HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:12 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

In what province(s) does this land lie?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 11:47 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I already like what I see, though I had hoped for them to potentially take into account a future O-Train crossing that could terminate near the Terraces de la Chaudière or whatever it's called complex.
Agreed.

But man, I have seldom had so little to criticize about a proposal. It's eerie...

Highlights for me:
- Chaudière Island to be a mix of retail, commercial and residential (a more dense Granville Island concept)
- carbon neutrality from operations, increased biological diversity, on-site stormwater management.
- 90% Walkscore for all homes upon completion
- Our built environment has a direct impact on public health. The Isles will promote active transportation, be built using healthy materials, and will encourage social cohesion, allowing residents and tenants to live at their healthiest.
- a minimum of 3 heritage buildings repurposed for adaptive reuse.
- the development of a range of innovation/creative workspaces located within the redevelopment, specific social gathering spaces within 500 m of every office or home
- upon completion a resident could live for a month without leaving a 1km radius of The Isles,
- every residence is within 500m of a place of employment,
- balance between number of jobs on- site and number of residences on-site,
- full mix of housing types/tenure (low- rise/high-rise, free-hold, affordable/ market, condo, rental, owned etc).
- an attractive, safe and cohesive pedestrian and cycle network linking the entire development,
- a seamless and exemplary public transit system,
- consistent design cues throughout the development

This also makes me think that LRT through the northern Domtar parcel would be just right

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this project goes!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 1:49 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
This also makes me think that LRT through the northern Domtar parcel would be just right
Ah, but therein lies the problem. There would have to be some tunneling under Booth/Eddy in that case.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:37 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Ah, but therein lies the problem. There would have to be some tunneling under Booth/Eddy in that case.
How so?
The tracks could just pass behind the old EB Eddy Building in front of Terraces de la Chaudière and cross Eddy at-grade with pre-emptive signal priority. It could then run at-grade through the new development and go through the old railway underpass under Maisonneuve just south of Laurier (where the bike path now passes) and continue along the old railway RoW to the Museum or beyond.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:56 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
How so?
The tracks could just pass behind the old EB Eddy Building in front of Terraces de la Chaudière and cross Eddy at-grade with pre-emptive signal priority. It could then run at-grade through the new development and go through the old railway underpass under Maisonneuve just south of Laurier (where the bike path now passes) and continue along the old railway RoW to the Museum or beyond.
Naw man, it goes fenced up heritage building, and then the sidewalk. There's no room there if you want to preserve the buildings and turn them into a waterfront area and museum. It would need a short and shallow tunnel under Eddy before being at grade on the east side of the road.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:12 AM
Still optimistic

I was thinking that dditional space could be bought with boardwalk-type extensions onto the little bay there for more pedestrian space and the heritage industrial buildings on Taché could be beautifully repurposed into a station, among other things. In fact, maybe the tracks could run in the building, turning it into a real, interior station and saving space on the waterfront.

But one thing's for sure, the tracks are not incompatible with quality pedestrian areas:

A tunnel would probably be the ideal solution, but what I wonder what that would cost and if the water table would permit it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Domtar lands proposal a ‘must not miss’ opportunity, Gatineau mayor says

Public consultation set for Dec. 11; Algonquin community seeks separate dialogue

By Elizabeth Payne, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 3, 2013 10:50 AM

OTTAWA — With two cities, two provinces, the federal government and the National Capital Commission involved, plans to redeveloped the Chaudière Islands will be “administratively, very difficult to manage,” Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin said Monday.

But the newly elected mayor said redeveloping the site on the islands in the Ottawa River is so important that there must be political will to think outside the box to make it happen.

“The project that is on the table is extremely interesting to help us promote what we are and what we were from an identity point of view. From an environmental point of view it is extremely interesting as well: This land is contaminated and we have to do something about it. ... If we don’t have a private partner it will be very difficult to redevelop this land, so I think it is an occasion that we must not miss.”

Pedneaud-Jobin said the project proposed by Windmill Development, which is in the process of purchasing the 37-acre site from Domtar, could take precedence over other plans to redevelop the waterfront in Gatineau.

Pedneaud-Jobin said he has met with Windmill, as well as with Chief Gilbert Whiteduck of the Kitigan Zibi First Nation, to discuss the proposed project.

Whiteduck told the Citizen on Monday that a long talked-about National Indigenous Centre on Victoria Island should be an integral part of redevelopment of the former Domtar lands.

“I don’t believe this project should go forward without the indigenous centre. It should be the jewel in the crown” of Ottawa riverfront redevelopment, he said.

Whiteduck said he has spoken to officials from Windmill Development, which is looking at building a major green development involving housing, retail, restaurants, business, parks and historic sites. The working title of the project — which has been compared to Vancouver’s Granville Island — is “The Isles”.

Whiteduck said he plans to attend Windmill’s public consultation on the project, to be held Dec. 11 at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. But he said the company should conduct a separate dialogue with the Algonquin community about its vision for the site. The area around Chaudière Falls is considered a sacred meeting place for First Nations going back hundreds of years.

The plan for a national aboriginal centre is not a new one. It was a vision of William Commanda, a widely honoured Algonquin elder who spent his life promoting a better understanding of aboriginal tradition and bridging the gap between cultures. The Order of Canada recipient died in 2011.

Architect Douglas Cardinal, who was a friend of Commanda, drew up plans for the project with his trademark curved walls, reflecting his iconic Canadian Museum of Civilization across the Ottawa River. The project has received support from the National Capital Commission but no funding. The centre — to include a museum, restaurant and elders’ residence — was expected to cost in the range of $85 million to build.

Whiteduck said he and his community members also have concerns about what the entire project will look like — whether the falls, which have long been hidden amid the post-industrial landscape — will be “free” and whether “they are turning it into a tourist attraction on the backs of the Algonquin people.”

“We will insure to the best of our ability that our voice is heard.”

Windmill has sketched broad strokes of what it would like to see on the site, but managing partner Jonathan Westeinde said it is first seeking public input into the concept.

Windmill has said it wants the site to be environmentally sustainable, with parkland, bikes and walking trails linking to the mainland on either side of the river. Its proposals include housing in a variety of forms, restaurants, cafés, stores and creative industries. The Ottawa development company also proposes the municipalities of Ottawa and Gatineau work together on unified zoning approvals for the development. The cities would likely also have to work together on transit.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, through a spokesman, said only that he looked forward to seeing the draft plans for the proposed redevelopment.

Pedneaud-Jobin said the land — which has been declared of national interest by the NCC — is of great importance to Gatineau and Ottawa as well as for Canada.

“It is where our region was born. Our industry was born there. It is also a land where all the great leaders, both French and English, passed through, as well as native leaders.”

epayne@ottawacitizen.com
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...977/story.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 1:57 AM

The Booth Board Mill in better days;

A hell load more pictures inside and out. Totally worth a look!

Once again from Urbsite;

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2013/12/t...oard-mill.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:23 AM
National Capital Region

@CBCOttawa 12m
https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/408402894451261440
It's official: Windmill signs agreement to buy Domtar land in Ottawa/Gatineau #cbcott

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 2:13 AM

As happy as I am that this deal went through (and that the Feds never bought it), I'm still not convinced this will be a big success. Between the bureaucracy of 5-6 levels of government (QC, ON, Ottawa, Gatineau, Feds, NCC), the aboriginals wanting a piece of it and the slump in Ottawa's economy, I'm don't think much will happen for a while.

On top of that, add the poor condition of the old factory buildings; some sagging, some sinking, some held together with chicken wire. We have an extremely limited amount of time to fix up these buildings, if it's not already too late.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 2:48 AM
National Capital Region

website with their development principles and signup for more info

http://www.les-iles.ca/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 3:59 AM
National Capital Region

Development Principle #1
Designed with Ecological Systems in Mind

Development Principle #2
Developed to re-connect the Nation’s Capital to a vibrant urban waterfront

Development Principle #3
Designed to Foster and Enable Healthy Living

Development Principle #4
Designed to Celebrate the Past While Pointing to the Future

Development Principle #5
Designed to celebrate and incubate innovation

Development Principle #6
Designed to Create Complete Communities

Development Principle #7
Designed to Connect the Capital Region

Development Principle #8
Designed to Create, Enhance and Protect Incredible Views

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 4:55 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
As happy as I am that this deal went through (and that the Feds never bought it), I'm still not convinced this will be a big success. Between the bureaucracy of 5-6 levels of government (QC, ON, Ottawa, Gatineau, Feds, NCC), the aboriginals wanting a piece of it and the slump in Ottawa's economy, I'm don't think much will happen for a while.

On top of that, add the poor condition of the old factory buildings; some sagging, some sinking, some held together with chicken wire. We have an extremely limited amount of time to fix up these buildings, if it's not already too late.
$12 million is an absolute steal for that vast amount of prime downtown real estate. The purchase price takes into account all the challenges and hurdles you mention, as well as any soil contamination.

I think it will be a challenging project, but I expect it to come to fruition over the course of the next decade or so. In fact, I expect it to be fully built-out before Lebreton.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:35 PM

Agreed.
With that low initial cost the budget to handle most of the potential issues with heritage buildings, soil testing, etc... will be there.

It won't happen over night with all of the levels of government involved, but I don't think cost will be a huge factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
$12 million is an absolute steal for that vast amount of prime downtown real estate. The purchase price takes into account all the challenges and hurdles you mention, as well as any soil contamination.

I think it will be a challenging project, but I expect it to come to fruition over the course of the next decade or so. In fact, I expect it to be fully built-out before Lebreton.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 7:44 PM

Companies can live forever. No hurry on their side.

I don't think I will see this project completed in my life time....and I am a young 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Domtar lands sale could take year to finalize

By Elizabeth Payne, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 5, 2013 7:02 PM

OTTAWA — It could take more than a year for the sale of land on the Chaudière islands to be finalized — and depend, ultimately, on zoning approval from the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau.

Domtar confirmed ON Thursday that it has signed an agreement of purchase with Ottawa’s Windmill Development Group for the sale of its mothballed 37 acre property on islands in the Ottawa River and Quebec shoreline, an agreement Windmill announced a day earlier.

The sale is conditional on the developer’s ability to get the industrial land rezoned “to the satisfaction of the buyers,” said Stuart Lister, manager of corporate communications for Montreal-based Domtar. That could take until the first quarter of 2015 to complete, Lister said.

Windmill has said the sale is conditional on the ability to get the site re-zoned for a “mixed-use, community-scale development.”

The development company, which has ambitious, environmentally friendly plans for the historic site, is wasting little time attempting to move the project along.

It will hold a public consultation next week at the Museum of Civilization (Dec. 11, from 5-9 p.m.) and says it hopes to present a planning application to the cities of Gatineau and Ottawa in the spring for what it describes as a “world-class, sustainable, pedestrian-oriented mixed use community.”

The company’s proposal for the land has received a positive response from mayors of both cities as well as the National Capital Commission, which had a plan to develop the property itself. Windmill’s plan, said NCC’s acting chief executive Jean-François Trépanier, “is completely aligned with our aspirations for that space and the region.”

In fact Mark Brandt, the Ottawa architect who designed the NCC’s master plan for the Chaudière islands, and whose company is now working with Windmill on its proposed development, suggested Thursday that a privately funded development on the islands could be a catalyst for long-discussed public-sector development in the area.

At one time, the NCC had hoped to lead development of the historic Domtar property — which it has designation a land mass of national interest. The thinking was that the NCC would be the anchor in a public-private partnership to develop the land mass, said Brandt. Now, he said, that concept could be flipped on its head, with a private company anchoring the project and the public sector following.

One possibility for public involvement in the area is the construction of a national indigenous centre on Victoria Island. The centre, which was a vision of Algonquin elder William Commanda, has been designed by architect Douglas Cardinal, who also designed the Museum of Civilization across the river. The area around Chaudière Falls is considered a sacred and historic gathering spot by First Nations.

The NCC supports the concept of an indigenous initiative on that site, said Brandt, and it fits into the federal agency’s long-held plans for development of the islands. Chief Gilbert Whiteduck of the Algonquin Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg band, told the Citizen the project should not go ahead without construction of the centre.

The Domtar lands, he noted, “are part of an overall district. They aren’t the whole district.”

But Windmill’s development — which it is calling The Isles — would put pressure on the federal government to develop the lands it controls.

And Brandt said the kind of heritage eco district being proposed for the site is something that has been done in cities across North America. In Oregon, Portland’s Pearl District is a prime example, he said, as are Toronto’s Distillery District, Winnipeg’s The Forks, Vancouver’s Granville Island and other projects.

“It is pretty mainstream stuff these days to take old unused land, usually leftover transportation or industrial land in the centre of cities” and redevelop it, he said.

“Ottawa is just a little behind the times.”

Registration for the Dec. 11 public consultation at the Museum of Civilization and a preview the development principles can be found at www.the-isles.ca.

epayne@ottawacitizen.com">epayne@ottawacitizen.com
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...842/story.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:51 AM

What are the odds of the NCC entering a partnership with Windmill allowing them to develop some of their waterfront land along with the Domtar lands? Or does it have to go to an open competition?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 4:05 AM
Still optimistic

What does a NCC competition look like? Bentgrass vs. Bluegrass?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:25 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

While not directly about the Windmill development, it is immediately beside it...

Quote:
Hydro Ottawa wants to expand Chaudière Falls hydroelectric facility

By Matthew Pearson, OTTAWA CITIZEN December 5, 2013

TORONTO — Hydro Ottawa wants to expand its historic hydroelectric generating facility at Chaudière Falls.

The utility submitted an application Wednesday to the Ontario Power Authority that, if approved, would see its production capacity grow from 38 megawatts today to as high as 60 megawatts upon completion.

A final design has not been approved yet for the multimillion-dollar project, which could take three years to build once it is given the green light, according to Hydro Ottawa spokesman Owen Mahaffy.

Hydro Ottawa purchased three generating stations from Domtar last year and plans to redevelop the site by constructing a new station and mothballing two aging ones, he said.

“The best solution is to put in a new generating station that is more efficient and makes better use of the water,” Mahaffy said.

The project will benefit Ottawa because the new renewable power produced at the facility will feed into the local grid and is the most “environmentally benign” type of energy to produce and generates no greenhouse gases, he said, adding the project won’t involve changing the Ottawa River’s water dynamic at all.

Hydro Ottawa also gives the City of Ottawa a share of the utility’s annual net income.

This year, the divident was worth $18.6 million, based on 2012 results.

Energy Minister Bob Chiarelli mentioned Hydro Ottawa’s application during a conference call with reporters about the province’s long-term energy plan, which was released Monday.

The plan highlighted improvements Hydro One is making to Hawthorne Transformer Station in the city’s east end.

The current upgrade work requires replacing 12 circuit breakers with new ones to help improve reliability of the 115-kV (kilovolt) system supplying the Ottawa area.

The Ottawa Regional Energy Plan, which is in progress, will identify future work to support the reliability of the area and may identify additional upgrade work at Hawthorne facility, the government’s plan says.

As for consumers, Chiarelli said the government is trying to keep energy bills affordable by keeping average increases over the next two decades to 2.8 per cent per year (the 2010 long-term energy plan forecasted 3.5 per cent increases annually).

“Certainly that will help not only Eastern Ontario, but it will help across the province,” he said.

But consumers will still see their hydro bills rise by 42 per cent over the next five years, 50 per cent over the next 10 years, and 68 per cent over the next two decades (Those numbers assume that the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit, a 10 per cent rebate for consumers, is eliminated as scheduled in 2016).

In real dollars, that means a typical customer who pays a monthly bill of $125 this year will pay $167 per month in 2016, and $210 per month by 2032, according to the forecast supplied by the government.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com">mpearson@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/mpearson78

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hy...124/story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa