HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 4:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I actually shop at the Tchoupitoulas Walmart, and while it was pretty bad off for a couple years after Katrina, it's the best Walmart I've shopped at (I know that's not saying too much, but...). From time to time I go to the Harahan store, and it's far and away much worse. The parking lot is always covered in trash, the employees are crappy, and there are always insane lines. At Tchoupitoulas I'm consistently impressed with how friendly the employees are and how relatively clean the parking lot is. So as far as Walmarts go, we could have gotten much worse.

This new development just needs to be maintained. The garage could go horribly wrong, but hopefully they plan on lighting it well and keeping it tidy. And the thought of a City Target right there is super exciting. That's so close to me!
Agree with all the above. I have never really thought wal mart was a great store but the one on Tchoupitoulas is definitely above average for wal mart. I personally dont like the chain(no matter where it is) but Im glad to have it serving the city nonetheless.

Wendy's / New Orleans (Nice to see the Wendys on St Charles Avenue finally get upgraded

Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Private Thursday, December 20, 2012 Monday, January 21, 2013
Estimated Value*
$200,000.00
Address
1301 St. Charles Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Renovation a national chain restaurant in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of an existing national chain fast-food restaurant.

The owner has determined a list of select general contractors to bid on this project. Subcontractor bids are due to the GC Bidder(s) on December 20, 2012.*

Project Name: Electrical Wiring For Street Lights Along St. Charles Corridor
Description: Bids & Proposals PUBLIC NOTICE REGIONAL TRANSIT AUTHORITY ELECTRICAL WIRING FOR STREET LIGHTS ALONG ST. CHARLES CORRIDOR INVITATION FOR BID (IFB) #2012-009 Project Description: The New Orleans Regional Transit Authority invites qualified vendors to p...View complete details.
Building Use:
Roads / Highways
Start Date:
1/31/2013
Project Value:
Less Than $100k

A-Burger / Metairie

Private Monday, December 17, 2012 Thursday, January 17, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$269,000.00 1975
Address
3934 Veterans Memorial Blvd.
Metairie, LA 70006
Jefferson County
Description Site work, demolition and new construction of a restaurant in Metairie. Completed plans call for the demolition of an existing restaurant and the construction of a 1,975-square-foot fast food restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:52 AM
TL;DR

Thank god for that St Charles project. Streetlights are terrible all over the city but it's a big problem when the city's signature street is plunged in darkness for most of its length.

They should consider something innovative for those; the massive trees everywhere and the Mardi Gras parades really call for some kind of super-durable streetlight.

Wendy's is good too. That location is right outside my door, and the new prototypes are pretty spiffy.

Source

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wendy's is good too. That location is right outside my door, and the new prototypes are pretty spiffy.
What's the status of the Audubon Hotel renovations, just downriver of there? (Sorry it's obvious from driving by, but I don't live in New Orleans right now/haven't been down that part of St. Charles in a couple years) It will be nice when developers fill in some of the gaps on that part of the Avenue/Prytania (hopefully the Coliseum Square Association is in support of additional commercial/retail development in these few blocks?)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Thank god for that St Charles project. Streetlights are terrible all over the city but it's a big problem when the city's signature street is plunged in darkness for most of its length.

They should consider something innovative for those; the massive trees everywhere and the Mardi Gras parades really call for some kind of super-durable streetlight.

Source
A Wendy's on the Northshore was just renovated with the new look. I was shocked at how modern it was.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:56 PM
-

Millennium Health Care- Uptown Urgent Care

Private Tuesday, December 11, 2012 Monday, February 4, 2013
Estimated Value* Square Footage
$275,000.00 2498
Address
4605 Magazine St.
New Orleans, LA 70115
Orleans County
Description Tenant improvements for a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the build out of a 2,498-square-foot urgent care center

New Place called Atomic Burger(apparently will cook their burgers in some new way and use liquid nitrogen for there shakesl

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Also just realized that a-burger is the new name for what a burger lol
Just curious... how did you come to that conclusion? Are you talking about Texas based Whataburger? It is very much alive and well. Or is it a re-branding of the Virginia based What-A-Burger?

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Dec 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 9:00 PM

FQ Sushi Dance Club

A new City Business article mentions this but my membership expired and I did not renew. Anyone want to fill us in? It's in the D.H. Holmes article.

A high-end sushi restaurant and dance club is the latest in a cluster of renovations and expansions near the intersection of Iberville and Bourbon streets that are adding new flavors to French Quarter nightlife, hospitality and residential living.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz2F3uzcecJ

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:02 PM

Oakwood Center lands Dick's Sporting Goods

Oakwood Center lands Dick's Sporting Goods, multi-million dollar makeover

After bouncing back from Hurricane Katrina and a bankruptcy filing by its owners, Oakwood in Terrytown is getting a major boost with the addition of Dick's Sporting Goods to a long-shuttered section of the shopping mall. Dick's will build a 43,000-square-foot store in the old Mervyn's wing, which has been closed since the 2005 storm...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...medium=twitter

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Just curious... how did you come to that conclusion? Are you talking about Texas based Whataburger? It is very much alive and well. Or is it a re-branding of the Virginia based What-A-Burger?
Ok im wrong its a whole new store concept! Something called Atomic Burger.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ok im wrong its a whole new store concept! Something called Atomic Burger.
Looks like that is the old Pizza Hut just off Cleary.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 6:59 PM
-

Update on the riverwalk... I know they are 120% committed and still taking commitments and then will wean the tenants down to those they like. Will be less local stores than thought. Those will be pushed to carts if they stay at all. Mall will fully close right after superbowl and should be open by December if things go well but probably the next february.

I do know raising canes, byblos, Mooyah burger(?) are in the food court!

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 8:53 PM
TL;DR

Good... National retailers are something we don't have a lot of in the city. Hoping for an H&M.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 12:32 AM

What do yall think of thi proposed bar and restaurant (with 3 apartments) on Frenchmen. I like more developmen anywhere. The neighborhood seems to think that means "more like Bourbon" but I dont agree.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l#incart_river

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:24 AM

Jackson Avenue

I think Jackson Ave. between Magazine and the river is the most underdeveloped street in the entire city. So many large vacant lots and large abandoned buildings, and on such high ground. And it's not a significantly dangerous area. It's very convenient to downtown, Tchoup, Magazine. Plus, a lot of people drive past there on the way to Wal-Mart. Seems like businesses the size of Office Depot might be interested. Eventually single family homes will probably go up on some of those lots, and I hope we can stop any places like Wendy's from ever opening up around there. I think the whole street could be very nice or at least useful from a commerce standpoint someday ... it just might take a long time! Plus if the power plant is ever reveloped and we get the river park near there, it'll be higher profile. Thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:36 AM
TL;DR

I think Jackson Avenue should stay residential, maybe with a few corner stores, cafes, and coffee shops. Put the big-box retail closer to the power plant, where there are larger lots and plenty of ugly sheet-metal warehouses to demolish.

Jackson will take off eventually. That stretch of Magazine has upgraded significantly. What's holding it back is the massive, hulking Sarah Mayo medical center... tear that POS down and put up a multi-family complex like the new stuff on Tulane Ave. They can leave a corner of the site for a neighborhood medical clinic.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:13 AM

Quote:
tear that POS down and put up a multi-family complex like the new stuff on Tulane Ave. They can leave a corner of the site for a neighborhood medical clinic.
Yeah, I think you're right; those apartment buildings on Tulane Ave. would fit in quite well on Jackson Ave. I only said retail because one of those big lots used to be a grocery store, and retail might like to cluster near Wal-Mart. But yeah, you could probably build about 4 block-long apartment buildings around there. And there are several huge old brick warehouses that could be awesome if redeveloped, like the old brewery building. It's so desolate over there now though.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 5:28 AM

Quote:
I think Jackson Avenue should stay residential, maybe with a few corner stores, cafes, and coffee shops. Put the big-box retail closer to the power plant, where there are larger lots and plenty of ugly sheet-metal warehouses to demolish.

Jackson will take off eventually. That stretch of Magazine has upgraded significantly. What's holding it back is the massive, hulking Sarah Mayo medical center... tear that POS down and put up a multi-family complex like the new stuff on Tulane Ave. They can leave a corner of the site for a neighborhood medical clinic.
I agree. The LGD is becoming very hip right now. Every transplant I meet says that's their favorite neighborhood. Jackson Ave will mos definitely see some development in the coming years.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I agree. The LGD is becoming very hip right now. Every transplant I meet says that's their favorite neighborhood. Jackson Ave will mos definitely see some development in the coming years.
Proud resident...

Yeah, the LGD is basically becoming the go-to spot for young professionals who aren't so hipster it hurts, and don't care to live in the Bywater where there's little access to shopping or services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
Yeah, I think you're right; those apartment buildings on Tulane Ave. would fit in quite well on Jackson Ave. I only said retail because one of those big lots used to be a grocery store, and retail might like to cluster near Wal-Mart. But yeah, you could probably build about 4 block-long apartment buildings around there. And there are several huge old brick warehouses that could be awesome if redeveloped, like the old brewery building. It's so desolate over there now though.
You must have noticed the Josephine Lofts, right? It's progress, even if the little hat on top is ugly.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:23 PM
-

Well one good thing is Jackson Avenue is on the capital list projects to be completely resurfaced so that should help. I think when Charcoal Burger opens that will help too. There are a few problem buildings but that sara mayo thing is the big one. That alone could transform the whole stretch from Magazine to the river.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
I think Jackson Ave. between Magazine and the river is the most underdeveloped street in the entire city. So many large vacant lots and large abandoned buildings, and on such high ground...
Have you been to NO East?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations