HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 8:03 AM

^^^ OK, you're right. Just expressing my frustration.

Sometimes I drive myself crazy thinking about the "what if's" surrounding Russell/Williams, old South Portland, the cast iron era, Minnesota Ave...

I still think a couple of the Legacy blocks should be relinquished, though.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:53 PM
Well designed mixed use

A hospital expansion brings big bucks and lots of jobs to the neighborhood. If done right, it will seriously raise the values of the surrounding properties and create development opportunities.

One thing you and I will probably agree on is that the PDC needs to be spending most of its urban renewal money in places like North Williams, MLK, Lents, etc. The Vanport Square developer in my opinion has done a fantastic job. History has been really shitty to Portland's African American community (as well as its Jewish and Italian communities), and making new opportunities to be build community is the way to make it right.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:00 PM

What is the history of Minnesota Avenue?

That picture of Russell is amazing. I had no idea how built up that area used to be. The PDC does have a dubious history. I think investment should be taking place in East Portland (East of 82nd) not North Portland. North Portland is lost to gentrification and will redevelop on its own. East Portland, however, is in the process of turning into a horrible ghetto.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:41 PM

Minnesota Ave was removed for I-5.

I think the hospital can expand (which I'm not opposed to, although the location of the parking garage is key) and give back the blocks north of Russell between Williams and Vancouver. Those blocks seem much more suited to mixed-use development anyways, as opposed to the ones closer to the freeway. It won't happen, of course.

I agree with both of you about urban renewal money. East Portland needs help fast. Parts of N/NE still need PDC help, too, though. Only recently has the PDC come through on its promises to MLK neighborhoods, and Vanport Square is the only project that looks to be immediately successful.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:29 AM

Construction photo

I took the photos that comprise this image at about 1230 on Tue 04Dec07.
Trammell Crow project site (architect: Sera)
Corner opposite me is N Failing St & N Mississippi Ave

Last edited by Castillonis; Dec 8, 2007 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 4:18 AM

Mississippi Lofts construction photo

I took these photos at about 1600 on Fri 07Dec07.
http://www.mississippiavenuelofts.com/

Larger image 2000x638
http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/348...8781320_rs.jpg

Last edited by Castillonis; Dec 8, 2007 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:47 AM

Mississippi Lofts Sold Sign

I took this photo at about 1600 on Fri 07Dec07.
Mississippi Lofts sold sign
Second floor, Third floor, Fourth floor

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 4:08 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

shotgun units! lol

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 10:05 PM

Wow... my very own thread.

The Vanport project looks alright to me, despite the cupola. The little courtyard area will be a nice addition to a nasty pedestrian environment.

Vanport Square inverts phasing

Economic conditions force developers and PDC to rethink project’s scope

POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Friday, February 1, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

Long in development, the first phase of the three-phase Vanport Square project on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard has opened. But concerns about current economic conditions have forced developers and the Portland Development Commission to rethink how the project progresses.

The first phase of Vanport Square contains 42,000 square feet of commercial condominium space. Ten of the 16 spaces have already been bought by small businesses, and two more are expected to sell in the near future.

Originally planned as the last phase, the leased commercial property element of the development will be the next to break ground, with 24 Hour Fitness anchoring the building.

Developers had planned on moving forward with row housing as the second phase but recently decided to make that the final piece of the project, in the hopes of riding out the housing market slump.

Making changes to the development is nothing new to Ray Leary, a co-developer of the project since the beginning. When first developed, and with the help of Gerding Edlen Development Co., Vanport was envisioned as a much larger project, anchored by a grocery chain. Fred Meyer expressed interest before abruptly pulling out.

At about the same, Gerding Edlen decided to step out of the development partnership.

Developers then came up with a second vision for Vanport – creating the project around a proposed call center company, Vesta. But that plan also was eventually nixed as being “convoluted” and not fitting with needs of the neighborhood, Leary says.

Finally, armed with one more way of making the development work – a three-part, multi-purpose development, each with different ownership models – Leary shored up support again with the PDC.

“We basically had to convince people that this new, rather revolutionary, model for urban infill could work,” Leary said.

Bernie Kerosky, PDC’s project manager for Vanport Square, says he hopes the development, which will cost about $9 million, spurs further investment in the area.

With the new timeline, co-developer Jeff Sacket of Capstone Partners isn’t sure when the next phase – the former phase three – will start construction. The developers must first finish designs and register for permits.

What the developers do know, however, is that despite the changes to the project’s phasing and past challenges, Vanport Square has passed the first of three hurdles. The hope is that when it’s finally completed, it complements and helps revitalize a long-time forgotten neighborhood.

“We like to repeat what Mayor Potter has always said about this area,” Sacket said. “We want to make Portland’s MLK Boulevard the best in the nation.”

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 10:53 PM

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 2:27 AM

I'll keep you company rivers^2!

Nice to see affordable housing on MLK

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 9:57 AM
timpitts57

The new businesses at Vanport are nice, but I really can't wait for 24 Hour Fitness. MLK will get there eventually...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:14 PM

This is good news:

MLK momentum keeps on rolling
The planned Casey Building would take advantage of new PDC loans on a site not far from Vanport Square

POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Monday, February 4, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

Development momentum continues to mount along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, as another mixed-use project continues to shore up funds for its multi-phase project. The proposed $6.5 million project intends to supplement its coffers using new Portland Development Commission loans first made available in the commission’s 2007-2008 budget.

The Casey Building is the first part of developer James Adamson’s proposed three-phase, 80,000-square-foot development at the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Alberta Street, a short distance from where the first part of the three-phase Vanport Square recently opened.

In late January, the development team applied for a relatively new loan program from the Portland Development Commission, said Joanne Daunt, project coordinator for the PDC. And Adamson hopes the loans act as an investment for the neighborhood.

“We want to use every means possible to make sure we have the funds available to bring in tenants to that area,” Adamson said.

Called Commercial Property Redevelopment loans, their purpose is to revitalize blighted areas or rehabilitate historic buildings that have fallen into disrepair. The loans are based on tax increment financing and are therefore tied to physical improvements being made to the structure, which the developers intend to do by opening up storefront space along the bottom floor and making seismic adjustments to the structure. The maximum amount for a loan is $100,000, or $200,000 if the building is city-owned.

The PDC expects to rule on the application in about two months. And, according to the commission, the Casey Building is one of the first projects to use the loan program.

“Like most bureaucratic things, this will be a multi-week process,” Daunt said. “We’ve looked at their preliminary materials, and it looks like a really solid program that will support the goals of the (area) and something that will complement the Vanport.”

Adamson is no stranger to the stretch, part of the Convention Center urban renewal area. He has developed five other commercial properties along Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. And in recent years, he’s seen a shift in perspective – away from the common perception of the boulevard as run-down and decrepit to something far more positive.

“Years ago, when I started working in the area, people thought I was nuts,” Adamson said. “But I think that over a five-year period, this area will definitely be a place where you can provide a lot of good services.”

Providing services while staggering development through phases can also create much-needed cash flow, Daunt says.

“If you phase development, you can maybe get a portion of the building tenanted and get cash flowing as you start to develop the next phase,” Daunt said. “It’s easier to pull some developments apart and do them in chunks, in a lot of ways.”

For Adamson, he sees his development, along with the still-developing Vanport Square, as tandem projects that will open up the area to future investment.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:31 PM

^^^ FYI Adamson is one half of "Beech Street Partners". They are building the new Planned Parenthood clinic at Beech St. Walsh has been selected as the contractor; Ankrom is the architect.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:21 PM

Mississippi & N Failing Construction photo

Mississippi & N Failing Construction photo
Map for clarification
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...69168624704511

CAVEAT: This photo is about one month old. Currently the SW corner of the project is at grade / ground level. This is not the loft project. This site is across from Laughing planet burrito cafe and Lorenzo's cafe on N Mississippi. Excavation started after the google streetview image was collected.

1260x543 17" monitors

1960x845 22" monitors
http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/465...1083612_rs.jpg

NOTE: I took the photos that comprise this image about one month ago at 22:56 on Tue 05Feb08.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:38 PM

Digging Mississippi mud
Developer tailors residential project to N. Portland neighborhood scale
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

One of the largest excavation projects ever launched on Portland's eastside has swallowed an entire block along North Mississippi Avenue.

But the impressive full-block hole in the ground belies the intimate scale of the apartment buildings and retail stores that will eventually be constructed at Mississippi and Failing Street.

Construction on the 188-unit apartment project by Trammell Crow Residential will start when excavators finish digging the underground parking garage.

Dubbed the North Mississippi Apartments and slated to be formally named in a community naming contest later this summer, the mixed-use property is being constructed at the site of a former warehouse and bowling alley, in the middle of a quirky and thriving Portland neighborhood. The apartments, plus some ground-level retail space, are set to open in the summer of 2009.

Trammell Crow Residential is a national developer and operator of multifamily projects. Its 2004 Pearl District project, the 10th@Hoyt apartments, sold last year for more than $300,000 per unit, the standing record paid for a multifamily project in the Portland area.

Knitting its latest undertaking into the Mississippi neighborhood meant putting parking underground; hence the need to excavate 20 feet or so of soil from the site.

Even though the project will eventually fit with the smallish scale of its Mississippi neighborhood, the gaping hole startles even the developers and designers working on the project.

"Right now, it looks giant," agreed Kurt Schultz, of Sera Architects, who notes that as underground parking goes, the one-story edition at North Mississippi is pretty tame.

Underground parking is the key to creating a project that blends into the surroundings, said Thomas DiChiara, managing director for Trammell Crow in Portland.

By putting all parking below street level, the entire property is opened up for pedestrian walkways, bike lanes and a series of retail plazas and green spaces that will beckon visitors as well as residents to criss-cross the property.

Still, underground parking is a new concept on the east side and represents a departure even for Trammell Crow, which is installing cheaper above-ground parking at the 294-unit Lexan South Waterfront project it is building near downtown Portland.

Schultz said the benefits of underground parking will become obvious once construction starts on the three buildings that will make up the North Mississippi project.

Two are three-story walk-up apartment buildings that will front Albina Avenue. Angled roofs and the height is intended to echo the single-family homes that face the project from the opposite side of Albina Avenue, Schultz said.

The third building will be an L-shaped construct packed with apartments and retail space along the corner at Mississippi and Failing. The building will give the appearance of being two structures, with six stories on the Failing side and five on the Mississippi one.

"The buildings will get it back down to the neighborhood scale," said Schultz, the architect.

DiChiara said Trammell Crow had long wanted to do a project in the historic Mississippi neighborhood. Last fall, it paid $5.1 million for a former warehouse that offered the size it needed to do something significant. Still, working in the Mississippi neighborhood means complementing what's already there, not overwhelming it, he said.

"Part of our design was to break up the scale of the buildings," he said.

To do that, the development team punctuated the oversized lot with plazas and open space as well as buildings. It answered neighborhood requests to reopen the alley between Mississippi and Albina, which had been closed. The alley will serve walkers and bicyclists, but not cars.

DiChiara said it's easy to love the neighborhood.

"Mississippi's got the 'there' there already," he said, chronicling the mix of restaurants, bars, boutiques and retail shops that attract residents and visitors. There are, however, relatively few for-rent apartments, a niche Trammell Crow aims to fill.

"It was a natural fit for providing for the rental community there," he said.

The Mississippi apartments are being constructed as market rate units, with no public funds involved to sponsor affordable units.

The Mississippi project together with its 22-story sister at South Waterfront will likely open to strong demand from renters next year. Both projects are scheduled to open in mid-2009, following a period of slow apartment construction.

That slow period translates to relatively few new units available during a period when homebuying has slowed, the economy continues to add jobs and existing apartments continue to be converted into condominiums, though at a significantly slower pace.

Together, the combination of limited supply and rising demand is pushing up both occupancy rates and rents, according to the winter edition of The Barry Apartment Report, compiled by multifamily appraiser Mark Barry.

According to Barry, homeownership rates in greater Portland have dropped more than two full points since the heady days of 2005. That alone is the leading reason for occupancy rates that are approaching 97 percent, which allowed landlords to hike the rent on units being turned over to new renters by as much as 10 percent in 2007.

Barry estimates that local permitting agencies approved about 1,500 units of new apartment construction in 2007, among the lowest levels in recent memory.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:29 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castillonis View Post
CAVEAT: This photo is about one month old. Currently the SW corner of the project is at grade / ground level.
Here's one from last week. Not great for showing construction progress, I know.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Underground parking is the key to creating a project that blends into the surroundings, said Thomas DiChiara, managing director for Trammell Crow in Portland.

By putting all parking below street level, the entire property is opened up for pedestrian walkways, bike lanes and a series of retail plazas and green spaces that will beckon visitors as well as residents to criss-cross the property.

Still, underground parking is a new concept on the east side and represents a departure even for Trammell Crow, which is installing cheaper above-ground parking at the 294-unit Lexan South Waterfront project it is building near downtown Portland.
well this pisses me off

anyone have a rendering for the Mississippi project? i can't picture it

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow, they have a tower crane on site? I bet the neighbors love that!
lol, talk about massive contrast in scale... !

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 2:18 AM

^^^ It looks pretty crazy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland