HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 4:53 PM
Baltimore

Hmm... no one really knows about the 2 60 towers.... with how long everything takes there may be more than enough demand for them to be 60 stories a piece when they are actually going to design and build them.

What is Cordish Tower?

How tall was EAst Pratt originally supposed to be?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 6:02 PM

The 2 60 story towers are actually still up in the air. The guy said the second tower could be the taller one but that costs for labor and materials will be so high for such a big project.

East Pratt is supposed to be 35 stories while the Cordish Tower is the one close to I-83 with the really funny looking top to it that looks like a Pez dispenser. I think it's supposed to be like 32 floors.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 6:29 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
The 2 60 story towers are actually still up in the air. The guy said the second tower could be the taller one but that costs for labor and materials will be so high for such a big project.

East Pratt is supposed to be 35 stories while the Cordish Tower is the one close to I-83 with the really funny looking top to it that looks like a Pez dispenser. I think it's supposed to be like 32 floors.

When are East Pratt and Cordish supposed to happen? Arey they both just proposed? They are new projects? (There is nothing yet on emporis)
That is good, because it sounds like with the Cordish, it will help bring the skyline north some.

Are there any pictures anyone has on the Hilton?

And has anyone heard on the status of the Four Seasons hotel?

And thanks for your info sdeclue!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 8:04 PM

There are pictures of the Hilton. I'm not sure how to put them up here but it might be the ugliest building ever and it will probably only anger you.

Good news though on the Four Seasons, which will break ground either in late July or sometime in August.

There is no word on specific proposal for 300 E Pratt, but it is assumed that it's the one rendering we have been seeing for that property for some time now. There is no timeline or anything on that.

The Cordish Tower has been around forever and the people in charge just haven't pushed it forward. That rendering is also available. I think it is going to be around 30-35 stories with a very quirky look to it. A lot of people had given up on the tower (while a bunch didn't care cause they think it looks so bad) but the latest news from a guy who works in construction and has contacts says it will happen sometime in the first half of next year. Whether that happens or not, who knows. I have my doubts considering how long this tower has been ready to go up yet hasn't been built.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2006, 8:23 PM
Baltimore

Cool, the only pictures I saw of the Hilton were a ground of dirt in April. The Four Seasons will be exciting as it is a good height and right on the water and will start to go up as Vue Harbor East gets close to topping out!!!!!

That is the hottest section of the city right now... 414 Water is cool, but it is by itself....

...although a lot of our newer buildings are noticable, they are only between 300-400ft .... I hope that most of the buildings proposed from now on are at least 400+ ft so they will stick up amonst the current tallest buildings of the city (and importantly be seen from '95!!!)

But anyways.... it will good to see them start on the Four Seasons, I'm really excited about that as buildings like the Zenith and Hilton are not that great and not too tall (but at least they still add something)

Sdeclue, thanks for your imput, you should come here more often and bring others with you.... I can't get on SSC from here, it is blocked for me. If I could I would jump back and forth and do both SSP and SSC.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2006, 9:12 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Go to www.baltimoredevelopment.com and click on the "development" heading. You'll see different areas of the "development" such as office, residential, mixed-use, etc... There will be renderings of the Cordish tower, etc.... BTW the Cordish tower is 701 East Baltimore Street.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 7:18 PM
Baltimore

They seem like alright ideas, but nothing too much. When 10 IH is starting to rise I think that a lot more developers from other areas and such not too familiar with Baltimore may give it a look and we shall get more good-looking tall buildings. I'm kind of sick of the brick look, everything in Baltimore seems like it's brick. 10 IH is nice blue glass. Even Water St and Vue east look brick. Hopefully some approvals that we are still waiting for will be nice and modern looking buildings.

But again, I am happy with all of the buildings that we are getting.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 8:53 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Great news!

LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
Developers buy site for Inner Harbor tower
By JEN DeGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer

UrbanAmerica LP and Doracon LLC inked a $30 million deal this week for 300 E. Pratt St., the parking lot that was once home to the News American newspaper and is now one of the last developable spots along Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. The companies plan to erect a 50-story-or-taller condominium and hotel tower on the site, investing $250 million for a skyscraper atop one of the city’s most coveted pieces of real estate. There is room to build more than 1 million square feet of space.

“It’s the best location in Baltimore,” said Richmond S. McCoy, president and chief executive of UrbanAmerica, a private, New York-based real estate equity firm. “We think its one of the best sites in the entire Northeast, and we’re thrilled to have acquired it,” McCoy said. “It’s 100 percent ground zero, on the Inner Harbor with spectacular views of the water and Fort McHenry.”

Doracon, headed by Baltimore developer Ronald Lipscomb, and UrbanAmerica will act as joint developers and owners of the project, McCoy said. Lipscomb could not be reached for comment. The companies plan to submit project designs to the city by the end of the year and will likely break ground at some point in 2007, McCoy said. A hotel operator will be selected in the months ahead.

“Our intention is to build a five-star building with parking, retail, a luxury hotel and luxury condominiums,” McCoy said. “It will change the landscape of downtown Baltimore.” News of Doracon’s and UrbanAmerica’s tower follows the February announcement of another skyline-altering project. Philadelphia-based ARC Wheeler Group unveiled plans to construct a glass skyscraper rising 59 stories on Light Street, at the long-vacant site of the old McCormick spice plant.

The McCormick site had for years been a favorite topic in real estate circles, with brokers and buyers gossiping about what sort of development would ultimately rise there. After the ARC Wheeler plan was made public, the also juicy subject of the News American lot became an even juicier mystery.

Schulweis Realty Inc. — the company of Harvey Schulweis, chief executive of Town and Country Trust, which merged with an investor group led by Morgan Stanley Real Estate — has owned the property for years and floated a number of unfruitful ideas for the site. In 2001, the company proposed building a $100 million apartment, retail and parking building. But nothing ever came of it.

“The fact that Doracon and UrbanAmerica were motivated to purchase the site … is great news,” said Andrew B. Frank, vice president of the Baltimore Development Corp., the city’s economic development arm. “It’s terrific news because it means something will happen on that site. We lost faith that something would be built there.”

“It’s another example of a national developer discovering that there are opportunities in Baltimore,” Frank said. The Inner Harbor tower would be UrbanAmerica’s first venture in Baltimore. The company has been involved in Maryland real estate, maintaining 600,000 square feet of mainly retail and office space here and in Washington.

Bruce Matthai, a senior vice president and principal of Colliers Pinkard, said condominiums are good uses for the prominent Inner Harbor locale. “Residences downtown is something that the city would really benefit from,” Matthai said. “It would make the [central business district] a more vibrant 24-7 environment.”

However, Matthai would offer the developer one caution. “There are a lot of luxury condominiums that are under construct today,” he said. ARC Wheeler’s plans, for example, call for high-end condominiums and a boutique hotel. The Downtown Partnership of Baltimore found in a recent survey of industry experts that condominiums priced higher than $750,000 were at risk of being overbuilt downtown while condominiums priced below $500,000 would do well.
-------------

300 East Pratt street will give Baltimore yet ANOTHER tall 50+ story tower for the city's skyline!
Baltimore is really "moving on up!"

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 8:59 PM
Baltimore

4 New Tallest or is it 6 New Tallest?

This is great news!!!

10 IH, this new 50+ story building, then the 2 supposed 60+ story buildings.

Steven.... I remember reading the original article about the guys that wanted to build 2 60+ story buildings..... and then an article with that guy Naing who wanted to build 2 60+ story buildings..... are those different people? It seems that the Naing guy isn't the same as the other guys to build those 2 buildings, but it is vague in my memory. If that is the case, then we would have 6 new proposed buildings (all probably taller than Legg Mason)

1) 10 IH
2) The new 50+ story building just proposed
3 & 4) 2 60+ story buildings mentioned from article I think over a month ago
5 & 6) 2 60+ story buildings mentioned a couple weeks ago (Naing article)

Is that right?

Maybe I'm just having skyscraper delirium, but 6 new tallest buildings for our beloved Baltimore is amazing, if not I'm plenty content with the possible actual 4 new tallest proposed buildings. In either case....... wow.

This whole thing is so uncanny !!!!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 11:50 PM

No, the Naing guy is building 2 60 story towers (so we hope) and there are no other 60 story towers planned. However, 10IH could end up being more than 59 stories.

Also, several large towers (I believe it's either 3 or 5) are planned at some point for the Westport area. There are no renderings and no real information on that yet.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 11:58 PM

Also it's worth mentioning that the 34 story cordish tower should go up sometime next year, four seasons will start by the end of august, water tower, the vue and the zenith are all moving along at a nice clip and the Hilton Hotel is in the process of going up.

There is also the 18 story mercy hospital expansion, another building (i forget the name of but someone recently told me about it) that will be 28 stories, the Westport development and Canton Crossing, the 30 story Icon building in Canton(which I havent heard anything about in quite awhile), and hopefully eventually a project at 1 Light Street.

And there are still a bunch of towers I have forgotten, not to mention countless other very important projects like the new community planned around Johns Hopkins.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 2:47 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Yeah, it's the same guy.
Nice dream, though.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 2:24 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Baltimore's "Super Block" high-rise proposals:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 2:31 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

New bid for west side
Weinberg charity poses idea amid dispute over land
By Lorraine Mirabella
Sun reporter
Originally published July 22, 2006
The charitable foundation facing potential city condemnation of its property in six blocks critical to Baltimore's west-side revitalization moved yesterday to save its stake in the huge urban renewal project, proposing to develop a mix of housing, offices and shops totaling more than 2 million square feet.

The effort by the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation is the latest salvo in a tug of war between the nonprofit and city development officials over the future of a parcel viewed as a key link in continuing the momentum of the millions of dollars invested in west-side projects.

The years-long dispute threatens to further complicate efforts to infuse new life into a struggling stretch of downtown, the so-called superblock. It also underscores the obstacles facing a city that threatens to use its condemnation authority against a powerful property owner that can assist in such a revival.

Municipalities' use of eminent domain for economic development was reinforced by a Supreme Court decision last year that backed the power of a Connecticut town to seize homes to make way for redevelopment. But in that case, New London, Conn., was taking on homeowners, not a wealthy and influential institution that wants to carry out a large-scale project involving its properties. The Weinberg Foundation owns more than half the land in the six-block area bounded by Howard, West Clay, Liberty and West Fayette streets.

In presenting a vision for a dense mix of housing, shops and offices yesterday to the board of the Downtown Partnership, the Weinberg Foundation and its partner, the Cordish Co., hoped to persuade the city to rethink its choice of a New York developer to oversee the project. It also wanted to avert the city's threatened seizure of its properties.

"My goal in going to the Downtown Partnership was to explain our vision for the entire west-side area," said Shale Stiller, president and chief executive of the Weinberg Foundation.

Yesterday, city officials left the door open to the possibility of Weinberg's participation, though they said the New York developer chosen last year would lead the project.

"There may yet be a role, a partnering role, for the foundation and the Cordish Co. to play, and we would be having conversations about it," said M.J. "Jay" Brodie, president of the Baltimore Development Corp. and a member of the Downtown Partnership's board. Brodie saw the detailed plan for the first time yesterday. "I thought that what they showed us today was a valuable contribution to the ongoing thinking about the west side. There were some useful ideas, and serious thought was given to it."

City Solicitor Ralph S. Tyler said that switching developers would pose an ethical, more than a legal, problem for the city at this point.

"The only way to encourage economic development in the city is for there to be integrity in the process," Tyler said.

"We had a process, and a developer was selected. The Weinberg Foundation, for reasons they think are good, never bid. Be that as it may, if you don't bid, you don't bid.

"We are moving forward with our plans to acquire the property, and there may be some role, as of yet undefined, for the Weinberg Foundation," Tyler said.

"But the primary and principal developer will be the group selected as a result of the competitive process."

The city selected New York developer Chera Feil Goldman Group to develop the 3.6-acre parcel last year.

The group's exclusive negotiating privilege with the city to develop the project expires at year's end.

At yesterday's meeting, the foundation and Cordish officials outlined how they would preserve historic buildings and facades, and add 10 to 12 buildings up to 35 stories. It would include 890 apartments, ground-level shops and restaurants encompassing 151,750 square feet, and 206,000 square feet of office space. The plan would sharply increase the density that has been proposed by Chera Feil Goldman Group, which plans 225 apartments and 64,500 square feet of shops.

Ronald M. Kreitner, executive director of Westside Renaissance Inc., a group that works to encourage economic development, urged reconsideration of the proposal.

"This is the most exciting and substantive plan for the superblock that I have seen," Kreitner said.

"It truly raises the bar for Baltimore, and it's my hope and that of others that this plan would be given very serious consideration as the process allows, or as things proceed."

The city has said the Weinberg Foundation had rejected its efforts to have the foundation sell its properties or join the New York developer in a joint venture.

City officials took steps this month to seize control of 12 Weinberg properties as a last resort to keep the project on track. The foundation has until Aug. 3 to respond.

Yesterday, during a 50-minute presentation to the Downtown Partnership's board, Stiller denied that the foundation has held up progress.

He also told the board that he believed that Weinberg had lost out on a chance to bid on the superblock redevelopment because the city backed out of a property swap agreement.

Stiller said Weinberg did not bid when the city requested developer proposals in October 2003 because the foundation had agreed to exchange its properties south of Lexington Street for north-side parcels the city agreed to acquire.

Stiller told the board that the city backed out of the agreement in mid-2004 after the deadline to submit proposals for the superblock had passed.

Yesterday, Brodie declined to comment on Stiller's account.

Downtown Partnership President Kirby Fowler said the Weinberg team had asked to present its plans to the board.

"The superblock is so important to connecting the west side to the east side that it requires serious discussion and analysis, and the presentation of all ideas is healthy," he said.

"Our goal is to make sure something happens on the superblock and to make sure it happens quickly."

City officials said yesterday that they intend to work with the New York group as the principal developers and to take control of the Weinberg properties, through a "quick take" eminent domain court procedure if necessary. Mayor Martin O'Malley's decision this month to take steps to acquire those properties helped to reassure the New York group, Brodie said.

"They were understandably cautious about moving forward when they didn't really know if the city would be able to assemble a site," Brodie said. Now, he said, "they will be moving ahead with architecture, economic studies, and we'd move ahead in the next weeks and months."

Isaac Chera, a partner in the development group, has said the team's proposal would be unworkable without the Weinberg properties. Chera did not return calls yesterday.

lorraine.mirabella@baltsun.com

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 2:46 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Howard, West Clay, Liberty and West Fayette streets.

Shown here:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...05322&t=h&om=1

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 4:11 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
There is also the 18 story mercy hospital expansion, another building (i forget the name of but someone recently told me about it) that will be 28 stories, the Westport development and Canton Crossing, the 30 story Icon building in Canton(which I havent heard anything about in quite awhile), and hopefully eventually a project at 1 Light Street.

The building referred to as Canton Crossing has been built. That is the huge building with "1st Mariner Bank" posted atop it. Are you talking about something else?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 4:13 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
No, the Naing guy is building 2 60 story towers (so we hope) and there are no other 60 story towers planned. However, 10IH could end up being more than 59 stories.
10IH WILL be more than 59 stories. I can feel it.

And Thanks for your info!

Steven, should we refer to the 50+ story building being build on 300 E. Pratt to the 300 E. Pratt Building?
Also... 300 E Pratt is right down in front of the harbor right? Like where Best Buy is and accross the street from WTC and Cheesecake Factory? What is there now? I thought the mall is there where it looks like that address is on the map....

Last edited by Ktulured55; Jul 24, 2006 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 11:51 PM

I'm fairly confident about 10IH too. The guys building it sound like they definitely want to make it the tallest and more premiere building in the city. As for Canton Crossing, there is rumor of a big development there. Awhile back it was rumored that Hale wanted to create an "upscale" Inner Harbor. There were a couple different designs, with a few towers in each. It was hard to tell their size and how many, and I haven't heard anything on that whole area in about 6 months.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:23 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
10IH WILL be more than 59 stories. I can feel it.

And Thanks for your info!

Steven, should we refer to the 50+ story building being build on 300 E. Pratt to the 300 E. Pratt Building?
Also... 300 E Pratt is right down in front of the harbor right? Like where Best Buy is and accross the street from WTC and Cheesecake Factory? What is there now? I thought the mall is there where it looks like that address is on the map....
300 East Pratt is an empty lot now.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 5:43 AM

They have started some preliminary drilling for the 4 Seasons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations