HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Global had a thing about it on Friday.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7330774/...using-problems
That meets Canadian highway engineering standards? lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That meets Canadian highway engineering standards? lol
exactly

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:16 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:35 AM

The liberal plan was 3 general purpose lanes, the NDP switched it to HOV. The NDP have also delayed the next phase of 3 lane expansion to 264th by around 3 years now, so theoretically the next phase would have been well under construction by now.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The liberal plan was 3 general purpose lanes, the NDP switched it to HOV. The NDP have also delayed the next phase of 3 lane expansion to 264th by around 3 years now, so theoretically the next phase would have been well under construction by now.
Why would they delay? Do you have evidence of this? I thought the 2nd phase was mostly Federal money anyway, which you'd think they would want to get spending ASAP.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Why would they delay? Do you have evidence of this? I thought the 2nd phase was mostly Federal money anyway, which you'd think they would want to get spending ASAP.
They were reviewing some of the highway projects and there was no federal money committed when the Liberals initially announced the widening project.

https://www.missioncityrecord.com/ne...y-project-mla/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:52 PM

The new lane merging makes no sense and you have to wonder who approved it. They need to repaint the leftmost lane to merge with the middle one and have the middle and right lane being the ones one merges to.

Merge lanes onto Highway 1 are ridiculous in most places and the real cause for daily congestion, not volume of cars. Willingdon onramp should be 500 meters longers and same for most onramps. Only westbound onramp from Brunette is what good looks like.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:36 AM

What if they were to merge the HOV lane over to the GP Left lane before the top of the hill. By installing temporary barriers in the HOV lane for the last portion.

Then after that the two remaining GP lanes just continue on as normal. A few meters up the road 216th would merge into the right lane as per a normal merge.

It would probably be the quickest and easiest and safest fix.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:33 AM

Anyone else notice the east bound HOV lane under the 216th overpass makes your tires sing?
Also, west bound around the 216th overpass, the pavements finish makes it seem like I have an unbalanced tire.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
What if they were to merge the HOV lane over to the GP Left lane before the top of the hill. By installing temporary barriers in the HOV lane for the last portion.

Then after that the two remaining GP lanes just continue on as normal. A few meters up the road 216th would merge into the right lane as per a normal merge.

It would probably be the quickest and easiest and safest fix.
I was wondering why do they have the right lane end very quick after the 216 st merge. Should it had been better if they had the HOV lane merge into the regular lanes?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasHui View Post
I was wondering why do they have the right lane end very quick after the 216 st merge. Should it had been better if they had the HOV lane merge into the regular lanes?
Yes. I guess they still haven't done anything with the lanes?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 12:33 AM
(daka_x)

To be fair the design would follow highway design guidelines in many other places. Of course a right-hand merge is also better than a left-hand one, and the previous left-hand merge east of 200th Street might have had safety issues of its own.

The problem here I think is the lack of understanding of local context. A lot of the people who are now exiting at 216th weren't necessarily the people who were continuing further to 232nd/Highway 10. The through traffic volume is thus the same west and east of 216th, and a lot of the through traffic is truck traffic, which is challenging to handle when there are high traffic volumes that warranted 3-4 lanes long ago already.

I think an even better (if somewhat impractical) solution would be to have drivers to make their lane changing decisions over a far longer distance - i.e. prior to reaching the 216th Street interchange. That is, the HOV lane is terminated earlier, and the rightmost lane approaching 216th becomes exit only. 216th onramp merges onto two eastbound lanes. The capacity is reduced, and that may pose challenges of its own, but by all means it would seem to be safer - esp. given it's a configuration that would only remain in place for a couple of years until widening is complete.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 5:28 AM

The whole problem is that this highway widening project ended in probably the worst spot. A few hundred meters farther east, or at 216th, having the right lane being exit only (Like XD_1771 said above), would have been much better.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 5:39 AM

i suspect a major issue with further expansion are the overpasses for glover and the rail line. they are underheight and would have to be replaced entirely if the expansion were to be extended further east

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 3:31 AM

A solution to a short and long term solution to reduce congestion at the HOV lane merging into general traffic purpose lanes and what they did is to have better sufficient merge signs ahead of time. An example is that they added the merge ending sign just before passing the 216 street interchange overpass and perhaps saying lane ends in 1000 metres/1km.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 8:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 11:44 PM
SkyTrain Nut

I would be curious to know how many instances of over-height vehicles are detected on that stretch. There's a height sensor and warning sign just after 216 street and I have seen it go off before and be ignored.

Edited and that's what happened. The Glover Road bridge is the first overpass after the over-height warning lights.

Last edited by MIPS; Jul 19, 2022 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 1:22 AM

Happened again today at Glover road. Amazing.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure