HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
Recently, this suburban neighborhood has done a fantastic job with an old lumberyard site (in the middle of downtown) redeveloping the land into new condos. They look great, keep the character, and have been planned perfectly around a transit stop with access to Philadelphia. This project was awarded money from the State of NJ in their Transit Oriented Development budget.

NOTE: including new store fronts on the street level and keeping garage entrances off Main St.

Check out this link for details:

http://www.lumberyardcondos.com/index_content.html

Thanks for the post and pic, GiantSwan. Collingswood is my hometown and I'm very excited about the project. Here's a pic of the Lumber Yard from last summer:

Come a long way hat'nit. And to think I used to walk by there every morning on my way to school and see nothing but a weed-strewn field.
It's gonna be really fantastic. On Saturdays between March and October they have an open-air farmer's market next to the PATCO stop which is about a 5 minute walk from the LumberYard. Huge amount of foot traffic. Presently Collingswood's strict zoning regulations are preventing more infill from being built. But that may change in the future. Already there are few or no vacant storefronts.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 7:26 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
me too! I always have. What are sq.ft. prices like in Portland? gimme a general range for getting into a new condo... 1+den to 2 bdrm. 700-900 sq.ft.?

EDIT: ignore this. I just found rmls (i'm use to mls.ca....)
$300 - $500 per square foot usually. There are someo luxury ones that are hitting $1,000 now, but not many. Rehabbed condos go for a bit lower; some are around $250.

Hood River, OR. Holst.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 10:52 PM

Le Bijou steams ahead here in Fort Worth - now I can use something other than the rendering:

14 stucco three-story-plus-rooftop-deck townhomes, prices starting at $900,000.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 11:51 PM
Duke of Spook

Is this a gated community I see? Check out the maximum security gate at the bottom of the picture.

Other than those (and those garage-clad Philly townhouses) I like all the infill posted so far. Excellent work!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Leader VI View Post

Is this a gated community I see? Check out the maximum security gate at the bottom of the picture.

Other than those (and those garage-clad Philly townhouses) I like all the infill posted so far. Excellent work!
Well, to be fair to the Depot, that's not a great photo of it. It's hard to get good photos of it, in fact, because of its orientation.

The Depot is situated atop a fairly steep hill on the east side of downtown. It's built on the footprint of an old rail warehouse, and the old rail cargo depot is part of the development at one end. The rest of the building stretches back away from the depot and rail line, and isn't really on a street. In fact, there really aren't any roads around it, just a road that runs to the old cargo depot that's become the office. It's hard to explain.

It's not a perfect site plan, but it had to fit into a weird space, so I let it slide a bit. The Hillside Apartments, also mentioned in my post, sit right next to the Depot but below it, quite a bit lower in elevation and on a proper street grid, and are much better from a pedestrian quality point of view. The Depot had to make do with an odd situation.

EDIT: A better shot of the Depot. As I said, a weird location:

And here's the elevation difference between it and the Hillside neighborhood.

Last edited by Atomic Glee; Mar 22, 2007 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:02 AM

[QUOTE=Goody;2647185]Before

After

YES YES YES!!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:51 PM
Duke of Spook

Oh okay. That's some massive infill, Atomic Glee.

BTW - The Collingswood Lumberyard project looks SICK SouthJersey7. I love how it's right next to the PATCO Speedline. Should really densify the area nicely, compared to the empty lots that were there before.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:32 PM

SouthJersey7, Agreed. Collingswood is really helping enhance the entire PATCO cooridor. Alot of great things going on in the area. If only Haddon Twp could get their act together. They could probably support the most density around the PATCO stop they have (maybe some big office buildings, what do you think?) Or even Haddonfield doing some infill near their PATCO stop.

I'm not from Collingswood, but my parents still live in the vicinity so I keep tabs.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
SouthJersey7, Agreed. Collingswood is really helping enhance the entire PATCO cooridor. Alot of great things going on in the area. If only Haddon Twp could get their act together. They could probably support the most density around the PATCO stop they have (maybe some big office buildings, what do you think?) Or even Haddonfield doing some infill near their PATCO stop.

I'm not from Collingswood, but my parents still live in the vicinity so I keep tabs.
Both Haddon Twp and C'wood have built a low-rise office tower in the vicinity of the PATCO stop. But this has turned into more of an auto-magnet since both have parking lots overfilled and have had to construct more lots. I wish American urban planners would study the Japanese or European models of design, which are superior in almost every way. I'd love to see parking garages built at all PATCO stations and the lots turned into useful development. But this will never happen, at least not for a long time. Anyway, PATCO has overall been quite beneficial for the region since it was extended to its present terminus in 1969. But there have been a few negative side effects, the stations sort of create a "dead zone" right around them with the parking lots. Collingswood has mitigated this somewhat by using the lots on weekends when they are mostly empty to hold farmers markets. But so much more could be done. For example, something like a coffee shop or cafe integrated with the station would make a huge difference.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 9:27 PM
Duke of Spook

Exactly. Along Haddon Avenue and the PATCO line in Haddon Township (and Collingswood) really could use some densifying. I mean, I really like the Speedline, but the large parking lots around it seem to defeat the purpose, no? Still, it is one of the best effective mass transportation systems in South Jersey.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:28 PM

I couldn't agree with both of you more. I really wish there was a movement trying to do something about it.

I also heard something about Dye-Dee redevelopment...I don't know much of the details though.

I plan to take a trip back sometime in the spring...I'm definitely going to check out the new collingswood development.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:19 PM
Tribune in all her glory.

Those are some nice projects!! I'm hoping we could get some stuff like that over here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 7:56 AM

Here's an example from downtown Columbia, SC:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 8:11 AM

Two examples from downtown Charleston, SC.

This is the Victoria Center on King Street, which houses a Brooks Brothers store on the ground floor:

This is Majestic Square, adjacent to the Victoria Center, which houses a Saks:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture