HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I know of at least three grocery stores on Yonge Street south of Bloor in Toronto.
The Sobeys recently closed down. So I guess Rideau and Yonge south of Bloor have the same number of grocery stores. Perhaps Rideau doesn't need two if that part of Yonge only has two.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Nov 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDensity View Post
we have a chance to provide input in a way none of the NIMBY community associations can!
Have to call BS on this one. When you look at some of the people active in the CA's in downtown, you realize that they're the ones that are actually fighting some of the crap that developers pull in this town, but are also probably the first to support decent urban design. People like Eric Darwin, Jay Baltz, Charles Akben-Marchand and I'll throw Thomas McVeigh in the ring too, as he's currently the president of the CCCA (elected as such despite standing up for more density pretty consistently and known on this site as m0nkyman ), know the issues. We're not exactly NIMBY's. We're enthusiastic urbanists. We've also been around the block a few times, and have seen some pretty crappy developments skid through city hall and we'd like to see better. I personally voted for the OMB appeal of 96 Nepean by the CCCA, because it was crappy urban planning, and a middle finger held up to the idea of doing a proper point tower. And we provide input. If you want to support better density, join your community association and change the vibe of it. Do the crap work of going to meetings, writing the letters to council, the motions, the background papers for the board. All that crap does amount to something in the end.

There's nothing wrong with posting stuff on SSP, but in the words of DOA, TALK-ACTION=ZERO

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 5:43 PM

Couldn't agree more - why in Ottawa do we seem to group everything same together - the burbs - well all burbs - west downtown a cluster of towers and now same for Rideau - we have the space - we should be spreading out the development on a scale the creates exciting areas, not same = same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhgr View Post
Found this rendering on the citizen's website, I don't know if it's been posted yet:
My first reaction is a big yawn. I'm over being annoyed by the forest of 27ish-storey buildings in this area.... (are we on our way to our own mini City Place....CP???)
I'm not completely over it, though: more than ever I'm wondering if there's anybody in charge of urban planning in this city? Or is it only this guy who absolutely wants to see the peace tower from anywhere. He probably doesn't live downtown anyway.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 11:10 PM

I hope there is retail facing (and doors) on Cumberland and George. Please nothing like the back of Claridge I & II.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 12:52 PM

No news on this in a while... Who is making this one again, Claridge or... ?
If so, well I guess they are kind of busy with CP III and IV and trying to get Icon off the ground.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 2:29 PM

The Icon with 10% of units sold on a total of over 300!!!!! really looks like it will not get off the ground for quite a while. That's a lot of units to sell in Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
If so, well I guess they are kind of busy with CP III and IV and trying to get Icon off the ground.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
On top of that they're building a hotel in the market and the Waterstreet development.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:26 PM
National Capital Region

going to UDRP April 2
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...operty/agendas

Looks like a new design and they are back to using Neuf Architects
Site Plan Control Application for a mixed-use development, with three towers, 19, 26, and 28 storeys in height

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:38 AM

Brilliant! Anything but 3x more Claridge 28 story towers in this spot please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:48 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Brilliant! Anything but 3x more Claridge 28 story towers in this spot please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEUF (formerly DCYSA) is the architect for CP 1-4, Union du Canada Redevelopment, and many other Claridge projects

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
NEUF (formerly DCYSA) is the architect for CP 1-4, Union du Canada Redevelopment, and many other Claridge projects
Can't wait for more of the same bland, cheap looking garbage they continue to build , what to do

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:53 PM

Yay...More Claridge crap filling in the Byward Market.

Last edited by 11a2b3; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:55 PM

If anyone from Claridge is creeping on us, thank you for revising the height to give us some variation. Greatly appreciated.

I just hope the design is more in-line with your now defunct Beth Shalom proposal or maybe even Tribeca.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.ot13 View Post
if anyone from claridge is creeping on us, thank you for revising the height to give us some variation. Greatly appreciated.

I just hope the design is more in-line with your now defunct beth shalom proposal or maybe even tribeca.
+1

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:10 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:24 PM

Beats the old design, but still not good...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:25 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OMG... does Claridge really have no taste at all? Silly question... we know that they don't. This is just another set of tightly packed Soviet-style housing blocks. Somebody please do something to make Claridge come to their senses and add some style, flair, or general good design to their projects.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:25 PM

Underwhelming, yet again. I think the worst part, for me, is that brown tower...

Judging by the rooftop of the hotel portion, I'm guessing Claridge has inked (or would like to ink) a deal with Aloft Hotels (a Starwood chain). Coincidentally, the one in Montreal is also designed by Neuf Architect(e)s.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:32 PM

Good eye citydwlr.

Now that Claridge seems to be "in" with hotels, I wonder if they are planning a third one on Lyon.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:34 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Underwhelming, yet again. I think the worst part, for me, is that brown tower...

Judging by the rooftop of the hotel portion, I'm guessing Claridge has inked (or would like to ink) a deal with Aloft Hotels (a Starwood chain). Coincidentally, the one in Montreal is also designed by Neuf Architect(e)s.
Good theory.. I searched the PDF and the file name is "I:\P_10900\10914\CAD\Option Rental-Aloft Séparés 2.3\10914_A100 Site Plan_UDRP.dwg"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa