HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:08 PM

Yes the North side is much more attractive, in fact, I really like it. It has this really nice curve to it that you can really appreciate from Van Ness.

From Civic Center it does look a bit uninspired.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 6:36 PM

It looks like the parcel at Laguna between Fell and Oak should be moving forward sometime in the near future. Hopefully, the farm can find another vacant parcel nearby as it was a great addition to the neighborhood and one less blighted lot.

Quote:
Hayes Valley Farm forced to uproot due to condo plan in San Francisco neighborhood

Hayes Valley Farm will be vacating its home soon, but the urban oasis is not drying up.

Located on a 2-acre parcel at Laguna Street between Fell and Oak streets, the farm was notified in May that its temporary home would need to make way for a condo project, which is in early development stages.
Source and remainder of the article: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011...o-neighborhood

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:21 PM
Only Mostly Dead

This is Parcel P, which is "described in a notice that was distributed around the neighborhood as: one wood-framed, 5-story building with 182 units and 127 parking spaces" per the Hayes Valley Farm website.

Parcel P will be market rate housing. O is supposed to be 100% affordable housing.

The Market and Octavia Neighborhood Plan states: "the physical fabric of the surrounding residential district is extremely fine-grained, with small individual residential buildings on narrow lots. This pattern should be extended onto Parcels O and P, by subdividing it into narrow lots that reflect the prevailing 25-foot rhythm of parcels in the area, and encouraging the development of individual buildings on these lots."

A single wood-framed, 5-story building doesn't seem to match that requirement. Nor does it match Developer Build Inc's original plan to break the design up among various architects. Maybe they'll just use a facade to make it look like many smaller buildings. Can't wait to see some renderings.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 7:40 PM

Thanks for the info Peanut Gallery! This is pretty old but it's something:

http://www.buildinc.biz/projects/projects.php?cid=119

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 10:25 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Something like those renderings would be great!

I was driving past the PUC Building today and took a few more shots of the north side:

Looking at it from various angles, I'm a little disappointed. From the renderings I expected a sleek, elegant, attention-grabbing building. Instead, it feels a little squat and plain. It's not horrible or anything. But I thought it would be really sexy, not a wallflower.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

And while I was in the neighborhood, I spotted another construction site a couple of blocks away:

Sorry it's not a better shot but I basically pulled over, stuck my camera out the window and drove off. Anyway, it's going to be the Mary Helen Rogers Senior Community and will look like this (from the link):

It's architecturally nothing special, but what do you expect for low-income and homeless seniors? BTW, this is lot C from the former Central Freeway.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 3:28 AM

Thanks for all of the picture updates everyone. The PUC building looks fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 6:56 PM

Thanks for the shots!

I really like that North side of the PUC, I think it's a very nice touch to an otherwise ho-hum design.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2011, 6:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The re-cladding of 680 Folsom is back on:

Quote:

In 2010, an equity partner in the project deeded their interest in the building back to Wells Fargo but has since been replaced by Rockwood Capital. And now, TMG Partners is expected to start the $87 million renovation of 680/690 Folsom in two months.

The renovated building will yield 505,000 square feet of commercial space and a new public plaza on the corner of Folsom and Third streets, "where there eventually will be a new 15,000-square-foot retail or cultural building constructed" (see rendering above).
Source: SocketSite.

And according to JK Dineen at the San Francisco Business Times, that doesn't preclude the proposed Moscone East expansion:

Quote:
For several years TMG and city officials have been in negotiations over how 680 Folsom St. could be incorporated into the so-called Moscone East, a much needed expansion of the convention center underneath Third Street. For a while -- when the real estate market was ropes in 2009 and 2010 -- the city and TMG were talking about razing 680 Folsom St. and building a new complex that would include some convention center uses and a mix of other development.

But the 680 Folsom St. project is being built in a way that could accommodate an underground expansion. In addition, there are two other smaller buildings on the property -- 50 Hawthorne and 690 Folsom -- that could be incorporated into the Moscone expansion.
Source: Bizjournals.com.

JK Dineen's article has lots more interesting tidbits about the project, the broader SOMA office market and which companies are looking for space there right now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 9:47 PM

Something I saw on socketsite that seemed worth mentioning here:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:26 AM

According to Mission Local, the site at 1880 Mission aka Mission Gardens has been cleared. I'm not sure if this means construction is set to commence immediately but I won't be missing that building anytime soon.

Source: www.missionlocal.org

http://missionlocal.org/2011/10/mass...ts-demolished/

Some more info here and here.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 6:51 AM

I walked by it a couple weeks ago and it was all but gone, I was wondering what was going on there. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:55 PM

Noticed this on Socketsite, a potential new project near the Transbay project in SOMA.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 9:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^In case you're like me and forget what happened last week let alone what happened two months ago, that's the project we were talking about in July on page 154 of this thread. With four teams submitting bids and a minimum offer of $18M for the land, it sounds like the process should end up much better than the last time they tried this.

One other thing to note, I think this development will be the first to reflect the new vision for the Folsom streetscape with wider sidewalks, trees, etc. You can do a fly-through and see renderings under New Neighborhood on the Transbay Transit Center website.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
^In case you're like me and forget what happened last week let alone what happened two months ago, that's the project we were talking about in July on page 154 of this thread. With four teams submitting bids and a minimum offer of $18M for the land, it sounds like the process should end up much better than the last time they tried this.

One other thing to note, I think this development will be the first to reflect the new vision for the Folsom streetscape with wider sidewalks, trees, etc. You can do a fly-through and see renderings under New Neighborhood on the Transbay Transit Center website.
Very nice, thank you.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2011, 10:51 PM

Some more info about Parcel P by Avalon Bay and a few other projects in Hayes Valley:

Source:http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...eway-site.html

Quote:
AvalonBay has plan for old freeway site

AvalonBay is pushing into San Francisco’s Hayes Valley neighborhood with the pending acquisition of Parcel P, the largest of the city-owned sites along Octavia Boulevard freed up when the Central Freeway was knocked down.
The apartment real estate investment trust, which has built 800 units in Mission Bay and is developing projects in Mid-Market and on Ocean Avenue, injects fresh capital into a 50,000-square-foot site where the city hopes to see 180 units built. The developer is working with Build Inc., a Hayes Valley firm that won a design competition to develop the property four years ago...
And some renderings and more info about Parcel P:

http://www.kennerlyarchitecture.com/index2.html

A few highlights from the article:

Quote:
Pocket Development is planning to start construction in the first quarter on 401 Grove St.
401 Grove:

Source: http://www.dbarchitect.com/

Quote:
DM Development, which already owns two Hayes Valley sites with New York-based DDG Partners, has taken control of a third in the neighborhood: Octavia Gateway at 8 Octavia St., which is slated for 51 units. DM Development principal Mark MacDonald expects that 8 Octavia will be the first of the group’s trio of Hayes Valley projects to be built.
8 Octavia St.:

Source: http://assets.bizjournals.com/sanfra...ctavia.jpg?v=1

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 3:46 PM

Revised design for 1800 Van Ness...

Quote:
Once slated to become "The Sterling of San Francisco," an eight-story, 62-unit senior living community, the latest designs for 1800 Van Ness at Clay call for an eight-story, 94-unit mixed-use building over 95 parking spaces and 4,900 square feet of commercial space and a four-story, 4-unit residential building with 4 parking spaces on Washington.
Source and more info: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Source: www.socketsite.com

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Some more info about Parcel P by Avalon Bay and a few other projects in Hayes Valley:

Source:http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...eway-site.html

And some renderings and more info about Parcel P:

http://www.kennerlyarchitecture.com/index2.html

A few highlights from the article:

401 Grove:

Source: http://www.dbarchitect.com/

8 Octavia St.:

Source: http://assets.bizjournals.com/sanfra...ctavia.jpg?v=1
Exciting stuff, I didn't know anything was planned for that corner of Octavia, interesting. For a second I thought they were talking about the lot up the street on Market.

Seems like good news about 1800 VN too, the design grows on me.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 9:13 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's been so long, I had pretty much forgotten about 8 Octavia. Glad to see it's moving to the front burner.

And I love, love, love 1800 Van Ness. Much better than the previous design, IMO:

Source: SocketSite.

Not that I think the old one was bad; I just like the varied surfaces of the new one better.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 3:31 PM

New renderings and a groundbreaking for 1880 Mission:

Quote:
The site between Mission and Julian along 15th Street has been cleared, the design for the building has been redesigned, and today, the ground will officially be broken for 202 new rental units to rise at 1880 Mission

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations