HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I've visited Milwaukee numerous times (and spent a great deal of time there). Not once have I ever associated the word "hip" with any aspect of the city.
Even Brady St and the Third Ward?

Cmon, it’s at least somewhat hip!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 8:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

read my last post. yes, but.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:33 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Now that we have Colectivo in Chicago, half the reason to go to Milwaukee is gone. I'd take an Ian's Pizza too...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:58 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

It’s really Detroit these days.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
No, that just is not in accordance with reality. I'm not sure how you're using the term "social capital" here, but Buffalo and Pittsburgh definitely do not share more of a network or connection with cities/states to their west than they do with cities within New York and Pennsylvania.

To suggest otherwise is simply faulty understanding. Eastern Ohio certainly shares connection with Pittsburgh and western PA, but that's pretty much where that connection ends.

I'd say that's as good a definition as any... if you add Missouri (at least the northern half?).

The Midwest is corn and soybeans (yellow and green mass).

Well, what's Pennsylvania and New York then? Appalachia?
Yeah, the part of Missouri from I-70 north (inclusive of St Louis and KC) is the Midwest.

And I could accept Nebraska, but only because all of the people live in Omaha and Lincoln which are basically Iowa. But that’s a bit of a stretch and the vast majority of Nebraska’s land area is clearly not the Midwest.

You can make a case for Erie and Buffalo as Midwestern cities, but that’s about it.

What is just absurd and wrong is when people refer to the Dakotas or Oklahoma as Midwestern states.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 11:19 PM

In the plains states, the eastern portions are 100% midwestern, while the western portions are about a 50% midwest, 50% western split. Even areas in central Nebraska are more closely aligned with the midwest.

The exception is Oklahoma which is sorta of an even blend between southern, western, and midwestern.

As for most bohemian, it depends. People mentioned Madison and Ann Arbor, but as a UW grad, I'd say Madison is probably the least artsy/bohemian of the 11 cities I've lived in, right up there with Washington D.C. as a well-educated, yuppie dominated place

Some of the larger cities in the western part of the midwest have a bit more of that going on - K.C., Omaha, and of course the twin cities. In general, river cities generally seem to have a more bohemian vibe while coastal/great lakes areas seem to vibe more yuppie. Personally, I think street art and independent coffee shops are a good barometer, and the twin cities are leading the pack in the midwest where that's concerned.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:22 AM

^ You say that as a Nebraskan. A Chicagoan wouldn’t see Oklahoma as Midwestern in the least. There’s too much Bible thumping down there to start.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
The closest thing may be Duluth, which is a fairly odd place. It isn't hipster at all but feels very bohemian to me, in sort of a rustic throwback kind of way. It is so isolated that it tends to stew in its own communist, hunter, fisherman juices rather than be influenced by the outside world. It is like a sophisticated Thunder Bay. And Superior is like somebody gave David Lynch a rust belt town to play with.
duluth is also the surfing capital of the midwest. wait what? exactly!!! that whole north shore looks soooooo cool. its definitely got one of the coolest outdoor scenes in the whole country too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHfG9gObvc

Last edited by pdxtex; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ You say that as a Nebraskan. A Chicagoan wouldn’t see Oklahoma as Midwestern in the least. There’s too much Bible thumping down there to start.
There's a similar degree of bible thumping in southern Illinois...

It's complicated, but I'd like to here the perspective from the folks in OK. My understanding has always been that Tulsa for examples, identifies a bit more with the midwest.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 4:11 AM

tulsa seems more midwestern, looks like a smaller kc. even has the same names for neighborhoods. okc feels more southern plains, even have seen people in suits with cowboy hats downtown. i don’t think ive even seen that in texas.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
No doubt.
Probably, 99 percent

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
tulsa seems more midwestern, looks like a smaller kc. even has the same names for neighborhoods. okc feels more southern plains, even have seen people in suits with cowboy hats downtown. i don’t think ive even seen that in texas.
No, nothingg in OK is Midwestern at all. No one who is from the Midwest would think OK is Midwestern

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
There's a similar degree of bible thumping in southern Illinois...

It's complicated, but I'd like to here the perspective from the folks in OK. My understanding has always been that Tulsa for examples, identifies a bit more with the midwest.
But I don’t care about southern Illinois. That’s like 5% of the state’s population. Oklahoma is all Bible Belt.

And I’m not really concerned with how Oklahomans “self-identify” either. But I also doubt that many of them would say “Midwestern”.

Chicagoans can decide that they live in an East Coast city, and that wouldn’t make it true.

Last edited by 10023; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
minneapolis, followed by kansas city. they both have giant “catchments” of midwestern weirdos that gravitate in, start bands, do weird (and creative) shit...the plains states are fertile grounds.

A friend of mine from high school died recently and his memorial service was at some dive bar in the west bottoms. Since we lost touch about 20 years ago he had embedded himself into a strange bohemian scene in Kansas City. Everyone was odd, but also laid back and kind. It was outrageously hot, the sky was huge and blue and massive freight trains lumbered by a few feet away. It was glorious

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:02 PM
BANNED

The Midwest:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-the-midwest/
The South:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-in-the-south/

Compared to the U.S. census classification of regions and devisions:

Note: Midwesterners identify Oklahoma as a midwestern state to some degree, however the census does not, it lumps it in with the South.

Side Note: Maryland and West Virginia are considered the South according to the census, however Southerners do not identify either as part of the South.

Last edited by Sun Belt; Aug 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No, nothingg in OK is Midwestern at all. No one who is from the Midwest would think OK is Midwestern
it’s strange to me that someone would be so confident on this (are you from there, or visit?), and anyway i was speaking in degrees, using words like more, or less. a lot of people would even say dallas has a shred of midwestern attributes, in the way louisville is a hybrid of a certain mix.

though tenous, and restricted to larger cities, the route 66 corridor sort of holds on to a hybrid midwestern thing southwest of st. louis, which dissapears a lot sooner south of the ohio, and which is perhaps not recognizable as such by someone from the great lakes. theres still that bold commercial architecture in downtowns, art deco, big blvds everywhere (compared to a city like nashville which wasn’t going big or going home before world war two), etc. this was the banking hinterland for st. louis, and midwesterners were streaming down this way, filtering into these areas/cities. this simply wasn’t happening east of the mississippi.

pinterest.com

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 26, 2018 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
A friend of mine from high school died recently and his memorial service was at some dive bar in the west bottoms. Since we lost touch about 20 years ago he had embedded himself into a strange bohemian scene in Kansas City. Everyone was odd, but also laid back and kind. It was outrageously hot, the sky was huge and blue and massive freight trains lumbered by a few feet away. It was glorious
i’m in kc right now, i can totally envision this. what you saw is a bullseye for what i’m talking about.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:15 PM

and just an addendum, just because an area doesn’t conform to a specific, great-lakes centric version of midwestern, doesn’t mean it’s not. there’s generally three flavors to my mind: great lakes, plains/prairie, and river city.

i also think people confuse/distort the statistical inability of the populations of a basket of cities to overpower rural red state populations for a drastic cultural difference or backwardness of said cities.

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 26, 2018 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
sometimes i wish this board had a "like" button......*like*.......

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I've visited Milwaukee numerous times (and spent a great deal of time there). Not once have I ever associated the word "hip" with any aspect of the city.
at one time milwaukee was the hardcore techno capital of north america. the rave scene there was wild if you can believe that. i guess all those promoters grew up. but hey, beer city skateboards is still around!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions