HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And for what it’s worth, the route numbers should be the Coquihalla as the #1, and the #1 from Hope through the canyons to Kamloops becoming the 7.
I believe that the Trans Canada Highway gets at least some federal dollars for maintenance, so that's something that would have to be worked out with the feds.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:03 PM
Peddling to progress

I think what this whole argument about highway numbering comes down to, is whether the 7 is (or can be, or should become) a viable alternative to the TCH from the Tri-Cities through Hope.

After Hope the 1, 3, and 5 all serve slightly different routes but can also act as redundancies for each other. But I think it's worth asking if sinking 10s of billions into the TCH is the best option, when maybe the government should look into bringing the 7 up to freeway standards. The valley traffic would still choose the 1, but if an upgraded 7 could pull mountain-bound traffic away (After all, the trip from Brunette Ave to Hope is 1 km shorter on the 7 compared to the 1, and could be even shorter if some curves are straightened out and city centre bypasses were built.) that would help a lot with congestion on the narrowest parts of the TCH.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Going to not pick this, the number one splits into 2 (5 and 3) and the 7 continues as the 1 into the canyon.

So technically you do also have the 7 which has the same capacity as the #1.

Honestly the #7 is a decent drive if you want to avoid the #1.
Ignore #7. Hwy 1 splits into 1, 3, and 5. Arguably 5 replaced 1, but they all get traffic.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:26 PM

Updating the #7 to a full freeway from the Cape Horn to Hope would be a great alternative, but way too expensive.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 5:26 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:02 AM
Dahvie Fan

I wonder when they will replace the overpass at 192

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:41 AM

Quote:
But in reverse not all traffic coming from the 3 and 5 goes to the Lower Mainland via the #1. Many times myself, and people I know, would come off the 3, got to Hope, and use the 7. It’s especially useful if you live in Mission, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, and to some extent the Tri-Cities.

Point remains, the #1 isn’t the only route east to the Mountains. The #7 has the same capacity as the #1 does through the canyon.

And for what it’s worth, the route numbers should be the Coquihalla as the #1, and the #1 from Hope through the canyons to Kamloops becoming the 7.

The 5A through Nicola Valley can just be returned to the 5.
What's traffic like on Hwy 7 east of Mission? Is it heavy enough to warrant twinning?

I would agree that Hwy 1 should follow the Coquhalla and Hwy 7 should go through the Fraser Canyon, though I would argue that the '7' designation should continue north on Hwy 97 to Prince George and points beyond. I think more traffic heading south from the Cariboo would continue through the Fraser Canyon than head to Kamloops and the Okanagan. Create a true intraprovincial north-south highway from its largest metro area.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 8:31 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
What's traffic like on Hwy 7 east of Mission? Is it heavy enough to warrant twinning?

I would agree that Hwy 1 should follow the Coquhalla and Hwy 7 should go through the Fraser Canyon, though I would argue that the '7' designation should continue north on Hwy 97 to Prince George and points beyond. I think more traffic heading south from the Cariboo would continue through the Fraser Canyon than head to Kamloops and the Okanagan. Create a true intraprovincial north-south highway from its largest metro area.
Not really. It's the 7 is pretty quiet unless there's a reason for cars to divert on to it. It would be nice to have a second option though.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Not really. It's the 7 is pretty quiet unless there's a reason for cars to divert on to it. It would be nice to have a second option though.
The only time I had any delays east of Mission was when they had temporarily closed the highway to land a medivac helicopter just west of Aggasiz. Other than that it's usually pretty benign. Even more so east of Aggasiz.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
The only time I had any delays east of Mission was when they had temporarily closed the highway to land a medivac helicopter just west of Aggasiz. Other than that it's usually pretty benign. Even more so east of Aggasiz.
The only time I took 7 going eastbound (on the advice of my aunt who lived in Hope, she said to take 7 because of TMX construction delays on 1) I got delayed behind a farm tractor just before Aggasiz.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 9:44 PM

Other than the Glover Road Underpass, they are sure taking there sweet time to start working on this project. I recently drove East on Hwy 1 to 264th, and absolutely nothing was done.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Other than the Glover Road Underpass, they are sure taking there sweet time to start working on this project. I recently drove East on Hwy 1 to 264th, and absolutely nothing was done.
That's the schedule, construction on the 232 interchange and highway widening is due to start this year. Likely they wanted Glover in service before partially (fully?) closing 232.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure