HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:25 AM

Great to see above ground progress. It won't be too long before we start to see it impact the skyline. But how 'bout the cloud reflections on the Fairmont and JW!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:21 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Great to see above ground progress. It won't be too long before we start to see it impact the skyline. But how 'bout the cloud reflections on the Fairmont and JW!
I was thinking the same thing. I love the glass on both of those.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 8:56 AM
Meh

Yeah, I gotta say, I really like the JW Marriott a lot. The dark glass and slenderness of it won me over. My favorite view of it is from the south. It just looks like good infill from there. Also, the Fairmont looks good when the weather is nice. The glass on those two is so reflective. I've seen the Fairmont sometimes and it almost appears invisible the way it reflects everything back at you. It almost has a waterfall effect the way it's a massive blue wall.

Anyway, I''m looking forward to seeing this one go up. It likely won't make much of an impact from the south, so I won't see it unless I'm on the other side of the Four Seasons Residences.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:21 AM
Meh

I noticed this building from I-35 for the first time on Friday starting to poke up. It's also going to fill in the gap between One Congress Plaza and the Four Seasons Residences pretty nicely as seen from Butler Park based on where the cranes are now.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:17 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 3:03 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 4:27 AM

Those look like escalators to me. Never seen one exposed like that. Nice! I hate stairs. But that might just be the approx. 335,800 cigarettes I've smoked in the last 46 years dictating that...(based on avg 1 pack / day). Having said that...that's about 16,800 packs. And despite that, I can still walk about 20 feet before running out of breath. Don't mean to brag! Funny that I really don't remember buying 16,800 packs of cigs.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 23, 2018 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Those look like escalators to me. Never seen one exposed like that. Nice! I hate stairs. But that might just be the approx. 335,800 cigarettes I've smoked in the last 46 years dictating that...(based on avg 1 pack / day). Having said that...that's about 16,800 packs. And despite that, I can still walk about 20 feet before running out of breath. Don't mean to brag! Funny that I really don't remember buying 16,800 packs of cigs.
Damn Genral.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 3:23 AM

Taking off topicness to an all new level, the preceding vid enticed me to get out of bed, step outside, and burn one of my poverty Pall Mall Blue 100s. As a side note, there once was a time you could smoke on an escalator. And since I inadvertently sent this thread to off - topicville, can someone please tell me why Christmas is the only holiday that gets to be 'Merry' while all the other ones only get to be 'Happy'? Well I for one am going to change that. To anyone with a birthday coming up...Merry Birthday and Happy Christmas to all.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 1:19 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Taking off topicness to an all new level, the preceding vid enticed me to get out of bed, step outside, and burn one of my poverty Pall Mall Blue 100s. As a side note, there once was a time you could smoke on an escalator. And since I inadvertently sent this thread to off - topicville, can someone please tell me why Christmas is the only holiday that gets to be 'Merry' while all the other ones only get to be 'Happy'? Well I for one am going to change that. To anyone with a birthday coming up...Merry Birthday and Happy Christmas to all.

In the UK they say Happy Christmas although you would think it would be the other way around because it sounds so British to say Merry Christmas (with a British accent)...

You know this building is not as long as I was expecting. Actually will be nice to have more of a squarish point tower in that location. They will be putting huge glass windows all up where those escalators are which will be pretty cool. Starting to like this building more.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:36 AM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:32 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:15 AM

If memory serves me, which would be amazing since I don't remember what I ate for dinner last night, but don't they usually use wood as bracing between floors? Here its all metal.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:17 AM

Those cantilevering floors...pretty neat!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
If memory serves me, which would be amazing since I don't remember what I ate for dinner last night, but don't they usually use wood as bracing between floors? Here its all metal.
You're right, though wood shoring is becoming an old school approach especially on these sorts of projects. These bigger GCs rather invest the money upfront for steel shoring (the scaffold looking structures) and the re-shoring (the sticks) because it's easily reusable, has greater capacities so less material is needed which ultimately makes OSHA happy, and is arguably faster to put up in the field.

I can't tell you what you ate last night but I can tell you about the fun world of shoring.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:54 AM

At least one of the cranes is scheduled to be jumped this weekend.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:34 PM

Based on a rough comparison from I-35, the core looks to be 160' above ground (give or take 10'.) Seems like a fast build to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin