HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I like to think of unlabelled pix as a puzzel to be figured out. It certainly doesnt bug me. Besides, I have spent a large portion of my time making the diagrams for pretty much all of the tall buildings in Toronto and while doing so I have looked at line drawings, close-ups, etc... and I often recognize even small portions of these buildings. Cal can do as he likes.
I share your sentiment Koops. I very much enjoy trying to figure out what and where towers are based on only one or two pieces of information. Scouring the diagram section or Google images, combing through a city on Bing Maps aerials or even reading through a city's skyline photo thread on SSC or SSP... it's all part of the fun of discovering new towers and the context in which they stand. I can't measure how much I've learned about various cities and the composition of their skylines by tower hunting in that fashion. The first time I visited Manhatten in my adult life, I didn't even need a map because I had already spent countless hours looking at photos of the city trying to figure out what and where every major tower was. I enjoy doing that because I love skyscrapers and skylines, and I think that's what Cal was referring to when he said that loving this hobby doesn't mean always needing detailed specifications of every single project. Part of the fun is figuring it out yourself. And if you're too busy or lazy to figure it out yourself, you can always ask.

Last edited by Ramako; Dec 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:20 PM
gettin' rich!

or you can go to the construction forum, where I keep a detail database of my pictures.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:27 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
What. The. Fuck.

Who the hell do you think you are?

I'll admit that I'm often annoyed by Cal's "smack-talk," frequent use of hyperbole or proclivity to jump to wildly optimistic conclusions, but the fact is that Cal has absolutely no obligation to spend several hours a week of his time walking around Toronto taking photos and uploading them here for our benefit. He doesn't get paid and no one gives him anything more than a residue of thanks. He's taken it upon himself to take these photos and upload them onto this website because, as he said, he wants to share his passion with us, much in the same way you do when you share your beautiful renders.

But rather than appreciate his effort, you have the gall to call him lazy and selfish for not conforming to your criteria. "Lazy" and "selfish".... for walking around the city for hours on end taking photos for us to enjoy. What a sense of entitlement you have. I can only imagine that if someone bought you a paperback as a gift you'd throw it in their face and demand the hardcover instead. If you care so damn much about properly labelled photos, why don't you get off your own damn ass and post photos yourself?

You really are the most ego-centric, self-righteous and arrogantly sanctimonious person I've ever encountered on either UT or SSP, and that's saying a lot.

Cal, I wouldn't blame you for an instant if you simply chose to stop posting photos altogether. Fortunately for us, you don't seem so petty.
Despite everyone's penchant to defend inconsiderate behaviour, I always think of the up-and-coming skyscraper enthusiasts in Red Deer Alberta or East River Nova Scotia who get turned off by the constant Toronto-centric nature of certain forumer's posts. Those nascent contributors who would feel left out, because they are not in-the-know and not part of the big city.

I picture myself the same 9 year-old, desperate to understand the wonderful world of skyscrapers only to be ignored, discluded and eventually disillusioned because I am not deemed important enough to enlighten with other people's knowledge.

Noblesse Oblige is a tenet that instructs: "With great power, comes great responsibility."

Knowledge is that power at stake and with said knowledge comes a great responsibility to share it wisely. Indiscriminately withholding that knowledge is tantamount to elitism and class-ism. Being considerate of fellow humans, who may not possess the knowledge that you hold, is a common courtesy of civilization. We do not berate those for not already knowing something that we ourselves had at one point to learn.

Calling these people stupid or irrelevant for not already knowing the information speaks to the self-centered, ego-centric and elitist nature of the critic. While others may be concerned only with their own gratification at seeing the pretty pictures, I constantly think how others would perceive them and how better to disseminate the information in a thoughtful and inclusive manner.

Allowing a person special privileges of this nature, due to perceived value of their contribution is equivalent of a double standard afforded celebrities and the law. Ipso facto: they are famous therefore we should hold them to a different standard.

That irks my egalitarian nature and thus I spake forthrightly. I was not the one that initiated this most recent incarnation of this same dispute. It has been mentioned time and again by several forumers. I am only the one that magnified the attention to an already disputed action.

The arrogance may seem to be mine, but I assure you the arrogant nature of deliberately withholding data, because the readers are not worthy of the forumers time and effort, points squarely at said forumer.

I am a avid reader and contributor to SSP and only wish a fair and equal experience for everyone. That's who I think I am.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:01 PM

lol, the detail shot of the four rows of long-completed windows on the Ritz was indeed a bit outrageous, bordering on spam... just like multiple updates on Shangri-la within the course of several hours. This isn't an "art form" by any stretch of the imagination...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:03 PM

"Withholding information"? You're making it seem like he's not labeling his photos on purpose just to spite people and deny them knowledge and information.. which I am guessing is not the case at all, he just doesn't feel the need to label some of the more well known ones..
It's not like Cal is sitting as his computer saying "My plan is working, now 9 year olds from Red Deer will be discouraged and ignorant about developments and architecture! Muahahahahahaha!" (At least I don't think so, Cal will have to back me up on that one.

As for the Toronto-centric thing, it's not Cal's fault that the lists are dominated by projects in Toronto, and if other cities want representation then they should get somebody as dedicated to their city as Cal is to T.O and post updates of their projects! Nobody is stopping them..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:29 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
What. The. Fuck.

Who the hell do you think you are?
All this righteous indignation because he asked for something immensely useful to the whole of the forum that takes an extra 5 seconds to add.... really?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:48 PM
gettin' rich!

Well I'm halfway through my sunday photo tour of Toronto, and so far, I've taken some rainsoaked shots of Shangri La and Trump. Gonna take a teabreak for a bit while I update the construction progress at the Eaton Centre, then when I'm finished, I'm going to get a few shots of the completed crane at the Aura site, then when thats finished gonna catch some shot of Four Seasons and Yorkville.

Sneak in a few other random shots as well.. when I'm done I will grab Korean Grill eat well get fat, then head down to the ICE site for some fotos there as well.

Then I will upload the photos to their threads here and in the construction thread.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
All this righteous indignation because he asked for something immensely useful to the whole of the forum that takes an extra 5 seconds to add.... really?
The indignation was not because he asked for labels, but because he derided someone as being lazy and selfish for voluntarily walking around the city for several hours a week, often in the cold and rain, to take and upload photos for our benefit. O-Town Hockey asked for labels and got absolutely no indignation.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:00 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Well I'm halfway through my sunday photo tour of Toronto, and so far, I've taken some rainsoaked shots of Shangri La and Trump. Gonna take a teabreak for a bit while I update the construction progress at the Eaton Centre, then when I'm finished, I'm going to get a few shots of the completed crane at the Aura site, then when thats finished gonna catch some shot of Four Seasons and Yorkville.

Sneak in a few other random shots as well.. when I'm done I will grab Korean Grill eat well get fat, then head down to the ICE site for some fotos there as well.

Then I will upload the photos to their threads here and in the construction thread.
Seriously? Many of you readers think this is acceptable ????

For Cal to treat this forum like his personal twitter account and tweet his latest inane itinerary, but he is off the hook for all the trouble it takes to label a picture? This is the practice you are defending?

bulliver said it better than I and with waaaay fewer words.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:07 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
The indignation was not because he asked for labels, but because he derided someone as being lazy and selfish for voluntarily walking around the city for several hours a week, often in the cold and rain, to take and upload photos for our benefit. O-Town Hockey asked for labels and got absolutely no indignation.
Fair enough. Still, from my POV, as one who also walks around for hours taking construction update shots I always label them even though I full well realize 95% or more of the viewers know exactly what they are looking at. It is just courtesy...and takes zero additional effort.

That is all.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:12 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Although I read most of the posts on the "top whatever" threads, I do tend to skip over most of this smack talk, since it has nothing to do with skyscrapers... It all seems kind of childish to me. I concentrate on things here that interest me, and disregard the things that dont. The jibber-jabber about who is more polite, or who is more informed, or who is more lazy doesnt interest me, just like I don't spend much time checking out pix of the skyline of Iqaluit NWT, compared to pix of Toronto. The rest of you are also free to disregard portions of this site if they arent to your taste.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:29 PM
gettin' rich!

Hey Traynor, I just want you to know, I am a dying breed.. and when I dead You'll be sorry, cuz then there will be much few Skyscraper updates from Toronto. I am one of the last great Canadian Skyscraper Fotogs. Along with wittynicjname, bigtime, metro one, jimby, surrealplacrs. We luv skyscraper, we do are art for your enjoyment. You dont appriciate you just complain, be good and just chill.

ok?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:40 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Caltrane74

Hey Traynor, I just want you to know, I am a dying breed.. and when I dead You'll be sorry, cuz then there will be much few Skyscraper updates from Toronto. I am one of the last great Canadian Skyscraper Fotogs. Along with wittynicjname, bigtime, metro one, jimby, surrealplacrs. We luv skyscraper, we do are art for your enjoyment. You dont appriciate you just complain, be good and just chill.

ok?
OH DEAR GAWD!!! Are you serious with that?

You hold yourself is such high regard and esteem that you honestly believe that you are the last person to become enthusiastic enough to go out and take pictures?

No one in the future of time will take an interest in skyscrapers enough to pick up a digital camera and go out to take some pictures.

Do you hear this Steveve? You might as well give up now because no one in the history of photography will ever reach the level of one Caltrane74.

And people call me full-of-himself and self-righteous????

Cal seems to have a messianic complex in full development. It's like arguing with a mackerel.

I always loved the pictures and have said on numerous times that we all appreciate your effort, but you lack common courtesy. Now I am just embarrassed for your grandiose self-delusions.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:51 PM
gettin' rich!

my photos are the historical record of construction for these building on this site and on GOOGLE. Anyone looking for construction photos and video will find caltrane74. So much for labels..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:07 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I am one of the last great Canadian Skyscraper Fotogs. Along with wittynicjname, bigtime, metro one, jimby, surrealplacrs. We luv skyscraper, we do are art for your enjoyment.
I'm not going to lie, that hurts man...I guess you're not a real photog unless you live in Toronto or Calgary. Please enjoy in smilie form my five stages of grief:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
gettin' rich!

ooops.. sorry.

bulliver, steeltown, and flar too!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:37 PM

I took a walk today and ate some sushi. I think i'm going to put on a grey sweater. No, black. Gotta do the laundry, and feed the cat. More updates to come.

Oh, and an update by me:

from slightly different angle:

DA BOMB

will update in a few hours.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
Back to Basics

LMAO

Thanks for letting us know what you're wearing... Too bad I have no idea what I am looking at...

LOVE IT!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:47 PM

^ LOL

To be fair Cal the only reason why I don't update photos (other than not knowing how earlier), is because at the moment I don't live in the GTA, but as of January I'll be living at my home in the GTA and will get into downtown and taking pictures and whatnot. I am as much of an enthusiast as you guys even though I don't post updates and pictures..
Therefore skyscraper love will not die with you..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 10:49 PM
gettin' rich!

Hotel Georgia is off the hook.

Thanks for getting that detail we rarely see here except when I took pictures of the Ritz curtianwahl glass a few weeks ago.

Lol!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada