HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 1:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

thanks for sharing the plans (links). very interesting.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 3:37 PM
User Registered

Edited the map to show my vision for LRT in black:

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 4:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^nice but does London Int'l airport have even remotely enough passenger volume to warrant a direct link, esp. since the majority will still drive/cab? I'd prefer (instead) a jog north to Masonville Mall and/or west to Oxfart/Wonderbread (huge pop density and retail, etc.). A cross-shaped two-line LRT, with oxfart/wonderbread to oxfart/hibury (line one) and Masonville-Downtown-White Oaks (line two). Maybe a single underground interchange station that dips south somewhat from oxfart, downtown.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:10 PM
User Registered

Perhaps the line could just end at Fanshawe College instead. Extensions from Fanshawe to the airport and UWO to masonville could be possible in the future. Train yards could be located by Wellington/401 or in the old rail yards by Dundas and Third Street.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 2:32 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Not London-related, but more Google Maps general retardedness in Toronto: Bay Street is now apparently Regional Road 169. Not sure which asshat decided this would be funny but as an owner of an Android device, I rely on accurate Google maps, and this makes me a very unhappy customer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 7:14 AM

Obama did it!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Not London-related, but more Google Maps general retardedness in Toronto: Bay Street is now apparently Regional Road 169. Not sure which asshat decided this would be funny but as an owner of an Android device, I rely on accurate Google maps, and this makes me a very unhappy customer.
You think that's bad, the entirety of Wolfe Island, south of Kingston, has disappeared from the map. The roads are still there, sitting in the St. Lawrence River. Last I heard, Hurricane Sandy hasn't sunk the island.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=44.18245,...38173&t=m&z=12 (the Short URL function isn't even working)

I blame Nancy and/or Nick C for both situations.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:35 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
You think that's bad, the entirety of Wolfe Island, south of Kingston, has disappeared from the map. The roads are still there, sitting in the St. Lawrence River. Last I heard, Hurricane Sandy hasn't sunk the island.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=44.18245,...38173&t=m&z=12 (the Short URL function isn't even working)

I blame Nancy and/or Nick C for both situations.
...how? Surely nobody did this intentionally, thinking they could get away with it?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
...how? Surely nobody did this intentionally, thinking they could get away with it?
I forgot the emoticon to indicate sarcasm.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 11:43 PM

http://www.am980.ca/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1814007

Wonderland Road Bridge (Guy Lombardo) closed due to structural issues, apparently it is on the verge of collapsing.

The bridge isn't even that old last I checked, 30 years or so?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
http://www.am980.ca/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1814007

Wonderland Road Bridge (Guy Lombardo) closed due to structural issues, apparently it is on the verge of collapsing.

The bridge isn't even that old last I checked, 30 years or so?
The bridge was opened to traffic in 1978. It's the third-newest bridge in London, after the Horton Street and Oxford Street extensions. It's new enough that my parents remember the area before there was a bridge.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:39 AM

Its gonna be one big gongshow in the west end tomorrow. Springbank will be packed. Thankfully no commute for me in that area

But yea how does a 35 year old bridge have structural issues already!? This isn't Quebec, no political cement here. Hopefully its just a a big overreaction.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 2:37 AM

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/11/08/gu...after-accident

Apparently the bridge was swaying considerably...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 2:52 AM

http://www.am980.ca/news/local/story.aspx?ID=1814117

6-12 inches holy shit would not wanna be there

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:59 AM
User Registered

That's crazy!

I don't use the bridge daily but I do plan to go from Westmount to Masonville tomorrow during rush hour. Warncliffe will be in bad shape.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 7:41 AM

I remeber when I was kid and the bridge was under construction. If you lived along Wonderland North you either had to go all the way down to Wharncliff or up to Byron to get over the Thames. I remeber coming in from Strathroy and we had to get to Westmount by the old Boler Road and then over to Viscount.

I don't know how the hell there could be structural problems the damn thing isn't that old unless it's not so much the bridge itself but rather the riverbed that is shifting.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 2:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Could it get any worse? Auld Lang Syne bridge...perhaps the busiest stretch of road in the London metro. Wholly shit this is terrible.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:49 PM

The whole thing is very bizarre. It's a modern-design structure, was rehabed several years back, and is thoroughly inspected every two years at the least by an independent bridge engineering consultant (which is provincially mandated).

I thoroughly doubt that it was moving 30cm's though. Such flexture would cause severe damage to the structure that would have been obvious at the initial inspection following the complaints.

None of it makes much sense.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
The whole thing is very bizarre. It's a modern-design structure, was rehabed several years back, and is thoroughly inspected every two years at the least by an independent bridge engineering consultant (which is provincially mandated).

I thoroughly doubt that it was moving 30cm's though. Such flexture would cause severe damage to the structure that would have been obvious at the initial inspection following the complaints.

None of it makes much sense.
Bridges are designed to be somewhat earthquake and wind resistant.

If someone complained about the bridge, and it wasn't swaying, they wouldn't have shut it up. The fact they evacuated people out of their cars telling them the bridge could collapse means the swaying certainly was noticeable....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 4:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure