HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Though I don't think it's bad, I think it would look better taller. This is how I wished this tower looked.

Wow! if only the construction costs weren't so high for a 1000 foot office tower

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That looks nice, is the logo on the other side or was it nixed?
Its more than likely on the other side facing the expressway

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 11:38 PM

IMO anything under ~1,100 ft is going to look short in this neighborhood due to the proximity of Sears/Willis, so it's not a bad idea for the developer to just stick with 715 ft and save some money. Look at the 1,007 ft Franklin Center and the 961 ft 311 South Wacker, which are Chicago's 6th and 8th tallest skyscrapers. Being right next to Sears/Willis, both look pitifully short.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:20 AM

I'm digging that fake supertall. Great job Goettsch

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:26 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
IMO anything under ~1,100 ft is going to look short in this neighborhood due to the proximity of Sears/Willis, so it's not a bad idea for the developer to just stick with 715 ft and save some money. Look at the 1,007 ft Franklin Center and the 961 ft 311 South Wacker, which are Chicago's 6th and 8th tallest skyscrapers. Being right next to Sears/Willis, both look pitifully short.
I have to respectfully disagree with that. Those two buildings provide good visual support to the much taller Sears in my opinion.

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:28 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I'm digging that fake supertall. Great job Goettsch
I never got into the architecture industry so I make up for it with half-assed photoshops.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with that. Those two buildings provide good visual support to the much taller Sears in my opinion.
Of course, they make Sears/Willis look great, but they themselves pale in comparison. I assume that most developers would want their own buildings to look good, not someone else's.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:11 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Of course, they make Sears/Willis look great, but they themselves pale in comparison. I assume that most developers would want their own buildings to look good, not someone else's.
I think if they had better designs they would stand out. To be honest they just aren't good looking towers. The Chrysler Building is a similar height. Put it in place of 311 S Wacker and I'm confident it would stand out.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 9:23 PM
Ω

The lobby looks absolutely beautiful and refined. The top... looks a bit boring.

Imo this is becoming a trend here. Really fascinating lobbies but meh towers above.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The lobby looks absolutely beautiful and refined. The top... looks a bit boring.

Imo this is becoming a trend here. Really fascinating lobbies but meh towers above.
I feel like the city has returned halfway to its Chicago School of Architecture fundamentals. Elaborate bases. Check. Vertical blocks. Check. If architects could only add some more flair to the crowns, we'll have come full circle.

On the one hand, I'm glad of the trend. Great architecture should be about more than just building tall spires and giant Matisse sculptures. The world has forgotten that to some degree, I think.

But on the other hand, local Chicago architecture hasn't pushed the boundaries in the opposite direction. There are fantastic lobbies coming online. Now, they need to focus on improving the design and even function of the topmost levels.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:00 PM
BANNED

^To your point, on this particular tower, the W action on the lower levels would look great if continued at the top few floors, as a crown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:13 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^To your point, on this particular tower, the W action on the lower levels would look great if continued at the top few floors, as a crown.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 11:14 PM

I cant wait for this tower to commence, going to have such a presence from the south and west

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
I cant wait for this tower to commence, going to have such a presence from the south and west
I agree. Sears/Willis looks so lonely in the skyline from the SW vantage point. It needs some "friends" to surround it to keep it company

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 2:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I agree. Sears/Willis looks so lonely in the skyline from the SW vantage point. It needs some "friends" to surround it to keep it company
this building will help a bit with that, but sears will still be more than twice as tall, so its "sore thumb" quality from the SW perspective will still be quite prominent.

i mean, 311 S wacker is roughly 250' taller than the proposed height of BMO, and sears still utterly dwarfs and dominates 311.

source: https://today.uic.edu/lecture-series...ampus/_mg_7273

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 25, 2019 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

^In addition to the bulkiness of the building itself, the antennae are also pretty big (fatter than the spires of, for example, Trump International and Two Prudential), so Sears/Willis looks more like ~1700 ft than 1451 ft. Its "lonely" and "sore thumb" qualities seen from the southwest will continue for a very long time.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Bombardier Probably will know!
Sorry for the delayed response, topic just came up in conversation this week! The contractor has been selected (Clark Construction) and key trade packages have been awarded. We will see construction commence on this in Q4 of this year.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 12:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, topic just came up in conversation this week! The contractor has been selected (Clark Construction) and key trade packages have been awarded. We will see construction commence on this in Q4 of this year.
Nice, thanks for updating.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
The contractor has been selected (Clark Construction)...
Riverside picking Clark for a Goettsch-designed building? This is shocking news!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 2:40 PM

I think once 601W starts developing some of the land they have been scooping up around the Old Post Office it should thicken the skyline from the SW. Cant wait until that starts happening, it looks very deserted now with all of the low rise warehouse type buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive