HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 2:30 PM

Left hand soap company is moving downtown.

Still nothing on Allied Reality's two major projects for downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Still nothing on Allied Reality's two major projects for downtown.
Actually called them about this not too long ago and they're still looking to do the development around Temerson Square. Didn't specify if they had any tenants or not, but they're still going forward with the plans.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:25 PM

Would be nice to hear something about some of the undeveloped areas around downtown and what they're going to do to create local jobs. I vaguely remember Mayor Maddox speaking about how our sales tax revenue was down a bit last year, and he was urging residents to shop more downtown.

Something needs to be done when you're coming into downtown from 69. The last thing anyone wants to see is a vacant Goodyear building and chained fast-food restaurants. Nothing about coming in that way is appealing and really stands out saying "you're hear". The council has spoke endlessly about improving the gateways and nothing has been done.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:45 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
"When it's all said and done, the roads and transportation system in Tuscaloosa County will be envied by a lot of other places in the state." If this Nation would get it together and truly invest in it's infrastructure, it would be a wonderful gift to future generations. I love the fact that Tuscaloosa may is one of the most progressive cities in this Nation. What a great home for The University of Alabama.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
"When it's all said and done, the roads and transportation system in Tuscaloosa County will be envied by a lot of other places in the state." If this Nation would get it together and truly invest in it's infrastructure, it would be a wonderful gift to future generations. I love the fact that Tuscaloosa may is one of the most progressive cities in this Nation. What a great home for The University of Alabama.
Just the improvements they plan on making along Skyland are going to work miracles for the southern part of town.

It would be nice if they would widen the McFarland bridge over the river...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 8:20 PM

FYI. There are plans to widen the McFarland bridge to six lanes, with a bike/walking bridge that will connect to the River Walk. If I remember correctly, it's about a year out from beginning construction. It will add much needed lanes for traffic and take the River Walk across the river so it can continue East, along the levy, at a later date.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 8:15 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:04 PM

What I would like to see, in the near future, is a new railroad bridge across the Black Warrior River, about 300 yards to the west of the current bridge. It would straighten the north/south railroad approaching the river from the north and the south and provide a new, up-to-date, safe railroad bridge. Then, modify and use the old bridge as a pedestrian/bike bridge that would connect the Tuscaloosa River Walk to the Northport River Walk. Also, the Tuscaloosa River Walk could be extended west to the Oliver Dam. Just thinking.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 4:51 PM

Would be huge for downtown and I dearly hope this gets approved to replace that ugly vacant spot. Maybe that would help recruit some more business around that area to bring more entertainment and jobs.

New hotel planned for downtown

Quote:
Developer Clayton Hudson is planning a 120-room, five-story hotel at the former Fire Station No. 1 site on Lurleen B. Wallace Boulevard South between Sixth and Seventh streets.

Hudson said he intends to build a $20 million AC Hotels by Marriott, a high-end hotel line that began in 1998 in Madrid, Spain.

“It’s a very European kind of flair,” Hudson said.

If completed it will be just the second of its kind in Alabama, Hudson said.

Some of the finer details remain to be determined, but the hotel is expected to include be 8,000 square feet with an underground parking garage, spa, restaurant and a covered, outdoor lounge that Hudson said “would be a little bit more conducive to our weather, I think.”

Hudson said the hotel is expected to create at least 40 new jobs while contributing up to $50 million to city and county tax rolls over the next 30 years.
Quote:
Hudson needs permission of the City Council to move forward and, on Tuesday, the council’s properties committee signed off on the project. The full City Council is expected to vote on the matter in two weeks.

If approved, Hudson said the hotel could be open by fall 2019. This would make it the fourth hotel to open in the downtown area in as many years.
Quote:
The council’s blessing is needed for Hudson’s project because the city owns the lot. The 0.98-acre tract has been property of City Hall since the 1920s, but the fire station was vacated by the Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue Service in spring 2009 after the completion of the new Fire Station No. 1 on 15th Street.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:38 PM

Non-development news: Mayor's Cup, Half-Marathon has reached over 1000 registrants!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:37 PM

Some downtown news:

Fuzzy's Taco Shop has re-opened.

The Bryant Bank on university broke ground a while ago. Had no idea.

Still no news on whether the new hotel will get approved, but I do hope it gets the green light.

A Homewood restaurant called "Real & Rosemary" has decided to expand into Tuscaloosa and is currently renovating the building formerly owned by Which Wich.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:39 PM

Off topic, but I absolutely love how much the druid city art festival has grown. I remember when it first started as a student, and now it attracts people from all around the state. Met a couple from Fairhope last weekend that loved it!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Would be huge for downtown and I dearly hope this gets approved to replace that ugly vacant spot. Maybe that would help recruit some more business around that area to bring more entertainment and jobs.

New hotel planned for downtown

City council just approved this project, while also approving for a bank to take a vacant lot on 2301 Sixth St.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:18 AM

Tutwiler

Has anyone seen renderings of what the new Tutwiler Hall will look like? Last time I was in town I saw they were pretty far along with the parking deck, but I've yet to see what the building is going to look like. Should be substantial, no?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:45 AM

Been out for a while due to work, but some nice development going on around town. Glad to say Tuscaloosa County is getting two new schools in Tuscaloosa and Northport:
School board gets first look at new MLK Elementary

Quote:
The building, which will cover around 82,000 square feet, will be two stories high and will have a total of 27 classrooms, but will have the capability to add 10 more classrooms to suit future needs. Requist said that the building design will have a capacity of 550 students, but can be expanded to fit 650. Current projections have MLK Elementary having at least 467 students in the upcoming school year.
Planned Northport school has a new look

Quote:
Jordan Morris, principal architect with Ward Scott, said the 107,000-square-foot building will be two stories tall, ideally with one grade on the first floor and another grade on the second floor. Morris said the building will hold 700 students with the capability to hold 1,000 if needed.
New coffee shop opening on University.

World of Beer has finally opened downtown. It'll be interesting to see if we can support both it and Cravings.

Mellow Mushroom is finally returning and will take the site Post Office Pies used to hold.

High-tech bowling alley is going to replace the site previously held by Bruno's on McFarland.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:37 AM

New business school building

It's great that the business school is getting a new building, but I have to say that I really wish that there could be a bit more imagination used when designing new buildings for campus. Do I mean modern designs? Absolutely not - there is definitely a style that must be honored. However, the rectangle boxes with a few columns in the front is starting to get a bit monotonous across campus. Just my $.02.

http://cw.ua.edu/45087/news/culverho...uilding/#photo

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:23 AM

*crickets*

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:40 AM

Unfortunately, I have not kept up with what is going on in T-Town since moving out of state.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:02 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast