HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Attika in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 2:59 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Found an image with the article [by Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen June 4, 2011] from above, at http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx . It certainly stands out.
On the Citizen site there's no image.

EDIT: I found it on that press site you linked. It actually looks kinda nice since it actually has a definable top instead of just "ending".
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Last edited by Jamaican-Phoenix; Jun 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Found an image with the article [by Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen June 4, 2011] from above, at http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx . It certainly stands out.
that link didn't work for me, but try: http://digital.montrealgazette.com/e...69Q==&feed=rss

a good looking building in an inappropriate location still makes for a bad building in my books

Last edited by McC; Jun 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM. Reason: added comment

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 3:42 PM

Actually has a lot of design cues from the Minto Metropole, judging by that rendering alone...

I think it would be even better situated on the block between Bullman street and Scott though. Even a building that's 20 floors in that location would look great...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 5:21 PM

As usual, the discussion will end up focusing on the wrong thing (i.e., size). Sure, Ottawa needs to get over its gag reflex and learn how to swallow 36 storeys. But the real problem is the way the building interacts (or, in this case, doesn't interact) with the street. There is WAY too much blank wall facing the sidewalk near the main entrance in that rendering. So, whether it's 8 storeys or 36, this design needs a do-over.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:51 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:16 PM

I see no reason why it can't be approved. It is very close to high-quality transit service and would not have any significant interference on the Peace Tower views...

I'd love to see some 50+ storey buildings in Ottawa (corporate headquarters relocating) but a new site (Hurdman perhaps?) would be necessary for them.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
As usual, the discussion will end up focusing on the wrong thing (i.e., size). Sure, Ottawa needs to get over its gag reflex and learn how to swallow 36 storeys. But the real problem is the way the building interacts (or, in this case, doesn't interact) with the street. There is WAY too much blank wall facing the sidewalk near the main entrance in that rendering. So, whether it's 8 storeys or 36, this design needs a do-over.
Um, if you look carefully, the only part of the ground floor in that shot that the developer owns is left side where the trees are on the sidewalk, which I believe is were they will retain the Orange gallery? The rest of the front is on the right side is the Carleton Tavern and another building (kids clothing store?) which isn't part of the development.

The lot for this, afterall is an L shape, so the frontages on Parkdale, Hamilton and Spencer would be the unknowns from this drawing...

Perhaps we all better look before we jump here...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 9:23 PM

I can't see a high rise unknown like Tega being the first to take the Ottawa's Tallest title from Campeau and especially with the 12 million dollar abatement costs. I think someone will build a new tallest in Ottawa but I would expect it to come from an experienced high rise builder like Claridge, Charlesfort, Urban Capital, or perhaps a commercial tower. Mastercraft (SOHO) is also trying but they have yet to cash out on a single SOHO project and may be biting off more than they can chew in the unlikely case it should be approved.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:17 PM

I like the top of that building. And the colour? Kryptonite!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Um, if you look carefully, the only part of the ground floor in that shot that the developer owns is left side where the trees are on the sidewalk, which I believe is were they will retain the Orange gallery? The rest of the front is on the right side is the Carleton Tavern and another building (kids clothing store?) which isn't part of the development.

The lot for this, afterall is an L shape, so the frontages on Parkdale, Hamilton and Spencer would be the unknowns from this drawing...

However you look they're destroying alot of what should be considered heritage. This on top of a building design that doesn't match it's surroundings - if it took more cues from the Parkdale Lofts, I'd be much happier. I'm definitely afraid of another horrible teal glass building, which from this rendering is certainly possible.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post

So that big blank wall isn't theirs? Alright, I reserve judgment until I see more podium details. I'm not in love with the design as is, but I think something like it (if not this actual tower) is inevitable here. This neighbourhood, like many pre-war inner suburbs, is going to see increasing pressure to accommodate development on this scale. I keep wondering how long it's going to take that surface parking lot at the Montreal Road end of the Cummings Bridge to disappear under a high-density redevelopment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:07 AM
R2-D2's army of death

This development needs some more info before I pass full judgement on it, but it would fit in rather nicely IF Tunney's Pasture was more dense and developed in height. The feds keep promising to do that, but we never see any progress. Typical.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:56 PM

less likely to see any new fed construction there than ever...what with harper planning to shrink the private sector through retiree attrition

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
less likely to see any new fed construction there than ever...what with harper planning to shrink the private sector through retiree attrition
I don't know if thats really true how many new office buildings have been built in the last 20 years very few now we have 3 uc in gatineau 1 uc in downtown and 1 in the train yards.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I don't know if thats really true how many new office buildings have been built in the last 20 years very few
really?
3 phases of Constitution Square, Minto Phase3, the CBC building, 131 Queen, the BMO building on Laurier, The new EDC building (still under construction but now almost complete, and I'm going to assume your downtown u/c is the Lorne replacement)...

that's just downtown, and just off the top of my head, and I can think of 8 substantial office buildings, mostly filled with public servants. The PS has ballooned in the past ten years, and that growth phase is now over. We may not see much contraction (I think this government is more talk than walk) but we'll definitely see curtailed growth.

Last edited by McC; Jun 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
that's just downtown, and just off the top of my head, and I can think of 8 substantial office buildings, mostly filled with public servants. The PS has ballooned in the past ten years, and that growth phase is now over. We may not see much contraction (I think this government is more talk than walk) but we'll definitely see curtailed growth.
We'll see lots of growth in "Federal Protective Services" at the expense of the rest of the PS.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
But with the housing market still so hot on the West Side, and the feds looking for funds, now would be a real good time for the feds to consider selling off un-used lands like those on the west sides of Parkdale and Banting in Tunney's Pasture for private development.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:01 PM

Quote:
really?
3 phases of Constitution Square, Minto Phase3, the CBC building, 131 Queen, the BMO building on Laurier, The new EDC building (still under construction but now almost complete, and I'm going to assume your downtown u/c is the Lorne replacement)...

I think there is a difference in terms of new buildings between the gov funding it from the start and a building beeing built then the gov moves in.I maybe wrong but the edc/minto 131 queen were not known from the start they would house gov workers while the building under construction now it is known they will be gov buildings.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I think there is a difference in terms of new buildings between the gov funding it from the start and a building beeing built then the gov moves in.I maybe wrong but the edc/minto 131 queen were not known from the start they would house gov workers while the building under construction now it is known they will be gov buildings.
131 Queen was purpose built PPP for Parliament swing space during renovation/reconstruction on the Hill.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
But with the housing market still so hot on the West Side, and the feds looking for funds, now would be a real good time for the feds to consider selling off un-used lands like those on the west sides of Parkdale and Banting in Tunney's Pasture for private development.
Definitely agree with you here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa