HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Add these to the Kohls in Jones Valley and it certainly looks like we are turning a corner.

Update:That post has been pulled from the blog for some reason. He did say there were street access issues to work through before it could be finalized... Maybe he is just "saving it" for the Mayor to announce in his planned "Retail Development" meeting.
It had nothing to do with the next summit, scheduled for mid-March. Long story short, there was a request to take it off the blog, which was soon retracted. It's back on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox
I have to take back all of the positive comments about the city and county clearing the roadways after the snowfalls. This morning is a joke. The snow came early and the roads for the morning rush hour are closed or hazardous and should be closed. The same comments can go for the state also.

It is ridiculous to have the citizens and businesses impacted like this over a 2 inch snowfall.
It's 20 degrees outside. That's why there's more accidents today than during previous events.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhsv View Post
It had nothing to do with the next summit, scheduled for mid-March. Long story short, there was a request to take it off the blog, which was soon retracted. It's back on now.
No Problemo. Keep up the good work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 4:36 PM

Huntsville Airport update?

How is the Huntsville airport doing? I can't seem to find much information about HSV. I heard they where building a new baggage claim area. Looks like they are expecting more growth. Can someone post a link?

From what I hear, Airtran is doing better out of Huntsville. I looked a the flights to BWI today and next week and the seats look at least 50% sold. Any rumors of them flying directly to Atlanta?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 6:34 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Thanks. I know how to use the internet. I am looking for more information then just the HSV website. Huntsville doesn't have a business chronicle and the Huntsville Times is not the most informative newspaper (or at least the website isn't).

Just curious if there are any rumors, or personal experience on how Airtran is doing. Why is Huntsville expanding the airport, are they expecting more flights/growth?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:43 PM

Northern Bypass

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/02/...na=e_birm_rdup

Looks like construction should start soon on the norther bypass. I don't live in Huntsville, so I am not sure how much this will help.

I would like to see them 4-lane the AL-53 (Ardmore highway). With all the people that travel to Nashville, I am surprise it hasn't already been done.

Huntsville also needs a better route to Atlanta but I doubt that will happen before I die. The Atlanta-Memphis highway is all but dead. Rome, GA is building a bypass, so if Alabama could just build a bypass around Ft. Payne, it would make a huge difference.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
How is the Huntsville airport doing? I can't seem to find much information about HSV. I heard they where building a new baggage claim area. Looks like they are expecting more growth. Can someone post a link?

From what I hear, Airtran is doing better out of Huntsville. I looked a the flights to BWI today and next week and the seats look at least 50% sold. Any rumors of them flying directly to Atlanta?
In answer to your question about how the HSV Airport is doing overall, for the month of January, total traffic is up 7.9% over Jan. 2010 -
See http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/stats_hia.html

To get to the specifics of how AirTran is doing out of HSV, they had 10,683 passengers enplane or deplane during the month of January which gave thm 11.93% of the market. - See the monthly statistics at http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/documents/AirStat11.pdf

To give a comparison, United which has two flights a day to Denver, DEN, two a day to Chicago, ORD and three a day to Washinton, DCA had a total of 9,036 passengers. Keep in mind that United operates only commuter planes out of HSV and AirTran operates only 717's. However, it appears that AirTran may be doing better than they were in the summer.

One last word of caution, the business model for low fare carriers like AirTran -soon to be Southwest requires them to keep their planes close to 80% full which is higher than the mainline carriers.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 10:14 PM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
To get to the specifics of how AirTran is doing out of HSV, they had 10,683 passengers enplane or deplane during the month of January which gave thm 11.93% of the market. - See the monthly statistics at http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/documents/AirStat11.pdf
If they operated the scheduled amount of flights for the month (highly unlikely) there would have been a total of 21,762 available seats for the month.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:40 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post

Rendering for the Shoppes of Madison.
HUNTSVILLE, AL -- In his annual State of the City address tonight, Madison Mayor Paul Finley announced plans for a major new shopping center he said will bring the city a much-needed infusion of new tax revenue.
Speaking at the Davidson Center for Space Exploration at Connect 2011, a Madison Chamber of Commerce fundraiser, Finley told the 500-plus in attendance the Shoppes of Madison retail complex will be built on a 28-acre plot just east of the new Madison Hospital site on Balch Road, south of U.S. 72 and west of Wall Triana Highway.
The project, being developed by GBT Reality of Brentwood, Tenn., is rumored to include a regular Target and a couple dozen specialty shops and restaurants.
While Finley said he was not at liberty to reveal the retail anchor, immediately afterward, he said "the target date" for opening is summer of 2012, which drew a big round of applause and laughter.
Finley did promise the complex will include "something we do not have."
Madison already has a Super Walmart and Lowe's, and Home Depot in Huntsville sits near the city's limits, so that narrows down the field quite a bit. Many of GBT's developments include a regular or Super Target store.
Finley said other shops in the development will include a "major home decor" store, an apparel store and "sit-down restaurants."
He said the yet-to-be named retail giant alone is expected to bring in a minimum of around $400,000 in sales tax revenue for the city and that's not counting all the other spin-offs which are likely to spring up in the area.
The Madison Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously approved the certified plats and site plans at a meeting Thursday night despite some opposition from property owners who will be the most affected by the complex.
The plans will be brought before the Madison City Council at Monday's meeting. Construction is expected to start in March with a completion date of the summer of 2012, coinciding with the opening of the new high school and hospital.

Insanity Sportsplex may serve as convention center for Madison.
The mayor also announced a private business owner's plans to work with the city in offering a convention type center at Insanity Sportsplex on Hughes Road across from the new Hogan Family YMCA.
In addition to the skateboard park, the complex already has a 30-foot tall rock-climbing wall, and plans to include a 10-cage batting area, a two-story laser tag area, go-carts, and two roller rinks large enough accommodate big catered gatherings such as Connect 2011.
"We should be making announcements throughout the year," said Finley. "We take as much pride in this as the Shoppes of Madison. It will have an impact on our quality of life."
It is still uncertain how the land, which is owned by Madison Hospital, will be purchased for the Shoppes of Madison project, but Finley says they hope to bond it out for 12 years which will give the city a "immediate positive cash flow."
He said the city is providing a big incentive package, that will include the land, building infrastructure on U.S. 72 such as turn and deceleration lanes, traffic signals and other projects supported by the Department of Transportation.
Finley said of the top 20 sales tax producers in Madison, only four have been added since 2000. The city has grown by more than 13,000 residents since then if the 2010 Census numbers prove to be what Madison officials have projected at 43,000.
The deforestation of Madison County continues at a rapid pace. WHY do they have to remove the tree line? did anyone ask?
Madison's desperation for retail overrides any quality development.

At the public hearing Monday, three residents voiced their concern over several issues with the development, primarily the removal of the tree line along the back of the property, an increase in noise pollution and safety issues for the surrounding neighborhoods.

GBT Senior Vice president for development Craig Cole told residents he had made several changes in the original plans to accommodate the wishes of the residents, with the exception of the removal of most of the tree line.

Piss poor design equals piss poor development. They should be required to design around the trees and do everything possible not to impact the existing homes. Putting up a berm or wall with some Leyland Cypress from Home Depot
is not a solution.

idiots

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:47 PM

Quote:
The deforestation of Madison County continues at a rapid pace. WHY do they have to remove the tree line? did anyone ask?

At the public hearing Monday, three residents voiced their concern over several issues with the development, primarily the removal of the tree line along the back of the property, an increase in noise pollution and safety issues for the surrounding neighborhoods.

GBT Senior Vice president for development Craig Cole told residents he had made several changes in the original plans to accommodate the wishes of the residents, with the exception of the removal of most of the tree line.

Piss poor design equals piss poor development. They should be required to design around the trees and do everything possible not to impact the existing homes. Putting up a berm or wall with some Leyland Cypress from Home Depot
is not a solution.

idiots
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, maybe there's a perfectly good reason why. Maybe it is safety reasons or something like that.

But I would prefer the trees to stay if I had my druthers.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 3:43 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, maybe there's a perfectly good reason why. Maybe it is safety reasons or something like that.

But I would prefer the trees to stay if I had my druthers.
That may be true but they have not explained why as far as I know.
Many of these development could really be nice if they would design for the site and surroundings instead of for the automobile and security cameras.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:

is not a solution.

idiots
Perfect example of this is where the new Kroger is. No telling how many full grown hardwoods they destroyed to build it. They could have left a few close to the road instead of removing every last one of them.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
In answer to your question about how the HSV Airport is doing overall, for the month of January, total traffic is up 7.9% over Jan. 2010 -
See http://www.hsvairport.org/rc/stats_hia.html

To give a comparison, United which has two flights a day to Denver, DEN, two a day to Chicago, ORD and three a day to Washinton, DCA had a total of 9,036 passengers. Keep in mind that United operates only commuter planes out of HSV and AirTran operates only 717's. However, it appears that AirTran may be doing better than they were in the summer.

One last word of caution, the business model for low fare carriers like AirTran -soon to be Southwest requires them to keep their planes close to 80% full which is higher than the mainline carriers.
I noticed that Airtran flies direct flights to the 2 or the top 3 destinations out of HSV (according to the website).

Top O & D Markets - Third Quarter 2010 :
1. DCA (92,440 passengers)
2. MCO (49,599 passenger)
3. BWI (46,984)
4. LAX (33,948)
5. DFW (31,733)

I think Southwest comes in keeps the existing flights and adds either one additional flight to BNA or ATL for connecting destinations. According to the Airtran pilots, Southwest is going to be very aggressive out of Atlanta and focus more on the more profitable business travelers. HSV is mostly high paying business travelers, so I figure that is most likely next destination for them.

Southwest could even use the Orlando hub for other connecting destination if they move the flight times to later in the afternoon or earlier in the morning. Noon flight to Orlando is great for vacation travelers but not business travelers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Southwest to offer direct flights to Dallas Love field, but from my understanding there is some law in Dallas that limits the number of flights in and out of Love field. For example, Airtran will stop flying from Atlanta to Dallas completely for 1 year after merger do to some legal restriction.

Looks like Huntsville is supporting Airtran nicely. If it continues, then HSV has a bright future. No more driving to Nashville or Birmingham for cheaper flights.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 4:19 PM

Airtran U

FYI. Airtan has a program called Airtran U. If you are between 18-22 years old you can fly standby on any direct flight for $69 if there is seat.

http://www.airtranu.com/cheap-student-tickets.aspx

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
Looks like Huntsville is supporting Airtran nicely. If it continues, then HSV has a bright future. No more driving to Nashville or Birmingham for cheaper flights.
I prefer the AirTran flying experience to the Southwest experience. Any chance they keep them as different "brands" under the Southwest "umbrella"?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I prefer the AirTran flying experience to the Southwest experience. Any chance they keep them as different "brands" under the Southwest "umbrella"?
No. All AirTran planes will become Southwest planes in 2012. They will remove all first class seats from the planes. The good news is that the Southwest coach seats are bigger then most airlines coach seats.

There will be no assigned seats on the Southwest flights but if you make elite status then you can board first and you get a free drink on the flight. As an AirTran elite flier, I am going to miss the first class seats. I always got upgraded to any destination. It rare that you get upgrade on the Delta flights unless you make Gold status, even then it's very difficult.

Southwest has heaper cost, no change fee, better point system, and no check back fees.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:11 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Let the census debates begin!

Alabama figures from the 2010 census are due out this afternoon, and one set of numbers sure to be closely examined is the population of the state's "metropolitan areas." Projections last year had the Huntsville metropolitan area of Madison and Limestone counties growing at a rate some demographers said could push it past Mobile this decade to become the state's second-largest metro area.

Official census estimates released last year said Huntsville's metropolitan area grew by nearly 64,000 people in the past 10 years to top 400,000 for the first time. State experts called that "eye-popping" growth in the two-county metro area.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/02/...t_today_f.html

The estimates showed Huntsville's two-county metropolitan area population at 406,316, up from 342,376 in 2000. That's an increase of nearly 19 percent. By comparison, the state's other major metro areas had estimated 2009 populations as follows (2000 populations in parentheses for comparison):

Birmingham-Hoover: 1,131,070 (1,051,300)
Mobile: 411,721 (399,843)
Montgomery: 366,401 (346,522).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The story called Huntsville's potential gains "eye-popping" and I'm not sure if that's what we're gonna see. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I really think that any unexpected gains are gonna be seen around Mobile, Tuscaloosa, or Birmingham. I don't believe what Huntsville will see to be anything out of the ordinary, as we already expect to see the area gain large amounts of people.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:08 PM

Looking at CSA numbers (Madison, Morgan, Marshall, Limestone)

Madison: 334,811
Limestone: 82,782
Morgan: 119,490
Marshall: 93,019

For at total of 630,102. Not bad

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL View Post
Looking at CSA numbers (Madison, Morgan, Marshall, Limestone)

Madison: 334,811
Limestone: 82,782
Morgan: 119,490
Marshall: 93,019

For at total of 630,102. Not bad
Huntsville-Decatur CSA is Madison, Morgan, Limestone, and Lawrence. Marshall falls under the Albertville MicroSA.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast