HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 7:47 AM

Quote:
We need to actually do something right, rather than eviscerate it like so many other projects in town that began with soaring aspirations only to be cut down to size due to budget concerns.
ditto.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

I totally agree. I was really pleased with the design they came up with and I hope they stick to it. Hopefully they can dig up some more money somewhere. I thought this was a done deal as well with construction starting "this fall" I figured they had already picked out a construction company.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 10:30 PM

They were moving around these giant beams today near the water feature. Anyone have any idea what these are for?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 5:35 PM

Holy Crap, the landscape architect actually put a conifer tree in that new park? Surprise. Most of the new parks all use deciduous trees, so the parks look fine in the summer, but the rest of the year look barren and empty. Adding a little evergreen always helps during those winter months.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 11:06 PM

Orange construction fence is going up around the grass area. I think the chain link fence might come down soon and they'll just fence off the grass for a while. Can't wait!

Most of the lights on the paths are in and I've been waiting to see when they finally turn them on. Also wondering when the temporary telephone poles along the sidewalks will come down.

It also looks like the beams cronked has a picture of above were set in place and are some kind of sculpture/seating/play thing by the fountain. Doesn't really look that great from up above but I'm anxious to see it up close.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

The lights were being tested this morning! The "stick" lights make a cool random pattern from above. I hope they are on tonight so we can see what it looks like in the dark.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 1:49 AM

Thank you sir! I will drive by there in 10 minutes...hope they're on.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
Thank you sir! I will drive by there in 10 minutes...hope they're on.
They're not on... :-(

By the way, there is free wine tasting in the penthouse here at the Ardea until 9pm. The view alone is worth the visit.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 11:58 PM

From the November E-Current Newsletter

Quote:
Elizabeth Caruthers Park Umbrella Tour
A park is born! Join Portland Parks and Recreation Director Zari Santner at the official opening ceremony for Elizabeth Caruthers Park. Welcome and ribbon cutting start at 4pm on the NE corner of the park, followed by a park tour and reception at The Ardea. For a little perspective, Oregon Historical Society Director Emeritus Chet Orloff will present a brief historical retrospective on Elizabeth Caruthers and the South Waterfront area.

Elizabeth Caruthers Park Opening
Thursday, November 19, 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
NE Corner of Park (at SW Bond and SW Curry)
Reception at The Ardea
3720 SW Bond Ave, Portland OR 97239

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 10:03 PM

I'm back.
11/1/09 - foggy morning.
It looks like they're still at the 25th floor and about to start the narrower top section soon.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:06 PM

Cool photo. I like the foggy mornings.

thanks for posting.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 1:41 AM

That is such a nice slim view looking west. It's deceptive because, like the other towers down there, it looks so unappealingly fat from the north and south.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 8:21 AM
shozbot!

^Thanks for the pic, sowat.....good to have you back.

Here's the latest Mirabella construction update, (two actually) Oct. 15th & 30th, including some good interior progress:

http://www.mirabellaretirement.org/p...nstruction.htm

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:14 PM

The interiors are looking beautiful! Isn't it funny that Mirabella's photographer always takes his pictures on sunny days--and points it out. Having been without any rain for about 8 months, I enjoy the rainy scenes from SkyScraperPage's photographers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:03 AM

the southern section has topped-off above the 24th floor, and form work for the narrower top section is in place

Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 12:53 AM

I heard this rumor earlier this week but now it has been confirmed. The Caruthers park opening has been delayed. The park looks like it is finished and it is a fantastic looking park! But I guess they aren't quite done yet. All the lights are now coming on at night. It is pretty cool. I can't wait. The announcement is below:

November 19 Caruthers Park Opening Postponed
Portland Parks & Recreation announced this week that they are cancelling next week's ceremony at Caruthers Park, originally set for Thursday, November 19. Due to unexpected construction delays, PP&R staff do not feel the park is ready for active use this winter. "We still have a lot of finish work to complete in the park, so the contractor needs to remain on site to push that forward," said Eileen Argentina, PP&R Services Manager. "We want to make sure the park is fully finished and safe for use by the public before we open it for access."

The timing is similar to other new parks, including Gilbert Heights Park and Terrace Trails Park in east Portland, where opening ceremonies will also be held next spring to ensure the new lawn and other landscaping has had sufficient time to grow. The public grand opening of Caruthers Park is still on schedule for Spring 2010. In the meantime, the construction project is on budget and moving forward. The possibility of the park opening before the grand opening event in the Spring is yet to be determined.

Portland Parks & Recreation looks forward to celebrating the opening of the first park in the South Waterfront neighborhood with you next spring. It's been a long time in the works, but this breathtaking new park will provide a place of respite and recreation, a place for public gatherings and private moments, for generations to come.

For more information visit PortlandOnline.com or Contact Sandra Burtzos, Project Manager, 503-823-5594.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:41 PM

not much to report, still no sign of the orange/terracotta "CCP (cementitious composite panel) at the balcony alcoves", anywhere on the tower or sidecar.

The blue glass really does change color, or intensity actually, depending on the angle, and the light. I like to call it "Honey Bucket blue", since it compliments the baby blue Honey Bucket porta-potties so well.

a couple of shots out the window, this gray, very windy day

ps. Artist, I forgot to mention, last week they planted a ton of additional ferns and ground cover on the Meriwether roof that you will overlook. You can't really see them in the photo above, but this roof should be a lot greener by the time you move in.

Last edited by sowat; Nov 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 1:04 AM

Ferns and the Blues

Thanks for the photo update. Mmm, not sure about the comparison of the blues, but think the green roof concept is so interesting. It's not done here--maybe too dry. Enjoyed our .25" rain that washed the horse manure out of the trees, but not the recurring quakes. No relationship.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:58 PM

I SEE ORANGE! I couldn't get a pic of it this morning but one of the balconies on the podium facing the John Ross has the orange panels installed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 12:21 AM

^ I just caught a glimpse of it driving by. I'd describe it as a "pale bright orange" color. I'll snap some shots on Friday if it isn't raining.

The Matisse is coming along, they installed the curtain wall glass on the retail and it's looking sharp. I'll snap some pics at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland