HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 5:32 AM

Victory University students fill Flats at Cotton Council
University leases building
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Last winter, developers announced a $5 million plan to transform the former National Cotton Council office building into upscale apartments and to market them particularly to students at Midtown colleges. But even as hammers flew, the fast-growing Victory University claimed all the building's 40 rooms and 120 beds for its students, leasing them for three years with an option to renew... In just the past year, Victory University has more than doubled its enrollment, from 906 students to 1,970. That beats the previous record high of 1,200 students in 2006 when the institution was called Crichton College, said Kenneth Kinney, Victory's director of marketing... The 60-year-old neoclassical building has just been listed on the National Register of Historic Places... He and Yandell still plan to build another 60 apartment units behind the existing building. "We wanted to catch our breath and let Victory move in and get settled," Glassell said. "We may crank into that the latter part of this year."
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ats-at-cotton/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 1, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 3:44 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^Nice to see that being used for something that will make money, but who the hell signs a three year lease?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 4:51 PM

Work Moves Forward on Midtown’s Chiwawa
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Plans are moving forward for Chiwawa, a Southern-inspired Mexican restaurant near Overton Square in Midtown that hopes to open this fall. A $347,257 permit was recently filed for Chiwawa’s renovations of the two-story, 3,196-square-foot building at 2059 Madison Ave. The space housed Chicago Pizza Factory in the 1980s and has been vacant since.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...towns-chiwawa/

Photo Courtesy of brg3s architects

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 5:49 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Work Moves Forward on Midtown’s Chiwawa
Memphis Daily News

Photo Courtesy of brg3s architects
Looks like a Planned Parenthood building... not a Mexican Food restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 6:01 PM

St. Jude moves forward with tower addition
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital filed a $92.6 million building permit on Sept. 5 to add to the hospital’s on-site Chili’s Care Center, according to filings from Shelby County Code Enforcement. The filing is part of the hospital’s $190 million, nine-story medical tower project that was announced in May 2011.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ith-tower.html

COURTESY ST. JUDE CHILDREN'S RESEARCH HOSPITAL

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Sep 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 7:45 PM

Downtown redevelopment surges south with Crescent Bluff
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
The extension of Downtown redevelopment has just leapfrogged to the core district's southern edge, skipping over several blighted, overgrown blocks and greasing the way for others to fill in the gap. The $7 million Crescent Bluff Apartments rise like an urban oasis on 3.5 acres at the northeast corner of Crump and Florida, surrounded on three sides by the vacant buildings and weedy lots typical of the inner-city's distressed districts.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...th-with-bluff/

Photo by Nikki Boertman, The Commercial Appeal

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Sep 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 10:16 PM

Germantown targets economic development efforts in 300-acre parcel near 385 corridor
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Class A space is hard enough to come by, especially along the sought-after Poplar and 385 corridors. Thanks to a $51,000 allocation of economic development funding from the Memphis Fast Forward Steering Committee, however, the newly formed Germantown Chamber Economic Development Partnership has an ace in the hole. It’s marketing prime commercial space at the core of its new development initiative.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...-economic.html

LEE SWETS | MBJ

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 10:29 PM

I've checked the USFL's new website and it says that play is on for spring/ summer 2013. Now, let's get this college football program rebuilt and I'd hope for better recruits as all University Of Memphis sports goes Big East Conference next year.

Liberty Bowl puts best foot forward
Improvements could affect future of annual bowl game
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The 2012 football season marks the beginning of a transition for Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and its tenants. Earlier this year, the stadium received $6.5 million in improvements including lighting upgrades, a new sound system, improved playing surface and a $2.5 million jumbotron.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...t-forward.html

JOE MURPHY | UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 10:45 PM

the CA seems to write the negative and dwell on it, before they give you the positive story, which you generally have to pick out of the second round of negatives, before the article closes.

the lebonheur article is a bit confusing to me. the building under construction now---that will be connected by the atrium is a 7 story building. it is to house research and the proton machine. is the 9 story building just an addition to the chili's care center? the one that is on camera now is a separate building, is it not?

as for people needed downtown, the projections were supposedly 33,000 by 2013. about 7 or 8 months ago, the alleged hard number, according to housing, was some 22+ thousand. it baffles me that the downtown organization, which predicts and publishes these figures----some five and six years ago---fail to keep an update to the information. for instance, it was said that there were 3800+ on the island last year. a few weeks ago the number was 6,118.

i'm glad to hear the positive news about u of m. i have no idea how much money it brings to the school, but i know it usually is high, and i think these programs, though i'm no sports person, lends important cohesiveness to all of the school and memphis. so congratulations. btw, i was looking at the u of m master plan a day or two ago, and it was a bit confusing, but interesting. there is also an updated version on line.

Last edited by kingchef; Sep 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
the lebonheur article is a bit confusing to me. the building under construction now---that will be connected by the atrium is a 7 story building. it is to house research and the proton machine. is the 9 story building just an addition to the chili's care center? the one that is on camera now is a separate building, is it not?
St.Jude, rather. I was confused by a bit in the Memphis Daily News that made it almost sound like the originally proposed 7-story "twin" connected on all floors by ground-to-roof skywalk + another 9 stories on top of the Chili's Care Center bringing it to 15 or 16 stories. I changed the post to the Memphis Biz Journal's coverage of the pulled permit. It basically says it's the same proposed addition, but I guess it grew from 7 to 9 stories.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 11:44 PM

Memphis competing with Austin for manufacturing facility, 276 jobs
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
The City of Austin, Texas, has presented a package of incentives to lure tech company HID Global Corp. to the area, but a newspaper report claims Memphis to also be in the running for the new facility. Irvine, Calif.-based HID would invest $36 million to build a 200,000-square-foot manufacturing and distribution facility.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...ustin-for.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 12:03 PM

Hello all! I'm Trevor. I've lived in Southaven, MS for all of my life, but "as the crow flies", I'm pretty much in Memphis (only 3 minutes from the city limit).

I'll start by asking this: what happened to One Beale? Did it fall through or is it being brought back up? I've seen things that say both.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 3:08 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Glad you're here Trevor!

As far as One Beale, its dead and has been for the past two or three years. The housing crash and recession killed it pretty much. The rental market is doing well now, and the housing market in general is starting to pick back up, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some new residential development proposed downtown in the next year or so, just nothing quite to the scale of One Beale. Do you have the date or link to where you read otherwise on One Beale?

Here is an original rendering:

(From Wikipedia)

Then the redesign into two towers, which was pretty awesome.

From Paradigm

When the economy tanked, I believe the design was split into three phases, residences, hotel, and then either an office tower or a combination of more residences and an office tower. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

The first phase was to look like the small 15 floor tower that is in the background of the first rendering.

On a side not, its a shame the market crashed when it did. We missed out on One Beale, The Vue on Main, and The Trinity Tower, but we could have also had something like the Horizon happen downtown or West End Summit in Nashville had they started construction anyways.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett View Post
What happened to One Beale? Did it fall through or is it being brought back up? I've seen things that say both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
As far as One Beale, its dead and has been for the past two or three years. The housing crash and recession killed it pretty much. The rental market is doing well now, and the housing market in general is starting to pick back up, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some new residential development proposed downtown in the next year or so, just nothing quite to the scale of One Beale. Do you have the date or link to where you read otherwise on One Beale?
I would consider the original proposals dead, but according to Carlisle Corp.'s last public statement about the development (known to me) there will be a future proposal for "One Beale". Gene Carlisle moved his HQ out of the Peabody Place Tower, had the chance to move to Olive Branch with incentives and chose to stay on his downtown land. The former One Beale sales center was renovated & expanded into the Carlisle Corp.'s HQ with hope that he would be able to demolish it and break ground on something "striking" when market & lending conditions allow.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:28 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
I would consider the original proposals dead, but according to Carlisle Corp.'s last public statement about the development (known to me) there will be a future proposal for "One Beale". Gene Carlisle moved his HQ out of the Peabody Place Tower, had the chance to move to Olive Branch with incentives and chose to stay on his downtown land. The former One Beale sales center was renovated & expanded into the Carlisle Corp.'s HQ with hope that he would be able to demolish it and break ground on something "striking" when market & lending conditions allow.
Do you have an idea on what the demand is downtown for rental and condo units and what percentage is occupied? That is a prime piece of real estate, hopefully something nice will be proposed and built there; hopefully nothing remotely similar to the Horizon.

If the need is there for rental and condo units this would be the time for some developer to step up to the plate and get a hotel on board with 300 or so rooms, especially around Beale Street since the Hilton and whoever else are facing their various problems.

Its just hard for me to think that a tower would be proposed in the next 5 to 10 years. Having an anchor commercial tenant is almost key and there's too many proposals of new, cheaper office space out east. I guess that's why being able to fill a 400' tower with almost all residential and hotel space is probably one of the only scenarios of a new tower being built anytime soon.

Last edited by arkitekte; Sep 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 9:29 PM

jr, sorry about my mistyped lebonheur, which, as you corrected, was st. jude. i actually went back to your previous post of a year ago to get the answer to my question. lol, sometimes i would be completely confused, if it weren't for your compilations and rundowns. they really are helpful and well done. i love the one that i reviewed last night, and several times before, dealing w/ memphis' urban fabric and your provision of photos and explanations. that is a great post. i would like to see something from the three mile stretch in north memphis along the river down to at least the airport and "airport city." that area, even though some of it is a mess, has a plan, and even though it is slowly coming about, until now, it is going to happen. the bad publicity a few months ago probably helped get things cohesively rolling.

back to st. jude, i am glad to see that it is a 9 story buiding. word is that there is another huge building project coming w/in a year or two. too, that price tag seemed up there for a relatively small building---192 million. i was also confused w/ the buiding shapes, colors, and floor count that appeared on the cam. they are completely different. it would seem that a campus that large would need a 16-22 story building, w/ all of the coming research and research staff.

i think jr's wording is accurate. the first proposals are "dead". i simply don't remember that second presentation, but it is much nicer in concept than the first. according to the company, the project is "shelved" until the economy picks up. of course, as is the case w/ every major u.s. city, most city governments end their statements concerning city projects and future progress w/ the statement, "these projects have been "killed" or "shelved" "put on hold" or "abandoned" until if or when the economy picks up." interestingly, memphis seems to have done pretty well w/ combined public/private construction, as of yesterday, i counted up 62 under construction projects in memphis-shelby county. i did not count any that are planned, but are awaiting funding or partial funding, such as the hilton, etc. if any one in the current administration in washington wanted to know what most americans already know about the economy---w/ the exception of chicago and possibly new york city, all one has to do is read business journals, construction magazines, and newspapers, and all will state the obvious "...due to a sluggish economy, recovery, or stalled economy..."

the carlisle movement happened, as jr said, because of the move from peabody place, and the need for a new headquarters. from beginning to end, it was to serve about a seven year purpose. afterwards, the building would be razed to make way for the beale street project. of course, he knows his business better than i, however, i would see this as an odd way to do business. tearing down a virtually new building to build a skyscraper might be much more profitable, but he got some tax breaks, along w/ a bunch of others. again, however, he insists that one beale will rise. we'll see. finally, one last point, i think we have gone a bit overboard w/ the parks, greenspaces, etc. on the riverfront. i have mixed feelings about the memphis sign. why store it? put it up in the beale street entertainment district, put it out by the airport, or put it in midtown. the bins i don't have so much to complain about. they aren't very attractive, as they don't come off like the 240 ho , but another greenspace, really? and, i promise, my last gripe. while i am very much about adaptive reuse of buildings, while i like the sight of new skyscrapers (and i would like to see the vue, trinity place, blauff haus, one beale, st. mary tower, and the marriott add the proposed 10 stories to the main hotel, and see a serious look at expanding buildings vertically, instead of taking up huge acres of ground) i fail to see why public money is paying to purchase stainless kitchen amenities, flat screen tv's, and some of the other things for students in college. this kind of thing is what really upsets many of us who are paying for it.

Last edited by kingchef; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Do you have an idea on what the demand is downtown for rental and condo units and what percentage is occupied?... If the need is there for rental and condo units this would be the time for some developer to step up to the plate and get a hotel on board with 300 or so rooms, especially around Beale Street since the Hilton and whoever else are facing their various problems... Its just hard for me to think that a tower would be proposed in the next 5 to 10 years. Having an anchor commercial tenant is almost key and there's too many proposals of new, cheaper office space out east. I guess that's why being able to fill a 400' tower with almost all residential and hotel space is probably one of the only scenarios of a new tower being built anytime soon.
No, unfortunately I'm not aware of current numbers, neither am I aware of Mr. Carlisle's threshold for building a tower... I always wondered the effects of the proposed Hilton with the similar "first phase" of his project (the to-be-hotel behind the main tower)... I'm sure he could add some Prime Class A to the overall mix, but no majority on the previous scale. Not to mention, one of the last proposals they actively tried to break ground with was rumored to be a back-to-single tower design that was 50 - 60 stories. His attitude towards the development, holding out on the land, etc. seems to be that he'd like to make his mark visible amongst the Downtown skyline.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 4:12 AM

Quote:
No, unfortunately I'm not aware of current numbers, neither am I aware of Mr. Carlisle's threshold for building a tower... I always wondered the effects of the proposed Hilton with the similar "first phase" of his project (the to-be-hotel behind the main tower)... I'm sure he could add some Prime Class A to the overall mix, but no majority on the previous scale. Not to mention, one of the last proposals they actively tried to break ground with was rumored to be a back-to-single tower design that was 50 - 60 stories. His attitude towards the development, holding out on the land, etc. seems to be that he'd like to make his mark visible amongst the Downtown skyline.
I don't blame Mr. Carlisle in going for the "wait and see" approach as far as One Beale is concerned. If memory serves me correctly, the project was supposed to take up just the space next to where their current headquarters are located (the vacant lot where No. 1 Beale used to be before it was razed). That and the Carlisle HQ space combined take up a large swath of riverfront property encompassing two city blocks, so there's always the possibility that even if the One Beale project doesn't come to fruition as planned, the land could be used for two or three different developments or one large mega-project along the river bluff.

In terms of the on-site hotel, a Hyatt Regency was supposed to anchor the development before the economy stalled those plans. Whether or not Hyatt is still on board remains to be seen.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 12:27 AM

ark, i think you can find the breakdown of the information you want about downtown residential space, the numbers of condominiums, rentals, and free standing residential homes, in addition to predictions under the 2010 report---if not the 2009---published by the (at the time) downtown city development council. it, of course, was before jeff stanford left and the name change. i would be glad to give you the address, but i have cleaned up my borrowed computer, and i don't have it saved on my work computer; however, it is cached. it is fairly extensive, as it includes the numbers required for housing through 2013, etc. perhaps the redevelopment corporation for downtown would have a copy in their files. they have always been helpful to me and to others. give it a try, and i will try another source. btw, i was happy to hear about the possible austin-memphis compete. i'm not sure this is the same deal my brother told me about several months back, as it was my understanding that company was based in dallas, and the number of employees was considerably larger, but it did involve the move of the entire headquarters. i hope it happens, preferably for memphis.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:50 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
ark, i think you can find the breakdown of the information you want about downtown residential space, the numbers of condominiums, rentals, and free standing residential homes, in addition to predictions under the 2010 report---if not the 2009---published by the (at the time) downtown city development council. it, of course, was before jeff stanford left and the name change. i would be glad to give you the address, but i have cleaned up my borrowed computer, and i don't have it saved on my work computer; however, it is cached. it is fairly extensive, as it includes the numbers required for housing through 2013, etc. perhaps the redevelopment corporation for downtown would have a copy in their files. they have always been helpful to me and to others. give it a try, and i will try another source. btw, i was happy to hear about the possible austin-memphis compete. i'm not sure this is the same deal my brother told me about several months back, as it was my understanding that company was based in dallas, and the number of employees was considerably larger, but it did involve the move of the entire headquarters. i hope it happens, preferably for memphis.
Lol, I guess I could walk down the hall and ask a few questions, or across the plaza to the Downtown Memphis Commission; I guess that gives away where I work now. lol I just didn't know if there were any articles/ projected occupancy/ current occupancy that had been published by the MBJ or Daily News.

But yeah Chef, when you find that article, post it here for others to see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations