HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:17 PM

Of course. Government control and bureaucracy means endless study and no progress. There will be endless studies to simply name every building and street as trilingual, French, English and Algonquian. Because that is impossible, that is why we need another study.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I was talking to our building manager at Tunney's (I work there) and he was telling me about some of the buildings that are scheduled for demolition. One has already come down and prep work has begun on another two. I marked these buildings with arrows on the image below.

green arrow: this one was taken down in April/May and turfed over. I should go for a walk and take a picture.

red arrow: this part of this large building is scheduled for demolition for this fall. They had to install new above ground hydro wires to power the rest of the building because, apparently, the main power distribution came through this end.

pink arrow: this one is also schedule for this fall (apparently). Bell was there for weeks in the spring this year rerouting telephone lines because, apparently, all of the phone lines for Tunney's run through the basement of this building.

blue arrow: this one is to be torn down after DND vacates and moves to the new complex on Moodie, which should be within the next year or two.

yellow arrow: the maintenance guy said this one is the only other one with imminent plans of demolition, but he didn't know the timeline.

From post 142 of this thread
Fencing has been put up around the General Records Center (red arrow) with Delsan Demolition branding on the fence. An email was also sent to all staff regarding this "deconstruction". This one is a sure thing now. Here's a picture from today

Photo credit: me. Use as you wish.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Fencing has been put up around the General Records Center (red arrow) with Delsan Demolition branding on the fence. An email was also sent to all staff regarding this "deconstruction". This one is a sure thing now. Here's a picture from today

Photo credit: me. Use as you wish.
The inside of the building has now been gutted and they are beginning to tear down the outside. The front wall has been mostly torn down by the wreckers.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
The inside of the building has now been gutted and they are beginning to tear down the outside. The front wall has been mostly torn down by the wreckers.
The building has been gone for a few months now. They have recently finished removing the foundation and have filled in the hole with gravel. Not sure if they're making a small parking lot or going to turf it over. I know there is a waiting list for parking spaces now that is several months long. I'll try to get a picture when it's nice out.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
The building has been gone for a few months now. They have recently finished removing the foundation and have filled in the hole with gravel. Not sure if they're making a small parking lot or going to turf it over. I know there is a waiting list for parking spaces now that is several months long. I'll try to get a picture when it's nice out.
While I feel for those on the waiting list, adding more parking seems counterproductive, especially with lrt opening this summer.

For the record, it took me 8 months to get parking at PDP in 2017, and parking is $200/month there.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:47 PM

Wait lists are stupid. The very existence of a wait list means the price is too low. Raise the price until the wait list goes away.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:51 PM
Mooderator

Things must have changed there since 2017. I worked at Statcan on a contract and I was able to get parking right away.

It was pretty impossible to find a place to park that was close. You would have to factor in another 10 minutes of commute time to account for the walk.

I would have taken the bus, but there was no service from Aylmer to Tunney's during my shift.. thankfully they are beefing that up. I agree that the LRT should take some pressure off the parking situation there... let's hope so!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Based on the curb that they have built, the parking is not being expanded. I assume then that they will eventually grass over the area where the building was.

As promised, here is the picture:

Photo credit: me. Use as you wish. I'm sorry it is so big, but given the amount of time it took me to post it on imgur (it used to be so easy now you have to register and sign in), I'm not posting it again at a smaller size... and the BBCode isn't letting me resize it? Whatever.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:42 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What's happening at Tunney's Pasture behind closed doors?
At this point, we do not know which entrepreneurs want or will get a share in the massive redevelopment project and which parts of the site will be sold off to them.

Ken Rubin, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 13, 2020

The redevelopment of Tunney’s Pasture has fallen off the public’s radar.

We last heard about it when the federal government in 2014 proposed a 25-year master plan calling for massive changes, and in 2016 when the NCC unsuccessfully proposed putting the Civic campus of the Ottawa Hospital there. Tunney’s Pasture has at last count 18 government buildings on it, and now an LRT station.

Government officials tell me that in 2020 we will learn more via an implementation plan and public consultations. And that work will not likely begin until at least 2027-28, probably starting with office, residential and commercial redevelopment around the LRT station. It will proceed in stages to 2048.

Graham Bird and his company, G. Bird Holding Inc., have had a contract since January 2017 with Public Services and Procurement Canada as the project manager developing the implementation plan, which is being done behind closed doors. To-date, the contract is worth $7,278,737. Bird’s company is likely going to be continuing that work with Canada Lands Company as the master developer. He works closely with area developers on other developments, such as the 900 Albert St. towers, controversial because of the proposed height of one building: 65 storeys.

At this point, we do not know which entrepreneurs will get a share in the Tunney’s project and which parts of the site will be sold off to them. Building plans call for 3,400 to 3,700 residential units, up to 150,000 sq. metres of federal office space (housing up to 25,000 employees; currently there are 9,300), and constructing retail commercial business space.

Preliminary plans I obtained using access to information legislation talk about various parts of the site being developed in five stages from 2023 to 2048. Some areas will have more intense development, such as those near the LRT that could perhaps rise as high as 60 storeys given the area’s bedrock, according to government records.

The sector next to the existing Champlain neighbourhood would be less intensely developed. Integrating plans with adjacent Parkdale Avenue developments going up across from Tunney’s Pasture is mentioned but details are lacking. Designated community green space could be a block in size. Little is said about affordable housing except that the city of Ottawa has guidelines for this in its official plan.

The only new public-private development divulged is with Innovate Energy, for a heating and cooling 6,000-sq.-metre plant, on the block bounded by Colombine Drive, Goldenrod Driveway, Eglantine Driveway, and Sir Frederick Banting Driveway. It would replace the existing heritage plant near the LRT station. This “centrepiece” is part of constructing a $1.1-billion heating and cooling project for nearby government buildings and means realigning underground infrastructure. Public sector unions have opposed the project, which is being undertaken by a private consortium.

Access records further reveal that many existing on-site federal buildings have various problems, including water leakage. But no complete upgrade costs are available.

Some buildings have been demolished, such as the General Records Centre and the Animal Breeding and Health Protection buildings. Others could be torn down too. Again, no costs are supplied, although one 2016 memo I obtained said putting the Civic hospital campus at Tunney’s would have meant spending $528 million to relocate the three federal buildings in the way. Separate remediation costs throughout the development are not provided.

One building that underwent expensive renovations, the Sir Frederick Banting Building, is mentioned as being awkwardly placed in a proposed residential area and likely would be slated for demolition.

One sure-to-be controversial aspect is that the federal government wants to pass along to the City of Ottawa much of cost for needed infrastructure, including internal roads, water and sewage upgrades. Taxpayers would be expected to pay a hefty chunk of these yet unknown costs.

Documents note that an access road would be needed to the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway, along with other new roads, so the site is still going to be fairly car-friendly. It is expected that up to an additional 9,500 car trips would be generated during peak hours.

There is some internal pushback from federal agencies at the Tunney’s site that will be affected. But the public, neighbours and taxpayers have yet to be informed or allowed to comment and truly participate.

Tunney’s Pasture is a major site, and it is hard to predict who the beneficiaries of this multi-billion-dollar potential project will be. Whether the redevelopment will happen, be more transparent and be well handled, and whether the costs will be burdensome or the money well spent and sustainable is the question.

Ken Rubin is an Ottawa investigative researcher. Reach him at kenrubin.ca

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...d-closed-doors

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:03 PM

Contract to G. Bird Holding Inc. has been extended to 31/01/2021

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
He works closely with area developers on other developments, such as the 900 Albert St. towers, controversial because of the proposed height of one building: 65 storeys.
Still can't believe 65 stories is controversial in that location. That is the exact single best spot for a tall building anywhere between Montreal and Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
One building that underwent expensive renovations, the Sir Frederick Banting Building, is mentioned as being awkwardly placed in a proposed residential area and likely would be slated for demolition.
What is "awkwardly placed in a proposed residential area" even supposed to mean, especially in the brave new world of supposedly mixed-use, denser development?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
What is "awkwardly placed in a proposed residential area" even supposed to mean, especially in the brave new world of supposedly mixed-use, denser development?
I found that sentence confusing as well. If it is "awkwardly placed", there must be site plans with building developments, parks, sidewalks, roads etc that show it "awkwardly placed". Otherwise, it should just be considered as part of the landscape that developers work around and harmonize with.

Not that this whole project has me busting my knickers. Decades of time and look what we have to show for LeBreton Flats. My prediction...Tunny's remains much as it is now, perhaps some demolition here and there...for at least 30 years. Long enough so that "green" sprouts up, and in 30 + years there will be protest chants of "save our pasture".

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I found that sentence confusing as well. If it is "awkwardly placed", there must be site plans with building developments, parks, sidewalks, roads etc that show it "awkwardly placed". Otherwise, it should just be considered as part of the landscape that developers work around and harmonize with.
Then.... maybe the design is bad.

Quote:
Not that this whole project has me busting my knickers. Decades of time and look what we have to show for LeBreton Flats. My prediction...Tunny's remains much as it is now, perhaps some demolition here and there...for at least 30 years. Long enough so that "green" sprouts up, and in 30 + years there will be protest chants of "save our pasture".
Save our heritage lead- and mercury-contaminated topsoil!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Probably referring to the fact that the building has zero active street frontage and features a loading dock for tractor trailer deliveries.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:06 PM

I have no doubt that the soils surrounding these buildings are filled with all sorts of designated substances, not least of which radioactive fallout from the reactor, PLUS chemicals leeching from the science buildings.

Guess what the easiest thing to do is when faced with contaminated soil? You guessed it! Pave it over!

Aaaanyways.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:21 PM

Bedrock is almost at the surface throughout Tunney's Pasture. That is why it remained undeveloped until the feds took it over in the 50s. Much of any contaminants would have either leached into the bedrock or more likely washed away to surrounding land.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:20 PM

100 Yarrow Way is slated for demolition next. An NRCAN internal newsletter posted an article on a project by the Geological Survey of Canada that was to analyse, catalogue, package and move a national 100 year old mineral and core sample collection. In some cases items were disposed of. The project was carried out in 2019. The article seemed to infer it was now complete. Basically GSC was told to vacate the building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Bedrock is almost at the surface throughout Tunney's Pasture. That is why it remained undeveloped until the feds took it over in the 50s. Much of any contaminants would have either leached into the bedrock or more likely washed away to surrounding land.
Could that end up being a blessing in disguise? If the bedrock's at the surface, maybe when it ultimately does get developed, would that be a disincentive to putting too much parking?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Could that end up being a blessing in disguise? If the bedrock's at the surface, maybe when it ultimately does get developed, would that be a disincentive to putting too much parking?
But an incentive for seas of surface parking lots... or parking podiums.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa