HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:17 AM
Dérive-r

^I assume this is aimed at djh. It would appear that you started typing yours before I finished writing mine, yes?

Anyways, good points LeftCoaster.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:04 AM

Productivity per person has generally nothing to do with the laziness of a person. A farmer in Nigeria working 18 hours a day on his farm is only a fraction as productive as a Canadian working 4 hours a day on his farm using his fancy machinery. With our stronger currency there will be more investment in equipment and technology which will raise worker productivity.

Also productivity per person has nothing to do with gdp per capita, in other words having a valuable resource that everyone wants doesnt make your people more productive however if that resource can be extracted by one of your people faster then by a person from another place then your people are more productive, that fact that you used a shovel while the other person used their bare hands is irrelevant. rant ending now.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:32 PM

I went to the Irish Heather open house last night in Gastown. They are planning on moving across the road to the building that is currently being refurbished. Their plans look very nice and the new pub is based on a pub in Dublin. They should be moved in by May 2008. Sheban and Salty Tongue will also be moving to the new location. I don't know what will be taking their old location.

I spoke to a few other people and there are lots of rumours about future developments in Gastown. Here are some of the rumours:

1) Concord Pacific have bought 7 buildings along Hastings Street (from the Woodwards to Carrall Street) and plan on developing them when the Woodwards is near to completion

2) The building behind the Irish Heather will have a couple of stories added. Probably for office space

3) Developers have their eyes on Cordova Street between Carrall and Abbott. Currently, most of these buidlngs are run by the Portland Hotel Society. If they could be relocated then these buildings would be converted into luxury apartments and would back onto the courtyard in Blood Alley. A couple of restautant owners also see the potential of the same courtyard, and would like to build restaurants along Cordova with the back of the restaurants overlooking the courtyard.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:55 AM

^ It sounds like that area is finally on the mend. Good.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:20 PM

Malcolm Parry has an interesting article today about West Pender Place and Reliance Holdings. Apparently a lot of density was transferred form Reliance's Gastown properties to the WPP site. He also notes that John Fluevog will probably take the Richard Kidd space.
He also mentions that Reliance is working on a $450 million 580,000 sq ft residential (70%)/hotel/commercial/retail project downtown and a 350,000 sq ft condo project near Plaza 88 in New Westminster.

By comparison (I checked on the City's website) - Shangri-La is 665,000 sq ft (before floor insertion) and The Ritz-Carlton is 440,000 sq ft.
Any other info / rumours out there? i.e. potential Reliance-owned site?

http://www.relianceholdings.com/commercial/index.html

602 West Hastings (Scotiabank Building) could be feasible (who owns the parkade across the alley?).
Outside possibilities - 402 West Pender (i.e. with rest of block?) or 788 Beatty.
Any possibility that they've bought the Bay Parkade site?

Quote:
Forget adding third floor, new plan calls for a 10-storey tower
Malcolm Parry, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, November 01, 2007

MORE FLOORS: It was 1962 when Jack Leshgold increased the interests of his family's holding company by putting up a two-floor commercial building at Pender and Broughton Street. Anticipating growth, he had it designed for the addition of a third floor that would , among other things, give a better view of a CPR railyard separating it from Coal Harbour's still-industrial waterfront.

The shipyards and related facilities are long gone. Ditto the tracks. And Leshgold's building is about to join them in the history books. It never did get its third floor. But a 10-storey residential tower will soon rise on its site. A five-floor row of townhouses will then run along Pender Street to the base of a 36-floor tower bordered by Nicola Street.

The $225-million-range project, West Pender Place, will total 270,000 sq. ft. (15,000 of it retail). Tenants will pay an average $1,100 a square foot when Platinum Projects chief George Wong and sister Lily Korsanje begin writing sales agreements Nov. 17. It's expected to generate $121 million worth of sales.

Interest is extremely strong from offshore buyers," said Reliance Properties developer Jon Stovell, who added his firm's first-time relationship with area-experienced Wong is "a good fit." He said buyers are drawn to Coal Harbour "because it is totally downtown geographically and spatially, but still like an urban oasis -- a suburb in the city."

West Pender Place also enjoys 110,000 sq. ft. of transferable density from two of the Leshgold family's many Gastown properties and projects. They are the heritage-redevelopment of 55 Water St. into 64 live-work units in 2002, and a current project at the 1886-built 210 Carrall St. for occupancy in early 2008. Reliance Properties also redeveloped 101 Water St. in 1987. Papered-over windows of its dramatically glass-fronted property at 65 Water St. mark the closure of the Richard Kidd store and the impending arrival of another fashion outfit, believed to be shoemaker-to-the-stars John Fluevog.

Twenty-five-year Reliance hand Stovell knows city hall like his own hand. As president of the Gastown Business Improvement Association, he helped develop the Heritage Management Plan's incentive model, that gives grants, tax holidays and density transfers to qualifying projects. Since 2006, he has sat on the Development Permit Board's advisory panel.

"We learn a lot from studying the city planners' priorities," he said. "We follow as closely as we can, and give the planners what they like to see."

The flip side of that mantra is density bonuses -- such as the one to West Pender Place.

There's more to come from a restoration and maintenance project on Alexander Street. And Reliance's redevelopment of a former down-at-the-heels property on East Hastings Street will create 30 fully equipped, 275-sq.-ft. micro-suites which will rent at market rates of $1.50 per square foot to $1.80 per foot (between $400 and $500 per month). Architect Bruce Carscadden has studied current Asian practices for maximizing livability in the suites.

Density transfers from those projects should go to a 580,000-sq.-ft. downtown tower with up to 70 per cent residential occupancy and the balance for hotel, commercial and retail space. At an expected $450 million, it will double Reliance's current costliest project, West Pender Place.

The firm will also undertake a 350,000-sq.-ft. primarily residential development at Columbia and Eighth Street, New Westminster, near to Degelder Group president Michael Degelder's Plaza 888 project, where three of four towers are under construction.

As for subsequent developments, Stovell echoed standard holding-company policy with: "Because your properties are always changing relative to each other, you just follow where the zoning potential is on them."

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 1, 2007 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Malcolm Parry has an interesting article today about West Pender Place and Reliance Holdings. Apparently a lot of density was transferred form Reliance's Gastown properties to the WPP site. He also notes that John Fluevog will probably take the Richard Kidd space.
He also mentions that Reliance is working on a $450 million 580,000 sq ft residential (70%)/hotel/commercial/retail project downtown and a 350,000 sq ft condo project near Plaza 88 in New Westminster.

By comparison (I checked on the City's website) - Shangri-La is 665,000 sq ft (before floor insertion) and The Ritz-Carlton is 440,000 sq ft.
Any other info / rumours out there? i.e. potential Reliance-owned site?

http://www.relianceholdings.com/commercial/index.html

602 West Hastings (Scotiabank Building) could be feasible (who owns the parkade across the alley?).
Outside possibilities - 402 West Pender (i.e. with rest of block?) or 788 Beatty.
Any possibility that they've bought the Bay Parkade site?
I don't know of another site that Reliance has acquired, but I doubt it is any of those you've mentioned.

602 W. Hastings - If joined with the parkade, the site would be about 30k sq ft. Problem is you'd be at about 15 FSR for residential alone, and you'd have to convince the City to close an alley for a condo project. Also, the owner of that parkade has refused to sell for years, I'd be surpised if Reliance were the ones who coughed up enough to get the owner to sell.

402 W. Pender - if they have the whole block it is again only about 30,000 sq ft. I don't see how they could get that much space in without massive floorplates, given height and view cone restrictions.

788 Beatty - too small.

The Holborn group bought the Bay Parkade site.

Post office site? I remember Jlousa talking about a 450 ft condo project downtown, any update on that?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:52 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I haven't heard to be honest, but if I were to guess I would venture it's either the parkade behing Scotia Tower (but city wants office only), or possibly one to the Granville St loop sites (the plans I've seen show two huge towers (450ftish) where each loop currently is) But I imagine those won't even hit the proposal stage until after the Granville St Redesign is completed.

If he has numbers like sqftage already it's a good chance some concrete details will surface in the next month.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:58 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Office sounds feasible but probably too far off.

Are there plans to redevelop the Scotia Tower / Vancouver Centre parkade - that's the only parking for Vancouver Centre and I think it's part of the CD-1 zoning for the site.

Wow, 450 ft next to (flanking?) the bridge? Probably not the best area for a condo/hotel combination though - I tend to think high end when I hear that.

Who owns the surface parking lot on Richards near Robson? I suppose it could also be the Telus parking garage on Robson @ Richards too. But as Phesto mentioned, it would have to be a big site and those aren't very big. i.e. Checked L'Hermitage sq ftage and its 281,600 sq ft. (even with its bonuses).

... and of course the Sutton Place concept comes to mind...

Last edited by officedweller; Nov 1, 2007 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:59 PM

> and a current project at the 1886-built 210 Carrall St.
> for occupancy in early 2008.
That's where the Irish Heather is going

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Hmm now that I think about it, wonder if it could be the redevelopment of the old Coast Hotel on Denman once the new Coast opens up. While 580,000sqft sounds large it's not that big if you use a decent sized floorplate. Fairmont Pacific Rim is 800,000sqft for reference.

Psst it's not the Post Office, that site when it's all said and done will be closer to 2Million sqft then .5Million.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 12:37 AM

Ya, I guess we'll hear about a rezoning or DP application if Reliance is talking square footages already.

The Telus site hasn't changed hands yet, but in any event -a mixed use scheme with max density + bonus for including office probably won't exceed 400,000 sq ft.

Has there been any discussion about demolishing the existing Coast on Denman? I just figured it would be retrofitted for condos given the current state of construction costs, but I imagine a new building in that location would sell at pretty high ppsf, especially if the new owner could rebuild to the same height.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:43 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

My understanding is also that they will retrofit the old coast hotel for condos, but I can also see that being almost as expensive as starting fresh. Replumbing all units, new electrical, new fire supression system, new fire panel, tearing down walls to increase sqft of units and then still ending up with awkward floorplans. Then selling cheaper as it's got the stigma of old and not new. I wouldn't touch that project unless I got it for land cost only, even then.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:00 AM
Hicksville Perspective

This isn't highrise related but, does relate to 'rumored' new Vancouver developments ... I heard a rumor, from a reliable source, that Molson Breweries is about to undergo a major expansion of their current facility located in the 1500 block of Burrard. Apparently the expansion will cost in the neighbourhood of $30M and will be built on what is currently Molson's parking lot. Not sure by how much this expansion will expand Molson's Vancouver bottling capacity but, I have heard that the increased capacity in the Vancouver facility is a direct result of Molson's shutting their Edmonton facility due to an extended strike @ the end of August, 2007 ... in addition to the increased production capacity, the expansion will house new employees and relocated employees again due to the Edmonton closure

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:03 AM

Good to hear, all the more reason to get totally wasted in this city.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 8:27 AM

^^I would of thought moving out to the burbs would of been in their long term plans because the land they sit on is worth a ton, not to mention that their businesses relies on the provincial and international markets so operating their facility in the middle of gridlocked Vancouver would be costly, inefficient and unnecessary. Interesting if they do decide to do a major expansion though because that will be a sign that they will remain at that location for another few decades, though I highly doubt this as I cant see how this is the best option for them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:22 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
This isn't highrise related but, does relate to 'rumored' new Vancouver developments ... I heard a rumor, from a reliable source, that Molson Breweries is about to undergo a major expansion of their current facility located in the 1500 block of Burrard. Apparently the expansion will cost in the neighbourhood of $30M and will be built on what is currently Molson's parking lot. Not sure by how much this expansion will expand Molson's Vancouver bottling capacity but, I have heard that the increased capacity in the Vancouver facility is a direct result of Molson's shutting their Edmonton facility due to an extended strike @ the end of August, 2007 ... in addition to the increased production capacity, the expansion will house new employees and relocated employees again due to the Edmonton closure
I wonder if aboriginal Canadians might gum this up; this site sits on the Kitsilano Indian Reserve which was parceled up and sold off years ago.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:23 PM
Site 8 Lives

^Unless Molson wanted to maintain that parcel of land for prestige/marketing purposes? For example, it would be a perfect location for a "Molson Amphitheatre" -- or some such entertainment amenity.

I suppose the other question is... Isn't that land contested by First Nations, and specifically the Burrard Band?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 10:07 PM

^If thats the case then I could understand the expansion plans since a sale of the land and redevelopment would be almost impossible.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:17 AM

what is the future of BC place stadium after the olympics..
i heard somewhere that the place would be torn down for condos..

who owns the stadium now?

i thought the whole concept of olympics is leaving a legacy...
it would be a shame to tear down the location of opening and closing ceremonies..instead, it shouldbe kept indefinitely

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 5:25 AM
Cheers!

Sounds like a rumour.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver