HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 9:09 AM
Closed account

It would be an excellent candidate to locate in another city, if a museum had to be chosen. (Rather it than the portrait gallery)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

The Science and Tech museum belongs in Ottawa. We should be building a new facility in this town worthy of its title.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
The Science and Tech museum belongs in Ottawa. We should be building a new facility in this town worthy of its title.
Yes and yes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Embarrassing
The museum is the worst in Ottawa which is saying something. Tear it down and put it in a real, somewhat accessible place.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The museum in general is embarrassing. The last time I went there around four years ago there was a display proclaiming the CD-ROM as the pinnacle of human achievement in data storage.
Ouch.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I agree. The museum is doing the best that it can with terrible resources.

In Washington D.C. they have the wonderful Smithsonian complex, with 19 museums, 9 research centers, and affiliates around the world.

In contrast, we can't turn the abandoned U.S. embassy on Wellington into a museum -- Mayor Watson has said this building should become a Canadian Smithsonian -- or use the obvious space in Lebreton Flats to build a Science and Tech centre.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:33 PM

The museum has been housed in a former bakery for almost 50 years now, time to build a new one.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The museum in general is embarrassing. The last time I went there around four years ago there was a display proclaiming the CD-ROM as the pinnacle of human achievement in data storage.
I have never written an MP about any issue. Today i wrote my MP about the Science Museum. What has been allowed to not happen is a total disgrace and reflective of a developing nation, not a first world country.

This may sound a bit dramatic, but seriously-what message are we sending our youth? our tourists? Total embarrassment. How can the province of Ontario fund 2 amazing Science institutions (Ontario Science Centre and Science North) and the Government of Canada can only muster what we currently have?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:13 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

It's a matter of awareness and priorities ... squeaky wheel.

If the Feds receive enough pressure/incentive to escalate this file, they will.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:53 AM

That thing was a dump the last time I set foot in it 30 odd years ago. Thankfully, all the other museums of national importance in town are now up to date if not pretty awesome, such as the National Gallery. I'm quite optimistic that we'll see a new building for the science and tech museum pop up somewhere in Lebreton in the next decade.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 5:56 AM

It's a complete travesty. I would NEVER recommend a visit there to out of town friends. It's a national embarrassment and it needs to be replaced ASAP.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

For imagination’s sake, save the Science and Tech Museum

Emma Godmere, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 15, 2014, Last Updated: September 15, 2014 4:11 PM EDT

I stood in awe. I’d never before seen anything so large in such a small space. I craned my neck so far I bent backward, sizing up the gigantic steam locomotives that towered just past the Canada Science and Technology Museum’s entrance; they made the surrounding exhibits look like rooms in a dollhouse. Awe turned to anxiety as my imagination ran wild: could these trains spring to life, bowling over my seven-year-old frame, bursting through the museum’s walls, speeding toward St. Laurent Boulevard?

My father saw my face turning white and whisked me away to the radio and television exhibits; my unexpected introduction to the science of the world in which I immerse myself daily. My imagination ran a much less frightened course as I learned how voices and images are transmitted through the air. A new kind of awe rooted me to the spot. I daydreamed about working in media someday. Even standing among the trains, I was spellbound. I didn’t want to leave.

To anyone else, I was just another suburban Ottawa kid ambling around a museum on a quiet, admission-free evening. But what no one else could see was that I — along with hundreds, even thousands of unsuspecting students before and after me — was discovering a whole new dimension, one that computer screens and elementary school science classes could never quite reach.

Last week’s story that detailed the indefinite closure of the Science and Technology Museum due to mould contamination was hard to believe. Not because anyone thought that building could last forever — incredibly, its current location, an old bakery, was only meant to be a temporary home for the museum when it opened in 1967 — but because this better-than-a-classroom laboratory of learning has been cast aside for so long, left to cope with a crumbling building and no concrete plans for a brighter future. The museum is so despondent, and so desperate to hold on to what little infrastructure it currently has, that it effectively trashed its plans to seek out a new home and instead spend its limited funds on urgent building maintenance.

Meanwhile, the newly rebranded Canadian Museum of History enjoyed a $25-million investment from the federal government in 2012; the Canadian Museum of Nature concluded a spectacular renewal project in 2010, one that took six years and $216 million to accomplish; and the Canadian War Museum moved into its stately LeBreton Flats home in 2005, at a final cost of about $135 million. Of course, each was not without its issues: public criticism, government concerns and hefty price tags were only a few among many obstacles that set these projects back on several occasions. But now they stand before us, gleaming and new, ready to enjoy and explore, while its forgotten sibling remains stranded in a space unfit for use.

There is some hope: the National Capital Commission may soon be considering plans for new developments on LeBreton Flats, one of the oft-cited potential locations for a new Science and Technology Museum. And the Ottawa-area federal minister in charge of the NCC, John Baird, recently stated his support for a new museum — though he still quickly noted that, “obviously it’s a question of money.”

That pure, independent, curiosity-driven discovery that the Science and Technology Museum provides for a kid — especially a modern-day, Internet-burdened kid — is priceless. I was lucky that those trains never actually sprang to life. But my imagination did, in a way that it never quite has again in the time since I last walked through those derelict doors.

Emma Godmere is a writer, radio producer and host living in Toronto.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...nd-tech-museum

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:26 AM

I can't find the feasibility study that was done about a decade ago, but I recall when it came out that it was a huge number (for some reason $700M rings a bell). I think part of the problem is that a new museum is off the scale of what governments (of any political stripe) have been willing to pay for museums recently.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:18 AM

Could the private sector and donors help out? Maybe if they get enough donations, they could lower - or eliminate - admission costs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Museum mould repair likely to take weeks: Spokesman

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 16, 2014, Last Updated: September 16, 2014 11:54 AM EDT

Repairs at the Canada Science and Technology Museum will likely take a number of weeks, according to the first estimate since the building was evacuated last Thursday.

There’s still no formal time estimate. But on Tuesday, a museum spokesman contacted the Citizen by email to say that “we now know that the Museum will remain closed at least for a few weeks, although even that is tentative and may be revised going forward.”

The museum was already closed last week for annual maintenance, and should have reopened on Saturday.

But on Thursday, workers found mould inside the south wall of the building on St. Laurent Boulevard.

Air tests followed, and these showed mould levels were unacceptable. Mould is a health hazard that causes mainly respiratory problems.

Officially the museum remains closed “indefinitely.” Tuesday’s announcement is the first time management has given any indication of the expected time for repairs.

All staff remain out of the building. Repairs have not yet begun.

tspears@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...eeks-spokesman

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I can't find the feasibility study that was done about a decade ago, but I recall when it came out that it was a huge number (for some reason $700M rings a bell). I think part of the problem is that a new museum is off the scale of what governments (of any political stripe) have been willing to pay for museums recently.
I forget the exact numbers as well but this was exactly the problem. Those running the museum swung for the home run ball, instead of maybe asking for say $250m - $300m or something and making the design such that it is easily expandable later. A smaller number and the deal would have been much more likely to happen....right down to the smiling ministers cutting the ribbon.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:01 PM

If Trudeau gets elected in 2015, let's hope he takes from his father and builds up cultural institutions in the Federal Capital.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If Trudeau gets elected in 2015, let's hope he takes from his father and builds up cultural institutions in the Federal Capital.
... and that would most likely mean the Museum would move to Gatineau.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
... and that would most likely mean the Museum would move to Gatineau.
I'd say 50/50. Trudeau did build the national Art Gallery in Ottawa.

As much as I would prefer it stayed in Ottawa, Gatineau is a better alternative to moving it out west or spreading the collection across the country.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If he is like his father he will do nothing for cultural institutions in the capital for his first 14 years in office (minus the Joe Clark era) and then go nuts just before retirement and leave his successors with the bill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa