HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Vantage in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:29 PM
Website Manager

[Burnaby] Vantage | 33 floors | Completed

Here's a new tower for Brentwood that Hollywoodnorth mentioned in the Suburban Updates thread.

It's located on the site of the old Canadian Tire on the Lougheed Highway and Rosser Avenue.

The architect is Chris Dikeakos Architects and the developer is Embassy Development Corporation, the same team that designed and built the neighbouring Renaissance Towers.

Sales website is http://www.vantagebyembassy.com/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:14 PM

Burnaby must like the tower in a park concept... it's all over the place. =O

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:04 AM

Well, it certainly seems like the clock is ticking for all that industrial land south of Lougheed...

And tower itself looks awesome, but then again I haven't seen anything by Mr. Dikeakos that isn't.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:21 AM

Typical Burnaby project...a decent enough tower, but silly and wasteful at street level. At least stick some townhomes along Rosser or something, jeez.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Well, it certainly seems like the clock is ticking for all that industrial land south of Lougheed...

And tower itself looks awesome, but then again I haven't seen anything by Mr. Dikeakos that isn't.
And that really urks me. I have no problem with building up the Brentwood area and adding a few towers next to the other Millenium Line stations and along Lougheed, but removing this industrial area will once again push even more blue collar jobs further out into the suburbs and away from mass transit / where people live, big mistake IMO! Not to mention these lands could have also had direct freeway truck only access to the #1 via the Gateway project until Burnaby nixed that plan due to their wish to re-zone. That was a huge benefit of this industrial area that it was close to mass transit, close to where people live and close to the freeway for commercial traffic.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Here's a new tower for Brentwood that Hollywoodnorth mentioned in the Suburban Updates thread.

It's located on the site of the old Canadian Tire on the Lougheed Highway and Rosser Avenue.

The architect is Chris Dikeakos Architects and the developer is Embassy Development Corporation, the same team that designed and built the neighbouring Renaissance Towers.

Sales website is http://www.vantagebyembassy.com/

Beautiful tower and I like the greenery, this area could use more greenery as there is a lot of concrete and pavement everywhere. And from the artist's rendering it looks like there will be townhomes or storefronts along lougheed, you can see it in the bottom left. But i think the image is a bit deceiving as to space at ground level, the lot is fairly big but it isn't huge by any stretch. Adding more townhomes really wouldn't increase the density by much but would drastic reduce the livability of the complex.

By industrial land south of Lougheed - you mean the land between Holdom station and Brentwood where Purolator, etc is and way south on Still Creek? I haven't seen any plans to turn that into residential. I think Burnaby is trying to cram the skytrain with office/residential towers and at least in the medium term, will leave the rest of industrial/commercial areas alone that are closer to the freeway as those areas are too far from the skytrain and transit in general, to make it worthwhile(ie. they would need to be car-centric developments and that is the opposite of what Burnaby wants), not to mention nobody wants to live beside a railway line. Burnaby is redoing a lot of the roads in the area, including what looks like connecting Still Creek Drive together by the Costco, which would drastically improve freeway access to that entire commercial/industrial area. It also looks like Dawson will be extended east and connected up with Douglas by Purolator. Would you like me to inquire with the City of Burnaby?

The Canadian tire store(which I believe was zoned Commercial) was old, ugly, dark, and very cramped in terms of space inside the store, and it never seemed all that busy when I went by on the way to save-on or the mall. It is also very much closer to everything than the 15-20+ minute hike from a skytrain station to the industrial area. As for Canadian Tire's new location, I've never been there but from the train you can see it is new, bright, and is nestled between a bunch of other box stores like walmart, pricesmart foods, petsmart, superstore, etc - a much more visible, and I would say better, location.

I think that Burnaby would sooner convert all the paint/tile shops on Dawson between Gilmore and Willingdon into towers as that area is really close to 2 stations and major north/south transit routes on Willingdon, not to mention stores and the mall. I do know that FedEx will be moving sooner or later and is to be converted into another tower, when I don't know, there's been talk of that for at least 4-5 years. Yes I live in the area.

Last edited by madmigs; Feb 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:13 PM

The problem that I see with trying to keep industrial zoning in Burnaby and Vancouver is that it hasn't really worked in encouraging the growth of a technology or manufacturing based sector. A lot of those jobs are already heading to China and some to the USA as well... and Vancouver usually gets overlooked at that sort of thing. The areas that this city usually focuses on it seems are:

- Port-related activities, including loading, unloading, repackaging
- tourism (heavily)
- some element of office-related business
- some element of retail
- construction (heavily)
- resources like wood, oil, gas, water (usually applies to outlying and interior areas though)
- filming and animation
- some technology (computers, security cameras, etc)

A lot of industries also seem to like to sit around until enough compensation is paid for a move or something. There seems to be little motivation to move out of current premises unless absolutely necessary.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 8:19 PM

it has been mentioned on this thread in the past, Burnaby plans on turning most of the industrial land between douglas and gilmore north of the tracks into residential, parks, retail and a school I believe. Thats why you see towers sprouting up here and there with industrial still between them. It most likely will take another 10-12 years to fully realize thier plans but it will happen. Here's a link to Burnaby's offical plans for the area.

http://www.burnaby.ca/cityhall/depar...ns_brntwd.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And that really urks me. I have no problem with building up the Brentwood area and adding a few towers next to the other Millenium Line stations and along Lougheed, but removing this industrial area will once again push even more blue collar jobs further out into the suburbs and away from mass transit / where people live, big mistake IMO! Not to mention these lands could have also had direct freeway truck only access to the #1 via the Gateway project until Burnaby nixed that plan due to their wish to re-zone. That was a huge benefit of this industrial area that it was close to mass transit, close to where people live and close to the freeway for commercial traffic.
industry was leaving that area on its own anyway its mostly light and still mixed in there

this spot was a canadian tire some of the other spots were car dealerships or sat empty for many years

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
The problem that I see with trying to keep industrial zoning in Burnaby and Vancouver is that it hasn't really worked in encouraging the growth of a technology or manufacturing based sector. A lot of those jobs are already heading to China and some to the USA as well... and Vancouver usually gets overlooked at that sort of thing. The areas that this city usually focuses on it seems are:

- Port-related activities, including loading, unloading, repackaging
- tourism (heavily)
- some element of office-related business
- some element of retail
- construction (heavily)
- resources like wood, oil, gas, water (usually applies to outlying and interior areas though)
- filming and animation
- some technology (computers, security cameras, etc)

A lot of industries also seem to like to sit around until enough compensation is paid for a move or something. There seems to be little motivation to move out of current premises unless absolutely necessary.

Precisely, Allan. That's what I was trying to get at in an old thread I started about diversifying the economy, and keeping innovative industries here. But it really came to very little, if anything. All thinks makes me turn white when I think of how Seattle has diversified and boomed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 11:01 PM

burnaby has moved its focus for that to marine way though - thats where the industries and businesses want to be - they are filling up the office parks and buildings down there
its not transit friendly but there is so much building going on down there and its filling up
there are number of print presses down there, recently moved frome ast van or brentwood mall area

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Crazy as a mad hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
burnaby has moved its focus for that to marine way though - thats where the industries and businesses want to be - they are filling up the office parks and buildings down there
its not transit friendly but there is so much building going on down there and its filling up
there are number of print presses down there, recently moved frome ast van or brentwood mall area
That said however, Burnaby looks like it will be keeping the industrial/commercial areas between the freeway and railway tracks. One big indication of that is that the city of burnaby is moving most of their city works to what is currently just the recycling depot - http://www.burnabynow.com/city+works...433/story.html. And once still creek drive is completed, including a separated CVG(central valley greenway) path, it should revitalize the industrial area there a bit as right now there are no curbs, sidewalks etc, and the roads in the area are really run down, not to mention poor lighting etc.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 8:24 PM

That makes sense - auto mall and the business park where Costco and Yellow Pages are located isn't going anywhere and has some synergy with the Discovery Parks developments across the highway.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 1:47 AM

My photo from this week:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 4:20 PM

Embassy is a quality developer and the new building will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:29 PM

Taken on April 20 from Gilmore Ave.:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 1:59 AM
supersonic

Any updates?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 5:42 AM

The people at the sales center were nice enough to allow a teenager wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt to barge in and take pictures of the model:

Because everyone loves (more!) townhomes along Lougheed! The building at the corner is community space for a local seniors' group. This is all despite the intensely-commercial Solo District development coming next door:

And now the real thing:

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 5:52 AM

Great photos, thanks!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 7:37 PM

From Hwy 1 this tower looks topped out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley