on the rest of the street in 2020. The plan has been done for a while though so some redeveloped blocks have been overhauled in the same way that the rest of the street eventually will be.

I don't think the sidewalks and fixtures have changed much since the 1960's or earlier. Back then Spring Garden Road was far less developed. There are still trolley poles along the street.

There are around 850 residential units under construction in the Spring Garden Road area, so it's going to be busier in a few years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
originally posted by SaskScraper
from Donuts to Gyms...

Me and my husband have been looking for a gym and I was wondering what's SSPers favourite gyms in the Country. What do you feel is the best deal, taking into consideration, cost per month, membership fees, not having to pay for womens'-only-area gyms, location/locations else where to use when on vacation or traveling between residences etc.

One of the more popular gyms in the part of Saskatoon we live is Planet Fitness, there aren't many of their gyms in Canada, a vast majority of its gyms are in the USA were we travel to often. Planet Fitness gained a lot of popularity with being the gym used on 'The-Biggest-Loser' plus the gym has contributed a lot to anti-bullying campaigns & calling their gyms 'judgement-free-zones', allowing trans women to use women's locker room etc.

https://www.planetfitness.com/

Our most likely choice for gym in the neighbourhood is Snapfitness because they have lots of gyms in the UK & one close by to us in London as well.

https://www.snapfitness.com/
Quote:
originally posted by khabibulin

I travel alot and am amazed at how many Anytime Fitness Centers I see. They seem to have over 4000 locations world wide.

https://www.anytimefitness.com/find-gym/

Brilliant!
thanks for your suggestion, highly appreciate it khabibulin

I tried out the Anytime Fitness near my neighbour in Saskatoon last week & liked it, I'm going to check out the Anytime Fitness St Paul's (7day free trial) or the King Cross one in London later this week once I recover from jet leg.

wish me luck

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:29 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The streetscaping for this area has been delayed for years. I think the current estimate is for work to begin on the rest of the street in 2020. The plan has been done for a while though so some redeveloped blocks have been overhauled in the same way that the rest of the street eventually will be.

I don't think the sidewalks and fixtures have changed much since the 1960's or earlier. Back then Spring Garden Road was far less developed. There are still trolley poles along the street.

There are around 850 residential units under construction in the Spring Garden Road area, so it's going to be busier in a few years.
Is it possible to widen the sidewalk that much along the length of Spring Garden Road? Even the area around Park Lane likely couldn't accommodate a wide sidewalk like exists now in front of this new building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:13 AM

American Apparel returning to Canada with online store

Revived retailer will sell basics, like hoodies and legging, with less provocative advertising

The Canadian Press · Posted: Oct 29, 2018

American Apparel will return to the Canadian market with an online store on Nov. 1., a year after its bankruptcy and closure.

This time the brand will be Canadian-owned and, for now, won't have any physical stores in the country, said American Apparel's brand marketing director Sabina Weber, who indicated the company was taking a careful approach to its relaunch as it measured how its customers have changed.

Montreal's Gildan Activewear won an auction for the company after it went into bankruptcy and now is testing the market for its line of popular unisex hoodies, bodysuits, tights and leggings.

"It is kind of like putting yourself back out in the dating world. You don't know if someone will be interested or not," Weber said. "We know Canada is a huge market for us. They have always been so supportive of the brand."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ame...xYJFLg-LNS0TcU

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gildan - every cheap t-shirt I have in my drawer (office promos, giveaways, fundraisers, etc.) comes from them!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gildan - every cheap t-shirt I have in my drawer (office promos, giveaways, fundraisers, etc.) comes from them!
They sell their undershirts at Dollarama now! I bought a 2-pack, not bad... you certainly won't do better for $4.

I suspect they will do a little better with the American Apparel product, though. But that said, I wonder if the AA brand isn't passé these days... it was a big deal 15 years ago, but I'm sure the kids have long since moved on to other things.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:34 PM
sick transit, gloria

American Apparel tshirts were always my go-tos for any undershirt or just plain shirt to wear around the house / yard. Always found they fit me better than any other brand and seemed very durable. Also liked their zip-up hoodies, and still wear some occasionally that must be close to 10 years old at this point.

I found them a much more marketable company when trying to keep things simple - things started going off the rails when they expanded their lines to more complicated garments. The management didn't help, of course.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
American Apparel tshirts were always my go-tos for any undershirt or just plain shirt to wear around the house / yard. Always found they fit me better than any other brand and seemed very durable. Also liked their zip-up hoodies, and still wear some occasionally that must be close to 10 years old at this point.
I remember going into an American Apparel store in Vancouver and if I remember correctly the waist sizes on their jeans ranged from 31" down to 23". Pretty sure I wasn't in the kids' section...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:16 PM

A new Food Hall coming to Ottawa. The 9,000 square feet space, called "Queen St Fare", will open in the SunLife Centre in downtown Ottawa. The complex is directly connected to the Parliament/Parlement subway station.

The concept is basically a food court with licensed high end local restaurateurs that features a stage for live performances . The Food Hall will be continue to operate after 5 p.m. as an after hours venue, which is quite rare in Ottawa's central business district outside of Sparks Street.

These kinds of Food Halls are apparently quite popular in major U.S. urban centres. When it opens on December 7nd, it will be the second of its kind in Canada after Campo in Toronto.

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/ottawa...awa-next-month

https://twitter.com/chrisrands/statu...98668681809922

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

LL Bean apparently plans to open 20 bricks & mortar retail locations in Canada within the next decade.

As usual, I'm sure almost all of these stores will be located in the top 9-10 urban areas in the country, but, given the historical ties between the Maritimes and Maine, and the loyal customer base for LL Bean in the Maritimes, I wonder if 1-2 of these physical locations might actually come east.......

Bass Pro Shops has stores in Moncton and Halifax, with only about 20 locations nationwide, so it is possible..........

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
LL Bean apparently plans to open 20 bricks & mortar retail locations in Canada within the next decade.

As usual, I'm sure almost all of these stores will be located in the top 9-10 urban areas in the country, but, given the historical ties between the Maritimes and Maine, and the loyal customer base for LL Bean in the Maritimes, I wonder if 1-2 of these physical locations might actually come east.......

Bass Pro Shops has stores in Moncton and Halifax, with only about 20 locations nationwide, so it is possible..........
Did I see something about them possibly putting these locations inside existing retailers?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I thought they were to be standalone, but I may be wrong. The first location (not surprisingly) will be in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Did I see something about them possibly putting these locations inside existing retailers?
I just checked. There is a good article on this in the Financial Post.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...to-boost-sales

In the short term, they plan on offering LL Bean product in about 28 partnering retail stores but within the next 10 years they plan on opening 20 standalone stores.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 6:57 PM

speaking of LL Bean, this was shot in Vancouver. I used to get the LL Bean and the Lands End Catalogues in the 90s. I preferred Lands End though. Sears used to have some partnership with Lands End that lasted a few years. Will be nice to have LL Bean in Canada.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 8:38 PM

Is it likely that LL Bean just ends up in Hudson's Bay? Not sure who else they partner with to spread across 20+ locations. Quite obvious it will be The Bay to take it on IMO.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 8:53 PM

the retail insider mention Hudsons Bay, The Sporting Life and MEC.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...on-into-canada

Joop! is also expanding into Canada

German Fashion Brand ‘JOOP!’ Expands into Canada

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ds-into-canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 12:19 AM

Lowe's closing 31 locations in Canada, mainly Rona stores

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/low...ures-1.4892055

Really bad for Sault Ste Marie, ON because the city is losing both its Lowe's and RONA stores! You think the company would have closed the RONA first.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:16 PM

Canada Goose Opens Large Montreal Flagship Amid Protests [Photos]

Retail Insider

By Craig Patterson

Toronto-based fashion brand Canada Goose, known particularly for its outerwear, has opened its largest store in Canada to date in downtown Montreal. The standalone 8,000 square foot store, located at 1020 Ste-Catherine Street West, saw protests over the weekend from animal rights activists.

The store is Canada Goose’s largest to date in this country, and is located in a former HMV location at the southeast corner of Ste-Catherine West and Peel Street. It features a ‘cold room’ where visitors can test parkas in temperatures as low as -25 degrees Celsius.

The beautiful looking store features curated artwork throughout, including polar bear sculptures from Canadian artist Jason Carter. The overall feel is contemporary and luxurious — white marble is used throughout including a solid stone cash desk, contrasting with dark accents and wood trim. A glass display case in the store contains the brands first coat design, the ‘Langford parka’ in a VIP seating area.

The new Montreal store is the company’s 11th globally, and its fourth in Canada. Canada Goose’s first store in the world opened at Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre in October of 2016, spanning about 4,500 square feet. A second Canadian store opened in Calgary, measuring about 4,000 square feet, in the fall of 2017. Earlier this month, Canada Goose opened a 4,018 square foot store at CF Pacific Centre in Vancouver.

Canada Goose also operates international stores in New York City, Chicago, Boston, London UK, Tokyo, Short Hills NJ, and most recently in Hong Kong. The goal is to operate 20 locations internationally by the year 2020.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada