HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 12:25 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

The good news I guess is that most people have a hugely exaggerated sense of the technological importance of these companies. The fact that they are so lucrative says more about the structure of the US economy than about how novel and critical their technology is.
This.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 12:48 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If Amazon isn't coming here, what's the closest Canada has to an Amazon? For that matter, what is our Uber, Facebook, Google.... ? Studies suggest that Canada produces large quantities of top notch tech talent so surely they've founded start ups similar or are in the process of doing so.

At the end of the day Canada will be rated by it's the ability to spawn global tech companies. We have Shopify and then .......
I don't see the importance of developing global tech companies to be recognized as a centre for innovation as long as we continue to build amazing start ups that those bloated global tech firms continue to grossly over pay to get.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Hootsuite is all I can think of.
Hootsuite, Slack, and Shopify are the only ones of any importance. Canadian companies seem to sell out before making it big. I think access to later stage financing is a big issue in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:37 PM
Busy Beaver

Amazon cancels plans to build New York headquarters

What a farce this whole thing has been.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:45 PM

Yup, lets see who will give us land, who won't tax us and we will set up shop there. Toronto never had a chance because it wasn't going to just give away anything to Amazon.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Amazon cancels plans to build New York headquarters

What a farce this whole thing has been.
Oh, come on.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:34 PM
Winnipeg

I've been interested in this thing for quite a while. To me, it makes much sense New York got it

I was reading through the previous comments about cities like Calgary, Winnipeg and Halifax proposing. It caught my eye that some people said its embarrasing.

I don't think it's embarrasing. It may sounds unfriendly, but I want to say to regard those cities as embarrassing and desperate sounds like to consider them as inferior.

There's nothing wrong to let Amazon know what a city can offer. Just 2 years ago, Amazon purchased several influential tech companies in Winnipeg, it's this year that this thing went under the radar.

I believe Amazon is smart and good at strategy, thus it would not see this selection only as a selection process.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:47 PM
I am the law!

The HQ2 campaign backfired on Amazon and could lead to more changes when it comes to corporate welfare in the US. LOL

It's not inferior to know your limitations. I don't think it was a good strategy to submit proposals that could not meet Amazon's basic needs but, others have said (paraphasing) any publicity is good publicity.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:50 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The HQ2 campaign backfired on Amazon and could lead to more changes when it comes to corporate welfare in the US. LOL

It's not inferior to know your limitations. I don't think it was a good strategy to submit proposals that could not meet Amazon's basic needs but, others have said (paraphasing) any publicity is good publicity.
I think Amazon probably used the chance to learn about more cities and emerging markets, but yeah it's solely at the discretion of Amazon, not idea if they did that behind the scene

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:56 PM
sick transit, gloria

Somehow I get the impression they never really intended to relocate to NYC and are looking for more handouts from smaller locations. Maybe that's just the pessimist in me though.

Not a fan of seeing the idea of Toronto revived as a contender, though at least we can't really give them any tax breaks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:04 PM

The whole thing turned out to be nothing but a farce as its clear he had every inbtention of going to Washington from the start.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:22 PM
Winnipeg

I see it as possibly Amazon's sneaky way of doing a market scan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:06 PM
Look at me!

I can`t believe anyone fell for this ploy even 1 year ago when the whole farce started.

Honestly, when I saw there was a Montreal delegation I felt embarassed. Even worst was when the canadian and quebec media started to pretend there was an active competition between the bids of Montreal and Toronto.

Blah.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:03 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I can`t believe anyone fell for this ploy even 1 year ago when the whole farce started.

Honestly, when I saw there was a Montreal delegation I felt embarassed. Even worst was when the canadian and quebec media started to pretend there was an active competition between the bids of Montreal and Toronto.

Blah.
Don't trust local media too much lol, they want to earn revenue. I don't often read the headlines of Winnipeg Free Press unless it's about business opportunities/news, policy changes or construction news

I bet these media really aroused the emotions

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I've been interested in this thing for quite a while. To me, it makes much sense New York got it

I was reading through the previous comments about cities like Calgary, Winnipeg and Halifax proposing. It caught my eye that some people said its embarrasing.

I don't think it's embarrasing. It may sounds unfriendly, but I want to say to regard those cities as embarrassing and desperate sounds like to consider them as inferior.

There's nothing wrong to let Amazon know what a city can offer. Just 2 years ago, Amazon purchased several influential tech companies in Winnipeg, it's this year that this thing went under the radar.

I believe Amazon is smart and good at strategy, thus it would not see this selection only as a selection process.
It was a good exercise for Calgary and probably a lot of other cities. We found out what our strengths and weaknesses are in the eyes of a huge tech company. Hopefully now we'll start dealing the weaknesses to make us more attractive to tech companies and possibly other types of companies.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:30 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Somehow I get the impression they never really intended to relocate to NYC and are looking for more handouts from smaller locations. Maybe that's just the pessimist in me though.

Not a fan of seeing the idea of Toronto revived as a contender, though at least we can't really give them any tax breaks.
This went very fast. Even political supporters are probably in shock of the news.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

this whole thing has been revealed as a complete farce. utter waste of time.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:37 AM

Just wait til you read about Googles latest plan for the Toronto Portlands that leaked tonight

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:47 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Just wait til you read about Googles latest plan for the Toronto Portlands that leaked tonight
Haven't had a chance to go through it all yet, but somewhat coincidentally I was chatting the night before with an architect who's been to several of the "industry" meetings on the project. The whole thing sounds extremely dubious and the pretty renderings are pretty much meaningless at this point.

But I guess we're supposed to just submit to the benevolent tech overlords at this point.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:11 PM
I am the law!

No taxes and free land to build some sci-fi utopia which we later find out isn't utopian at all.

I'm not opposed to government investing in new community concepts but, not in a city with out of control real estate and through a publicly traded tech company. There's billions in public dollars going into the Portland already to prepare it for residential use. The public needs to get something back on that investment. We can't afford to hand it over for free.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada