HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
What switches will they uses to reverse the trains? Gateway and then single track? or use both gateway switches to double single track and use both platforms. I assume they won't be using the King Goerge station switch as that's in the zone they are working on.
They're using both Surrey Central platforms so both Gateway switches I assume?

Also this Saturday

Quote:
Waterfront Station Switch Machine Replacement
After decades of service, the switch machines at Waterfront Station will be upgraded to ensure smoother operations and faster turnarounds. The new model will allow trains to change tracks faster, helping us make up for lost time on trips.

On Saturday, March 30 2024, Expo Line trains will operate on a single track between Stadium—Chinatown and Waterfront, allowing our crew to efficiently complete the replacement process.

There will be reduced service levels along the Expo Line on this day, mainly affecting downtown Vancouver stations. Customers travelling through downtown Vancouver should build in an additional 20 minutes for travel on this day.

Details
Expo Line trains travelling through downtown Vancouver will run approximately every 8-15 minutes, instead of the regular schedule of every 3-4 minutes. Some trains will terminate at Stadium—Chinatown, Granville, or Burrard instead of Waterfront as they usually do.

Customers may need to switch trains downtown to reach Waterfront. Customers are encouraged to board the first available train and transfer at Stadium—Chinatown Station, if necessary, to complete their journey. Stadium—Chinatown Station will have the most service of any downtown Expo Line station.

Trains between Stadium—Chinatown and Waterfront will operate in both directions from Platform 2. Platform 1 at these stations will be closed on this day.

Customers travelling to or from King George can take a single train to reach Waterfront Station. Customers travelling to or from Production Way—University will not be able to take a single train to Waterfront Station and will have to transfer trains to complete their trip.

Trains may be held at platforms or outside stations for longer intervals during the work period.

SkyTrain Attendants will be present at impacted stations to guide customers.

Regular service will resume when operations reopen on Sunday, 31 March 2024.

There will be no change in service on the Canada Line and Millennium Line.
https://www.translink.ca/plans-and-p.../rail-projects

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 9:16 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I assume there is also a lot of work at King George to provision it for the extension since it's been acting as a terminus station for 30 years.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I assume there is also a lot of work at King George to provision it for the extension since it's been acting as a terminus station for 30 years.
Have they announced who will build that extension yet? It's too bad that couldn't be combined with whatever this is.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:36 AM

The job at King George is part of an ongoing project to replace track switches in high use locations on the Expo Line, it has nothing to do with the SLS project.

This job at Waterfront is different, only the switch machines are being replaced, I believe this is being done along the entire Expo Line.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 6:42 PM

A blurb I found interesting on the Buzzer Blog - 7 Big Moves from TransLink's annual report

Quote:
Accelerating TransLink’s real estate program

Housing affordability is one of the biggest challenges in the region. That’s why we’re doing our part to help increase the supply of housing. TransLink’s Board of Directors and the Mayors’ Council endorsed the pursuit of development around our real estate assets and transit service areas.

In 2023, we partnered with PCI to advance a mixed-use development proposal at the terminus of the Broadway Subway line at Broadway–Arbutus. We also took steps to initiate rezoning of the former North Vancouver Transit Centre at 3rd and St. Davids Avenue to deliver a mixed-use housing project. And finally, TransLink started master planning of property at Coquitlam Central Station to deliver a transit-oriented community in the future.
I've heard about some of that before but the Coquitlam one was news to me. There's a lot of surface parking there and I look forward to seeing what they propose.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 2:10 PM

Is it just gonna be confined around a radius of each skytrain station or are they gonna do alone the entire FTN eventually?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 3:45 PM

The provincial rules are just for Skytrain stations and bus exchanges.

https://www.ubcm.ca/about-ubcm/lates...nt-legislation

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:27 PM

Apparently Phibbs Exchange will be fully reopened next week.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Apparently Phibbs Exchange will be fully reopened next week.
Now it's ready for the Purple Line to be built through it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 10:50 PM

"Please be advised that the newly renovated Phibbs Exchange is expected to be fully open on approximately April 11th."

https://www.translink.ca/alerts

North Shore buses through Phibbs will start picking up and dropping off at all their stops through Vancouver starting the 15th.

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-a...ervice-changes

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:00 AM

I spotted Mk V train 6011-6025 at OMC3 in Coquitlam this afternoon. I hope it's there tomorrow too, I'll be waiting with my camera ready as I pass by.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:23 AM

Are there any pictures of commercial broadway from the past showing the evolution of the station?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I spotted Mk V train 6011-6025 at OMC3 in Coquitlam this afternoon. I hope it's there tomorrow too, I'll be waiting with my camera ready as I pass by.
Saw the same set at Edmonds OMC this evening

photo by me

Last edited by greenturnedblue; Apr 11, 2024 at 7:46 PM. Reason: image credit

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenturnedblue View Post
Saw the same set at Edmonds OMC this evening
Nice photo. Evidently I was not able to capture it the next day, I haven't seen it since.

You can see that the operable windows have a different design to the Mark III trains. One is open in the window closest to the front of the train.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:25 AM

Great to see confirmation it's been out on the main track. Would love to see those new front marker lights when they're running at night.

Also just a reminder to credit all pictures, even your own.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:39 PM

As per the photo suggests, I think we may be the only mass rapid system in the world to use a first generation train (Mark I) all the way to the 5th generation train sets concurrently along the same routes. Taking the train at Expo line is like experiencing a historical transit journey of the past 45 years.

When Mark I sets were first making their inaugural runs, the then Prince Charles was still with Princess D, and both Q.E. and Queen Mother were still alive and relatively young.
Quote:
That time Princess Diana visited Vancouver and rode SkyTrain (PHOTOS, VIDEOS)
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/prin...ouver-skytrain
Even Toronto has recently gotten rid of their Bombardier Mark 1-only Line 3 at Scarborough.

Last edited by Vin; Apr 11, 2024 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Great to see confirmation it's been out on the main track. Would love to see those new front marker lights when they're running at night.

Also just a reminder to credit all pictures, even your own.
Not quite at night, but I also got a pic of the front marker lights. Im sure they will look great at night

Image by me

Last edited by greenturnedblue; Apr 11, 2024 at 7:54 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:43 PM

SkyTrain:

Seems a bit odd how Alstom has Vancouver listed as an Alstom Metropolis project.
https://www.alstom.com/solutions/rol...city-breathing

Moreover, INNOVIA looks to be reclassified as a poeple mover and monorail sub-brand.
https://www.alstom.com/solutions/rol...irport-transit

Innovia Metro: 1985-circa 2021?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
"Please be advised that the newly renovated Phibbs Exchange is expected to be fully open on approximately April 11th."

https://www.translink.ca/alerts

North Shore buses through Phibbs will start picking up and dropping off at all their stops through Vancouver starting the 15th.

https://www.translink.ca/schedules-a...ervice-changes
Alert now says it will be fully open "late April", but also says it's "effective April 11th".

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
SkyTrain:

Seems a bit odd how Alstom has Vancouver listed as an Alstom Metropolis project.
https://www.alstom.com/solutions/rol...city-breathing

Moreover, INNOVIA looks to be reclassified as a poeple mover and monorail sub-brand.
https://www.alstom.com/solutions/rol...irport-transit

Innovia Metro: 1985-circa 2021?
I don’t see that as Alston killing the system, just a rebranding to lump it in with all metro systems. They even show the trains in their promotional video on that page.

Bombardier rebranded to Innovia Metro in 2010 to group with their other fully automated Innovia systems, people movers and monorails. They had previously called the system ART following their acquisition of the system in 1992 while the ICTS name dates back from early development in the early 70s.

Last edited by madog222; Apr 12, 2024 at 12:20 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure