HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Ute View Post
I noticed some progress on a few projects this week:

1. Paperbox demo is nearly complete.
2. Soil samples were being taken in the area of the Gateway Hotel.
3. Soil samples were being taken at the Sears Lot.

Sears Lot? Interesting I wonder if that lot is close enough to the CBD to be some sort of highrise.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:24 PM

Sears block is probably too far from the CBD for high-rise development, but it's an area ripe for some mid-rise density.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:32 PM

On another note, has anybody heard any news on the Patrinely 650 S. Main development? I'm eager to get rid of some more massive parking lot space.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 9:40 PM

Does anyone know what the actual zoning is for the Sears Block?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:59 AM

It's zoned D-2 - "Downtown Support District".

"The purpose of the D-2 downtown support commercial district is to provide an area that fosters the development of a sustainable urban neighborhood that accommodates commercial, office, residential and other uses that relate to and support the central business district. Development within the D-2 downtown support commercial district is intended to be less intensive than that of the central business district, with high lot coverage and buildings placed close to the sidewalk."

D-2 has a maximum building height of 65 feet, and up to 120 feet with a CBSDR.

So basically unless we get a request for a rezoning, we're not seeing a high-rise there.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

3 residential projects in west Gateway + Depot District continue Downtown building boom

Luke Garrott Reports - Building Salt Lake, June 20, 2019 - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/3-r...building-boom/

Three modestly-sized residential developments in west Downtown – one under construction, one just approved, and another in preliminary stages – may portend the next wave of multi-family construction in this transitioning area.

With the imminent shuttering of the Road Home emergency shelter at 200 S. Rio Grande (450 West) and recent mega-developments along the park blocks on 500 West (Liberty Gateway and Alta Gateway), the neighborhood’s stigma seems ready to dissipate.

Casa Milagros Senior Living

On the 100 South block of 600 West, the Casa Milagros Senior Living project at Centro Civico Mexicano is looking ready to be framed.

Casa Milagros Senior Housing project under construction, center left. Centro Civico Mexicano, center right. Alta Gateway apartments, center, in grey and white. Photo by Luke Garrott.

CW Urban's "The Beverly"

Up the street at 45 South 600 West, CW Urban received approval by the Planning Commission this month to move forward on a 48-unit, market-rate condominium project named The Beverly.

Four buildings, each four stories, will barely reach the minimum height required by Gateway-Mixed Use zoning (45 feet). Like all proposed projects in this zone, the developer had to submit to a Conditional Building Site Design Review process...

Rendering for The Beverly, at 45 South 600 West, looking east. Image courtesy SLC public documents.

Future site of The Beverly at 45 South 600 West, to replace the three beige-colored buildings lower center. Liberty Gateway Apartments left center (white). Photo by Luke Garrott.

...The city will require the builders to include public art and a mid-block walkway along the eastern edge of their property. Benches will be placed at the south end of the walkway as it terminates at 100 South, immediately east of Futsal 801. The north end of the walkway will terminate in Gateway’s western surface parking lot fence...

Central Station

...As currently proposed, Central Station will provide 52 affordable units and 13 market-rate, details of which are yet to be determined. Gardiner Batt envisions a wide range of sizes, from studios to four-bedroom units.

The project will supply 34 parking stalls at ground level in its concrete podium, hidden from the street by common rooms for tenants and their leasing office. According to documents submitted to SLC Planning, the developers are committed to achieving both Enterprise Green Building Certification and an Energy Star rating...

Preliminary rendering of the Central Station mixed-income project in the Depot District. Image courtesy Architecture Belgique.

Central Station mixed-income residential site, at Thomas Electric Co., center (beige). Hong Kong Tea House is visible lower right. To the left is Artspace Bridge (green and red), with Artspace City Center and Macaroni Flats, center-left. SLC RDA owns the vacant lots, center-right, branded Station Center. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:06 PM
SLC Lifer

Fleet block

Fleet Block rezone open house is next Monday: https://www.slc.gov/planning/2019/06...-block-rezone/

Be interesting to see if they go all-in for CG or do the D-2 zigzag that makes no sense between 300 and 400 west. CG is much preferred as it is way more flexible. Or perhaps a new zoning?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 10:44 PM

Looking through the various codes, I really think Salt Lake City could do with a wholesale re-evaluation of height restrictions.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Looking through the various codes, I really think Salt Lake City could do with a wholesale re-evaluation of height restrictions.
The City Council has stated they would like to revisit the height limits before as they want to increase density and the heights are becoming more of a burden than originally anticipated. The height limits are also what is forcing buildings to be wide.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The City Council has stated they would like to revisit the height limits before as they want to increase density and the heights are becoming more of a burden than originally anticipated. The height limits are also what is forcing buildings to be wide.
I thought a lot of the taller (and wide-ish) buildings where in the “unlimited height” zoning? Is there something else at play in the zoning/coding rules that I’m unaware of?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
I thought a lot of the taller (and wide-ish) buildings where in the “unlimited height” zoning? Is there something else at play in the zoning/coding rules that I’m unaware of?
Many of the shorter, 6 story, buildings are built near the maximum zoning heights. The process to get the heights adjusted to allow for taller developments can take months. The Planning Commission has allowed some over height buildings but they are limited to the planning guidelines in the various master plans.

The City Council has talked about changing the height limits while also adding caps on the width of buildings. This would stop some of the near 600' walls from happening in other areas. They aren't worried so much about depth currently as they are already focused on mid-block walkways, those will help to limit the depth of the buildings into the block.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:06 AM

Ordinances for a maximum width limit and taller heights should really be done in tandem.

I hope that's next on their agenda after the parking policy overhaul. How many overly wide apartment complexes must we get before it's fixed?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:27 PM

Does anyone know when the groundbreaking will be for Liberty Sky?

I dont know whats taking so long!!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 3:00 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned so tossing it out there.

Another TOD is planned along the North Temple Trax line, the Esplanade Apartments:

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

It will be located here:

Hopefully we will get more information soon but I am not expecting anything special but I am happy that the area is now changing. While I did expect changes would happen closer to the 8th West station, this is between 2 stations and can help to push redevelopment of the area.

This may speed up if the City does select the Fairgrounds as a site for a Public Market.

Overall, I am hoping for 5 or 6 stories and around 150 units to help activate the area and push for more developments.

That and it is just over 1 mile south of where I live.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned so tossing it out there.

Another TOD is planned along the North Temple Trax line, the Esplanade Apartments:

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

It will be located here:

Hopefully we will get more information soon but I am not expecting anything special but I am happy that the area is now changing. While I did expect changes would happen closer to the 8th West station, this is between 2 stations and can help to push redevelopment of the area.

This may speed up if the City does select the Fairgrounds as a site for a Public Market.

Overall, I am hoping for 5 or 6 stories and around 150 units to help activate the area and push for more developments.

That and it is just over 1 mile south of where I live.
Four lots in that location totaling .5 acres for the Esplanade Apartments. Just to the south but mostly west of this location is a 9.45 acre site (Fairpark Commercial Condominium Owners Association listed as owners) that will hopefully be redeveloped into higher density commercial and/or residential. And just to the west of this property is the State owned "White Ballpark" property that I wish the state would sell to a quality commercial developer (adjacent to the Jordan River). All three locations directly south of the Fair Park across North Temple and TRAX and about 1/2 a block north of the proposed and evidently funded Folsom Trail which will connect Downtown directly to the Jordan River Trail.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:38 PM

Crane going up on The Exchange.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 7:47 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Preliminary rendering of the Central Station mixed-income project in the Depot District. Image courtesy Architecture Belgique.

Central Station mixed-income residential site, at Thomas Electric Co., center (beige). Hong Kong Tea House is visible lower right. To the left is Artspace Bridge (green and red), with Artspace City Center and Macaroni Flats, center-left. SLC RDA owns the vacant lots, center-right, branded Station Center. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Hopefully this is rejected and not built. It would be a shame to lose that cluster of historic buildings for a bland residential condo that could literally be developed anywhere else but there.

Salt Lake has far too few of these small commercial nodes and I love 'em, even if they're not pleasant to look at in their current state. I'd much rather they invest in renovating those buildings than demolishing them.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Hopefully this is rejected and not built. It would be a shame to lose that cluster of historic buildings for a bland residential condo that could literally be developed anywhere else but there.

Salt Lake has far too few of these small commercial nodes and I love 'em, even if they're not pleasant to look at in their current state. I'd much rather they invest in renovating those buildings than demolishing them.
Agree. This area will soon be surrounded by lackluster podium apartment buildings and sterile office buildings. Having something interesting in the center of it all would be very appreciated some day.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 8:13 AM

This is a case where you and I can be in some agreement Comrade. THOSE are old buildings with some real character, and those renderings don't inspire me with any confidence.

On an unrelated note, I'm finally a resident of Salt Lake City, just off of 1300 South. Just in time for the next mayoral election.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:09 PM

I would love it if the City could require the incorporation of the facades if nothing else to at least preserve something there since I doubt the City will require that the buildings be kept.

And Welcome to our newest City Resident Bob_Rulz.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West