HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 PM
NOLA Razorback

W hotel

So does this mean that the W is leaving downtown? Or are they building a new hotel somewhere else?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
So does this mean that the W is leaving downtown? Or are they building a new hotel somewhere else?
Its hard to explain but basically the new owners of the property have decided to rebrand the hotel. W is just the flag. so yes the w brand will only be in the French Quarter. Le Meridien is under the Starwood banner and ultimately this rebranding should result in the property being upgraded as its kind of become ratty over the last few years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:08 AM
NOLA Razorback

Yeah, the current W could definitely use a little TLC.. I guess it makes sense, since the W just did an awesome renovation to their FQ hotel. I could see why they'd focus their attention there. Either way at least the downtown hotel will get a needed renovation.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:04 AM

Interesting that Raising Cane's is putting their first Eastbank NOLA location at LA and Claiborne of all places. In fact, it's good that this whole development is being built, but I'm kinda leery of that dark cavernous parking garage in this part of town.

I love all these construction permits, but what about demolition permits? Addition by subtraction is also a terrific thing provided anything being demolished is worthy of it...(i.e. the pay-by-the-hour two story roach motels on Tulane Ave.) Any significant demolitions coming up?

Last edited by lamsalfl; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The first level has about 50,000 square feet of retail with no tenant yet. subway will be torn down for Raising Canes. Taco Bell is already under construction in front of it.
Yeah, the renderings show "retail anchor"....sound like target to me.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:34 AM

50,000 would be a small target

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 6:13 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
Interesting that Raising Cane's is putting their first Eastbank NOLA location right in the heart of Tellytown of all places. In fact, it's good that this whole development is being built, but I'm kinda leery of that dark cavernous parking garage in this part of town.

I love all these construction permits, but what about demolition permits? Addition by subtraction is also a terrific thing provided anything being demolished is worthy of it...(i.e. the pay-by-the-hour two story roach motels on Tulane Ave.) Any significant demolitions coming up?
I never really post the demolition permits but there are many!

50,000 is small for a regular target but about right for the city target size!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:19 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, City Target usually cuts the clothes, housewares, and outdoors sections that don't make much sense in a tight urban environment. Bigger food section, smaller everything else.

The demolition thing is misguided... An intact building is almost always better than a vacant lot, unless the building is so ramshackle that it's beyond saving.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:05 AM

Noticed a Five Guys is under construction in Elmwood.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:51 AM

@lamsafl...I'm sure there will be ample lighting and security for the garage. If the developer wants this to successful, they know they will have to combat the preconceived image of the area.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
@lamsafl...I'm sure there will be ample lighting and security for the garage. If the developer wants this to successful, they know they will have to combat the preconceived image of the area.
In that respect, hopefully they are more forward thinking than our mayor.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:11 PM
TL;DR

^ hear hear

However, it's not like NOPD is some shining beacon of justice that's being strangled by a cheap mayor. There are quite a few bad cops that ruin the effectiveness of the department.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:30 PM

Yeah, this Magnolia crossing looks like a boondoggle. The security issues of this location are just too much. Any store there would soon be an imfamous zoo, see: Tchoup Walmart.

I also think the scale is wrong for the neigborhood, parking garages a block from two story row houses?

And also- why would we want anything like Vets in the city?!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Yeah, this Magnolia crossing looks like a boondoggle. The security issues of this location are just too much. Any store there would soon be an imfamous zoo, see: Tchoup Walmart.

I also think the scale is wrong for the neigborhood, parking garages a block from two story row houses?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
Interesting that Raising Cane's is putting their first Eastbank NOLA location at LA and Claiborne of all places. In fact, it's good that this whole development is being built, but I'm kinda leery of that dark cavernous parking garage in this part of town.

For inner city NOLA better design might be to have the storefronts directly on the edge of the sidewalk that run parallel to the streets for patrons walking to these businesses. the Parking garage could be better designed and put on the roof of the building with secure, camera monitored parking with security guards patroling. The facades don't have to be fake psudo-traditional french quarter design. but something contemporary that will keep the Urban feel of the street and not the long rows of suburban businesses lining Vets that lack any rhyme or reason in desgin.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:57 PM

Indulge Island Grill Opens on 845 Carondelet Street

GNORealEstateNews.com reports that Indulge Island Grill opens this week on 845 Carondelet Street.

The photos on facebook are mostly of the pool being lit in different colors , is it supposed to be a CBD version of The Country Club?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:25 PM
-

Random development!

Hueys 24/7 is coming back again too at the corne of Common and Baronne. How many times will this place come back from the dead?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:50 AM

Magnolia Marketplace

So the City Planning Commission approved Magnolia Marketplace, but with certain conditions like reducing the # of parking spaces. Hopefully the project doesn't get derailed because we need all the retail we can get. I do feel sorry for the church though.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/12/major-new-shopping-center-planned-for-claiborne-and-toledano/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 2:13 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
So the City Planning Commission approved Magnolia Marketplace, but with certain conditions like reducing the # of parking spaces. Hopefully the project doesn't get derailed because we need all the retail we can get. I do feel sorry for the church though.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/12/major-new-shopping-center-planned-for-claiborne-and-toledano/
The reduced parking spaces may mean increased retail space. Either way good to see it moving another step forward!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAforME View Post
For inner city NOLA better design might be to have the storefronts directly on the edge of the sidewalk that run parallel to the streets for patrons walking to these businesses. the Parking garage could be better designed and put on the roof of the building with secure, camera monitored parking with security guards patroling.
But that was never possible here; the front of this property is behind two existing fast food restaurants and a church. With that in mind, I think building a two-story retail structure with a parking garage is a much better use of the property than what we could have seen (small building, huge surface parking lot) -- which is a lot more likely in this scenario than sidewalk-fronting retail with a parking garage on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon
We don't want something like Vets, but we do want their businesses. New Orleans is a big city (with a lot of vacant commercial property); it should have the national retailers that people expect. It doesn't make sense for people to drive out of the city into the suburbs and give Jefferson Parish our tax dollars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations