HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 11:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Development controversy continues as vote goes against plan for former Westboro convent

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: August 2, 2018

The old Westboro convent is still at the centre of a development controversy, with the owner on Thursday failing to win approval from the city’s heritage panel for a repair-and-redevelopment scheme.

Ashcroft Homes’ proposal to tear down part of the convent, fix up the rest and connect into a new nine-storey residential complex has heritage advocates decrying the loss of history and the community association skeptical that commercial tenants will be viable in a boxed-in location at 114 Richmond Rd.

The developer wants to remove the west wing of the heritage building and plug the remaining structure into a proposed nine-storey, L-shaped residential building.

In a 4-2 vote, the built-heritage subcommittee recommended rejecting the plan after members expressed concerns about the lopsided relationship between the convent and the proposed nine-storey building. The four opposing members were Barry Padolsky, Carolyn Quinn, Sandy Smallwood and Coun. Catherine McKenney. Councillors Tobi Nussbaum and Marianne Wilkinson supported Ashcroft’s plan.

It hasn’t been easy for Ashcroft to find a solution for the convent. The company’s architectural consultant, Rod Lahey, who has worked on the scheme for eight years, called it an “interesting journey.”

“I would like to see this put to bed as much as anybody around here,” Lahey told the subcommittee.

Lahey said the proposed nine-storey building would have a reduced density compared to previous plans, but opponents still worry about the size.

Linda Hoad, representing Heritage Ottawa, said the convent would be “overwhelmed” by an attached nine-storey building.

In addition to residential units, the developer has been considering commercial uses inside the heritage building, such as restaurants or a bed and breakfast.

Lorne Cutler, president of the Hampton Iona Community Group, questioned how successful a restaurant or café would be if the heritage building is largely out of the public’s eye. The neighbourhood still wonders about the developer’s commitment to including a “community use” inside the heritage building, he said.

The property was previously owned by the cloistered order, Les Soeurs de la Visitation. The stone structure dates back to the 1860s and the wings were added in 1913.

The city moved quickly to give the building heritage protection when the property went on the market in 2009. Ashcroft scooped it up, but it meant keeping the convent. Council approved the property’s rezoning in 2010. Ashcroft has so far built nine-storey condo buildings with commercial ground floors along Richmond Road, cutting off views to the heritage building from the main street. More development is planned for the south portion of the site.

It has been among Ottawa’s hottest planning files in the last decade. One could argue the development is one of the central reasons why the ward is on its third councillor in three terms since the start of the planning process.

“The community anger is still there,” said Coun. Jeff Leiper, who now represents the ward. “This development probably should never have been approved in its current form.”

Leiper urged the subcommittee to vote against Ashcroft’s plan, hoping to buy more time to come up with an alternative before the planning committee considers the file on Aug. 28.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...stboro-convent

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 1:54 PM

Yet another Ottawa project created without passion. The convent is such a beautiful building and they decide to hide it behind the 3 buildings on Richmond. This heap has been doomed from the time those were built. Now the idea is to cut the building and impose a large rectangle on top. "Forget about the convent; look at all these other horrible money-making buildings instead." Is basically what this project is doing.

In my opinion, this project should go back to the drawing board. I'm glad to hear the city isn't letting it slip.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckinsky View Post
Yet another Ottawa project created without passion. The convent is such a beautiful building and they decide to hide it behind the 3 buildings on Richmond. This heap has been doomed from the time those were built. Now the idea is to cut the building and impose a large rectangle on top. "Forget about the convent; look at all these other horrible money-making buildings instead." Is basically what this project is doing.

In my opinion, this project should go back to the drawing board. I'm glad to hear the city isn't letting it slip.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:47 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What happened at Ottawa city council: 'Gateway' speed limit signs get green light

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: August 29, 2018

<snip>

Convent design gets blessing

A new design for the next phase of development on the old Westboro convent property has received council’s blessing.

Ashcroft’s previous plan to link the heritage convent building with a future nine-storey building was rejected by the built-heritage subcommittee earlier this month. Members on the subcommittee were worried the new building would overwhelm the convent, which would be partially demolished and fixed up.

Since then, the developer has revised the plans so the glass link is lower than the historic building. The mass of the new building has also been reduced slightly and separated from the heritage convent. There would be a gradual increase in height from the convent to the new building.

Les Soeurs de la Visitation, a cloistered order, previously owned the property. The stone convent structure, which is behind Ashcroft’s nine-storey condo building built along Richmond Road, dates back to the 1860s and the wings were added in 1913.

<snip>

mpearson@postmedia.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...et-green-light

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here are the latest updated renderings:

from: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/item.aspx?itemid=376522

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 1:28 PM

Aren't the already existing QWest condos half empty? As well as the ones across the street? It always seems like a ghost town when I'm down there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Aren't the already existing QWest condos half empty? As well as the ones across the street? It always seems like a ghost town when I'm down there.
Yeah I have a buddy who just started renting a 2 bedroom unit in QWest that has never been occupied. At least half of his floor is empty units, and the building is in ROUGH shape. The one that really got me is their garbage/recycling is actually just two parking spots in the dead centre of the P1. The entire parking garage REEKS, and it's always a mad dash from the car to the elevator lobby while holding your breath. There is also a fire stairway in the building with a hole in the riser so big I can fit my arm through to the stairs below. Needless to say he is looking for another rental option.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:32 PM

Comparison. One window additional step-backs on the convent side on the third and eighth floors and larger balconies between. Virtually f**k all.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Yeah I have a buddy who just started renting a 2 bedroom unit in QWest that has never been occupied. At least half of his floor is empty units, and the building is in ROUGH shape. The one that really got me is their garbage/recycling is actually just two parking spots in the dead centre of the P1. The entire parking garage REEKS, and it's always a mad dash from the car to the elevator lobby while holding your breath. There is also a fire stairway in the building with a hole in the riser so big I can fit my arm through to the stairs below. Needless to say he is looking for another rental option.
I have to agree with your assessment. I visited 3 units for sale in this building a few months ago when we were house-hunting and the experience left me wondering if condo living would ever be an option for me.

I have never lived in a condo before (I did live in an apartment in a building but we were renting at the time) so I tried to keep an open mind but this building and the units within it left a lot to be desired for, to put it mildly.

I hope your buddy finds a new rental place soon.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:02 PM
Kickass User

Monocle is 35% sold. Construction is set to begin this spring with occupancy expected for spring 2021.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:55 PM
Kickass User

Few updates:
- Monocle is now roughly 40% sold
- They have pushed occupancy back until 2023(?) to push the new convent condo building

- Unnamed condo (renderings above) will be hopefully launched late October
- Nine floors, 150ish units
- Lowest floors will be made up of 40ish executive rentals
- Floor 9, and maybe 8, will be a "mini-Monocle" with higher quality finishes and 10ft ceilings
- Late 2021 occupancy!
- Pricing set to launch at an average of $650/sqft

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:59 AM
National Capital Region

Site plan application for building beside convent posted, the Unnamed Condo referenced by Matt above.
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A1FW9G

The site plan is for Buildings 6/7 below, Monocle is further south,

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 1:33 PM

Based on the original concept and renderings, I was excited about this one years ago, but seeing it today, it's a truly terrible project. That and the other blocks built by Ashcroft all around.

And the Convent, wow!! They cashed in with the three missive condo buildings but have done NOTHING with the Convent thus far. Another demolition by neglect waiting to happen, and not the first in Ashcroft's portfolio

The City should have placed strict timelines on the Convent's restoration and penalties for not restoring it within those timelines.

Claridge has often been the black sheep of the forum, but Ashcroft may be worse.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2021, 3:13 PM

Looking at how unstable the convent is, it's basically a rebuild along the entire north and west elevations, and then fully replace all the windows and roofing and interior, and what are you left with?

Considering the costs will be $15-20M for the renovation, I'm not surprised the developer hasn't even tried to touch this.

I just hope it doesn't collapse on some kids or dog walkers who regularly 'break in' to the site to walk around back. Also one of the walls is only like 15 feet from the condo building, so some stones flying through a living room window would probably get people's attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Based on the original concept and renderings, I was excited about this one years ago, but seeing it today, it's a truly terrible project. That and the other blocks built by Ashcroft all around.

And the Convent, wow!! They cashed in with the three missive condo buildings but have done NOTHING with the Convent thus far. Another demolition by neglect waiting to happen, and not the first in Ashcroft's portfolio

The City should have placed strict timelines on the Convent's restoration and penalties for not restoring it within those timelines.

Claridge has often been the black sheep of the forum, but Ashcroft may be worse.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 2:15 PM

New documents on devapps.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...8-0080/details

Largely unchanged from before.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
New documents on devapps.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...8-0080/details

Largely unchanged from before.
Are they asking to tear down more of the convent because "gee whiz! we've done nothing to maintain it and it's falling apart! We don't understand!! Oh well.".

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 4:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:38 PM

Still not a big fan....it just feels disjointed and the condos are plunked in there to maximize the land and they fail to highlight the convent. I'm looking at all the renderings of the historic yard and the viewpoints of the condos and am trying to think of alternative materials or forms that would permit better integration. Coming up with not much. There is so much bulk being added to the site - the west side is pretty much another wall. Maybe it's all the shades of gray that are just setting the tone? Perhaps some colour choices like Dream in Lebreton Flats for one of the buildings? Or, mirror glass facing the condo? dunno. It needs something though.

Pages 23-26 of this doc for renderings:
https://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_I...gn%20Brief.PDF

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:37 PM

It's quite terrible. Just waiting for them to say "ooops, the convent is not structurally sound, we have to demolish".

Ashcroft has an absolute piss-poor heritage record, between this, Re and the old school board building on Gilmore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa