HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 PM
Community Guy

New Monaco - peachland master plan

Very interesting

http://www.newmonaco.ca/plan

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:08 AM
Sebastian

im sorry, but if this is actually in any way shape-or-form serious, then it may be the stupidest thing ive read all year.

Quote:
Phased Growth: It is expected to take 12-15 years to develop New Monaco under reasonable economic conditions. Averaging about 200 units per year.
real life is not sim city...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisla_krakow View Post
im sorry, but if this is actually in any way shape-or-form serious, then it may be the stupidest thing ive read all year.

real life is not sim city...
You'll have to excuse me for missing the point of your post, but what exactly is so stupid about this?

The timeline makes a lot of sense. It's not a large area, but this is not some piece of cake construction project. I'm surprised anyone would even try to build on Drought Hill. Given the pace of construction on the Westside in similarly mountainous terrain (ie. SLOW), the steeper sections will take a long time to do.

I'm particularly impressed that they think they can build a potential connection to Highway 97 near the top of Drought Hill. It's gonna be damn crowded there, and it's already a pretty nasty section of road.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:22 AM
Sebastian

this, along with greg norman's new golf course development is going to radically change peachland. it's pretty much going to become a resort town for the elite only.
also, i dont really trust the earth there to support so much dense construction. it could create another summerland highway fiasco.
hate to be a NIMBY, but this would be suited much better elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:27 PM

There's no big history of landslides in Peachland. Very rocky there.

You're kidding yourself if you didn't think all cities in the Okanagan were going to start getting more high end residential popping up. Peachland has that secluded feel to it once you're off the highway, so I can see why they might try building there. It's a very stagnant town otherwise, and they need something to encourage growth.

Do you own a house in Peachland? Tough to be NIMBY when this development occurs away from pretty much the entire town at this point in time. If you're lucky they'll actually improve Highway 97 in the process of building this.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:26 PM
HVAC guru

High end homes are barely moving in the Okanagan right now.

And Peachland is in a wierd out of the way spot, so I guess this won't really affect anything (if it gets built at all) I really hate neighborhood with high concentrations of vacation homes. THey tend to be lifeless and the owners really don't contribute much to their immediate surroundings.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
High end homes are barely moving in the Okanagan right now.

And Peachland is in a wierd out of the way spot, so I guess this won't really affect anything (if it gets built at all) I really hate neighborhood with high concentrations of vacation homes. THey tend to be lifeless and the owners really don't contribute much to their immediate surroundings.
Yeah I'm aware of the sales problems. I imagine they can market the area to suit the economic conditions, and perhaps change some of the area to appeal to the average homebuyer than a vacationer. That and by time they get going on this full steam, who knows exactly where the market might stand?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:49 AM
is watching.

Quote:
this, along with greg norman's new golf course development is going to radically change peachland. it's pretty much going to become a resort town for the elite only.
also, i dont really trust the earth there to support so much dense construction. it could create another summerland highway fiasco.
hate to be a NIMBY, but this would be suited much better elsewhere.
don't worry. these folks are in over their heads and I don't believe even understand the region/terrain/market. even tho they have hired a couple of 'locals' LOL.

Even if any small part actually gets approved there is financing...can we say pipe dream. Never know, but I think its a non-starter.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 11:36 PM
Sebastian

well, it seems like the New Monaco idea isn't just a pipe dream:

http://peachland.ca/cms.asp?wpID=316

i had a city planner from the town come in and talk to my class and he spoke a lot about the development. turns out they're very serious, and very eager to listen to the general public. they've been speaking with geography/planning/sociology profs from ubc and ubc-o, as well as holding many public meetings.
the town does have many concerns about the impact on the slope and drainage issues, and mostly they have concerns about traffic flow with highway 97.

- 2800 residential units (~10% affordable housing)
- 255,000 sq ft of commercial
- medical research facility
- expand the bus routes from kelowna to peachland (for potential students)

my number one problem with this is still the fact that it will most likely be ultra-elite or strictly summer residents who will live/vacation there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:30 PM

Quote:
my number one problem with this is still the fact that it will most likely be ultra-elite or strictly summer residents who will live/vacation there.
After reading the more detailed reports in that link, I'd have to agree with you. When 2 out of 3 phases list "resort residential" and they gingerly step around detailing what kind of property they aim to include in those phases, you have reason to be concerned. It will be interesting to see if market forces change that into more affordable multi-family housing rather than vacation properties.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia